Women Explorers

Women Explorers

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Meet ten inspiring women whose passions for exploration made them push the boundaries

Though most people have heard of explorers like Henry Hudson and Christopher Columbus, few have heard names like Nellie Cashman and Annie Smith Peck. Unfortunately, most of the brave women explorers have never made it into history books because they lived in times when it was taboo for wo...more
48 pages
Published February 16th 2012 by Dial

Rachel
What person comes to mind when you think of world famous explorers? Ernest Shackleton? Christopher Columbus? Jacques Cartier? How many of you actually thought of a woman when considering famous world explorers? My guess is that all but a small percentage of us would have named a man. But that is not because there were no female explorers, and with her book of the same name, Julie Cummins is working to bring these brave Women Explorers into our collective consciousness.

In her companion book toWom...more
Emily
Ms. Cummins briefly profiles ten amazing women you've probably never heard mentioned - I know I hadn't. Straightforwardly in the introduction, Ms. Cummins addresses this lack of visibility as "a sign of their times...The following ten women were born before 1900, at a time when proper ladies simply did not go gallivanting around the world to explore new territories or undiscovered places." However, because these women were brave enough to defy cultural norms and gender stereotypes, they were abl...more
Heidi
I found it rather telling that I had never heard of any of these women before reading this book. As the author points out in the introduction:

Why haven't we heard their names? The answer is: It's a sign of their times. The daring men who ventured into the great unknown are celebrated, but the many intrepid and brave women who faced the same kinds of challenges were saddled with gender barriers, societal disapproval, and second-class status: Females belonged at home!

I appreciate the author takin...more
Kim Hunt
Cummins, J., & Harness, C. l. (2012). Women explorers: perils, pistols, and petticoats. Dial Books.
Professional Review: Whitehurst, L. (2012). Women Explorers: Perils, Pistols, and Petticoats. School Library Journal, 58(3), 182.
Reference Type: Biography

Call Number: 910.92

Content Scope: For grades 3 through 6, this biography is about 10 women from around the world born before 1900 who contributed to science, geography, history, and cultural understanding when ladies where proper ladies did...more
Amy
This was awesome! I had never heard of any these women before reading this book and that's what I loved about it! This book showcases adventurous, fearless women and would be a great for 4th-8th grade girls and could be a stepping off point for a biography research paper.
Sharon Lawler
Profiles ten women explorers who overcame society's restictions concerning women as the proved they were just as adventurous as their better known male counterparts. The late 19th century and early 20th century has our heroines in all corners of the Earth, whether it be advocating for the the Aborigines (Daisy Bates), exploring the desert countries of the Middle East (Freya Stark), or climbing 22, 205 feet to the top of Mount Huascaran in Peru (Annie Smith Peck). Illustrations on every page, and...more
Karen Arendt
This book provides information on 10 women explorers born before 1900. Each chapter features one explorer, pointing out their background, where they explored, and difficulties faced on expeditions. Each chapter is only 2-3 pages. Informative and full of wow factor, this book would be just plain fun and interesting to read, but will also be good for nonfiction common core.
Andreia
This is exactly the type of book I enjoyed using when we homeschooled. It introduced people who weren't covered in textbooks and provide many people, places and things to do further study of. I enjoyed it. It was just the right length without being tedious.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I really enjoyed reading this book about 10 women explorers who lived at the end of the 19th century into the early 20th century. I hope children who read it will be motivated to explorer further information about these truly amazing women.
Kelly

Great content! I am not crazy about the illustrations and I wonder how culturally accurate they are, especially when one of the Aborigines playing the didgeridoo looks like he's eating a sausage.
Edward Sullivan
Great collection of profiles of ten little-known intrepid female adventurers. Attractively designed and good illustrations by Cheryl Harness.
Harla
Loved this book. Very informative and readable for school age and up. I plan to share this one during school visits.
Melissa Mcavoy
Melissa Mcavoy marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Ashley Nichols
Ashley Nichols marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
J. Rose
J. Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Barbara Poore
Barbara Poore marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Court
Court marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Brigitte
Brigitte marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Julie Cummins has milked cows and climbed silos, ridden subways and lived in a high-rise. She currently lives in New York City, where she has a spectacular view of the Empire State Building, and vacations in the country, where she enjoys the lake views.
More about Julie Cummins...
Flying Solo: How Ruth Elder Soared into America's Heart The Inside-Outside Book of Libraries Women Daredevils Country Kid, City Kid Sam Patch: Daredevil Jumper