Start by marking “Llama Llama Nighty-Night” as Want to Read:
Llama Llama Nighty-Night

Llama Llama Nighty-Night (Llama Llama)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,694 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
What's the best part of bedtime? Stories with Mama! Before cuddling, Llama Llama must splish and splash in the tub, then put his red pajamas on.

Dewdney's catchy rhymes, effortless rhythm, and adorable artwork can now be enjoyed by even younger audiences. Toddlers will love this pair of perfect read-alouds.
Board book, 12 pages
Published January 5th 2012 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Llama Llama Nighty-Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Llama Llama Nighty-Night

midnightfaerie
Jun 22, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Too simple to keep my 5-yr-old and too short for my preschoolers. They paid attention fairly well, but only because they were interested in the activities that the llama was doing, and they could relate. There was no particular joy or interest on the part of the story and frankly, it was like every other board book we own. Nothing original here.
EJ
Dec 15, 2014 EJ rated it really liked it
Just the right length, and a subtle nod to itself and it's silly ryhmes.
Sara
Jan 11, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
All the cute charm of the Llama Llama books, but nice and short for little attention spans.
Nina
Jun 28, 2013 Nina rated it it was amazing
So sweet!
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Llama llama loves a nightly routine. Do you?

**Talking Points - What do you love best about your nightly routine? What would you like to add? What do you like least and wish you could eliminate?
Baby Eleanor
Jun 12, 2017 Baby Eleanor rated it it was amazing
We read this every night - simple, quick and great little overview of the nighttime routine.
Celine Hu
Nov 14, 2016 Celine Hu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: joy-s-read
I thought that llama llama would be mad but she didn't.
Jeanne
Jun 07, 2012 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Great starter story or sister story to Llama Llama Red Pajama.

My oldest is on the ASD spectrum and is just starting to learn to read. This smaller book has been one of his favorites for practice reading sessions. He adores Llama Llama Red Pajama and that love quickly carried over to this book. The short, familiar text is easy for him to repeat with me and he has already started to take over to recite the story to me during reading sessions.

Highly recommend it for beginning readers and fans of
Katharine
Sep 18, 2012 Katharine rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, rhyming, family
"Llama Llama Nighty Night" is a short little rhyming book about a llama getting ready for bed. It's a cute little book for young children as it follows a little llama and his mom helping him get ready for bed. It shows the different things he does before getting into bed and falling asleep. I think this is a good book for children because it shows how other people and "animals" get ready for bed and may help them to want to go to bed more easily.

Learning Experience:
After reading the story aloud,
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

This simple board book takes Llama Llama through the routine of getting ready for bed with the same catchy rhymes and endearing illustrations that are used in the picture books for older children. The cardboard pages, shorter length, shorter sentences, and simpler ideas all show that Dewdney understands the younger audience as well as she can captivate kids just a little older. Llama Llama is one of my favorite modern series, so this book might get s
Margaretann
May 28, 2014 Margaretann rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ages 12 - 18 months
Decided to pick up this one at the library as we've heard great things about the Llama Llama series and I thought this might be a good one to start with.

I think the simple nature of this one made it a bit too short and boring for my kiddo. I wish we had discovered it when she was younger - perhaps around 12 to 18 months or so - when it would have captured her attention and helped to establish/reinforce her bedtime routine.
Alicia Hill
Jan 04, 2013 Alicia Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A perfect bedtime book. This book walks you through llama llama's bedtime routine from dinner to bedtime, reflecting a common routine for getting young children ready for bed. I like that it helps me with the concept of explaining to my son what comes next in his nightly routine, and he enjoys looking at the pictures of llama llama while cuddling with mommy.
Katie Parker
Jan 20, 2013 Katie Parker rated it really liked it
Love the Llama Llama series! This board book is perfect for reading about an activity that all toddlers can relate to: bedtime. Later Llama Llama books in picture book format deal with more complicated activities and feelings (separation anxiety, illness, etc.), but this simple board book with accessible, yet adorable pictorial accompaniments is perfect for my not yet two-year-old twins.
Candice Call
Jan 25, 2012 Candice Call rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Could be used to dicuss routines and compare to other routines we know of. There are other llama llama books in the series such as llama llama misses momma which would be a better fit for a school environment since some of your students may be missing their parents when they are away from them at school.
Lindsey
Apr 28, 2012 Lindsey rated it really liked it
A Llama Llama bed time book! This is the companion to Llama Llama Wakey-Wake and both are fun, with Dewdney's typical bouncing rhythm. The book tells how Llama Llama gets ready for bed each night and can be used to show young children the activities that they also do each night before sleep. As always, Llama Llama is a fun choice for quick story times.
Emily's Storytime Books
This was cute. It works for the Books & Babies program, but I definitely wouldn't use it for the 3/4/5 storytime. It lets you talk to the kids about getting ready for bed, what their routine is, etc.
Jun 24, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Rave review! Brilliant book! Amazing! My new best friend! As soon as my two year old saw Llama using the toilet, she wanted to too. When it was time for bed tonight, we followed along with Llama through his routine. And went to bed with little effort and no fuss! I'm in love. Let me add a few more exclamation points!!!!
Jane
Mar 04, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
I love these llama llama books. The rhymes are always wonderfully rhythmic. This is a little board book that is best for babies but my four year old liked it just fine. It could have done with another couple of pages but otherwise is a great choice for little ones.
Maura
Oct 17, 2013 Maura rated it really liked it
This was my daughter's Imagination Library book for October. My son immediately had my dad read it to them twice after dinner. I then read it to them again before bedtime. They both loved it! My son wanted to go to bed with it so he could look at it some more.
Sharon
Jul 17, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
My three-year-old granddaughter must "read" this book every night before she goes to bed. (She's had it read to her so many times, she has it memorized.) Then my one-year-old granddaughter has to have it read to her so that she can turn the pages.
Asho
Jul 04, 2016 Asho rated it really liked it
Perfect, simple little bedtime story for a toddler. It takes less than two minutes to read and lays out the whole bedtime routine in just a few words. My daughter really likes this one and always says "Nighty-night! The end!" in her sweet little voice.
Becca
Jan 11, 2012 Becca rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
As always, this book has cute illustrations. However, I didn't realize ahead of time that it was a boardbook. That said, the story is much simpler and therefore slightly less clever than the other books in this series.
Sarah Kelly
Mar 21, 2012 Sarah Kelly rated it it was amazing
Super Cute! Everyone family should have the Llama Llama series in their home. This "short" version of Llama Llama tales is one of my favorites! Even if your super busy it can be a great quick read to the kiddos!
Great Books
Feb 11, 2012 Great Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birth-4
This may be the perfect board book for bedtime. Sized for young hands to hold, rhymed details give a gentle sequence for getting ready for bed. Brief text effectively highlights the charming pictures. Reviewer 4
Kristin
Dec 26, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it
My son received this book for Christmas. The first time weread he insisted on everyone giving the llama kisses good night. We have had it for a day and it has quickly moved into one of his favorites. Our home loves the Llama Llama books!
Peanut
Sep 25, 2013 Peanut rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-aloud, bed-time
MOMMY: This book is easy to read and great when talking about the bedtime routine. It so very closely matches our routine that it was just perfect. I give this book a strong 4 stars.

PEANUT: He loves this book and would pick it again and again.
Brian
Dec 09, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
This is a clever yet simple book. And it's a useful book because it goes through his night time routine, which allows you to segue into a discussion with your toddler about his or her own night time routine. Plus, the llamas are stinking cute.
Jenn
Mar 09, 2013 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carolynsbooks
This is one of Carolyn's favorites! We read it almost every night and she always ALWAYS sits still and snuggles in when we open it up. It's a very cute and simple board book about getting ready for bed and perfect for a quick bedtime story.
Kirsten Mellin
Sep 24, 2014 Kirsten Mellin rated it it was amazing
This is a great simple easy to read rhyming book for young kiddos. I also think this story is a great way to teach children all about routines, getting ready for bed, and order of events. Plus, it is perfect for an easy quick cute bed time book.
Jazmin Palma
An activity that I would implement is having the children create a booklet that illustrates what they do to get ready for going to sleep. I would write down what the children dictate to me on their booklet.
  • Are You a Cow?
  • Tubby (Leslie Patricelli board books)
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug
  • My Farm Friends
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • That's Not My Dinosaur (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • 1-2-3 Peas
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Merry Christmas, Splat
  • Olivia Counts

Llama Llama (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama