Start by marking “Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen

Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,531 ratings  ·  50 reviews
What if you could cook fantastic meals similar to the heartwarming comfort dishes your grandma used to make…and have them be good for you? In Paleo Comfort Foods, Charles and Julie Mayfield provide you with an arsenal of recipes that are healthy crowd-pleasers, sure to appeal to those following a paleo, primal, gluten-free, or "real-food" way of life—a ...more
Published September 12th 2011 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published September 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Paleo Comfort Foods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paleo Comfort Foods

Wildrose VuVu Magoo
I loved this book! So far we've made the jambalaya and baked okra with spices, and it was a hit! I can't wait to try everything else. The recipes don't look very difficult and the pictures are mouth watering.
Monica
Jan 08, 2013 Monica added it
Shelves: cookbooks
I started skimming through this last night, looking for recipes to try out. I really feel like this should be called Paleo Southern-Style Cooking or something, rather than Comfort Foods, since the author is from the South and basically focuses on Southern recipes. This is not a bad thing, but the title is misleading, since I don't know that most folks consider crawfish, for instance, as a comfort food. I guess, too, when I think of comfort food I think of things like breakfast food, such as fren ...more
Lauren
Aug 20, 2013 Lauren rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gluten-free eaters
This book is poorly edited and that makes me question the accuracy of the recipes. No, I so rarely get a chance to try out recipes of a library-book while I have it out, so I have yet to try. However, I have serious doubts. It started with bad grammar, such as using "your" instead of "you." Soon, ingredients in the instructions were not on the ingredient list (meaning I have no idea how much green onion I am to put in, in addition to the white onion). For some, I suspect the list had one type of ...more
Greta
I've tried a few of the recipes and they've turned out well. Love the pictures. However, in some of the pictures you can obviously tell that they used at least one different ingredient than listed in the recipe (mushrooms when there are none listed, red pepper instead of the green pepper listed, etc.) Weird?
Jennilee
Great recipes for those "comfort foods' you sometimes miss on the paleo diet. however, there is SO MUCH reading in the recipes and the ingredient lists are very long. there are very few 'simple' recipes. most of them are very involved which makes them less appealing to make. I WOULD recommend this book for any paleo eater though. It really hits the spot for some of those foods you miss!!!
Catherine
I checked this book out from the library because we have adopted a gluten-free diet for my other half's digestive issues and I wanted some new ideas. If you are already a competent cook, this book is GREAT for ideas or new twists on things you may already make. For example, we eat a lot of spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, it was cool to get the idea of doing a "pesto" sauce instead. I also found the dessert section to be quite good, we tried the berry tart and I will probably make the lemon b ...more
Amy
Have been using this for gluten-free ideas. It has a strong Southern US slant on comfort food, which is great if, like me, you are from the South. There are even Cajun and Creole recipes! And a few for okra. =)

It's a great jumping off point for those of us who might not be planning on going Paleo and eating loads of organ meat (though there are some recipes like that included), but we need grain free ways of cooking old standards. Also, while I can't imagine making cream gravy with coconut milk
AnandaTashie
Some of the chit-chat antidotes are too diet-purity-preachy. I should make the lemon squares only once per year because the entire recipe calls for a whopping 1/4 cup of honey? Even the banana pudding came with a "once-in-awhile treat" warning because of the actual bananas (no added sweeteners). I guess I would rather diet / paleo / lifestyle suggestions be contained to their own section of the book rather than intermingling so much with the recipes.

As for the recipes, I wish there was an actual
Penelope
I'm glad that I purchased this book. I've tried a few recipes and they taste very good. As a Type 2 diabetic, I found greater control of my glucose levels and HbA1c by strictly limiting the sugars, grains and beans I allow in my diet. I worry less about calorie and fat intake. I have also found that my appetite is less voracious.

I really do believe that I respond to sugars and starchy foods the way alcoholics respond to beer and liquor - once I start eating these foods, I find that I am never f
Patricia Green
I truly enjoyed this friendly view of Paleo cooking and the Paleo attitude behind it. The recipes were easy to understand, easy to follow, and didn't call for very many ingredients I couldn't find in my local supermarket. (Had to order coconut flour online, but that was no big deal.) The recipes I tried have been excellent. The authors offer helpful tips and substitution ideas that make the food easy to fit into your lifestyle and family eating habits.

Although many recipes are not low carb (hon
Martha Smith
The book is well written and very much needed. The photographs are intoxicating. If you are looking for comfort Paleo food this is the book for you. I however, try to lean more towards the healthier side and indulge a bit less.
Sara
Unwieldy book; ugly font. Most of the recipes are boring.

I'm sorry, but kale salad and pickled shrimp don't count as comfort foods.

And I'm sorry, but the cavepeople didn't have oil in which to fry things.
Kateri
This book definitely has some great, easy recipes. Love the breakfast egg muffins (now a staple in our home) and we even thought the fried chicken was pretty impressive for involving no wheat flour.
Beth
9 out of 10 recipes I tried were awesome - borrowed it from the library & now I'm going to buy a copy
Stacey
My go to book for comfort food, everything I've made has been more delish than I expected. I love having it on kindle on my phone so those days I go to the grocery store without a clue, I can find something really quick and get the ingredients. My favorites are:
Breakfast Egg Muffins,Ham & Egg Cups,Dry Brined Big Bird,***** Pot of Chicken Pie**** my favorite hands down! and Paleo Mayonnaise.
June
Lots of basics in paleo cooking. The biscuit recipe is great and super adaptable.
Jude Grebeldinger
Very good ideas here.
Ellen
Perhaps instead of Paleo Comfort Foods this book should be titled Paleo Southern Foods as many of the recipes are Southern in nature. I have made 2 recipes from the book (their version of Chicken Pot Pie Casserole and Turkey Loaf) and found them very tasty. My 14-yr-old son didn't like the Chicken Pot Pie but really liked the Turkey Loaf. The recipes are a bit more time-consuming than what I am used to but I'll definitely be trying some more of them out. I may make the chocolate cake recipe for ...more
Tiffany Schomel
Working my way through the recipes that appeal to me in this book. So far the pumpkin pancakes are a winner. Highly enjoyed the sweet potato hash. My 4 year old loved the olive balls. Love the little anecdotes and side stories. Can't wait to try more recipes! I gifted their over book to a friend. Hopefully she'll share with me?
Lori
Can't say enough good things about this Paleo cookbook. Recipes are fab, directions clear and photos are very nice.

Unfortunately, the "ingredient index" is the pits (several items are excluded making it impossible to quickly find a recipe) and there is no title index.

Fedex Office did a great job converting this paperback to a bona fide spiral-bound book, thereby making it significantly more practical and kitchen friendly. :)
Kimboo
Wow, this book is right up my alley - fairly easy recipes that are delicious. It's just as advertised, comfort foods for those of us living the paleo/primal lifestyle. Great for someone like me, who is not much into cooking but likes yummy, familiar food when I do. Definitely a must-buy! Highly recommended!
Rebekka Steg
I really love my copy of Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie & Charles Mayfield. The recipes are excellent, easy to follow and accompanied by gorgeous, mouth-watering photos. Whether you are into Paleo or not, new to Paleo or not, I think you'll find something to your taste.
Falcon
My bible for Paleo cooking, especially useful for those seeking Paleo versions of comfort food favorites. Everything I've made from this book has yet to disappoint, the almond bread recipe being a weekly staple.
Voracious
Didn't wind up using any recipes from it. Some too elaborate - stuffed quail! - some not really our taste. Very Southern US. Learned a bit from it, though. And have found that coconutflour is available here, yay!
Laura Ellison
This had some good recipes! I made the fried green tomatoes and they were okay, not amazing, but good enough for a meal. It was nice to see food that I grew up on made in a way that was paleo friendly.
Heather Wiese
Some great recipes in here for paleo eating. I appreciate the simpler recipes, because let's face it, we don't all have time to cook extravagant meals. I need quick ideas!
Amy
Great, satisfying recipes, but sloppy in the execution. It's necessary to read closely to realize eggs are to be separated, butter for sauteeing often appears unannounced.
Sharon
Thought this would have some different recipes...but it really IS just what it claims to be...a comfort food book with Paleo substitutions...not a bad book, just not for me.
Joe
There's some really tasty recipes in here, but the organization is criminally bad. Have you ever seen a cookbook that didn't have a listing of the recipes?
Casey
Lots of good tips and information, with a great variety of recipes. The big pictures and simple ingredients make this an easy book to work with.
Ingredients missing - were quantities okay? 1 6 Aug 12, 2013 05:46PM
  • Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Primal Cravings: Your Favorite Foods, Made Paleo
  • Paleo Indulgences: Healthy Gluten-Free Recipes to Satisfy Your Primal Cravings
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages
  • Beyond Bacon: Paleo Recipes that Respect the Whole Hog
  • The Paleo Kitchen: Finding Primal Joy in Modern Cooking
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Paleo Slow Cooking: Gluten Free Recipes Made Simple
  • Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
Quick & Easy Paleo Comfort Foods: 100+ Delicious Gluten-Free Recipes The Paleo Summer Survival Guide: 12 Must-Have Recipes Plus Insider Tips for a Healthy, Happy Summer The Magical First Day Eat Well Now: Try Six Bestsellers to Find Your Perfect Diet: The Virgin Diet\The Beauty Detox Solution\Your Best Body Now\Quick & Easy Paleo Comfort Foods\The New Lean for Life\Eat & Beat Diabetes with Picture Perfect Weight Loss