Start by marking “Nasty Bugs” as Want to Read:
Nasty Bugs

Nasty Bugs

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  28 reviews
This tribute to the delightful nastiness of bugs features 16 poems by accomplished children's poets, including Marilyn Singer, J. Patrick Lewis, and Rebecca Andrew Loescher. Fun facts about the featured creatures round out this sure bet for poetry fans and bug enthusiasts alike. Full color.
Published March 15th 2012 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Nasty Bugs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nasty Bugs

Paul  Hankins
Poetry. . .bugs. . .boys. . .I think I see a kind of perfect match with the approach of April when we begin to celebrate poetry with our younger readers.

Okay. Wait. Maybe we lost you here. Bugs. . .yes. . .bugs. Look around your room right now? I'll bet you have some boys who absolutely love bugs. But when will they ever get to read a collection of poems about them? Or find them in a lesson or a book quite possibly meant just for them.

Lee Bennett Hopkins has done it again with NASTY BUGS. He's
Peg
Sixteen poems, three of which were commissioned for this book, inform and entertain readers. Poets include Hopkins, X. J. Kennedy, Marilyn Singer, J. Patrick Lewis, Alice Schertle, Douglas Florian, and several other well-known poets. Their creatures bite and suck their ways through plants, animals, humans, and stuff like wood in poems of free verse or tight rhythm and rhyme. The vocabulary is marvelous, with inventive words such as “yum-yucky,” and “pediculous,” descriptive terms such as writhin ...more
Pamela Kramer
'Nasty Bugs' features poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins and illustrations by Will Terry. It's a delightful book and will be greatly enjoyed by children of all ages.

The bugs are nasty and gross and include maggots, chiggers, wasps, lice and bed bugs. It's definitely not a read for the faint-of-heart! Sensitive children will have nightmares after seeing the head full of grayish lice as large as fingers in a head of hair, or a large, fanged bed bug hiding under the covers while a child peers an
Lauren Suchomski
Poetry book about bugs. Here are some lesson ideas:

* Teacher selects several poems to read aloud to the class and has students draw what they think the bugs look like. Can pair with Nonfiction books about the specific bugs and compare the way the information is presented to students
* In partners, students each get a bug to research and fill out a chart/form on. (Form would list bug name, location, appearance, etc) Students then have to present their bugs findings to the class.
Dolly
Dec 08, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous and entertaining collection about bugs most of us consider quite odious, like fleas, cockroaches, mosquitos and the like.

The poems are short and most of them rhyme and while the poems can be enjoyed individually, we really enjoyed reading them all at one time. The illustrations are colorful and the poor, maligned bugs sorta look cute.

Overall, I think this is a great book of poems and would be useful in a classroom or for storytime. I have to admit that our girls decided to p
Jessica Harrison
Full review at Cracking the Cover

There’s nothing cuddly about the nasty bugs. Even presented in this humorous book, there none to friendly. Bold, almost Pixar-esque illustrations give readers a close-up look at maggots, flies and lice.

“Nasty Bugs” is a fun, fast-moving book of poetry. Kids will enjoy the bigger-than-life illustrations and tongue-in-cheek text. Fun facts about each bug, which are found at the end of the book, are an added bonus.
Christine Turner

A collection of creepy, crawly poems by some of today's most beloved children's poets This tribute to the delightful nastiness of bugs features sixteen poems by accomplished children's poets, including Marilyn Singer, J. Patrick Lewis, and Rebecca Andrew Loescher. From "Ode to a Dead Mosquito" to "Termite Tune," this brightly illustrated, kid-friendly collection riffs on the details of the world's most infamous insects. Fun facts about the featured creatures round out this sure bet for poetry fa
Susie
This is an outstanding picture book on many levels: 1) the poetry is so well done, with many different, clever ones included 2) the illustrations are so colorful. They're just WOW! 3)it's also educational. The poems inform, and there is additional information at the back for each type of pest. 4) it's funny and creepy, just what kids like! I can just imagine some students sharing stories when some of the poems are read-- maybe more than we'd want to hear!
Sandy Brehl
Any time Lee Bennet Hopkins puts together a collection of poems, I'm at the front of a line waiting to read the book. This is no exception. Will Terry's colorfully intense and lush double-page spread illustrations are equally engaging, blending humor with the science embedded in each poem. This is a book that should be in every classroom, library, poetry unit, and home. Entertaining and informative is a priceless combination.
Diane
The tagline is "Poems to make your skin crawl" and they certainly do! These poems demonstrate how research and art can combine with great affect. The poets obviously know their topic and the poems communicate the appearance and interesting (if not disgusting!) traits of these different bugs. Illustrations are in vibrant colors for student appeal. A section in the back goes into more detail about each of these bugs.
Christina
A collection of bug poetry by various authors including Marilyn Singer and Douglas Florian. The gross out factor will surely entice boys and others who want to hear the down and dirty details of how a Water bug injects enzymes in order to "suck suck suck"! And in verse no less. This anthology is sure to find an audience.
Nicole
Some pretty cute, fun to read aloud poems in here. The viewpoint is decidedly against the bugs, but some are a bit more creative. The illustrations are big, vibrant, and good for a storytime. I particularly liked the Boll Weevil poem/song as it begs for rhythm and a voice.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A book of poetry with a decided ick factor. When I got to the one on lice - I seriously cringed. Each poem is written by a different poet. Well done in both illustrations & poetry. A must have for National Poetry Month.
Great Books
Families will find this collection of poems about some of nature's least desirable critters very delightful. Clever language and bold, bright illustrations will bring smiles, and may even cause some itching! Reviewer 11.
Jeanne
Yuck! Not sure entomologists would appreciate the tone of this book. Bunch of poems inform the reader about bugs. Not the best poetry, but probably entertaining to the intended audience. Viciously cute illustrations.
Wendy Garland
Poetry about even the smallest, most obnoxious creatures abounds - ticks, lice, mosquitoes, etc. Fantastic, colorful illustrations make this one very appealing.
Patty
I enjoyed the humorous poems however the scientific information
in the back of the book make it much more.
Ratforcekids
Nasty bugs is chock full of poems featuring creepy, crawly bugs and illustrated with plenty of ickiness.
Kate Hastings
Grades 2-5. Fun poems about bugs, great for use in classrooms studying bugs and for poetry month.
Greta
Will Terry's illustrations are so fitting for this book of bug poetry. Great book!
Carol
The vibrant illustrations by Will Terry make this collection of bug poems pop.
Colby Sharp
I think Nasty Bugs has a real shot to win a Nerdy Book Club poetry award.
Alice
Cute informative poems by a nice selection of poets.
Marge
Jul 31, 2012 Marge added it
Shelves: poetry
giant water bugs, cockroachs, tick-tock tick, etc.
Edward Sullivan
Fun collection of verse about creepy crawlies.
Bridget R. Wilson
Gross! Boys will love this collection.
Allison
Eh. . .it didn't do anything for me.
Paula
Ewwwww-lots of fun!
Melissa Bittenbender
Melissa Bittenbender marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I Am the Book Amazing Faces City I Love Sharing the Seasons: A Book of Poems Oh, No! Where Are My Pants? and Other Disasters: Poems