Start by marking “From Such Small Things” as Want to Read:
From Such Small Things

From Such Small Things

When an unidentified noise sets off a series of unexplained events within his home, Allan is at first excited by the idea of a ghostly visitor. But his enthusiasm quickly turns to dread when it becomes apparent that his phantom guest has also begun to notice Allan.

This tale is from the short story collection, BURIED IN THE BASEMENT, by the author of The Temple of the Blin
Published (first published May 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about From Such Small Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Such Small Things

Laura Thomas
Aug 26, 2013 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing
Strange noises. Phantom footsteps. Wrapping on the walls. Ear blasting shrieks. And a closet door that won’t stay closed.

This and more is happening at Allen and Selena’s house.

At first, they put it off as the house settling. But as more strange things happen, they have to face facts.

For some reason. after all the years they’ve lived in their house, it is haunted.

Whatever is haunting them is getting stronger, more territorial, and dangerous.

Something has to give.

I know what I’d do. I’d be out of
Oct 07, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
This short ghost story has all the odd happenings you would expect - unexplained noises, phantom footsteps, knocking on the walls, strange shrieks. But you know what creeped me the fuzz out?

The closet door wouldn't stay shut.

nope

When I was little I'd have frequent nightmares about my closet door suddenly bursting open by itself. Sometimes there would be the requisite "horrible thing" lurking in the there. Even now as an adult all closet doors must be firmly shut, and all room entryways must have the
Tanya
Oct 25, 2014 Tanya rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, horror
The beginning of this story was intriguing. Strange noises in a house, an open door of a closet, and a cat's weird behavior. Everything indicated that something "supernatural" was happening in Allan's house. Then things got worse and Allan finally realized that this "thing" was more real and intimidating than his hallucination. This creature was not a typical ghost. It was far more sinister and aggressive, and it would harm Allan and his wife if he didn't do something quick.

The idea was fascinat
Gunnar
Sep 28, 2013 Gunnar rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, kindle-lendable
Brenda Benoit
Jun 20, 2016 Brenda Benoit rated it it was amazing
Creepy short story that brought back all those childhood fears of monsters grabbing my feet, monsters under the bed and of course in the closet. I will definitely look for more stories from this author.
Shadarus Semloue
Mar 27, 2014 Shadarus Semloue rated it it was amazing
An excellent, well-written, and creepy little story. I especially liked that the main character was rational (even while terrified), thought things through, and eventually deduced the origin of the activity.
cynthia morgan
Jul 04, 2016 cynthia morgan rated it it was amazing
Great read

This fast-paced story was great. Good short story to enjoy on a plane, lunch break or simply a couple of hours free time. In spite of the fact that I wanted more, it was well crafted as a short-story, it served its purpose to entertain.
Seth Tucker
Oct 19, 2015 Seth Tucker rated it really liked it
An insanely creepy ghost story, From Such Small Things left me feeling a little unnerved. Brian Harmon does a great job of creating an unnerving atmosphere from modern day suburbia. A must for fans of ghost stories.
Scott Thomas
Jul 23, 2014 Scott Thomas rated it it was amazing
Creepy guest

Creepy guest

This was a fun little story. I have to admit I got a little jumpy. Ready to start the next one.
Julie Powell
Dec 01, 2014 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing
I did enjoy this intriguing tale and feel it could have been extended, filled as it was with mystery and suspense.

A great hook followed by a compelling read. Pity it was so short.
Michelle Dalton
Michelle Dalton rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2014
Brandi Mcmanigal
Brandi Mcmanigal rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Hilary Clark
Hilary Clark rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Marinela Diaz
Marinela Diaz rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Rachel Leonard
Rachel Leonard rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Crista L Lagace
Crista L Lagace rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Heather Lee Foley
Heather Lee Foley rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Kaylan Vialpando
Kaylan Vialpando rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Telma Vilchez
Telma Vilchez rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Kalie
Kalie rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
derek maccallum
derek maccallum rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2016
Jeniffer N
Jeniffer N rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Loren Rauch
Loren Rauch rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Liz Smith
Liz Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Joni Sizemore
Joni Sizemore rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Kelly Reed
Kelly Reed rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
April Lawrence
April Lawrence rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Ghost Swim
  • Forever
  • A Note Below (A Lansin Island Short Story)
  • DOGGITUDE: What Dogs REALLY Think--In 17 Sassy Syllables
  • Crypt: a horror short story
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • Ghosts, Monsters and Madmen
  • Weirder Than Weird
  • The Endlands (Volume 2)
  • The Haunting of Sam Cabot
  • Blink
  • American Ghost Stories
  • Haunted
  • Fiddleback
  • Moorehead Manor (Moorehead Manor #1)
  • Colony of the Lost
  • The Claiming
  • Tales From The Mist
Brian Harmon is a writer of horror fiction, suspense and dark adventure. He grew up in Missouri and currently lives in Southern Wisconsin with his wife, Guinevere, and their two children.
More about Brian Harmon...