Start by marking “By the Book” as Want to Read:
By the Book

By the Book

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Genre: Contemporary Menage

Two's company; three's allowed.

Reece Hutton conducts his life between the covers -- of books and beds. A librarian by day, in the evenings he's a man whose tastes are anything but vanilla. So when local writer Daniel Cross appears in the library one afternoon with the aim of doing some research, Reece has a hard time not noticing how attractive he
Published January 4th 2011 by Loose ID

To ask other readers questions about By the Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By the Book

Mandi Schreiner
Favorite Quote: “I’m Daniel Fucking Cross.”

Librarian Reece Hutton has a great time with his girlfriend Georgia. They have a very passionate life, and they also like to play. As a birthday gift, Georgia invites her best friend into the bedroom for a little threesome enjoyment. Reece loves it and loves Georgia for giving him this gift.

Reece has something, or rather someone on his mind though. He meets writer Daniel Cross at the library, and can not get this man out of his head. He has never been w
Praj
Last week, as I was lazily browsing through an oddly arranged pile of Maeve Binchy books at the nearby library, a hesitant voice streamed through the corner speakers, “If you are Daniel Fucking Cross whose sucking action may put a Bangkok lady boy to shame and would not mind engaging in a tepid ménage a trois with Georgia Lawrence, please meet Mr. Reese Hutton in aisle three on the second floor”.
The faint trail of those words resonated in my ears like morning bells and I curiously found myself
Christi Snow
My Review:
Whoa! This was a powerfully emotional book. Georgia & Reece have always enjoyed an adventurous sex life. They have been together a long time and like the sexual excitement that comes from mixing it up. While they have had threesomes, with both men and women, Reece has never crossed that line of participating in m/m relations. When two men are in their bedroom, the focus is always Georgia.

Everything begins to change when Reece meets Daniel. Daniel is bi-sexual. He makes no apologies
Ni_kii
K.J. Charles
Smart, funny erotica with a heart and soul. Daniel Fucking Cross is intensely sexy, never more so than when we see him vulnerable, and there's a really interesting exploration of what can happen when a couple invite third parties into bed and affections grow. Georgia was a sympathetic character in a role that could easily have been very unsympathetic: inconsistent and angry, yes, but perfectly naturally so. Lots of varied sexytimes, all of it hot, but really this was the story of three people wh ...more
Kaetrin
Reece and Georgia are a sexually adventurous couple who invite a third in from time to time to spice things up. For Reece's birthday, Georgia brings her best friend Sarah to put on a bit of a show and give Reece *the best birthday evah*. Reece, who works in a library, meets Daniel Cross, a novelist, when he comes to return some books and stays at the library to do some writing. There is an instant connection. Daniel is bisexual ("do you have a pulse?" "then I'm flirting") and outrageous and smok ...more
DGS
Three words: Daniel Fucking Cross

But....more about him later.

And before I get into the review of THIS book, let me mention the previous book I read by Scarlett Parrish - Long Time Coming (LOVED IT). The only thing I wasn’t happy with was the lack of an epilogue. Well - you get the epilogue in this book!! Ok, so it’s not a real epilogue, it’s just a few sentences. BUT, at least I know where Piper and Leo are headed! Swoon.....

But, back to By The Book....

It starts out with (seemingly) mild mannere
Bark's Book Nonsense
There is no denying this book is hot and Daniel F. Cross irresistible but as much as I enjoyed the sexy bits (and there are many) and the chemistry between Reece and Daniel there are other things that bothered me. I feel almost sad now that it's all over. I don't always need things tidied up in a pretty little bow but the ending to this felt unfinished and unresolved and left too much open to my admittedly glass is half empty imagination. It's a hard one to rate. It could've been a five, the wri ...more
Amy
Another incredible, sexy as hell story from Scarlett Parrish! Loved "Daniel Fucking Cross"!

4.5/5 stars
Sophia (FV)
First Impressions: This story is told from Reece’s point of view and I’ll be honest, I thought he was a girl for at least the first chapter, maybe longer. I’m not sure what exactly finally tipped me off LOL. Once I got my head straight, I loved the chemistry and tension between Reece and Daniel right from the start. Daniel sort of buzzes with sexual energy and it came through well.

The Hero: As I said the story is told from Reece’s POV and so we get a lot of his internal dialogue and insight into
Amy Jacobs
After seeing this book on a huge amount of blogs I follow, I was intrigued and excited about ordering it. It wasn't until it made some of my blogging buddies had it on their favorites list for the year that I finally purchased it and gave in to the enigma of Daniel Cross. I have three words -- OH MY GOD! If you are looking for an erotic themed romance to keep you up all night reading, then you have to read this book!

I literally had my heart beating in anticipation when Daniel enters the library
Violetta Vane
I was intrigued by several negative reviews of By the Book (I'll explain why under the spoiler cut). Once I started this book, I found it an exciting, compelling and unique read.

I'll get the negatives out of the way quickly -- there aren't that many of them. This is not a book that has a rich setting. It's a world with three characters talking to each other. It's all relationship. I usually don't like that sort of story, but this book was just the right length for the bare-bones approach, and th
SaturNalia
The sex here is undeniably hot. I did not like the two male leads. Reese is suffering from insensitive-jerk-itis. He saw Daniel and fell into sudden lust but since he's straight that couldn't possibly be the reason for his obsession, even though he's been in bed with men before. So using his girlfriend as an excuse he arranges a menage between the 3 of them. There were 3 of them in that bed but only 2 were making love, Daniel and Reese, Georgia was just a convenient body. Daniel is afflicted wit ...more
Heather
I really loved this story. As an ealier reviewer stated it is erotica at its best. The author does a wonderful job portraying the character's passions and emotions. Good writing helps the reader picture the scene. It's great writing when not only can you picture it, but you can feel it. You can feel the sexual tension between the two main characters in this book, two men. You can feel their passion for each other. This is not a story about a m/m/f menage. Its a love story about a straight man an ...more
Robin Rotham
Every once in a while I read a book that just won't let go of me, that makes me say "God, I wish I could write like that!" By the Book is just such a book. I don't want to say too much about the story for fear of ruining the emotional suspense, but I will say that a week after I read it, I was still thinking about the characters, wondering how they were all doing and wishing I could go have coffee with them. (Actually, what I'd really like is to crawl into bed between Daniel and Reece. They just ...more
Rissa
Ahhhhh the ending! My heart! <3
I applaud Georgia here. I do, what she did, for Reece. When Reece was confused and Georgia wanted him to choose and Daniel just wanted a part of him, I knew who I wanted Reece to pick, I KNEW. But I totally understood Reece as well, his whole world was rocked. Of course, one would be confused. One would not know what he wants or needs to do. So, I totally got it. I've read this scenario once before and the ending both times were the same. Both times it made me h
Coral
I'm of two minds about this book. I liked it. I really did. There's a beautiful seduction as the main storyline that I adored and is probably one of the better ones I've read lately. At the same time the ending left me with some not so very nice feelings. Most of the time I wanted to smack some sense into Reece. Daniel and Georgia were both wonderful characters, but of course Daniel stole the show, as you know he will from the very first page.

There just seemed to be way too much angst most of th
Summer
4.5 Stars

This is an excellent emotional story told entirely from Reese's POV on how he handles discovering he is bi. There is a lot of emotion in this book and the only way I could have thought it better would have been to put in the other two character's thoughts into the mix and add a little more to the end. I really did like this book, but I want a second to get an actual HEA. The ending is left pretty open to suspision.

******
If you liked this book you may enjoy the following groups:
Erotic E
Elizabeth Silver
Full disclosure: The author is a friend.

Why you should believe my review is valid anyway: I read this book without knowing the author from Eve, and thought it was one of the best books I've read in ages, and hunted her down because I wanted to know what kind of person could come up with such beautiful imagery and gorgeously flawed, human characters. They're selfish and confused and greedy and lustful... and fragile and loving and giving and surprising all at the same time. And the sex scenes are
Nicole
I have read several of Scarlett's books, and this is by far my favorite. So hot that I thought it would kill my Nook. Daniel and Reece are fun characters, their differences making them quite perfect for each other. Their passion and intensity will have you begging for more.

Scarlett's writing is superb, every word a drop of water to someone dying of thirst. Every little detail, a touch, a glance, and you are holding your breath, desperate to know what happens next. If you enjoy passionate, emoti
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
______________________________________________________________________

Menage Readers

Erotic Enchants

Bookie Nookie's Erotic eBook Exchange
Xondra Day
I liked this book because it shows what can happen when a menage goes wrong. The characters were not perfect, and neither was their situation.

Cross did annoy me at times, and I wondered why Reese was so in love with him. He didn't come across as being likeable to me.

This is a different read, and I wouldn't call it a romance. But if you are looking for something a bit outside the box, you might enjoy this one. I did.
Rush
I set my expectations too high with this story, I guess. I wanted things I didn't get.
The guys didn't do it for me. I like my guys cocky but Daniel Fucking Cross, as he refers to himself, takes it to a new level. Reece was a selfish asshat. You can't have your cake and eat it, too, bud. And poor Georgia. I feel for you girl. I don't think either of us thought it would end the way it did.
Sherry
Well, I started this book months ago. I tried to pick it up and read it 3 more times. I can't do it I give up!!! I don't like anyone in this book. I really really dislike them.(Angel wing tattoos are so dorky to me. I'd like puke.Sorry to offend you if you're brazen enough to sport them. But they are stupid!)
Miranda Baker
I'm a tension junkie and I had a great time reading this book. A whiff of taboo. Some angst. Hot guys, hot sex, open minds (well, mostly). Lots of emotion and super writing. Ms. Parrish has such a distinct voice, I want to read more of her work to see if it carries through. She hooked me!
Aman
Jul 19, 2013 Aman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: erotic
It was a little frustrating when he kept going back and forth between them both. It was clearly obvious who he had strong feelings for but you could tell he was afraid and unsure about letting go. I liked Daniel from day one :)
Laura Carson
I don't usually read M/M romance, and that is kind of what this ended up being. That being said, I loved the characters and their emotions radiated off the pages. A fantastic highly erotic book that I loved every minute of.
Julia
A menage with consequences, very interesting. I never quite figured out the back and forth between Reece and Georgia (I can't cite examples without spoilers), but I really enjoyed Reece as a main character.
Lonestar Mama
This was great! I got a little frustrated with Reece's complete inability to form complete sentences, ever, but other than that, it was really a good book. Loved DFC!!
Cassandra Carr
Scarlett Parrish does it again with a scintillating tale of a man torn between the two parts of himself. This is a quick, sexy read that's going on the keeper shelf!
  • Asylum (Sanctuary, #2)
  • Fallon's Flame (Dawn Endeavor, #1)
  • Trifecta
  • Dirty Thirty
  • Jesse
  • Daniel's Surrender (Worthington Group, #3)
  • Worlds Apart
  • Sweet Redemption (Tygers, #5)
  • Claiming Cullen
  • Rising, Freestyle (Xtreme Adventures, #2)
  • Light Switch
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1)
  • Where the Heart Is
  • Anchor and Storm
  • Simply Perfection (Perfect Love, #4)
  • Becoming Three (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #6)
  • Tea for Three
  • A Matter Among Four
Long Time Coming Stay The Night Plus One Burn Bring Me to Life

“I don‟t feel awkward at all.”
“Don‟t you?”
“No. I‟m Daniel Fucking Cross.”
I stopped and leaned against a shop front. “Oh. Well.” I drew in a deep breath. “Good. Good.”
1 likes