Start by marking “Don't Worry Bear” as Want to Read:
Don't Worry Bear

Don't Worry Bear (Bear)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  441 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
The star of Thank You Bear returns to make a new friend, as well as a wonderful discovery. When Caterpillar tells Bear that he is making a cocoon, Bear is worried. Will Caterpillar be safe? Will he be warm? Will he stay dry? Throughout the long winter, Caterpillar reassures him that all is fine. But the day comes when Caterpillar's cocoon is empty and Bear begins worrying ...more
Published March 27th 2008 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Don't Worry Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Worry Bear

Lisa Vegan
Jun 06, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids ages (even before) 2-8 who worry, to teach about nature, for discussion of friendship & empathy
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Adorable!

This is the story of a caring bear, who worries about a caterpillar’s welfare. For kids who don’t know this creature’s particular life cycle, there’s a lovely surprise at the end.

This is a wonderful and reassuring tale for kids who worry, for teaching about nature, for teaching about empathy and friendship, and it’s both very sweet and educational.

By deliberately viewing the illustrations as I think I’d have done at ages 2 to 8, I was able to fully appreciate them, their simplicity.

It
Kathryn
May 20, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I'm quite smitten with Bear and his sweet, thoughtful and caring nature. He is sensitive about a little caterpillar when it goes into its cocoon--the caterpillar says, "Don't worry, Bear!" and promises he will see him again. Bear watches out for the cocoon through storms and his worry continues even as other creatures remind him that he doesn't need to worry. But when Bear finds the cocoon open and empty on the ground, will it turn out he had a reason to be worried? Or will a passing butterfly h ...more
Ann
Another wonderful "Bear" book!! I've also read "Thank You Bear" which I loved just as much!

Here, Bear's friend Caterpillar is going into the cocoon but Bear is worried about his friend. Caterpillar assures Bear that they'll see each other again, and not to worry.

But, Bear can't help being concerned for his friend, and his devotion and dedication to Caterpillar during the seasons is truly touching.

A wonderful story about friendship and worries. The Bear books - with their simple and sweet words a
Kristen Rigau
Mar 25, 2015 Kristen Rigau rated it really liked it
The short children's book, Don't Worry Bear, written by Greg Foley, is a very comforting, cute story about a bear and a caterpillar. Bear is exploring one day and finds the caterpillar getting ready to nest in it's cacoon and turn into a butterfly. Bear doesn't quit understand this process and begins to worry about the caterpillar. He visits him everyday in the rain, sun, and snow. One day when he goes to visit the caterpillar is no longer there. He then see's a beautiful butterfly coming his wa ...more
Falan Miller
Jan 31, 2016 Falan Miller rated it really liked it
The book "Don't Worry Bear" by Greg E. Foley was a sweet book. It was about a little bear who befriends a caterpillar. The caterpillar soon made a cocoon and the little bear was confused and worried. The bear would come by and check on the caterpillar constantly. In the end the caterpillar becomes a silk moth. "Don't Worry Bear" is a book about caring between friends.

I loved this book because it is a sweet book about friendship. The bear in this story is adorable! This book is simple, but has a
Renee
Mar 26, 2014 Renee rated it really liked it
Bear likes to visit his friend caterpillar even during the different weather - wind, snow, etc. Bear worries about his little friend and wants to make sure he is okay when he is in his coccoon. But the caterpillar always tells Bear not to worry.

One day, Bear visit his friend and find the coccoon on the ground with a whole in it. He thinks caterpillar got hurt. But a moth flutters by and says not to worry, he is here! (in his new form)

Short and simple text with minimal illustrations make a grea
Nolan Johnson
Nov 20, 2014 Nolan Johnson rated it liked it
A. This book is about a bear who met a caterpillar who as building a cocoon. The bear was worried about the caterpillar who is in the cocoon. He tried to take care of the caterpillar but the caterpillar kept telling the bear he was fine. One day the caterpillar wasn't there and the bear was really worried but a butterfly flew up and told the bear he was fine.

B. The major theme in this book is not to worry.

C. I would use this book to teach students about caterpillars transforming into a butterfl
(NS) Lisa
Oct 17, 2009 (NS) Lisa rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story of friendship between a caterpillar and a bear. The two are the best of friends until one late afternoon, little bear discovers the caterpillar hard at work spinning a cocoon. "What are you doing?" asked Bear. "I am making a cocoon," said Caterpillar. "I'll stay inside for a while. But I promise you will see me again." Bear worries about the caterpillar, and he comes back many times (in both rain and shine) to check to see how his friend is doing. Bear comes at night, o ...more
Kirsten
Oct 07, 2011 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Summary
Though Caterpillar has told Bear not to worry about him as he builds himself a cocoon, Bear is uneasy. Especially as time goes on and Caterpillar has to deal with wind, cold, etc. He feels better when mouse tells him that Caterpillar is sleeping—but then.. Bear finds the cocoon empty! At the end of the story a beautiful silk moth lands on Bear’s paw, explaining that he’s the former caterpillar.

Review
This book is great for is simplistically. Every bit as charming as the first "bear" book
Jun 21, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
Don't Worry Bear features Bear's friendship with Caterpillar. Caterpillar, as caterpillars do, spins a cocoon. Bear checks up on his friend in the dark, in the rain, and in the wind. The caterpillar reassures Bear that he doesn't need to worry. The story has an obvious and sweet ending.

I don't love Bear. I think that the stories are very simple and that Bear is sort of lame. That being said, this is exactly why the books appeal to children -- the story is straight-forward and Bear is a kind, th
Melissa Dwyer
Sep 16, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it really liked it
Originally rated G+ by Lucy Thomas
Large print text simply describes a friendship between the main character, Bear, and his friend, Caterpillar. Bear’s caring ways are shown in his expressions and kind gestures and nicely presented in the illustrations. The book has reinforced binding. The 1st grade class of students to whom the story was read, enjoyed the story and liked how Bear was always concerned about Caterpillar. A nice discussion about friendship followed. This book could also be used wi
Meg McGregor
May 07, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A charming story for nap time or bed time, this relates how worried Bear is when his friend, Caterpillar, is wrapped in a cocoon.

Bear worries that his friend will be cold, or lonely, or windy, or scared of the dark.

Little ones will love the surprise at the end.
Angela D.
Another one of Greg Foley's bear books that I enjoy. The bear is worrying over his friend caterpillar while he is in the raccoon. Good way to introduce empathy to a toddler class and discuss nature of moths and butterflies.
Casey
Sep 07, 2015 Casey rated it really liked it
Simple book that incorporates life cycle of a butterfly ("silk moth" in the book). Pictures are small for a large crowd, but fixed this by explaining what was going on. Parents checked out every copy post-storytime.
Mary
May 15, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
As a professional worrywort, I related to Bear's need to check up on his friend Caterpillar. Caterpillar reassures bear that he's cozy, warm and dry in his cocoon, despite dark, wind, rain and snow. But when Bear finds the cocoon empty one day, he begins to worry anew. Will he ever see his friend again?

The spare, sweet illustrations are just right. I read this at storytime today, and the children were transfixed. The one gripe I have, and it's a small one, is that the author chose to make caterp
Bree
May 14, 2014 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
A picture book for preschoolers who are learning about life cycles and emotions. Simple illustrations fill the book and the pages/words are just enough to keep a child of that age entertained.
Allison Parker
Mar 27, 2011 Allison Parker rated it really liked it
Bear makes a new friend, Caterpillar, who is building himself a cacoon. Bear cannot help but worry: will he see his friend again? Will the wind sweep the cacoon away? Will Caterpillar make it through the winter? Seasons change, and finally Bear discovers an empty cacoon. He is saddened at the thought of losing his friend, until a beautiful moth reveals that everything is as it should be. Sparse page designs directs readers' attention to the expressions of worry on Bear's face. The repeating stor ...more
Todd Stansbury
Jun 26, 2014 Todd Stansbury rated it it was amazing
Cute little story that explores a bears concern over what will happen to a caterpillar that it befriends. Very enjoyable story.
DuPar
Feb 03, 2016 DuPar rated it really liked it
Bear is worried for his friend caterpillar who is making a cocoon.
Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill
Oh my gosh...this is so dang adorable.
Anna
Apr 21, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing
One of the sweetest books about friendship around. Bear and caterpillar are friends. One day, bear discovers caterpillar busy making a cocoon. Caterpillar promises that bear will see him again, but bear is worried. It rains, and the wind blows, and then one day, bear finds the cocoon empty. Don't worry bear, this story has a happy ending!

Great preschool read-aloud. Read it with Petr Horacek's Butterfly, Butterfly and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Mommywest
May 27, 2013 Mommywest rated it it was amazing
Sweet little story about a bear who waits and worries as his friend, Caterpillar, changes into a silk moth over the course of several months. Always, the underlying theme is, "Don't worry; I'm fine. I'll see you again soon; I'll be back soon." Excellent for reinforcing lessons about friendship, coming and going, and the process of metamorphosis.
Janin
Feb 17, 2012 Janin rated it really liked it
I read this book online at http://www.wegivebooks.org . It's a great little book for introducing young children to the metamorphosis of a caterpillar into a butterfly and the importance of patience. My boys have already covered this in school, so as we went along, they were very proud to tell me about the chrysilas and pupa. (:
Emily Goodin
I love this book so much! It has great illustrations! I think the main lesson in this book is how to be a good friend. It shows that good friends are there no matter what the weather! It would be also good to show how a caterpillar changes into a butterfly. I think it's a great beginner book and would be appropriate for K-2 grade.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
This is a sweet story about not being afraid of change. The text seems just the right length, and the illustrations are absolutely adorable.[return][return]Still, I would have preferred if the main character took a more active role in the plot--as it is, his main contribution is that he worries over and over again.
Laudys
Nov 13, 2012 Laudys rated it it was amazing
I melted in a warm poodle of cuteness.

What a sweet book! The illustrations are clear, simple and lovely, the pages are well thought, playing with the soft and solid colours and not only is a book about friendship and caring, but it has a subtle demonstration of the season cycle.

I really liked it.
Marisa
Aug 06, 2008 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute illustrations. Bear makes friends with a caterpillar just as he's making his cocoon. Bear worries about his friends, comes to check on him numerous time over the winter. Each time, caterpillar tells bear (from within his cocoon) that's he's okay. I bet you can guess the end.
Hye Eun
Apr 06, 2011 Hye Eun rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, animal
This book goes over the stages of the caterpillar turning into a cacoon and then into a moth. I could use this book when teaching about these kind of things in science. Also, you can teach children that you don't have to worry too much about things because everything will be okay. Prek-k
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Bear and Caterpillar share a very special friendship. Caterpillar begins to change into a cacoon. Bear becomes increasingly concerned. Caterpillar is sure to remind him that he will be back. It has a great plot and ending. Excellent book that touches on the life cycle of Caterpillar.
Sung Baick
Apr 15, 2011 Sung Baick rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book! Bear worries about his friend caterpillar when he goes into his cocoon. This would be great for kindergartners when talking about the life cycle of a butterfly. Although this book doesn't go into any detail, teachers can reference to this book.
  • The Bear Who Shared
  • Peanut
  • I Spy Under the Sea
  • Who Has These Feet?
  • Hugless Douglas
Award-winning author-illustrator Greg Foley grew up in Austin, Texas, and attended the Rhode Island School of Design. He now designs and creative-directs Visionaire, V Magazine, VMAN, VFiles and lives in Greenwich Village, New York.

For more information visit the Greg Foley author page on Facebook!
More about Greg E. Foley...

Bear (5 books)