Start by marking “When Blue Met Egg” as Want to Read:
When Blue Met Egg

When Blue Met Egg

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  266 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
One cold winter day, Blue returns to her nest to find something wonderful: Egg! Or rather a snowball she mistakes for an egg. Blue puts Egg in a pail and sets off to look for Egg's mother. But as the winter winds down and the temperature goes up, Blue is in for a sad surprise. Not to worry, though. In this sweet story of friendship, even snowmelt grows into something beaut ...more
Published February 2nd 2012 by Penguin Group USA, Inc

To ask other readers questions about When Blue Met Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Blue Met Egg

babyhippoface
Mar 13, 2012 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
One wintry day an "egg" flies through the air and lands in Blue's nest high in a tree. Blue is worried sick about Egg, so she sets out to find its mother. They look all over New York City: Central Park, Times Square, Battery Park, the Guggenheim, the Metropolitan Opera, the Brooklyn Bridge, the subway station, Columbus Circle, even the Empire State Building, but Egg's mother is nowhere to be found. Blue devotes herself to caring for Egg until Egg's mother comes back. After weeks and months, warm ...more
Barbara
When a snowball lands in her nest, Blue is surprised but also somewhat delighted at the early arrival of an egg. She tenderly cares for Egg despite its silence while searching for Egg's mother. She searches high and low, but Egg's mother is not to be found. Her journey, by the way, allows readers to take a wonderful visual tour of New York City's busy streets. Over the next months, Blue becomes increasingly attached to Egg as they go on outings, including visits to art museums and the opera. But ...more
Sarah W
Oct 31, 2011 Sarah W rated it it was amazing
Blue wakes up one winter's day when a mysterious egg lands in her nest. Blue places egg in a bucket and looks all over New York City for Egg's mother, but she is unable to find the mother. Blue takes Egg in for an afternoon of wonderful fun making snowbirds and taking trips down the hill on a sled. Winter turns to spring and Egg grows smaller. Blue tries to care for her sick friend and gets a big surprise.

Lindsay Ward's picture book is filled with cheery artwork. Blue's expressive little face ad
Annie Xu
Jul 06, 2015 Annie Xu rated it really liked it
This is a heart warming tale that tells of an unlikely friendship that forms. It is a great book to teach students about friendship and responsibility. It is also great to show students the life of New York City, which is where the story takes place. Blue is a bird that wakes up to a seemingly strange "egg" that lands in her nest. (It really is just a ball of snow!) Taking on the responsibility she sets out taking care of Egg and helping it find it's mother throughout the city. Blue is optimisti ...more
RachelAnne
Mar 27, 2015 RachelAnne rated it really liked it
At once poignant and goofy, this book is a delight. During a snowball fight, something round and white flies into this urban blue bird’s nest. When Blue is unable to find the presumed egg's mother, she adopts the egg, taking it with her through the city on a series of winter adventures. When the weather begins to warm, Egg starts getting smaller. “At first Blue thought Egg was sick. She tried everything to make Egg feel better. Even soup, but that just seemed to make things worse.” One morning, ...more
Kathy Ellen Davis
This book is SO CUTE!
I love the little friendship story, and the illustrations are phenomenal!
I love the cut paper style, and this has it just right!

Haiku Review:
Blue meets a new friend
After adventures 'round town,
Egg loses his shape!
Peacegal
Feb 17, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Wow! This book is a real gem. The illustrations are fantastic, and the storyline is both amusing and affecting. This is exactly the sort of thing you look for in a picture book--something that both children and adults can enjoy.
Apr 19, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Blue is sitting in a nest while children are having a snowball fight below. Suddenly, something white and roundish and cold is thrown into the nest. Blue believes it is an egg and is determined to find the egg's mother. Blue carries the egg in a basket to all the hotspots around New York. No one is taking ownership of the egg, much to Blue's surprise. Soon, Blue stops looking and takes care of the egg. The egg stays with Blue for months, but seems to be getting sick. As the days get warmer, the ...more
Rachel
I thought I might use this book when I did a Preschool DiscoveryTime on eggs, but it didn't quite work. But I thought it was cute and so brought it home to read with my son. He liked the story, though it was a bit long. Blue is a bird who lives in New York City and one day she meets the lonely Egg, who she sort of adopts as she takes him around the city trying to find his mom. They are together winter to spring when he hatches into something special. I had to explain the ending to my son as he d ...more
Steven Matview
Jul 09, 2015 Steven Matview rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e
This book is really cute! The illustrations are very creative, lots of recycled homework papers in there which is cool. Blue is likable and the way everything is resolved is nice. It also touches on seasons and months of the year, so it can be reused for many different programs.
Kelly
Apr 10, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A perfect book for a one-on-one read. The pictures offer just a details to entertain a small child without overloading the pages. This book could also be used as a lead in to spring.
The Reading Countess
Nov 21, 2011 The Reading Countess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, arc
One of my treasures from NCTE this weekend, I thought to myself that this sweet story reminded me of the classic/beloved ARE YOU MY MOTHER? That is, until the end. The simple storyline and clean illustrations were a complete dichotomy to the unpredictable ending.

I am passing this gem along to my son's primary teacher, who I hope will love it as much as I did. I also hope that she shares with the class how books come to sit on their shelves, since this particular copy's pages are still not even
Portia P.
Mar 05, 2014 Portia P. rated it it was amazing
Enchanting and fun, fun, fun to read to younger students that enjoyed the creativity and imagination explored by the author.
Katie
Mar 26, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, pb-calm
This book is sweet. But it made me so sad. I'm too sensitive for books like this.
The Book Box
Feb 22, 2016 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me this morning. We both thought it was really cute and clever.
Michele Knott
Sweet story about friendship. I was a little confused with the ending.
April Thompson
Mar 07, 2014 April Thompson rated it it was amazing
Forget Batman and Robin.. Blue and Egg, the new dynamic duo!
Cori Edgerton
Apr 30, 2015 Cori Edgerton rated it really liked it
Such a cute and wonderful story of friendship!!!
Jeanette Johnson
Sep 29, 2012 Jeanette Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute and heartwarming story about Blue the bird who found egg. Similar to "Are you my mother?", Blue is going to help egg find it's mother. The traverse all over the city looking for egg's mother but after having no luck they decide to have some fun. They go sledding, ice-skating and make snow-birds. Weeks and then months pass with each day as fun and entertaining as the first. Egg starts to get smaller as time goes by and Blue is worried that egg is sick. One day egg disappears and bird f ...more
Barbara
Dec 28, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Blue the bird is relaxing in her nest on a snowy day when she spots something extraordinary flying through the air. What is it? A strange looking egg. Blue searches far and wide for Egg’s mother and when she cannot find a bird to claim it, she takes Egg in as her own. Egg becomes Blue’s best friend as the two go on adventures together. This is a wonderful picture book with lovely illustrations and a good message about friendship.
Annabella
Cute book
Mary
Very cute story of a bird who mistakes a snowball for an egg. She takes care of it throught the winter while searching New York City for the mother. While the story is cute enough, the illustrations are really what makes this book fun. The background scenes of skyscrapers, snowy hills in the park, and the river are often created out of unlikely materials like crossword puzzles, a teacher's attendance book, street maps and what appears to be Scantron sheets. Very unique.
Donalyn
I loved the format and color palette for this book, but the story was a little weird. When a snowball lands in Blue's nest, he carries it around NYC looking for "Egg's" mother. The bird bonds with the snowball and takes care of it for the entire winter. Spring brings along a natural conclusion to the story.

I think this book is really a love letter to New York City and the many marvelous places you can visit.
Chris Markley
Jun 20, 2013 Chris Markley rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Blue finds an 'egg' in winter & tries to find its mother. When mother can't be found she keeps it safe & they are inseparable, enjoying New York City in winter. One day when the weather turns warm Egg starts to look sick & warm blankets & soup makes it worse. The first sunny day of the year Blue wakes up to find egg gone, by her bucket is a puddle & something pink...."Egg, you've bloomed!"
Dolly
Jun 10, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, other-usa, 2012
This is a sweet, but strange little story about a bird who mistakes a snowball for an egg and nurtures it until it finally melts. The story is entertaining, but the illustrations are wonderful. We really liked looking at the mixed media pictures, especially the buildings made up of standardized forms. Overall, it was a fun story to read aloud and we enjoyed reading it together.
Mary
Oct 23, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Silly and sweet, and kids will loving feeling smarter than blue - and knowing what that "egg" really is and what happens to it in the Springtime. A little far-fetched that they could visit so many indoor spaces without egg... um, changing... but I think we can suspend our disbelief.
Annie
Sep 05, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
What a cute little story of a bird who thinks a snowball is a lost egg! It is set in New York with lots of landmarks. The pictures are especially charming as they are layers of cut paper. It reads well and we enjoyed the story. The bird, Blue, is a little clueless but has a loving heart.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Mar 10, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
I think this is an amazing little book. Blue finds what she thinks is an egg. It turns out the egg is ice. In the spring when the egg melts, Blue believes that the flower that springs where the egg melts is the egg. The writing is very good and this book will be a great read aloud.
Jnase1
May 15, 2013 Jnase1 rated it really liked it
Funny, but sweet book about a bird name blue who finds an "egg." She takes care of it all through the winter, but one spring morning she wakes to find that Egg is no longer there. Love the ending and kids will, too.
Great Books
Feb 14, 2012 Great Books added it
Shelves: ages-5-8
This is a fun story about a bird and an abandoned egg he finds. Bird takes great care of the egg only to be surprised in the end. They go to lots of great places and get the whole city experience. Reviewer number 12
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Too Tall Houses