Start by marking “Hippo! No, Rhino! (Alex Toys)” as Want to Read:
Hippo! No, Rhino! (Alex Toys)

Hippo! No, Rhino! (Alex Toys)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  24 reviews
One day, the zookeeper gives Rhino the wrong sign.

Read this book to find out what happens next!
Published July 1st 2006 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hippo! No, Rhino!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hippo! No, Rhino!

Amy Musser
This is a book about a rhino that lives at the zoo. Unfortunately, the zookeeper in charge of putting up the signs is a little confused. He puts up a sign that says “Hippo” in front of the rhino. As people walk up and say, “Hippo,” the rhino corrects each of them with a, “No, rhino!” There are just over 20 words and most of them rhyme with rhino, “Fix the sign-o!” The fun is knowing that no matter what, the rhino will say, “No, rhino!” to each zoo-goer. Even though there aren’t a lot of words, i ...more
Ashlea
Hippo! No Rhino is a mostly wordless picture book. The book is about a rhino in a zoo who’s sign says he is a hippo. This really upsets the rhino and he tries to set the record straight by fixing the sign. He can’t fix it and gets more upset. At last a little boy comes along and notices the sign says the wrong animal and fixes for the rhino.

Activity #1- Students could choose different animals and the students have to write a book about which animal they choose gets mistaken for.

Activity #2- The
Phannie
My kids LOVED this book. It's so silly to have the zoo keeper mix up the signs.
Becca_moeller
i was surprised when i opened this book for my animal fiction readings. there was no worded story! the book displayed a young Rhino in a zoo who was mistakenly labeled as a hippo. People would walk past exhibit everyday day saying "oh hippo" as they looked at him and took pictures. this really upset the Rhino, he didnt like being confused as a hippo. finally a young boy came by and changed the sign and the hippo was happy. in a funny twist, the last page is a hippo woth a sign pointing to him th ...more
Asho
This is another book that I checked out from the library in a book bundle and then realized was a bit too sophisticated for my 1 year-old. It's a mostly-wordless story about a rhino at the zoo who is accidentally labeled as a hippo. I loved the illustrations of the frustrated rhino, and I can see an older child finding this book very funny.
Paula
Not a lot of text but the illustrations are very colorful and full of expressions
When a careless worker places the wrong sign near a rhinoceros's cage, zoo visitors continually mistake the frustrated rhino for a hippopotamus, until a young boy comes along who can help.
Lindsay
zoos, feelings, wordless (though technically there are a few words) Love the psychedelic illustrations though they're a bit busy. Might be a nice intro to comic book tracking. Definitely for older preshoolers.
Sandy Brehl
A careless/distracted zoo worker mislabels rhino, who tries ineffectively to right the wrong that has been done to him. Very few words, with word-play and a humorous twist at the end.
Kelly
May 19, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: animals
This is a funny book you could read again and again. It will make kids giggle, especially if you read it right. Some of the shading is weird on the rhino though, where it shows his "arm."
Todd
Beautiful masterpiece in children's stories, Hippo! No, Rhino! offers visual story-telling with wonderfully painted pictures. Newman hit the horn on the head with this one!
Lesley
Cute book. I could see sharing this with an elementary school class before a field trip to the zoo. In fact, it made me want to go to the zoo. :)
Rebecca
There are only a handful of words in this book. It is mostly a picture book for looking at. I'm not too into those!
Melissa
Great pictures, simple book. My little boy loved this book. He loved screaming, "No Rhino!"
Nancy Jo Lambert
My son thought this book was hilarious and loved it! It was pretty entertaining.
Lupine
Fantastic illustrations. Has minimal words but still funny and fun to read aloud.
Anna
Quite charming. G and I quote this all the time.
Kirei
A peturbed rhino is mistaken for a hippo.
Martha
Use with "A Porcupine Named Fluffy"
Joel
AWESOME@!@!@!@@!@!@!@@!@!@@!@@!
Paula
Read for storytime 2.4.2013 & 2.5.2013
Megan
totally fun!
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Maya Mosher
Maya Mosher marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jeff Newman grew up in Ashland, Massachusetts, and attended the Art Institute of Boston. He currently lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
More about Jeff Newman...
The Boys Hand Book Reginald Conflict Under Control Hippo! No, Rhino