Midwinter Sacrifice

Midwinter Sacrifice (Malin Fors #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  1,808 ratings  ·  238 reviews
'An investigation consists of a mass of voices, the sort you can hear, and the sort you can't. You have to listen to the soundless voices, Malin. That's where the truth is hidden.'

The snow covered all the tracks, as the killer knew it would. But it couldn't hide the victim, the man who now hung naked from a lonely tree on a frozen plain.

Malin Fors is first on the scene. A...more
Hardback, 440 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2007)

Neide Parafitas
Inverno na Suécia.

Nas planícies de Ostergotland é encontrado pendurado num carvalho um homem nu e obeso. O cadáver do homem dá mostras de grande violência, mas depressa se verifica que a neve ocultou qualquer eventual pista que pudesse existir do assassino, o que vem dificultar e muito a resolução deste mistério!!!

Um livro com suspense suficiente para nos deixar agarrados até à última página!!

Viciante! :)
Nancy Oakes
A solid 3.5 opener of a mystery series.

If you'd like a longer review, click on through; otherwise, here's a brief look.

While some of the plot was easy to figure out, the writing, the characters, and the exploration of small-town life and its secrets that permeates this solid police procedural drew me in and kept me there. Above all, though, Kallentoft is very good at creating atmosphere and maintaining it through the end -- a quality that I greatly admire in an author.

Detective Malin Fors live...more
Teresa
Uma escrita diferente, tocante, quase a raiar o intolerável, mas cuja leitura me aprisionou…
Personagens muito humanas, até para além da morte…
E demónios. O maior de todos!
E agora? Vou para um encontro com os anjos perdidos em terra queimada…
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

I have to admit I slogged my way through three quarters of this book and considered abandoning it several times. I didn't for several reasons, one being that this was a Netgalley request, the second because two reviewers I respect gave it a 4 star rating and thirdly because I admired several elements of the novel.
Midwinter Blood is a part crime/part police procedural in the style of what has been labeled 'Scandinavian Crime', not only for the author's origin and the setting but also distinguishe...more
Valentina
This book took me a little by surprise. I expected a straight-forward thriller, but instead got a beautifully written, almost literary mystery.
The atmosphere the author creates in this book is fantastic. The cold winter landscape seeps into every page, into every character’s consciousness, making it almost another character itself. Malin Fors, the protagonist, is an interesting one. Thankfully, she is not a walking cliché of dysfunction, as many of the cops or detectives in thrillers tend to be,...more
Joana
Adorei! Para além do mistério e do suspense (até à última página), gostei muito das personagens e de toda a dimensão humana e social. Tão interessante como a investigação em si, é a trama familiar da Malin, que penso que vou gostar de ver desenvolver-se nos outros livros.
Ancestral Gael
Why did I read it? I have been enjoying Scandinavian and Nordic fiction of late; something about it resonates with me, and this came up in recommendations somewhere, and as the reviews weren’t bad I decided to delve in.

What’s it about? A man is found hanging, seemingly sacrificed, in the woods outside Linköping, Sweden, during a bitterly cold, winter’s night. Malin Fors, a police detective and single mother, investigates, trying to find the victim, the perpetrator and her own way in life.

"An inv
Michael
In Linkoping, Sweden, Malin Fors is a young, superintendent of the police force with a teenage daughter. Malin is called to a murder scene where she sees an obese man who had been tortured and murdered. He is hanging from a tree.

The victim, Bengt Andersson was a man who was ignored by most people and bullied by others due to his weight and shyness. He lived in an area Malin describes as including "...scared kids, teased kids, never go to school kids. Alcoholic's kids."

His father was cruel and ab...more
Andreea
Citind cateva critici despre aceasta carte, am observat ca toate sunt pozitive. Am decis ca trebuie sa ii dau o sansa in momentul in care una dintre acestea suna ceva de genul "Mons Kallentoft este autorul care l-a surclasat pe Stieg Larsson".
Si nu mica mi-a fost suprinderea, inca de la inceputul cartii, cand am descoperit ca toata actiunea este narata la timpul prezent. Un detaliu care poate unora li se poate parea nesemnificativ, insa care pentru mine a insemnat o incomoditate pe parcursul ci...more
Jane
The opening is striking.

A man’s body, naked and mutilated, was found hanging from a tree on a frozen plane.

It was midwinter and snow had been falling heavily, obliterating evidence.

Malin Fors was first on the scene, and she would lead the investigation. She was a bright and capable detective, but she was struggling with life as the single mother of a teenage daughter. I liked her from the start.

The story moved slowly as the investigation moved forward.

It took time to identify the dead man. He ha...more
Đorđe Bajić
Snove u belom je 2007. godine napisao Šveđanin Mons Kallentoft. U romanu se upoznajemo sa policijskom inspektorkom Malin Fors koja će kasnije postati protagonistkinja još šest Kallentoftovih romana.

Kallentoft je ujednačeno mračan od početka do kraja – po atmosferi Snovi u belom podsećaju na Arnaldura Indriðasona (čija je odlična Močvara nedavno recenzirana na Popboksu) i nikada prežaljenog Stiega Larssona.

Roman počinje grotesknim ubistvom - nago telo muškarca pronađeno je kako visi sa drveta u...more
Diane S.
3.5 This is a very unusual Nordic mystery in that it almost reads like a stream of consciousness novel. Took some getting used to because the prose is anything but direct. Switches from third to first person consistently and the dead body has thoughts of its own. Yet I liked it quite a bit, the detective is an interesting character, her daughter has problems and she is still mourning the loss of her marriage. The storyline is brilliant, actually quite sad and the novel has many twists and turns...more
Elizabeth Moffat
I quite enjoyed this swedish crime novel, but read it in small chunks and think it is the kind of book you should read in a big gulp! My reason for this is because the writing style comes across as a stream of consciousness at times which is unique and enjoyable but requires a bit of concentration.
Sue
Tried to get into this, but I think the translation into English probably caused the clunkiness of this. I couldn't get past a few chapters.
Lukasz Pruski
Although Mons Kallentoft's novel "Midwinter Blood" is subtitled "A Thriller", it really is more of a police procedural. It is a Swedish procedural/thriller, with quite a complex plot. Detective Inspector Malin Fors is the main protagonist. Along with her police colleagues she is trying to solve a brutal murder of a man whose naked and mutilated body was found hanging from a tree. Soon, it becomes clear that the case has its roots in the distant past.

Ms. Fors is a divorced mother with a teenage d...more
Paul Pessolano
“Midwinter Blood” by Mons Kallentoft, published by Emily Bestler Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

This is another mystery/thriller coming out of Sweden. “Midwinter Blood” has been a bestseller and sold over 300,000 copies in Sweden alone.

Malin Fors is a crime investigator and is balancing her career with her home life. She is divorced and has a teenage daughter.

Malin is called out on a cold and wintery morning to the scene of a gruesome crime. A young man, who has been bullied and looked down up...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Set in the dead, cold of Sweden's winter, Mons Kannentoft challenges Stieg Larsson's blockbuster supremacy. Kannentoft starts the mystery with a fat man, dead and cold hanging in the Linkoping forest, there, in the opening pages, we meet police superintendent Malin Fors.

"In many ways, she's the ideal detective. Instinctive, driven, and not least, a bit manic. Intelligent? Certainly. But in a good way. She finds shortcuts, dares to take changes. But not rashly. Not often at least." That's what Ma...more
Mebhe
Que dire de plus si ce n'est que ce livre est tout simplement génial !

Le secret est bien gardé, jusqu'au bout. Et c'est du solide. Jusqu'au bout le lecteur, comme la commissaire Mal Fors et son acolyte Zakarias Martinsson (dit "Zeke") doutent devant les différentes pistes qui s'offrent à eux : le meurtre de "Bengt le Ballon" est-il l'oeuvre de petites graines de racailles en puissance ne supportant pas les personnes obèses ? Mais voilà également que le meurtre ressemble absolument à un rite du s...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
I am waiting for some library books to arrive in a series I am reading, so I saw this on the shelf and the cover attracted me to it. I thought I'd give it a go and it turned out to be a really good read. Another Swedish author, I have a real yen for Swedish/Icelandic books recently, and so far, I have found them great. This one is the first of a series of I think four, although, the author has written some others. The main character here was a female Detective called Malin Fors, a single mother...more
Allison Campbell
"The cold stinks." "Maybe. But it still doesn't seem to have any smell, does it?" I have been on quite a Nordic crime fiction kick lately (along with everyone else), so the publication of Kallentoft's MIDWINTER BLOOD in English (as the first of four novels following Superintendent Malin Fors of the Linkoping police) was exciting for me. While all Nordic crime fiction speaks of cold and isolation, MIDWINTER BLOOD adds another dimension that sets it apart: insight into nearly every character's tho...more
Sean the Bookonaut
Magnus Utvik[1] is quoted as saying “Don’t Bother with Stig Larsson, Kallentoft is better”. Now while I wince at the promotion of one author at the expense of another Utvik is right about the quality of Kallentoft’s Midwinter Sacrifice.

Kallentoft with help from translator Neil Smith delivers a distinct impression of place, of Swedish culture, along with a chilling tale of murder and the dark underside of family relations.

The Story

A man is found beaten, tortured and hung in a tree. A midwinter...more

In many ways, this book has many of the characteristics that I associate with the Scandinavain crime fiction genre. It is set in one of the coldest ever Swedish winters and police detective Malin Fors is called to the countryside outside the town of Linköping where a man is found mutilated and hanging from a tree in the frozen wastes. Initial investigations suggest that it could be connected the ancient practice of a ‘midwinter sacrifice’, making offerings to the gods in return for happiness. Ho...more
Ingrid Verschelling
Midwinterbloed is het eerste deel in een serie met commissaris Malin Fors in de hoofdrol.

Linköping- Zweden. Het is de koudste winter sinds mensenheugenis en 35 graden onder nul. Ergens op een afgelegen plek hangt, bungelend aan een eik, het naakte lichaam van een jonge man, Bengt Andersson. Malin Fors van de politie moet samen met haar collega Zeke Martinsson deze misdaad onderzoeken. Het lijkt op een ritueel offer zoals de Vikingen brachten tijdens midwinter om hun goden goed te stemmen. Dit br...more
Sara
I'm still slogging through this book, but I'm having a time of it. The problem could be due partly to me suffering from Whodunit Fatigue. I've been reading so many murder mystery/police procedural novels lately and they're all beginning to merge in my mind. Hardly the fault of the books themselves, but it would be nice if there was something fresh and new to read.

While I like that the personal lives of the characters are woven throughout, it would be nice if there was a bit more to them than si...more
Barbpie
Malin Fors is a single mom of teenaged Tove. Thee gripping theories of who done it. body count: 1? Single mom of Tove and police superintendent Malin Fors She is trying to solve the gruesome murder of Ball-Bengt, who was left suspended in a tree, with his flesh flayed off his body. Detecting in the dead of winter at below zero temperatures isn't easy. And family drama with Tove and Tove’s new boyfriend doesn't help. Kallentoft's writing style is both down to earth—when he is describing Malin’s d...more
Reinaldo Lourenço
"Quem violou Maria Murvall?"
500 Paginas e a pergunta nao foi respondida :)
Achei o livro um bocado "lento", se calhar estou mal habituado, acho que o livro tem 100 paginas a mais :) E aqueles "comentarios" do morto ao longo do livro sao um bocado spooky, mas ainda assim originais.
A mae dos rapazes fez-me lembrar a matriarca da Serie Justified: os filhos sao uns Bad Asses mas ao pé da mae sao uns cordeirinhos.
Resumindo, nao deixou de ser uma leitura interessante mas prefiro os livros Jo Nesbo e da...more
CarolineFromConcord
Although I didn't find the ending satisfying by mystery standards, it was just right by fiction-novel standards. The author is a prize-winning novelist in Sweden who has turned his hand to mysteries with unusual features. For example, the deceased watches over the sleuthing and has many comments to make about what happened to him and about life in general. The female police officer is a decent person with a broken marriage, ice-cold parents, and a 13-year-old daughter discovering boys. Malin For...more
Sandie

In the midst of a cold snap rarely seen in Linkoping, Sweden, a horrific crime occurs. A man's body is found beaten and hung in a tree, left for whomever to find. Linkoping is a small town, set in the rural countryside, and has little experience with such a grisly occurance.

Malin Fors is thirty-four, a single mother and a police inspector. She is assigned to work on the case along with her partner and the rest of the team, but Malin is the lead. As she and her partner try to determine what happ...more
Stacy Nyikos
It's one of my favorite times of the year - kids' book awards! I waited with baited breath for the new Printz and Newbury winners and the resulting pile of spanking new stories to discover. I started with the Printz winner, MidwinterBLOOD, by Marcus Sedgwick, and oh, what delicious fun!

Multiple, seemingly unrelated tales spanning thousands of years but that nevertheless all take place on the same island with two repeating character names slowly reveal themselves as the stories of the multiple li...more
Anne
Another Swedish crime series. A good story, although the usual rather brutal gruesome goings-on. What is it about Scandinavia?! Written in a, to me, slightly odd style. Quite a bit of internal musings from the lead detective as well as from the victim, despite him being dead already.
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • Nobels testamente (Annika Bengtzon #6)
  • A Cold Season (Library Hardback)
  • Unwanted
  • Burned (Henning Juul #1)
  • Ashes to Dust
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • Münsters Fall (Inspector Van Veeteren #6)
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End: The Story of a Crime (The Fall of the Welfare State, #1)
  • Night Rounds
  • Flickan under gatan
  • Never End (Inspector Winter, #4)
  • Outrage
  • Sjöjungfrun (Patrik Hedström, #6)
After being awarded the Swedish equivalent to the Whitbread Award for his debut novel Pesetas, Mons Kallentoft chose to give his own unique take on the classic Scandinavian crime novel. His success was immediate. The first book in the series about superintendent Malin Fors received unanimous praise from the national critics; it also conquered the bestseller charts and has today sold more than 300,...more
More about Mons Kallentoft...
Summer Death: A Thriller Höstoffer Vårlik Den femte årstiden Vattenänglar

“Iubirea și moartea sunt vecine.
Au unul și același chip.
Nu ai cum să li te împotrivești.
Două persoane se întâlnesc.
Se-ndrăgostesc fulgerător.
Se iubesc.
Se iubesc și se doresc și, într-o zi, dragostea dispare tot atât de brusc pe cum a apărut.
Sau poate că, de la bun început, dragostea este imposibilă, dar și inevitabilă.”
5 likes
“Ouvem este murmúrio? Este murmúrio infindável? É o musgo a murmurar. São os mortos a conversar. É o que vão dizer as lendas. Os mortos e os mortos ainda vivos.” 2 likes