Start by marking “Fade (In the company of shadows, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fade (In the company of shadows, #4)

Fade (In the Company of Shadows #4)

4.66 of 5 stars 4.66  ·  rating details  ·  998 ratings  ·  191 reviews
42 Chapters + Epilogue (404,241 words COMPLETE)

In the Company of Shadows series description:

Years after the bombs of WWIII have changed the physical and political landscape, the Agency ruthlessly works behind the scenes to take down rebel groups that threaten the current government. Their goals justify all means. Hsin Liu Vega (Sin) is their most efficient and deadly assas...more
ebook, Online Fiction, 1214 pages
Published March 2nd 2013 by Santino Hassell & Ais (first published April 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fade

Susan

photo 0cb2ef8b-33e0-42d2-b34a-7c9c93ceae31_zpsce3d55ab.jpg

AMENDED & FINAL REVIEW:

Additional thoughts Ch 37 - 42 + epilogue (March 2, 2013)

Good LORD! That is some FANTASTICALLY BRILLIANT stuff!!!!!

"How can they possibly wrap everything up?" "How will it end?" "What happens to...?" GAHHHHH!!!!! The last few chapters were so, so, so GOOD! I can't even...I just...I...I...GAHHHHH!!!! For fans new and old to this series, Sonny & Ais did SO RIGHT by us in how they wrapped this all up.

"Fade" is the BEST book of the series, and "In the Company of S...more
Jenn
The best in the series, and the most disturbing, heartbreaking, pull your hair out, weep in agony and joy, God please let me not love & worry about all of these characters, fuck it I'm losing sleep again book...ever.

You can argue till the death about these characters, and I really feel no one is wrong. Why? Because they are so realistically written. They aren't pretty, they will piss you off, they will make you cry, and all along you just want something wonderful to happen...and then, it do...more
Shelley

I wish I would've met you
Now it's a little late
What you could've taught me
I could've saved some face

They think that your early ending
Was all wrong
For the most part, they're right
But look how they all got strong

That's why I say
What a good shot man

A man has gun
Hey man, have fun
Nice shot

Now that the smoke's gone
And the air is all clear
Those who were right there
Got a new kind of fear

You'd fight and you were right
But they were just...more
It's just me Shelly B
I'm so sad because I never wanted this to end I could read about these characters forever!!! I am in LOVE with series and I can't believe it's OVER!!!

I just cant believe it's over......CONSUMED these books consumed ME!! Im guessing here, on the length of this series, but 4000+ pages and I'm pissed because I can't wake up tomorrow and read MORE!! This should never end.....yes I'm a greedy bitch and I don't CARE!!

Hsin "Sin"
Oh my sweet psychotic Hsin.....you stole my heart!!! I will never forget...more
Mel
*sniffle*

I just finished. Ugh, my mind is spinning with a wide variety of thoughts and feelings. And bittersweetness prevails.
I can't believe this is the end. I can't believe this journey is over. But there it was, written in black and white italics: 'The End of In the Company of Shadows'.

*sniffle*

With the last book of the series, it's really inevitable not to incorporate the series as a whole in the rating. And that general evaluation would lead to 5 stars. Which is weird, since I didn't act...more
SueC
You know that terrible sinking feeling you get when you realize that the alternate universe you've been living in (and loving) has just finished? Yep, I'm feeling it post Fade... but it is completely worth it.

Here's the thing with 'In the Company of Shadows'; it's long. It's so long that there were times when I rolled my eyes and felt like all the teeny tiny details were completely unnecessary... BUT they weren't. The details and inner ramblings served their purpose in helping us love and unders...more
Steph
This book is completely devastating. It’s incredibly written as always, but it will tear you apart inside. For about the first 30%, I was very confused and was struggling to understand just what the hell had happened in the year that Boyd was away.
Sin and Boyd had been so happy together but it seemed that this mission would finally be the last straw, the one thing that would have torn them apart, for good!

I have enjoyed this series more than I could have ever hoped, but I have to be honest,...more

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

”Lately it felt like every truth he ever thought he knew kept turning out to be a lie.”

What we want or need to believe and what’s true often get so twisted up and turned around. But Fade takes it to a whole new level. The intensity level is turned way up for the last installment of the In the Company of Shadows series. Despair, longing, action, humor, and suspense bring Fade to life in vivid pain and passion. The twists & turns, shocks, and connections will keep you on th...more
Amanda
03.03.13

5+++++ stars

Wow. Just wow. This book, this whole series, is amazing. Every part of it. Sure, some of it rambled at times but I still love it.

Fade was amazing. I don't have the words right now. The ending was well worth the wait. I'm now hoping for some form of continuation of ICoS. Whether it be a spin off or back stories. I just want more Hsin, Boyd and of course Emilio.

I know I joined the ICoS bandwagon fairly late in the game, but in a way I'm grateful for that. Unlike my other GR bu...more
Dreamer
A roller-coaster ride of angst and adventure, just breaks your heart! Just loved this book, the best written so far. Completed at last, congrats to Sonny and Ais on a brilliant ending..

"The top of (Boyd's) head pressed against the wall and he was sobbing; a wretched mess in the middle of chaos and it hurt, it hurt so much."
Eva
I NEED MORE STARS!

Fade is absolutely the BEST book of the series!
And one of the BEST books I have ever read!

Everything was perfect: the plot, the main characters and the side characters…

I completely fell in love with them over and over again.

Hsin

Boyd

(view spoiler)

The book was a complete roller-coaster. I felt...

Pain...

Hopelessness...

(view spoiler)...more
Taylor
What an ending! It was every bit as climatic as it should have been for a series of this length. Fade grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go until you've choked up every last tear. It's impossible to really get into specifics without spoiling, but suffice it to say, if you've come this far you will not be disappointed.

ETA: (view spoiler)...more
Isabel
What a journey!!!! Fade is, with no doubt, the best book of ICoS! In this book, not only the characters are amazing, but also is the plot. Of course that there was suffering and tears... In the beginning I couldn't stop crying, and there were other parts equal devastating! But I am very happy to have read this series!

Hsin and Boyd will always be with me! Their friendship, their devotion, their love, are memorable... epic! I will never forget them!

photo 4724987_zpsb0b95c0d.gif

And then there was this character, Emilio Vega,...more
Abbie
Boyd comes back from his long valentine mission. But something is amiss. Something big. Something important. He must find a way to live without him, but he doesn't think he needs to... He still has hope.

An absolute work of art.
The depth to the characters, even the ones who don't have a big role is tremendous, I feel like I know all the characters in and out. There is a lot of heartbreak in this novel, so heed my forewarning, and fortify your heart!

Fade has to be the best book in the series, the...more
Jeffrey
Mar 04, 2013 Jeffrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a Special Forces fan
Recommended to Jeffrey by: A Goodread's friend
Shelves: changed-me
DayDreamer
Brilliant. Thrilling. Everything is either about mirrors or goes into circles, or both.
March 2nd, COMPLETE
I stand my case. Circles for the win.
'Change is the signal for rebirth.'

(view spoiler)

27/8/12 28-30 Just quo...more
Em
I had to delay doing my review for a few days as I was feeling numb and really couldn't have put anything remotely coherent down straight away.

Whilst the first three books were at a much slower pace, this one raced ahead and I found myself gasping at almost every page, not wanting to put it down. It was intense to say the least.

I'm happy to a certain extent with the ending and do realize that after everything Hsin and Boyd had gone through, an ending with everything tied off nicely wouldn't ha...more
Christina

This book, this series, deserves nothing less than 10 stars. Pure brilliance! I really can't believe it's over. But there's hope, for MORE! Although, this series is one of my favorites, Fade had a bit of an imbalance to it. (view spoiler) I went through so many different emotions reading this series and I wouldn't trade a minute of it. What a ride. Thanks to all my GR friends for the support and laughs.

*...more
Teodora Kostova

OK. Here it goes.

Fade is... intense. Emotional. Funny. Nerve wracking. Heart wrenching. Sexy. Hurl-the-Kindle-against-the-wall unfair.
It is so much more than a book. It is the end of an EPIC journey.

Be warned: THERE ARE A LOT OF

description

The first 30% are hell on Earth! It hurts. A LOT.

description

I literally couldn't stop crying. It took me so long to read the first 300 pages, because it's really hard to actually see anything when you cry your eyes out. I couldn't sleep, couldn't go out, couldn't talk to anyone for...more
Ilhem
Apr 22, 2013 Ilhem rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Allow me a literal translation of a French expression : “I am exploded!” Which leads to my excuse for this incoherent review. I didn’t regroup, yet.

Fade
I raged and sniffled, I smiled and laughed, I melted and lusted, I held my breath, lost my breath and hyperventilated, I mended my broken heart and hoped. In short, I had a blast! 5 stars.

To the authors : I owe you grey hairs and a heartfelt thank you for a series that kept more than it promised and steadily improved, that didn’t go out of brea...more
deirdre
wow . . .intense ride

will update when book is finished.
O.k. It is done. Some haphazard thoughts as that is all I can muster right now.

I am speechless. That rarely happens.
I cannot write an adequate review, I lack the writing skill needed.

As I reflect on the entire series I have these thoughts ...

Holy shit!! That was fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Please please please write more . . .

As a rabid reader, it has become increasingly difficult to find original plot lines. Well developed characters, main...more
Karen
Where to begin? That's a hell of a question when pondering this series. From start to finish I was drawn in, compelled to keep reading even when I felt like taking a break and reading something else, even just a short story before continuing on. There was always a nagging voice in the back of my brain saying 'no' so I kept reading.

The scariest part of this series was the setting. Set in a world that is post World War III. We are presented with a future that holds very real possibilities, very be...more
LenaLena
Up to Chapter 9:

Call me Agony Addict, but I loved these first chapters of Fade. Not once did I want to claw my eyeballs out, like I'd been warned, although I did come close to crying a few times. As usual, the main characters are dealt merciless blows and are pretty fucking miserable. I don't know what it is about Sonny Ais, but they do agony just right. I'm sure everyone has a personal comfort level in that regard, and this, apparently, is mine. They make me feel it, really feel it, without goi...more
Vicky
Fade
I don't think I have words to express how much I enjoyed these books.

It was such an emotional journey from start to finish and I LOVED every minute of it.

Beautiful!

This entire series was an amazingly executed character driven, emotional drama, which delves deep into souls of our two MC’s.

Sonny & Ais did an amazing job of telling this heart-pounding story that I was not only addicted to, but to them as another one of my favorite authors. They did a fantastic job of creating characters wi...more
Silkeeeeee
Have you ever found yourself tentatively reading the last book in a series? That is what I seemed to do with this one. I was so vested in Boyd and Sin that I was fearful it wasn't going to end the way I believed it would. Did it? Uhhhh, not really. I'm not going to put any specifics here because some readers enjoy reading a suspenseful read. I still gave it a five star rating because this series really rated over a five star rating, even though five is the highest.

I haven't read anyone else's r...more
Ornella (Nyx)
4.5 Stars

I'm just going to write this review for the whole series. It's not spoilery, so it's safe to read.

Even though these books were far from perfect they sucked me in and didn't let go. Even now I am having a huge book hangover. I love all these characters. I was there with them through it all and it was one hell of a ride.

I think most of you will agree with me that these books were damn long, and I mean retarded long. So long, that it was what made me be so hesitant at first to even pick th...more
DaisyGirl
5.0 enthusiastic stars for this series!!!

I am utterly speechless. That was unbelievably amazing. Just ... f*cking amazing. Seriously. These past few weeks, while engrossed in ICoS, I feel as though I have been living apart from myself. I went to work, woodenly going through the motions of doing my day job but all the while I was consumed by thoughts of Sin and Boyd; always waiting on a razor's edge for an opportunity (no matter how brief) to return to their world. Now that my journey is over I f...more
Jen
Joy
Sense of time fled as everything became focused on the warm press of lips against lips; of heated breath caught between them and fingers sometimes desperately, sometimes reverently, sliding along bare skin and clothes and tangling in hair.

Good--so damn good

3/2/13

Perfect ending to one of the best series I've read--
Santino & Ais : Fade *WITH SPOILERS* 93 162 Aug 23, 2014 03:44AM
trying to find this book 2 47 Mar 02, 2013 12:04PM
Fade 1 - 11 12 55 Jun 20, 2011 04:40PM
Fade 1-9 31 55 Jun 20, 2011 08:25AM
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • First Against the Wall (The Administration, #6)
  • Close Protection
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
"One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Santino is a dedicated gamer, a Grindr enthusiast, and (since 2001) has been fully immersed in writing slash fanfic and LGBT fiction that focuses on the darker side of human nature and the complexity of relationships.
More about Santino Hassell...
Evenfall (In the company of shadows, #1) Afterimage (In the company of shadows, #2) The Interludes (In the company of shadows, #3) After Midnight 1/27: An ICoS Anthology

“Freedom is not worth it without him.” 38 likes
“I love you, Hsin," he said hoarsely. "I missed you so much."
"I love you, too." Sin's voice was still thick and husky. "I came back for you. Because I wanted to find you, because I wanted to remember you.”
24 likes