Start by marking “The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere, #3)

The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere #3)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  1,278 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
In Olive's third adventure, what lurks below the house could be as dangerous as what's hidden inside . . .

Some terrifying things have happened to Olive in the old stone house, but none as scary as starting junior high. Or so she thinks. When she plummets through a hole in her backyard, though, she realizes two things that may change her mind: First, the wicked Annabelle Mc
Published July 5th 2012 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about The Second Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Spy

Sue Moro
Nov 28, 2015 Sue Moro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Book three was my favorite in the series so far! This series gets better and better with each book. I've already downloaded and begun listening to book four.
Brett
Oct 19, 2012 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
This is one of those series that gathers steam as it goes, starting out interesting enough, but developing more "oomph" with each entry. This was definitely my favorite one so far. In addition to getting better, the series is also getting definitely creepier, in a pleasant, spine-tingling, look-under-your-bed sort of way (fun, but not too definitely scary to its target age).
Olive Dunwoody is still living in a large, forbidding stone house built by an evil painter/magician that is obviously tryin
Cecilia
Aug 01, 2012 Cecilia rated it it was amazing
WOW can West write a cliff hanger! These books are so awesome, so well written, it doesn't matter they were written for people almost half my age. I need book 4 now!
Erin
Oct 01, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Percy Jackson, early years of Harry Potter
3.5 stars.

We join Olive as she steps into the harrowing halls of junior high, and I would be fine if we hadn't. Part of the magic of these books was the charming seclusion from the rest of the modern world, so it was jarring to read about a girl Olive's age wearing eyeliner. (Really, I have no idea why this particular detail threw me off.) I don't think these books can transition successfully into teenager-land (like, say, the Harry Potter series), but I'm willing to suspend judgment until at le
Lanie
One of my favorite middle grade series! :) & my first book read in 2016! :)

I absolutely love "the books of elsewhere". These are a perfect choice for fans of "Alice in wonderland." And "Coraline" I'd definitely give this series to a young reluctant reader.

The writing style is beautiful & I absolutely love the characters. Olive is a great main character, the cats are hilarious, the art teacher is great, & Morton is such a cute little boy. But my favorite is ruthford. He's so wonderf
Susan
Jul 08, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: slmta
I had problems with this book because of the cats and the simple story line.
Odd things are happening at the old Victorian house where Olive lives. Olive and her friend, Morton, discover that the evil (and dead) Annabelle McMartin can create havoc outside the house, too.
Martin is the only one who know the secret—and her only friend in junior high. Once again filled with talking cats, paintings that come alive, and nefarious goings-on, this light fantasy/mystery will be a go book for reluctant re
Karla
Sep 10, 2012 Karla rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I struggled with this book so much. I wanted to enjoy it and I had been looking forward to reading it, but it felt like crawling instead of a fun brisk walk. I skimmed a lot. It picked up towards the end, which I did enjoy. I am hoping the fourth book will have some neat stuff in it now that we know a few more things.
Morgan
Oct 11, 2016 Morgan rated it it was amazing
The Second Spy is action packed and suspenseful. It constantly makes you wonder about the characters, and what they should do or who they really are. When a character starts acting weird, you start getting suspicious, and you want to read more. Each of the characters gives off their own, unique vibe. Character developing is crucial in writing a story, and Jacqueline West does this very well. The story is also well developed too. I always knew what the story was about, and I was never confused on ...more
She's Stacked  (Jo-Anne)
Just some observations...Olive, although she doesn't realise it (nor does the reader), is a typical only child - expecting her own way, never listening to the word "no", ni understanding of patience and prone to petulance and self-pity. That said, she is a good person. She does not act out of malice but a misguided sense of good. She doesn't want to hurt anyone but can get muddled in the details, often muddied by all her issues from being the daughter of brilliant and very structured parents.

Thi
Jessica Harrison
Sep 22, 2012 Jessica Harrison rated it it was amazing
Read full review and author interview at Cracking the Cover

Author Jacqueline West knows how to set a scene. As soon as you open her books, you are transported to a vivid world of mystery and suspense that feels both familiar and foreign at the same time. Not only does the McMartin mansion come to life, but so to does the world of Elsewhere. There’s great use of imagery that pushes the story forward in an unobtrusive, yet very necessary way.

As Olive has matured, so has Jacqueline. “The Second Spy
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Feb 14, 2014 Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
The Books of Elsewhere Book 3: The Second Spy
Age Range: 10 and up
Grade Level: 5 and up
Series: The Books of Elsewhere (Book 3)
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Dial (July 5, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0803736894
ISBN-13: 978-0803736894
This review was originally posted on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

The Books of Elsewhere by Jacqueline West combines the portal world hoping of an Alice in Wonderland with the popular writing style of Lemony Snicket. The Second Spy is an excell
Brenda
Jul 21, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cat lovers, fantasy enthusiasts, those who appreciate good children's books
Shelves: fantasy
The Second Spy, the third novel in The Books of Elsewhere series features Olive once again determined to help free her friend Morton from the painting he is trapped in while at the same time trying to stay out of harms way from the former owner of her home. I love the way Jacqueline West writes and have a special fondness of her main character Olive. I love that Olive has branched out from home to include scenes at junior high and can see this expanding in the next book. Olives relationship with ...more
Elevetha
3.5 stars.

Really good. So imaginative and original. I'd forgotten how much I loved this series.

Olive is a lovely main character with nothing to make me want to throttle/slap her.

Morton is adorable and just makes me want to hug him and make his life better.

Harvey/Captain Blackpaw/Agent 1-800/Sir Lancelot/that other personality I can't remember right now is the best. I. WANT. HIM.

Rutherford. I'm warming up to him. (view spoiler)

Horatio. I was so conce
Starspeck
Jun 23, 2016 Starspeck rated it did not like it
The extremely slow one where almost nothing new happens and plot points are repeated.

(view spoiler)
Jasmine Rose
The Second Spy was sadly not as good as I'd hoped it would be. I loved the first two books in the Books of Elsewhere series, but this one just didn't quite work for me.

It's certainly possible that my mood colored my judgement. I thought I was in the mood for a middle grade, but I found it difficult to connect with Olive and her troubles. I found myself getting really annoyed when Olive continued to hold onto her anger about Rutherford moving. I can see why she felt that way, but it annoyed me no
Crys (The Hodgenator)
This is my favorite in the series so far.

In the third installment of West’s tale, Olive is starting middle school. If that’s not scary enough, strange occurrences are happening not only in her home but also in her art class. She’s dealing with unexplained notes, missing items, and a betrayer in her midst.

The plot of this novel is well-developed and nicely paced. The mystery unfolds at all the right spots, building suspense and then popping the suspense bubble. Who is leaving Olive letters in her
Jessi
Feb 17, 2016 Jessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Another great installment in the Elsewhere series! Olive is as clueless as ever lol, honestly you'd think that she'd learn from her mistakes by now. Oh well I guess that's where our favorite feline trio Horatio, Leopold and Harvey step in... I think they're the heart of the story! Rutherford is another character that makes the story a joy to read, he's so funny and eccentric and a really good friend to Olive. Even though they are minor characters, I also liked reading the scenes with Olive's ...more
Julia
Sep 25, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I love these books! If you're looking for a series that takes you back to the times of simple yet suspensful plots, and a storyline not ruined by romance- these are the books!

In this third entry to the Books of Elsewhere, young Olive is just starting juniour high. With the monstrous Annabelle on the loose, Olive's living in a state of constant paranoia. So, when her new, eccentric art teacher starts taking an interest in Olive's house, Horatio, one of the house's anceint talking cats, starts act
Haley Cabrera
Feb 07, 2014 Haley Cabrera rated it really liked it
Another fantastic book in this series. This one has even more magic, mystery and action than the previous books. It also keeps getting better and better. Though I didn't like how our main character changed and tried to do something she was clearly warned against. But I guess that happens with kids/teenagers.

The cats were there again too, and funny. I loved the cat that always changed its personalities.

As soon as I finished this book I immediately bought the next one. I finished both these books
Mehsi

I really can't wait to read on further. Gah so frustrating that it takes so long for the paperb
Aria Maher
Aug 27, 2016 Aria Maher rated it really liked it
I am greatly enjoy these books, and I can't wait to read the next one. However, it seems like in this book Olive is either really, really, really insanely and ridiculously stubborn/stupid or she just hasn't learned anything in the last two books! She should know by now that she really shouldn't mess with any stuff belonging to the McMartins, or bad things will happen. However, both the writing and the characterization in these books are really good, so I'll give it four stars. Not quite as good ...more
Robyn
Apr 09, 2013 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-or-ya, kindle
I read the first 60%, then put the book down for about 6 months. It's a danger when reading kids books (as opposed to YA) that what is hidden from young readers is sometimes painfully obvious to adults. In this case the fact that Horatio was not himself. Also Olive's reaction to the idea of Rutherford leaving, it all just made me less fond of Olive and I had a hard time continuing. Still a good book and part of a good series, though.
Naomi Campbell
Jun 10, 2016 Naomi Campbell rated it liked it
We are so glad there are five of these Books of Elsewhere, or there soon will be. The stories really are very interesting, and the main character Olive is a serious little gal. And her parents crack me up! You really can't figure out what's going to happen until you keep reading. There's not a lot of guessing games you win with Jacqueline West so far in Elsewhere, but she makes it all tie together and add up nicely. Ha! Add up! Her parents would like that!
Chloe V.
Apr 16, 2015 Chloe V. rated it it was amazing
It takes place in a scary old stone house, where painted people and other creatures can come to life and stalk the halls. In one frightening face-off, witch Aldous McMartin traps Olive in a pit inside of painting, where she herself will soon turn to paint In this third book, Olive continues to make mistakes, but this time around her heart's really in the right place. The Elsewhere series is a mystery and fantasy series.
NatalieXAxel948
Apr 30, 2015 NatalieXAxel948 rated it really liked it
Personaly this book is the second best book in the series. This book is more than a story, its a true masterpiece of art. The ideas in this one is awsome, just how quickly it had made a big impact on the story. All though its a great its a great story, all books have a failed up ingredient mixed in. Olive was just too curious about what she should do, honestly it would have been that Olive would be more to her surroundings and such. Still this book is pretty good. 4.5 out of 5.
Amy
Jul 31, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
The 3rd book in the Elsewhere series. I had a hard time getting into this because it has been a while since I read the second one and this was the first that I read (I listened to the first two), but once things got rolling, I couldn't put it down! Another fun tale of Olive and her pals, and I look forward to the remaining two books in the series.
Myla Maccloskey
Aug 22, 2014 Myla Maccloskey rated it liked it
I was very excited about reading this book because I had really enjoyed the other two before and I absolutely fell in love with all the characters but this book really didn't do it for me!! I found this book the book that really put me off reading the next one! so I stopped reading the series even though I had every single book!!
Miss Clark

Third in the series by MN authoress. Really enjoyed it. Olive is growing and changing as the books go. All the cats, but esp. Horatio, have a role. Aldous himself (in an earlier incarnation) makes an appearance and the old man may indeed soon be back.

The revelation about Rutherford and his ability was well-timed.

Bring on book four!
Lauren
Mar 21, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
It's been awhile when since I've read the other books, but it feels like I've fallen in love with them all over again. It begins with olive dreading to go to junior high, and it seems that one of the teachers have a small connection to the McMartian family. All the mystery, action, and description all rolled up in one is what makes this a pretty good book.
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Tom Thumb
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • The Pirate's Coin (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #3)
  • Circle of Heroes (The Familiars, #3)
  • The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)
  • The Witch's Buttons
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure (Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms #2)
  • The Tasters Guild (Poisons of Caux, #2)
  • Searching for Super
  • Bite-Sized Magic (The Bliss Bakery, #3)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Partners in Crime (Sleuth or Dare, #1)
  • The Jewel of the Kalderash (The Kronos Chronicles, #3)
  • The Wig in the Window (Young and Yang, #1)
  • Gustav Gloom and the People Taker (Gustav Gloom, #1)
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • Jinx's Fire (Jinx #3)

The Books of Elsewhere (5 books)
  • The Shadows (The Books of Elsewhere, #1)
  • Spellbound (The Books of Elsewhere, #2)
  • The Strangers (The Books of Elsewhere, #4)
  • Still Life (The Books of Elsewhere, #5)

“It's been my experience that those people who seem the most 'normal' are in fact the most dangerous.” 9 likes
“She had other friends--friends that wouldn't leave her. She had the cats.” 4 likes