Start by marking “All in One Basket” as Want to Read:
All in One Basket

All in One Basket

Entertaining, instructive, thought-provoking and hilarious, the unmistakeable voice of Deborah Devonshire rings out of this volume which combines her two collections of 'occasional' writings.

The pieces are broad and eclectic in their subjects, ranging from treasures unearthed while the kitchen was being redecorated, musings about the reason for the reworded town sign, tour
Published September 1st 2011 by John Murray Publishers

To ask other readers questions about All in One Basket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All in One Basket

Beth Bonini
Nov 05, 2011 Beth Bonini rated it liked it
I read this in a B&B (with paper-thin walls) in Bakewell, the night before visiting Chatsworth.
While I am a huge fan of Mitford's writing, this collection of essays (most of them previously published, and some of them mere snippets) is not representative of her best work. I would recommend "Wait for Me!" -- a more thorough and satisfying memoir in every way. I have a feeling that this book was put out to capitalise on the former's success.
LAPL Reads
Feb 11, 2014 LAPL Reads rated it really liked it
Deborah Vivien Freeman-Mitford Cavendish, Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, is the youngest of the Mitford sisters whose interests and social views were all over the political compass. One sister was a Communist; one sister and her husband were imprisoned during World War II for their fascist views and overtly supporting the Nazis; several other siblings were unofficial supporters of fascist politics; and two others preferred the agrarian life. As a child, the Duchess, was tormented and teased by ...more
Louise Culmer
Oct 26, 2011 Louise Culmer rated it really liked it
Deborah Devonshire has had a long and interesting life, and this is a delightful collection of articles covering the many diverse subjects in which she is interested. There is lots about country life of course, about animals and people and the changing face of rural Britain, and about her beloved Chatsworth. there are articles about people she has known, and events she has witnessed, including very vivid descriptions of the inauguration of President Kennedy, and of his funeral.

There are many me
Stan Bebbington
May 02, 2016 Stan Bebbington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to point out that I have a connection with Debo, Duchess of Devonshire. During a holiday in Derbyshire we entered our beautiful small white collie in the open class of the Chatsworth Annual Dog Show. She looked at him and said, quite loudly, "We have a blind one here!". News to us and, I suspect, to him. The occasion passed into family history and led many years later, to my receiving a copy of her "All in one basket." Thus I had the pleasure of renewing my brief acquaintance with the ...more
Shawn Thrasher
The Mitfords continue to cash in on that famous name, even as the last left enters her 90s. The best bits in this book were about President Kennedy's inaugural and funeral (her husband's brother's wife was President Kennedy's sister). None of the book was badly written - just kind of dull. And everything felt jumbled together, without much explanation. A mixed bag for sure, with much more pips than cherries.
Ann
Oct 20, 2011 Ann rated it did not like it
This woman has enjoyed (by accident of birth) watching much of 20th century western history first hand. When relating her diary entries, it could be somewhat interesting. Over all, it's so banal as to be mind numbing. How in the world did this book get published? Three hours of my life I'll never get back.
Lee Miller
Feb 22, 2014 Lee Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming in an “I’m a Duchess but I try to act like normal people, but it’s hard, you know, because I’m a Duchess” kind of way. Perhaps that’s a little unfair. This book brings together two of her previously published books of brief essays, book reviews, and speeches. They are immensely fun, great light entertainment, and they shine a light on the British aristocracy in a way you wouldn’t get otherwise.

She brings a lot to the table: she is, of course, one of the Mitford sisters; her brother-in-l
Stevie Carroll
Mar 31, 2013 Stevie Carroll rated it really liked it
I'm an unashamed fan of Debo Devonshire, and this book definitely didn't disappoint. I'd read some of the stories before, in other works, and I don't always agree with her opinions, but her insights are always fascinating. This book comprises two of her earlier collections, along with three pieces which haven't been collected together before. Delightful illustrations by the author's son-in-law, Will Topley, complement the humour in the stories perfectly. Where else but Windsor Castle could one ...more
Pink
Nov 07, 2014 Pink rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-n-f
Hhm. I love reading about the Mitford sisters. I enjoyed reading Debo's earlier book 'Wait for me' so I thought I'd enjoy this too. Not so.

Firstly, this isn't a novel, or a memoir. It's an assortment of one or two page thoughts, compiled into two separate books and put together here in one volume. I didn't get very far, but mostly the ideas seemed to centre around the countryside, animals and farming. No problem there, except that I disagreed with all her ideas.

For me, it's one thing to read a
Autumn
May 06, 2013 Autumn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be the most witty and wonderful books I've ever read! What a treat! If Downton Abbey's Dowager Countess Violet existed in the 21st Century and started raising chickens - then her name would surely be Deborah Mitford. And she would be Countess of Devonshire. This was a book given to me by a friend, and at first I couldn't see why she would possibly think it was something I would enjoy. Rarely do I laugh out loud while reading - but I could hardly constrain myself reading the Countess' ...more
Alexis
Jul 09, 2013 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thoroughly and utterly charmed by Debo Devonshire and her collection of essays. Some reviewers have said it was rambling or dull; I happen to agree and I mean those things in the best possible way. Her stories are rambling - she's a Mitford and a duchess, and has known and befriended people from the Kennedys to prime ministers to local farmers to the ladies of the local Women's Institute, and writing about all that does tend to get a bit rambling. And yes, chickens may be a little mundane ...more
Liz C.
Aug 24, 2016 Liz C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the ease with which I could pick up this book and read a few stories, put it down, and pick it up again even a week or so later and not be missing anything. I liked the fact that some of the things the reader might not be familiar with were noted (Prime Ministers, etc.) and enjoyed reading this after I had come back from visiting Chatsworth.
Denise
Aug 25, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
I have read every book written by Deborah Devonshire and she is a strong character in my mind. Her words so often ring a bell of recognition or inspiration. And always with humour. This book discusses the role of country houses in Britain, life in Derbyshire and a very poignant and close account of JFK. I leave each of her books feeling a little wiser.
Kerry
Jul 01, 2016 Kerry marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2015
I probably read around half of this. I totally enjoyed what I read, but I'm in a different place right now and don't feel the need to finish it. I expect it will find itself at the school fair next month.
Alexander
Ah, the inane witterings of the spoilt upper classes. It probably passes for wit amongst those keen to suck up (you know who you are Mr Playwright), but it's hard work finding an amusing or interesting anecdote in amongst this collection of ramblings.
Anne
May 02, 2016 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this is very British, very esoteric, and though I got a few laughs, there was too much that this American couldn't relate to. You'll see if you pick this up.
Leslie Street
Apr 03, 2012 Leslie Street rated it really liked it
I just love her stories. I love her reflections on life. This collection of stories and thoughts is completely whimsical and entertaining. I think I will be quoting her for life.
Fran
May 02, 2016 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just beautiful, a story of the most amazing life growing up in the most amazing family. I loved this book.
Margaret Heller
Dec 06, 2011 Margaret Heller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
A compilation of two earlier books. A portrait of a world that is immediately familiar from literature, but incredibly alien as well. And lots of stuff about chickens!
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Nat Wolfenden woods
Nat Wolfenden woods rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Christy Dargue
Christy Dargue rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
marcy mcmahon
marcy mcmahon rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Susan Edwards
Susan Edwards rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Love from Nancy
  • Nancy Mitford
  • A Fine Old Conflict
  • The Duchess of Windsor and Other Friends
  • Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)
  • My Outdoor Life
  • Curriculum Vitae: Autobiography
  • The Siberians
  • By Permission of Heaven: The True Story of the Great Fire of London
261994
Deborah Vivien Freeman-Mitford Cavendish, Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, who published under the name of Deborah Mitford, was brought up in Oxfordshire, England. In 1950 her husband, Andrew, the 11th Duke of Devonshire, inherited extensive estates in Yorkshire and Ireland as well as Chatsworth, the family seat in Derbyshire, and Deborah became chatelaine of one of England’s great houses. She is ...more
More about Deborah Mitford...