Start by marking “Murder Me Dead” as Want to Read:
Murder Me Dead

Murder Me Dead

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Hanging from the ceiling fan in their lavish Hollywood home. That's where Steven Russell finds his estranged wife, a tear-stained note in her pocket pouring out years of pain and regret. Is it suicide?
Published January 30th 2002 by Capitan (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Me Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Me Dead

Rosangela

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a page turner, since the beginning I was captured by the feelings and situations the main character was in. I liked the drawing style too, it's clean and classic. If you put on a great soundtrack, it'd be better!
I'd recommend to fans of graphic novel and crime/mystery and noir films.

NetGalley, thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel, I received a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Sam
Oooooo this book was really good. I picked it up on a complete whim as I perused the shelves at the library purely based on the title (a phrase which seems to have entered my daily vocabulary to vocalise my generally sarcastic shock and awe at minor trivialities, feel free to try it yourself) and I must say it lived up to it beautifully. As an ardent Hitchcock fan, I love a bit of noir and this embraces all that is good about the genre with love, betrayal and intrigue abounding across the pages ...more
Dave-O
Good fun. Wears its film-noir inspiration with a solid, capable drawing style.

My only criticism is that the story flails in the third act, leaving the blunt ending with much to be desired. There actually isn't much to the mystery, but it is good to see drawn versions of film-noir archetypes set in the present day.
zackxdig
Theediscerning
This intriguing noir always feels like it's going to revert to Sin City stereotypes, but never does – especially perhaps as the design is so completely different. While remaining noir to the core, this book never strays into white-on-black artwork, and always seems to be bright and breezy, however dark the setting and themes and events may be. When the husband to a rich society woman who has killed herself falls into the clutches of the beauty from high school that had always stood as a 'what mi ...more
Ayah Assem

I recieved this as an eArc from Captin Publishing house via Netgaaly in exchange with an honest review

This comic is influenced by the old times and the old movies. It focuses on human traits such as being naive, curious, abusive, abused, in love, selfish,and much more.

In my opinion, the author has failed to show these characteristic in a proper way.Most of the reactions to certain events were unrealistic.Even the most naive person would wake up after being showered with lies for like a zillion
Wayne McCoy
I read a graphic novel not too long ago purporting to be in the style of noir. I was disappointed. I was certainly not disappointed by David Lapham's 'Murder Me Dead.' It has the kind of dark story that the genre is known for.

Jazz pianist Steven Russell comes home late one night to find his wife dead and hanging from the ceiling fan. She is wealthy and her family is convinced that Steven is guilty. They hire a seedy private detective to dig up dirt on him. He runs into an old friend from high sc
Elle Markov
Steven's a Jazz pianist, he co-owns a very successful restaurant with his wife Eve, but behind the fancy house and the family money, their marriage is despair and misery.

The book opens with Steven walking into his house and finding his wife hanging from a ceiling fan in what appears to be a suicide; Steven is unfazed and it almost seems like he is relieved but while Steven feels he finally has freedom, his life is about to take a very dark and depressing turn into a horrid abyss.

Eve's family is
Actual rating 3.5
I received this for review by NetGalley

I started this graphic novel about two months ago and never actually got into it properly, but yesterday, being the procrastinator that I am and having **** loads of reading to do for uni I decided it was the ideal time for a graphic novel.
Now I am relatively new to the graphic novel genre but this was a fantastic second choice for one, and I would highly recommend it to those who are fans of murder mysteries such as those by Agatha Chris
Anthony
James Sime at Isotope in San Francisco recommended this to me in 2005 and I loved it. A year later I loaned it to my jerk tweeker meth head co-worker Anthony Fiorito and I never saw it again. Fuck you Fiorito.
Kevin Mann
Loved it. Great mash-up of all the familiar & beloved Film Noir cliches & tropes. I wont rehash all the plot points, but its has enough twists & turns to keep you hooked. It's a very fast read and a thrill-packed ride for the first half, but There IS a disappointing moment about 2/3rds into the graphic novel where you realise the female lead will behave exactly how you expect her to in all cases going forward, but leading up to that, her put-upon innocent victim schitck is very enter ...more
August
This is actually pretty well done. A good, quite believable story that even holds something of a twist at the end. The drawings are also good, a bit rough, perhaps, in the general design of the characters, but with a great sense for surrounding detail, e.g., a lot of well-hid items and plot devices which - in their subtle way - all contribute to the momentum and coherence of the plot, while they at the same time ensure an almost investigative entertainment for the attentive reader.
Mark Desrosiers
This noir tale twists and turns as a hapless "hero" endures many complications to demonstrate his love for the femme fatale. Both of them are dull, mechanical plot devices -- even their physiognomy ain't very memorable -- but it's a nice squirmy story about lust, manipulation, dollars, and betrayal. And it features a doomed character who should look like Dan Duryea but instead seems based on Micky Dolenz.
Nauman Butt
This is crime comics. A world where people do stupid things for sex or power; where what could go wrong does go wrong. It's a roller coaster of suspense, tension, and lots of "NO! Don't do that, that's the wrong choice!" And that's why we love it.
All in all, the story is solid, the art is good, and the pacing is top notch. This is Black and White, so if you need to read comics in color, you might need to move on.
D.M.
I came to this book, as did most readers I suspect, off Lapham's outrageous success with Stray Bullets. This is much in the same vein as Stray Bullets, but as Lapham makes clear in his introduction this owes considerably more to the tradition of film noir storytelling. If you know how those stories go, then you know how this one goes and you know there'll be no happy ending. While I can't agree that this is a 'harrowing' story, it certainly is brutal (especially if you've had the bad experience ...more
Darnia
When I finished this graphic novel, I realized how hard the life of Tara, a pretty lady and loved by lot of men. She was a tool of men: to be a money machine, sex slave and everything you could named it. This is a noir drama about love, loyalty, lust and ambition.

*I've got this copy from NetGalley in order of an honest review
Bellagbear
Interesting read, great artwork and an exciting story. But I have to say, do not get eluded by the description. The story is not really about why the wife suicided and it is less psychogological than I expected from the back description. It is best to see this book as a fast-moving thriller/drama.
Stewart Tame
Decent noir thriller. A man's wife is found dead, seemingly a suicide, and things deteriorate from there. This is a nicely-paced thrill ride of love, obsession, and betrayal. In the end, all secrets are revealed. I'll avoid saying whether anyone's happy about that or not.
Mark
David Lapham's free-standing noir miniseries, recently reprinted. Similar to Stray Bullets in tone, but this is a tightly plotted thriller. Lapham really shows his storytelling chops here.
Ray
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. I'm a huge fan of noir films and this made me feel right at home... with the macks and dames, double crossing, late night bars and murder. A fun read!!
Derek Royal
Great maxi-series from David Lapham, written while he was doing Stray Bullets. Will discuss this brand new reissue on The Comics Alternative podcast: http://comicsalternative.com.
Myke
Reads like Film Noir and the pulps. Doesn't feel as contemporary as Stray Bullets did but in my opinion Murder Me Dead is the better story.
John
Not 'Stray Bullets' or Raymond Chandler but still good.
Koen Claeys
I loved reading this ode to film noir, a real page-turner.
Sardonyx
This book was very hard to put down! Absolutely loved the writing and the artwork suited the story as well!
John
The darkest noir.
Malinda
Something was missing from this story. It was jumpy from scene to scene with nothing to help me to connect to the characters. I guess this just wasnt my type of graphic novel. I like more plot development even in a gn.
PJ Ebbrell
A classic Noir with a great twist.
Sandra (thebooktrend)
**An electronic ARC provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

DNF- This review only reflects what I have read so far.

I had a really hard time getting into this book. I wasn't really into the story and the black and white illustrations were mediocre.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Therefore, Repent!
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • The Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-First Century
The Strain Volume 1 Stray Bullets, Vol. 1: Innocence of Nihilism Crossed, Vol. 2: Family Values Silverfish Crossed, Vol. 3: Psychopath