Start by marking “Sophie's Fish” as Want to Read:
Sophie's Fish

Sophie's Fish

What naptime story would you read to a fish? When Sophie asks Jake to take care of her pet fish while she's on vacation, he says sure - how hard can it be to babysit a fish? But the minute he agrees, Jake starts imagining every possible fish-related crisis. What does a fish eat for dinner? How do you give him a bath? What kind of stories does he like? Pitch-perfect humor ...more
32 pages
Published March 15th 2012 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sophie's Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophie's Fish

Claire
Mar 23, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing
This book was a gift to my child from the author. Fabulous read. Art work is colorful and lively, while the story is interesting and keeps you wondering until the end. There is a bit if silliness in the story that my kids love.
Highly recommend.
Michelle Nero
Sep 02, 2012 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How hard can it be to babysit a fish? What if . . . Nah, it'll be okay, right? Perfect for writing what might happen next.

A must read and check out the illustrations closely.
S Farneth
Apr 19, 2014 S Farneth rated it really liked it
How hard can taking care of a fish be? In Sophie’s Fish, Jake finds out. After agreeing to take care of Sophie’s fish, Yo-Yo, he starts having second thoughts as he imagines all the disastrous things that could happen. We can all relate to agreeing to helping out a friend and then realizing that we really don’t want to take on this chore and don’t want to back out either.

What if plagues his mind. And to the reader, the what if’s are silly. But Jake conjures up all kinds of what if’s to the reade
Lindsay Fischer
Sep 02, 2014 Lindsay Fischer rated it liked it
This story goes into the mind of a boy named Jake who is asked to babysit his friend Sophie’s fish. He accepts, thinking, “How hard can it be to babysit a fish?” The book then transitions as his thoughts do into all the scenarios that could happen. Every hypothetical is more ridiculous than the last. He personifies the fish, wondering if the fish will care if his special blanket gets wet during story time or what he will do if the fish starts crying. When Sophie comes to drop off her fish, Jake ...more
J. Gurantz
Barbara
May 05, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Jake has second--and third--thoughts about taking care of his classmate's fish while she is away for the weekend. The more he thinks about it, the more he starts to worry about what snacks to feed the fish, what games to play, and what sorts of readalouds a fish might prefer. He imagines the worst case scenarios for the fish and begins to make up excuses for why he can't take care of Sophie's fish. But before he can beg off from his promise, Sophie shows up, and Jake has quite a surprise when he ...more
Jan 17, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Ha! I really liked this book. It was amusing...with just the right amount of bizarre and whimsy thrown in for good measure. The illustrations were fabulous; they were a blend of decoupage and drawings. Each page was a work of art. I loved the over-active imagination of Jake and his worries about taking care of a fish. I LOVED the tribute to other children's books through spectacular fish book titles - those made me laugh. The ending was quite good and made me chuckle. It kind of reminded me a ...more
JaNeal
Feb 18, 2013 JaNeal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A little boy's imagination goes wild with worry--who can't relate to the fears of a new responsibility?! The surprise ending adds just enough humor and even a bit of an edge to make this adorable book slightly complex. It's one of those books I'd love to see a Part II on! I know the author from several writer's conferences. I want to say that she is both incredibly gracious and wonderfully generous! Her talent and her kindness are a real tribute to the industry of children's lit! I would ...more
JP's
Oct 29, 2013 JP's rated it really liked it
Cute story with interesting twist at the end. Cool, artsy illustrations. I enjoyed the illustrations more than the worrying story. There's another worrying story I like better which is Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes because it seems more realistic about what kinds of things kids actually worry about whereas Sophie's fish is just plain silly. Personally, I'd give it a 3, in terms of books I enjoy reading to my daughter (who is now 4-years old), however, she asks for it almost every night and it ...more
Kerri
Apr 26, 2012 Kerri rated it really liked it
A little boy is asked to watch his friend's fish while she visits her grandmother over the weekend. He's excited at first but then gets a little worried, what do fish eat? What if the fish wants to go outside and play?

A great story for little kids who may have to babysit a pet, or want a pet of their own. Illustrations are unique, but a little grey which makes the mood a little sad. But a great book that kids will love.
Maria Burel
May 06, 2012 Maria Burel rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was almost a “so-so” pick. The plot is pretty simple and predictable. Sophie has asked her friend Jake to look after her pet fish, Yo-Yo, for a few days. Jake eagerly agrees, but then begins to imagine all sorts of worst-case scenarios. I felt pretty ho-hum about the whole story. Until I got to the last page and laughed out loud. So now? You must read it. And trust me that the end is worth it.
Sheri
Jun 02, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it
I loved this book with the what if after a little boy is asked to take care of a classmate's fish while she visits her gram. I didn't like the dark colors of the illustrations but I loved the ending and the bada bing! The little boy comes up with lots of excuses why he shouldn't do it and it won't go well and talks himself into the babysitting fish job. Cute.
Marci
Feb 28, 2015 Marci rated it it was amazing
I like to add children's books to my good reads when I find them fun and enjoyable to read. A little boy agrees to babysit a classmate's fish, after all how hard can it be? While waiting, he experiences anxiety about how to care for a fish. He finally calms down when she arrives and he is in a for a little fishy surprise ending.
Margie
May 30, 2012 Margie rated it it was amazing
Author A. E. Cannon gives readers a peek inside the active imagination of a little boy wondering if he made the right choice. Clever, humorous and detailed illustrations by Lee White tell a story of their own perfectly complimenting the narrative.
My full review is here:
Diane
Jun 29, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
"How hard can it be to babysit a fish?"

Jake agrees to watch Sophie's fish, but then has all kinds of second thoughts about what might happen. What snacks do fish eat? What kind of games do they play? But when Sophie arrives at the door, all of Jake's fears are allayed? Or are they?
Pamela
I love Jake's musings about how it will be to babysit his friend's fish for the weekend. Don't we all sometimes make mountains out of molehills? And then the humorous last page makes him double guess his double guessing. Wonderful. Kids loved hearing that the book's author lives in SLC.
Jaimee Huskins
Nov 12, 2014 Jaimee Huskins rated it liked it
This is a cute story about a little boy fish-sitting. It is a very imaginative and totally something a little boy could think of if they were nervous about fish-sitting. The pictures are in a not so bright colors but are colorful. Very well written and clever story.
Jessica
Jun 07, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A classmate asks Jake to fish sit for the weekend. After going through every possible doomsday scenario and settling down, Jake gets a little surprise at the end. Will be met with choruses of "read it again!"
Marianne (Mia) Emery
Jun 13, 2012 Marianne (Mia) Emery rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Sophie asks her friend, Jake, to take care of her fish over the weekend. Jake wonders what to feed the fish, how to bathe the fish, what bedtime stories a fish would like? He worries and worries about his skills as a caregiver in this silly and entertaining story.
Great Books
Mar 15, 2012 Great Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
How hard can it be to babysit a fish? Jake imagines all the problems of caring for friend, Sophie's pet fish until she arrives and sweetly expresses her appreciation. Fishy details in the illustrations and humor combine for a whale of a story. Reviewer 17
Peacegal
Apr 30, 2012 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
Sophie's Fish is everything you wish for in a children's book--great illustrations, an inventive and very clever storyline, and a laugh-out-loud surprise ending. This is one both youngsters and adults will adore.
Sarah Souther
Feb 11, 2013 Sarah Souther rated it really liked it
Worrywart Jake is asked by classmate Sophie to babysit her fish while she's away. His imagination runs wild with all the problems he could run into. White's watercolor and collage illustrations are fantastical and silly and a teeny bit dark. Gr. K-2.
Donalyn
When Sophie asks Jake to watch her fish, Yo-Yo for the weekend, Jake worries that he doesn't know how to take care of a fish. Lee White's whimsical illustrations contain hidden fish facts and patterns while capturing Jake's growing hysteria.
Christine Turner
Dec 29, 2012 Christine Turner rated it liked it
Jake starts to worry about everything that could go wrong when he agrees to take care of his friend Sophie's fish for the weekend.

Subjects

Worry -- Juvenile fiction.

Fishes -- Juvenile fiction.

Humorous stories

Shelli
May 10, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Jake's classmate Sophie is going to her Grandmothers house for the weekend and needs someone to fish-sit. The anxiety of all the work and care potentially needed in caring for this fish is consuming Jake's every thought. Very funny book; a great read aloud.
Alice
Dec 26, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
I just met the author of this book. What an amazing experience!! Even though I met the author, I want to be unbiased about the book. I think the story is fun and interesting the artwork is interesting with layers...and good way to talk about pet responsibilities.. Over a really good book!
Nan
Sep 05, 2013 Nan rated it really liked it
How bad can it be to babysit a fish? A boy agrees to do it, but then has second thoughts because he's afraid he won't do it well. When Sophie comes to drop off her fish, he figures it can't be that hard...
Amy
Apr 18, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny a little boys anxiety about taking care of his friends fish spirals out of control until he sees the fish... was he wrong to be so worried?
Katie Casey
Jan 25, 2014 Katie Casey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Super cute book with a fun twist. Little boy is nervous about fish-sitting for his friend Sophie, and wonders how hard taking care of a fish can be.
Gary
Jul 14, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytelling
Cute book. Had the kids guessing throughout. What do fish like to eat? What kind of games do fish like to play? I liked the surprise at the end!
  • The Perfect Present
  • Wumbers
  • Another Brother
  • Charley's First Night
  • Big Mean Mike
My name is Ann Edwards ("A. E.") Cannon, and I write books for young readers, as well as a weekly column for the Deseret News. I also teach creative writing and work as a bookseller at the famous King's English Bookshop in Salt Lake City. My husband, Ken, and I have five (count 'em) sons, two daughters-in-law, no grandchildren (not yet, anyway) two parakeets, one parrot, two cats, and two dogs. ...more
More about Ann Edwards Cannon...