Start by marking “Murder Me Dead” as Want to Read:
Murder Me Dead

Murder Me Dead

Hanging from the ceiling fan in their lavish Hollywood home. That's where Steven Russell finds his estranged wife, a tear-stained note in her pocket pouring out years of pain and regret. Is it suicide?
Published January 30th 2002 by Capitan (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Me Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Me Dead

Rosangela

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a page turner, since the beginning I was captured by the feelings and situations the main character was in. I liked the drawing style too, it's clean and classic. If you put on a great soundtrack, it'd be better!
I'd recommend to fans of graphic novel and crime/mystery and noir films.

NetGalley, thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel, I received a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Sam
Aug 22, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oooooo this book was really good. I picked it up on a complete whim as I perused the shelves at the library purely based on the title (a phrase which seems to have entered my daily vocabulary to vocalise my generally sarcastic shock and awe at minor trivialities, feel free to try it yourself) and I must say it lived up to it beautifully. As an ardent Hitchcock fan, I love a bit of noir and this embraces all that is good about the genre with love, betrayal and intrigue abounding across the pages ...more
Dave-O
Aug 17, 2010 Dave-O rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Good fun. Wears its film-noir inspiration with a solid, capable drawing style.

My only criticism is that the story flails in the third act, leaving the blunt ending with much to be desired. There actually isn't much to the mystery, but it is good to see drawn versions of film-noir archetypes set in the present day.
Kevin Mann
Aug 10, 2014 Kevin Mann rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Great mash-up of all the familiar & beloved Film Noir cliches & tropes. I wont rehash all the plot points, but its has enough twists & turns to keep you hooked. It's a very fast read and a thrill-packed ride for the first half, but There IS a disappointing moment about 2/3rds into the graphic novel where you realise the female lead will behave exactly how you expect her to in all cases going forward, but leading up to that, her put-upon innocent victim schitck is very enter ...more
Luis Diaz
Nov 18, 2016 Luis Diaz rated it really liked it
Ah! This was a nice nice treat. I've read another book by David Lapham, (Young Liars) and I remember enjoying it. I have to read it again, but I don't think it was anywhere as memorable as this story. I did love his short story for the Matrix Anthology. By far the best in the volume and one of my favorite short stories period. Just a great story and pacing and art. Wow! I wish I could just review that one. This one although has a lot of the typical stuff you might find in film noire flicks or al ...more
zackxdig
Jul 15, 2015 zackxdig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
Chad Harmon
Mar 05, 2016 Chad Harmon rated it it was amazing
If you like Crime Noir, you'll love this book. Basically another volume of Stray Bullets, David Lapham is a master of the genre. His art is so good and expressive. He knows how to capture the underbelly of society. So good.
Anthony
Oct 24, 2014 Anthony rated it it was amazing
James Sime at Isotope in San Francisco recommended this to me in 2005 and I loved it. A year later I loaned it to my jerk tweeker meth head co-worker Anthony Fiorito and I never saw it again. Fuck you Fiorito.
Bellagbear
Sep 27, 2014 Bellagbear rated it liked it
Interesting read, great artwork and an exciting story. But I have to say, do not get eluded by the description. The story is not really about why the wife suicided and it is less psychogological than I expected from the back description. It is best to see this book as a fast-moving thriller/drama.
Mark
Aug 17, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
David Lapham's free-standing noir miniseries, recently reprinted. Similar to Stray Bullets in tone, but this is a tightly plotted thriller. Lapham really shows his storytelling chops here.
Oscar
Jan 05, 2017 Oscar rated it it was amazing
I don't love everything David Lapham has done, but the ones I do: I love inmensely. One of those of course being "Stray Bullets" which is still running strong today, and the other work this goes for is "Murder me dead".

The premise above reads that this comic is about a man who's wife who is found dead, seemingly by suicide. However the comic isn't really about that, it's an underlying storyline which builds up to a huge climax at the end of this trade, but this comic is about Steven Russel who f
Oct 01, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Actual rating 3.5
I received this for review by NetGalley

I started this graphic novel about two months ago and never actually got into it properly, but yesterday, being the procrastinator that I am and having **** loads of reading to do for uni I decided it was the ideal time for a graphic novel.
Now I am relatively new to the graphic novel genre but this was a fantastic second choice for one, and I would highly recommend it to those who are fans of murder mysteries such as those by Agatha Chris
Elle Markov
Sep 12, 2014 Elle Markov rated it really liked it
Steven's a Jazz pianist, he co-owns a very successful restaurant with his wife Eve, but behind the fancy house and the family money, their marriage is despair and misery.

The book opens with Steven walking into his house and finding his wife hanging from a ceiling fan in what appears to be a suicide; Steven is unfazed and it almost seems like he is relieved but while Steven feels he finally has freedom, his life is about to take a very dark and depressing turn into a horrid abyss.

Eve's family is
Ayah Assem

I recieved this as an eArc from Captin Publishing house via Netgaaly in exchange with an honest review

This comic is influenced by the old times and the old movies. It focuses on human traits such as being naive, curious, abusive, abused, in love, selfish,and much more.

In my opinion, the author has failed to show these characteristic in a proper way.Most of the reactions to certain events were unrealistic.Even the most naive person would wake up after being showered with lies for like a zillion
Theediscerning
Oct 13, 2014 Theediscerning rated it liked it
This intriguing noir always feels like it's going to revert to Sin City stereotypes, but never does – especially perhaps as the design is so completely different. While remaining noir to the core, this book never strays into white-on-black artwork, and always seems to be bright and breezy, however dark the setting and themes and events may be. When the husband to a rich society woman who has killed herself falls into the clutches of the beauty from high school that had always stood as a 'what mi ...more
Wayne McCoy
Aug 15, 2014 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read a graphic novel not too long ago purporting to be in the style of noir. I was disappointed. I was certainly not disappointed by David Lapham's 'Murder Me Dead.' It has the kind of dark story that the genre is known for.

Jazz pianist Steven Russell comes home late one night to find his wife dead and hanging from the ceiling fan. She is wealthy and her family is convinced that Steven is guilty. They hire a seedy private detective to dig up dirt on him. He runs into an old friend from high sc
D.M.
Jul 18, 2012 D.M. rated it really liked it
I came to this book, as did most readers I suspect, off Lapham's outrageous success with Stray Bullets. This is much in the same vein as Stray Bullets, but as Lapham makes clear in his introduction this owes considerably more to the tradition of film noir storytelling. If you know how those stories go, then you know how this one goes and you know there'll be no happy ending. While I can't agree that this is a 'harrowing' story, it certainly is brutal (especially if you've had the bad experience ...more
August
Jun 12, 2015 August rated it really liked it
This is actually pretty well done. A good, quite believable story that even holds something of a twist at the end. The drawings are also good, a bit rough, perhaps, in the general design of the characters, but with a great sense for surrounding detail, e.g., a lot of well-hid items and plot devices which - in their subtle way - all contribute to the momentum and coherence of the plot, while they at the same time ensure an almost investigative entertainment for the attentive reader.
Nauman Butt
Oct 04, 2014 Nauman Butt rated it it was amazing
This is crime comics. A world where people do stupid things for sex or power; where what could go wrong does go wrong. It's a roller coaster of suspense, tension, and lots of "NO! Don't do that, that's the wrong choice!" And that's why we love it.
All in all, the story is solid, the art is good, and the pacing is top notch. This is Black and White, so if you need to read comics in color, you might need to move on.
Mark Desrosiers
Jun 21, 2015 Mark Desrosiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This noir tale twists and turns as a hapless "hero" endures many complications to demonstrate his love for the femme fatale. Both of them are dull, mechanical plot devices -- even their physiognomy ain't very memorable -- but it's a nice squirmy story about lust, manipulation, dollars, and betrayal. And it features a doomed character who should look like Dan Duryea but instead seems based on Micky Dolenz.
Darnia
When I finished this graphic novel, I realized how hard the life of Tara, a pretty lady and loved by lot of men. She was a tool of men: to be a money machine, sex slave and everything you could named it. This is a noir drama about love, loyalty, lust and ambition.

*I've got this copy from NetGalley in order of an honest review
Todd Roboltou
Another great crime comic from David Lapham, not as grand or as disjointed in its story telling as Stray Bullets, but certainly a fine little story that's full of dispicable characters and dirty little secrets. Very enjoyable with some excellent B&W art.
Malinda
Sep 14, 2014 Malinda rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Something was missing from this story. It was jumpy from scene to scene with nothing to help me to connect to the characters. I guess this just wasnt my type of graphic novel. I like more plot development even in a gn.
Richard
Dec 08, 2014 Richard rated it it was ok
I liked the tone of this, bleak and brutal and quite true to the films noir that it emulates. But there are no real surprises and although it is a quick read, the story felt padded.

This was my first exposure to David Lapham, and I would try another.
Stewart Tame
Apr 20, 2015 Stewart Tame rated it liked it
Decent noir thriller. A man's wife is found dead, seemingly a suicide, and things deteriorate from there. This is a nicely-paced thrill ride of love, obsession, and betrayal. In the end, all secrets are revealed. I'll avoid saying whether anyone's happy about that or not.
Valissa
Dec 20, 2012 Valissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
sadly I did not particularly enjoy this. I found the art, ho hum, derivative, and story line vague, confusing, and frustrating. and overall, it came off a little misogynistic.

still, I hope I'm wrong and that I was just reading WAY after my bedtime.
Sandra
**An electronic ARC provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

DNF- This review only reflects what I have read so far.

I had a really hard time getting into this book. I wasn't really into the story and the black and white illustrations were mediocre.
Derek Parker
Jul 26, 2014 Derek Parker rated it really liked it
Great maxi-series from David Lapham, written while he was doing Stray Bullets. Will discuss this brand new reissue on The Comics Alternative podcast: http://comicsalternative.com.
Pablo
Apr 06, 2008 Pablo rated it really liked it
i've been looking for this one, and found a copy of it in spanish. i think i got the gist of it. i think i enjoyed it.
Sardonyx
Mar 16, 2015 Sardonyx rated it it was amazing
This book was very hard to put down! Absolutely loved the writing and the artwork suited the story as well!
  • Finder Library Volume 2