Start by marking “L'homme de minuit (Nuits blanches, #1)” as Want to Read:
L'homme de minuit (Nuits blanches, #1)

L'homme de minuit (Midnight #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  4,050 ratings  ·  326 reviews
Le très sexy John Huntington, commandant de la Navy, vient de s’installer chez la ravissante Suzanne Barron, jeune décoratrice d’intérieur. Tous deux succombent très vite à une ardente passion mais la jeune femme s’inquiète face à cette liaison torride : qui est réellement John, et ses intentions sont-elles sérieuses à son égard ? Et, lorsqu’un violent individu tente de l’ ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 280 pages
Published July 13th 2011 by J'ai Lu (first published May 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about L'homme de minuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'homme de minuit

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Why, oh why, did I wait so long to read this book?

When advertising for a tenant for her office/apartment building, Suzanne Barron didn’t know exactly what kind of person would apply but when John Huntington showed up for their meeting, she knew she was in trouble! Their meeting was planned, but their attraction was not. It was there, it was powerful, and it was not to be denied.

I really, really, really… REALLY, love John Huntington, AKA, Midnight Man. Talk about alpha on steroids! Talk about ho
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
2 1/2–WAY TOO MUCH NARRATIVE–Stars

I know this is a popular book among my friends and I can understand why–it's well written, intriguing, and deliciously steamy. That said, it also overflowed with narrative and very little character dialogue, which is a pet-peeve of mine. It's essential I have an abundance of character dialogue in order for me to connect with a couple and their love story. That did not happen with this book. Also, the HEA ending was way too abrupt for my liking. I felt gyped out
Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict
Jun 04, 2013 Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict by: KindleRomance Reviews
Completely enjoyed this fast paced steamy read!! John is an intense & aggressive ALPHA!! He meet's Suzanne and BAM!!!! It's game on (his nickname should be Steamroller!). Suzanne is sweet & quiet and completely unprepared for this ALPHA, since most the men in her life have been rather meek. But when danger comes calling Suzanne finds out just how much she needs and wants this intense man.

I am looking forward to the next two books in the series!! Thank you Kris (KindleRomance) and Vika fo
Lucienne
My lord.

As romance its alright, if you are able to suspend your disbelief as to the amount of time it takes the two to get physical. Basically, Suzanne (h) an interior designer, rents out some rooms to this big, tough, ex-military scary man. Whose name also happens to be John (H). They both feel an intense attraction and have sex against a wall the first night they meet. John also shows his apparent skill with disabling a security alarm with wire and some of his spit. Mmm. Manly.

Anyway. Suzann
Dina
I´ve been on the fence about reading erotica/romantica for a long time, because I always need more than a bunch of sex scenes thrown together in a book. I finally made the jump into reading 'Midnight Man' after seeing several recommendations on the Romance Forum at Amazon and, boy, let me tell you... I loved it! It was hot - of course! - but the story wasn´t just about two people having sex. The book had a plot, and a good one! I only wish the end wasn´t so abrupt - I love epilogues - but I was ...more
Eastofoz
Feb 15, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers looking for a protector kind of romance with rough and raw sex
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Auntee & Kathrynn
Pretty good overall. If you’re looking for one of those alpha hero special ops guys who protects the heroine at all costs this could interest you.

I generally liked the story, more towards the end though where the hero became more “human”. He’s a bit too animalistic for my taste which made the steam scenes too rough and raw at times---get out the fan for the wall scenes though (**whoaaaa**). He’s not an annoying uber-alpha but he has his “smack me one” moments. The heroine was a bit vapid and you
♡Karlyn P♡
Great book, just how I like my steamy erotica reads. Non-cheesy sex scenes with great characters and a good plot to tie it all together. I now get why so many people consider this a favorite read!
Kim
The ULTIMATE Alpha guy. Commander John Huntington. Since my book version had the worst front cover ever I had to find a replacement. So here he is....................

[image error]

Ingela
OMG, my heart still pounds - what a wonderful hot and funny novel - 5 thick hot Stars to this divine alpha male and his sweet baby.

photo glitter_heart_pink_zps8282da2c.gif  photo glitter_heart_pink_zps8282da2c.gif  photo glitter_heart_pink_zps8282da2c.gif  photo glitter_heart_pink_zps8282da2c.gif  photo glitter_heart_pink_zps8282da2c.gif

I knew after just a few pages that this was just the right book for me to read. I wanted a fast read romance, something to giggle with, something a little light hearted and a lot of steam & heat. I got it!

We have an large muscular alpha male (think: lion/bull) and a petite blonde sweetie (think: bambi/bunny) who meets. She will be his new landlord and ne
Holly
John Huntington is known to his fellow SEALS as the Midnight Man, a man who works best under the cover of darkness. He's just come back from a messy job in South America, right in time for his appointment with Suzanne Barrons. Suzanne is interviewing him as a possible tenant for her building. She lives in an up and coming neighborhood and the possibility of having a big strong man around is appealing to her. Until she sees him and he wreaks havoc on her femininity. With his adrenaline still runn ...more
Karla

2.5 Stars! Sex, sex and more sex, but no suspense!

I'm in the minority, a lot of readers like this book, and it was good as far as an erotic read went, but not much in the way of mystery and suspense. Lots of penis talk though! Another hero who sports a log between his legs, it's a wonder John Huntington could walk. Suzanne was obsessed and fascinated by it. It took on a life of it's own...almost like another character!

Suzanne searched in her depths for some way to deal with the situation. Some
Jane Stewart
4.5 stars. Hot lustful sex scenes, no kinkiness. Former Navy SEAL protects delicate heroine from a hitman.

STORY BRIEF:
Suzanne inherited a factory building which she converted into two units. Each unit has an office for the public in front and an apartment in the back (kitchen, bedroom, etc.) Suzanne is an interior decorator. She works and lives in her unit. Suzanne placed an ad for a tenant to rent the second unit. John sees the ad and ends up renting the second unit. He is a former navy SEAL an
Gina
I really enjoyed this book, but I gotta tell you it felt like a "Wham bam thank you Ma'am". it was fast and furious and over before i knew it! The story was intense, the sex was amazingly hot and and the hero was a bit of a caveman, but sometimes that's exactly what i like in my heroes! It would have been nice to have more story to this and the ending was abrupt to say the least. I gotta tell you, it definitely kept my interest and i will be reading the next book in this series and hope i get to ...more
Miss Kim
Apr 17, 2011 Miss Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Kim by: Fans of LMR
I’ve had Midnight Man in my TBR for three years. I’m glad I finally decided to pick it up. It is a quick easy read, and would satisfy the LMR fan. She doesn’t differ from formula here.

John is an ex SEAL (with gunmetal grey eyes), who’s started up his own security company. Suzanne is an interior decorator who runs her own successful business as well. They meet when he wants to lease part of her building for his latest office. When he walks in, he is immediately stricken will lust for this tiny, e
Searock
Oh my freakin' dang I liked this book!
Prepare to be gushed upon!

Parts of this book were perfection (like the hunter/prey scene- I really dug the writing technique employed there- brilliant). I loved the structure, loved being in John's head for the initial sequences and that the author honed in on the sensual romance with development of the characters as the priority of the story.

If anything the suspense is like wallpaper here (we aren't forced into the head of the bad guy and there's not even
Christine
L8blmr
I'm glad I read the third book ("Midnight Angel") first, or I might not have gone on with this series. Don't get me wrong - "Midnight Man" was good, but not GREAT. A couple of things really bothered me about it once I finished: the heroine was never told of the violent death of someone significant in her life; and the HEA (which I'm a sucker for, I have to admit) was summed up, not in one page, not even in one paragraph, but in one SENTENCE! AND ... though it was obvious to the reader that the H ...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
This book was so fast paced that my head is still spinning, and I am not sure what to say in this review.

Lisa Marie Rice has a wonderful writing style. From the very beginning this book was at super sonic speed. I feel like I have whiplash from reading this.

Another wonderful thing was that this book had a female lead that I actually liked. That is so rare for me, but Suzanne didn't annoy me at all. My only problem I had with her was that she got to have John/Midnight and I didn't.

Now John/Midnig
Ruth
Holy smokes! This is one hot, hot, hot, steamy number! Caveman alpha hero - check. Moderately interesting plot to fill in the bits between the hot sex - check. Hot sex - check. Good characterization particularly for a quickie read - check. More hot sex - check.

This was such a fun read, and for such a short book, the plot was actually quite good. Nothing earth-shattering, and with no real twists, but entertaining enough. But let's face it, you only read this for the sex. The hero was so absolutel
Wanderlust
cover & title - 3.5/5
favorite character - John

This book is H.O.T.
The characters are sexy, the story-line is intense & the chemistry is electric. The first time the leads have sex it is mind-blowingly sexy, an actual sexy sex scene is hard to find but this book had them by the dozen. You can feel the tension between the characters like it is your own. I blinked & this book was done, it was depressing - i wanted more! I totally ignored my life for 2 hours & got totally immersed in
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Midnight series by Lisa Marie Rice. John Huntington is looking for a new space for his business and decides that Suzanne Barron's renovated factory will work just fine. A former military man, John aka Midnight Man, is now the owner of Alpha Security International. Suzanne is an interior designer.

Another story that could have used a little more character development but I loved it anyway. A spicy little read with a nice plot and a little suspense.
Monique
3.5 stars.

I did enjoy this. The romance was lust filled and steamy with some sweet moments.

And I loved John. Total caveman, total alpha male. That man has one hell of a sex drive.

But the climax... What climax? What should have been suspenseful and dramatic wasn't. It just fell completely flat. There wasn't enough suspense. And the ending! It was too abrupt, I mean, it was a good ending but I wished it would have been longer.
Carrie
Midnight Man fits the ex-Navy SEAL romantica mold in most particulars. The overwhelming masculinity, the deadly, highly trained killing machine, the lust, the instant attraction,and almost instant sex scene. It could be typical "alpha-male crashes onto the scene with deadly purpose to save damsel in distress." And it is...only it isn't. It's much more. Rice sets the bar very high with this book. Her writing is surprisingly nuanced, and so are her characters. What should come across as simply "ov ...more
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
I really liked this book. It was a nice fast paced read packed full of romance, scorching sex, and tons of suspense. John is fresh out of the Navy and starting his new security buisness. Suzanne is loaning him out half of her building for his business. Within the first meeting the sexual vibes are on fire and within hours they are in bed or I should say up against a wall together. John's hunger is overwelming for Suzanne to the point he has trouble keeping himself in control. Suzanne has never b ...more
Pam
”You need the opposite. Someone yin to go with your yang. Someone to stir your juices. Someone…someone really…male.”

Suzanne knows just the man; her new tenant Commander John Huntington, a retired Navy SEAL, CEO of Alpha Security International. Suzanne is a classy, elegant interior decorator, the total opposite to everything that is John.
”Power and sex came off the man in tangible waves, totally invincible, unstoppable.”

Someone tried to take Suzanne’s life, and John stops at nothi
HєllyBєlly
Jan 29, 2013 HєllyBєlly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need a light read with sexy times and invicible alpha-males
This is my second book by Ms. Rice. The first one - Woman on the run was funny, fast-paced, sexy and very entertaining. All the other books I have read after that - including this - have unfortunately not been as good. Yet, I can't stop reading even though they all follow the formula of: Alpha Male Cop/Marine/Seal falling in wuw for the very first time evah at the sight of Ms Dainty Heroine, who possesses an ethereal yet natural beauty. And then they boink a lot while he saves her from danger.
I
Straight Shootin' Book Reviews
John is my kind of guy. ALPHA, ALPHA, ALPHA. Suzanne was a bit annoying- too much handwringing for my taste. BUT- she finally came around and came into her own power a bit. I hope to see more of this from her in the following books. And the last scene with them in the car....HOT.
Kelster
4.5. Good god damn John was alpha to the extreme. I used to search for these types of books after reading Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp) and Lee Childs (Jack Reacher). I love Navy SEALS and military bad asses and an H that is an absolute killing machine who is brought to his knees by his woman.

I love this plot line and I loved John with his barely contained restraint and desperate need to fuck the h. I love that when she was in danger the H had to save her. So this was a nostalgic read an
Alicia
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Yes, it was similar to other LMR books I've read in the past. But one thing I've learned in reading LMR's books is to pace them out so I don't get overloaded by her ultra-alpha male type heroes and have brain-melt. So it may be another year or so before I pick up another LMR book, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I do.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add the Audible edition 2 11 Nov 04, 2013 08:05AM
  • Pursuit
  • Behind Closed Doors (McClouds & Friends #1)
  • On Thin Ice (Ice, #6)
  • Deadly Descent (Bagram Special Ops, #1)
  • Skin Deep (I-Team, #5.5)
  • Double Down (Vegas Top Guns, #1)
  • If Looks Could Chill (Passion For Danger, #2)
  • Jungle Inferno (Phoenix Agency, #1)
  • Defender (Dark Ops, #1)
  • Edge of Sight (The Guardian Angelinos, #1)
  • The Edge of Courage (Red Team, #1)
  • Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)
Into the Crossfire (Protectors, #1) Dangerous Lover (Dangerous, #1) Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3) Midnight Run (Midnight, #2) Nightfire (Protectors, #3)

“John Huntington eyed Suzanne Barron across her very stylish desk in her very stylish office. She was stylish herself—classy,” 0 likes
“There were two kinds of people in this world. Those whose thoughts and emotions were on a dial and those whose emotions were on a switch. He was a switchman himself and had spent his entire lifetime among switches.
Something either was or wasn’t. Had happened or hadn’t. You either could do it or couldn’t. It either worked or it didn’t. You were either happy or unhappy.
Dial people were different. Their emotions ran up and down a scale and you had to guess at what point they were and try to coax them to go in the direction you wanted.”
0 likes