Start by marking “The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere, #3)

The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere #3)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  63 reviews
In Olive's third adventure, what lurks below the house could be as dangerous as what's hidden inside . . .

Some terrifying things have happened to Olive in the old stone house, but none as scary as starting junior high. Or so she thinks. When she plummets through a hole in her backyard, though, she realizes two things that may change her mind: First, the wicked Annabelle Mc
Published July 5th 2012 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about The Second Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Spy

Brett
This is one of those series that gathers steam as it goes, starting out interesting enough, but developing more "oomph" with each entry. This was definitely my favorite one so far. In addition to getting better, the series is also getting definitely creepier, in a pleasant, spine-tingling, look-under-your-bed sort of way (fun, but not too definitely scary to its target age).
Olive Dunwoody is still living in a large, forbidding stone house built by an evil painter/magician that is obviously tryin
Cecilia
WOW can West write a cliff hanger! These books are so awesome, so well written, it doesn't matter they were written for people almost half my age. I need book 4 now!
Erin
Oct 01, 2012 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Percy Jackson, early years of Harry Potter
3.5 stars.

We join Olive as she steps into the harrowing halls of junior high, and I would be fine if we hadn't. Part of the magic of these books was the charming seclusion from the rest of the modern world, so it was jarring to read about a girl Olive's age wearing eyeliner. (Really, I have no idea why this particular detail threw me off.) I don't think these books can transition successfully into teenager-land (like, say, the Harry Potter series), but I'm willing to suspend judgment until at le
Karla
I struggled with this book so much. I wanted to enjoy it and I had been looking forward to reading it, but it felt like crawling instead of a fun brisk walk. I skimmed a lot. It picked up towards the end, which I did enjoy. I am hoping the fourth book will have some neat stuff in it now that we know a few more things.
Haley Cabrera
Another fantastic book in this series. This one has even more magic, mystery and action than the previous books. It also keeps getting better and better. Though I didn't like how our main character changed and tried to do something she was clearly warned against. But I guess that happens with kids/teenagers.

The cats were there again too, and funny. I loved the cat that always changed its personalities.

As soon as I finished this book I immediately bought the next one. I finished both these books
Lanie Sanders
Another grand addition to a wonderful children's urban fantasy series. wonderful characters, great writing and just the proper amount of spookiness makes for some great fun.

But, sadly, I must knock off one star for the couple of things I found annoying with the 3rd addition to the "Books of Elsewhere" series "The Second Spy."

My two smaller problems here are Olive's reaction to Rutherford's big secret at the end of the book, and olive's parents. I really don't think a kid would react that well to
She's Stacked  (Jo-Anne)
Just some observations...Olive, although she doesn't realise it (nor does the reader), is a typical only child - expecting her own way, never listening to the word "no", ni understanding of patience and prone to petulance and self-pity. That said, she is a good person. She does not act out of malice but a misguided sense of good. She doesn't want to hurt anyone but can get muddled in the details, often muddied by all her issues from being the daughter of brilliant and very structured parents.

Thi
Jessica Harrison
Read full review and author interview at Cracking the Cover

Author Jacqueline West knows how to set a scene. As soon as you open her books, you are transported to a vivid world of mystery and suspense that feels both familiar and foreign at the same time. Not only does the McMartin mansion come to life, but so to does the world of Elsewhere. There’s great use of imagery that pushes the story forward in an unobtrusive, yet very necessary way.

As Olive has matured, so has Jacqueline. “The Second Spy
Brenda
Jul 21, 2012 Brenda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat lovers, fantasy enthusiasts, those who appreciate good children's books
Shelves: fantasy
The Second Spy, the third novel in The Books of Elsewhere series features Olive once again determined to help free her friend Morton from the painting he is trapped in while at the same time trying to stay out of harms way from the former owner of her home. I love the way Jacqueline West writes and have a special fondness of her main character Olive. I love that Olive has branched out from home to include scenes at junior high and can see this expanding in the next book. Olives relationship with ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
The Books of Elsewhere Book 3: The Second Spy
Age Range: 10 and up
Grade Level: 5 and up
Series: The Books of Elsewhere (Book 3)
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Dial (July 5, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0803736894
ISBN-13: 978-0803736894
This review was originally posted on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

The Books of Elsewhere by Jacqueline West combines the portal world hoping of an Alice in Wonderland with the popular writing style of Lemony Snicket. The Second Spy is an excell
Elevetha
3.5 stars.

Really good. So imaginative and original. I'd forgotten how much I loved this series.

Olive is a lovely main character with nothing to make me want to throttle/slap her.

Morton is adorable and just makes me want to hug him and make his life better.

Harvey/Captain Blackpaw/Agent 1-800/Sir Lancelot/that other personality I can't remember right now is the best. I. WANT. HIM.

Rutherford. I'm warming up to him. (view spoiler)

Horatio. I was so conce
Jasmine Rose
The Second Spy was sadly not as good as I'd hoped it would be. I loved the first two books in the Books of Elsewhere series, but this one just didn't quite work for me.

It's certainly possible that my mood colored my judgement. I thought I was in the mood for a middle grade, but I found it difficult to connect with Olive and her troubles. I found myself getting really annoyed when Olive continued to hold onto her anger about Rutherford moving. I can see why she felt that way, but it annoyed me no
Myla Maccloskey
I was very excited about reading this book because I had really enjoyed the other two before and I absolutely fell in love with all the characters but this book really didn't do it for me!! I found this book the book that really put me off reading the next one! so I stopped reading the series even though I had every single book!!
Amy
The 3rd book in the Elsewhere series. I had a hard time getting into this because it has been a while since I read the second one and this was the first that I read (I listened to the first two), but once things got rolling, I couldn't put it down! Another fun tale of Olive and her pals, and I look forward to the remaining two books in the series.
Crys (The Hodgenator)
This is my favorite in the series so far.

In the third installment of West’s tale, Olive is starting middle school. If that’s not scary enough, strange occurrences are happening not only in her home but also in her art class. She’s dealing with unexplained notes, missing items, and a betrayer in her midst.

The plot of this novel is well-developed and nicely paced. The mystery unfolds at all the right spots, building suspense and then popping the suspense bubble. Who is leaving Olive letters in her
Mindy
Dec 19, 2014 Mindy added it
This was the best book ever! This is an amazing book she executed this very nicely and I'm 11 and its 8:30 and my aunt and I are on the way to B&N to pick up number four! You should not read this if you aren't up for adventure and mild nightmares (JK!!)
Katie Whittemore
Paulina
This spooky mysteries series will always leave You hanging. From climbing into paintings to Having 3 talking cats. Amazing series!
Gabrielle
I liked this book enough to purchase and read the entire book on my phone. I hate reading on my phone so this is high praise indeed.
Shannon
This series just keeps getting better. I almost lost faith after the second book, but this one is excellent.
Spring Casterlow
I love this series!!

My children and I have listened to this series every summer driving to b north Carolina. At the edge of your seat!!
Mehsi

I really can't wait to read on further. Gah so frustrating that it takes so long for the paperb
Robyn
I read the first 60%, then put the book down for about 6 months. It's a danger when reading kids books (as opposed to YA) that what is hidden from young readers is sometimes painfully obvious to adults. In this case the fact that Horatio was not himself. Also Olive's reaction to the idea of Rutherford leaving, it all just made me less fond of Olive and I had a hard time continuing. Still a good book and part of a good series, though.
Chloe V.
It takes place in a scary old stone house, where painted people and other creatures can come to life and stalk the halls. In one frightening face-off, witch Aldous McMartin traps Olive in a pit inside of painting, where she herself will soon turn to paint In this third book, Olive continues to make mistakes, but this time around her heart's really in the right place. The Elsewhere series is a mystery and fantasy series.
Lauren
It's been awhile when since I've read the other books, but it feels like I've fallen in love with them all over again. It begins with olive dreading to go to junior high, and it seems that one of the teachers have a small connection to the McMartian family. All the mystery, action, and description all rolled up in one is what makes this a pretty good book.
Miss Clark

Third in the series by MN authoress. Really enjoyed it. Olive is growing and changing as the books go. All the cats, but esp. Horatio, have a role. Aldous himself (in an earlier incarnation) makes an appearance and the old man may indeed soon be back.

The revelation about Rutherford and his ability was well-timed.

Bring on book four!
Kylie
This is a wonderful continuation of the series. As usual, I loved the cats, loved the plot, and loved the intrigue. Keep 'em coming Jacqueline West!
Christi
I really like this bumbling heroine and her parents.
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • The Pirate's Coin: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #3)
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)
  • Bite-Sized Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #3)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Circle of Heroes (The Familiars, #3)
  • The Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • Alien on a Rampage
  • The Prince Who Fell from the Sky
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • The Classroom
  • Castle of Shadows (Castle of Shadows, #1)
  • Behind the Bookcase
  • Partners in Crime (Sleuth or Dare, #1)
  • Ghost Knight
The Shadows (The Books of Elsewhere, #1) Spellbound (The Books of Elsewhere, #2) The Strangers (The Books of Elsewhere, #4) Still Life (The Books of Elsewhere, #5) Cherma (Parallel Press Chapbook Series)

“It's been my experience that those people who seem the most 'normal' are in fact the most dangerous.” 7 likes