Start by marking “Stay Close” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  29,736 Ratings  ·  1,866 Reviews
Megan is a suburban soccer mom who once upon a time walked on the wild side. Now she’s got two kids, a perfect husband, a picket fence, and a growing sense of dissatisfaction. Ray used to be a talented documentary photographer, but at age forty he finds himself in a dead-end job posing as a paparazzo pandering to celebrity-obsessed rich kids. Jack is a detective who can’t ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 387 pages
Published March 20th 2012 by Dutton (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stay Close, please sign up.

Jane Lee My favorite was the first Myron. I knew this guy could write. Although I am a little behind I plan to read everyone. Tell No One blew me away. If you…moreMy favorite was the first Myron. I knew this guy could write. Although I am a little behind I plan to read everyone. Tell No One blew me away. If you have seen the French movie did you spot Harlan?(less)
Can't Wait Books of 2012
421st out of 2,455 books — 15,881 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingSpellbound in His Arms by Angel SeferDone With Men by Shuchi Singh Kalra
What book should I read next?
37th out of 328 books — 367 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne
Mr C at his good, but not best. Still enjoyable though. There were some funny one liners which I did not note down as this was an audio read. This still is not the best format for me, very easily distracted. I found it was not as exciting as many of his others, the ending waned and I was losing interest.

Quite a generic tale of lies, deceit and a missing person or two. Megan has fled from a dangerous scenario and we witness the nearly 20 year finale to the unfolding of the sordid tale.

Loved the
James Thane
Aug 18, 2013 James Thane rated it liked it
I first tumbled to Harlan Coben very early in his career when a friend recommended the first or second book in his Myron Bolitar series. I enjoyed the Bolitar books and found Myron to be an unusual but engaging protagonist who almost always found himself in the midst of an interesting plot.

After writing a number of these books, Coben began writing stand-alone thrillers, and I followed dutifully along. Some of these books I liked a lot; others I thought did not work as well, usually because the
Elaine
Nov 08, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it
I don’t think that I have read a Harlen Coben before, although I may be wrong, but I am going to make an effort to read more of him, not because I particularly enjoyed this one, I didn’t, but I have a sneaking suspicion this is not him at his best.

The story line itself is not bad at all. Three people all with a hidden past. Megan is the typical suburban mum but used to be a stripper. Ray used to be a respected photographer but is now reduced to posing as a paparazzi for celebrity experience part
Snudson
Mar 28, 2012 Snudson rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this book when compared to many of his past books, which I have greatly enjoyed. It felt as if the book had been rushed and put together quickly. I did not feel it had the depth and strong plot as I would expect from this author.
Suzyn
Apr 16, 2012 Suzyn rated it did not like it
The worst crime novel I've read in years, and I've read a great many.

First off, the writing is so incredibly cornball that I had a minor following on twitter just tweeting the worst examples of it and making fun of them.*

Secondly, If you think you know who did it like 1/4 of the way in, you're right but the author adds an extra cup of cheesy pathos to the motive that undermines the only thing that was even mildly interesting about the killer.

Thirdly, the characters are flat and somewhat silly
Andrew Montooth
May 29, 2012 Andrew Montooth rated it really liked it
According to his website, Harlan Coben has 50 million books in print worldwide, making him the most underappreciated author of our time. If readers truly appreciated the man, he’d have four or five times that many books in print. Until now I was one of those who did not appreciate him. My wife recommended his books to me several times over the years. So did a friend of mine. For one reason or another, I never read one until just now. I’m a convert. I get why he does so well despite having half o ...more
Bill Garrison
Sep 05, 2012 Bill Garrison rated it liked it
Has Coben Formula Gone Stale? I think it has. This book is still enjoyable, but all too familiar.

I fell in love with Harlan Coben after reading NO SECOND CHANCE, GONE FOR GOOD, and THE INNOCENT in the span of a couple of weeks. I loved his characters, his originality, his plot twists, his humor, his villains. Basically, I couldn't get enough of Coben. I still enjoy his novels, still make them a priority, but his latest, STAY CLOSE, seems a little stale. He's gone to the well once too often. The
Amy Lignor
Feb 19, 2012 Amy Lignor rated it it was amazing
Not a surprise to lead off a review by saying this author has done it once again. A truly fascinating tale of suspense that delves into the lives of three people who thought they knew what they wanted. Alas, they just can’t quite seem to find a way to forget the incredibly dark past they’ve left behind.

Ray Levine was once a talented documentary photographer, but upon reaching middle-age he finds himself at a job posing as a paparazzo, chasing celebrity parents and kids around, taking pictures fo
Donna
Mar 27, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok
Shelves: criminal-mystery
I like Harlan Coben's novels, having read nearly all of them. But Stay Close was one of the worst of his books, along the same line as those two earlier novels that he reissued after making it big. I even turned back to the first few pages to see if it was an earlier effort of his, but no, I am sorry to say, he wrote this book after all those other wonderful novels he is known for. Could have fooled me.

Stay Close is about three people who are haunted by the past, both desiring and fearing elemen
Gill Chedgey
May 07, 2012 Gill Chedgey rated it it was amazing
Stay Close

As a keen reader of crime and thriller fiction you’d think a new Harlan Coben, and a hardback at that, to read and review would make me think it was my birthday, wouldn’t you? Tell the truth I was indifferent! I’ve only read one of his books previously and I found the twists and turns of the plot very clever but too complicated to make it a satisfying read. It didn’t resonate with me at all.
I’m delighted to say that I simply couldn’t put this book down. I loved it.
I never see the poin
Chance Maree

Not having read many crime novels, I cannot comment on Stay Close in relation to Coben's other works, or to other novels in the genre. What I noticed was a well executed start, intriguing plot, and enough tension to keep me up at night reading "one more chapter" well past a reasonable midnight hour.

Call me dense, but I did not guess the doer of this whodunit. The plot twist was fun. Didn't like Ken and Barbie characters (yes, that was their nicknames), but who would? I enjoyed the introspection
Paul Pessolano
Feb 07, 2012 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it
“Stay Close” by Harlan Coben, published by Dutton.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

Ken and Barbie are not who you think they are.

Ray Levine is in a dead end job even though he is a highly skilled photojournalist. He is haunted by Cassie, who he fell in love with and lost. He is also haunted by a murder.

Ken and Barbie are dangerous.

Cassie, Now Megan, has left behind her life as a stripper, and has entered the world of the upper middle class. She has a loving husband, two young children, and a wonderful
Mj
Jan 25, 2015 Mj rated it liked it
This book kept me interested enough to want to read more but I found I was able to put the book down fairly easily. It didn’t really grab me immediately and throughout. It didn’t suck me into reading another chapter to find out what would happen next like the other 2 books of his that I have read and rated 5 stars did. (Hold Tight and Tell No One)

Like his other books however, Coben does raise some interesting questions to ponder and made me think and reflect. What do people want out of life? Wha
Frances Plino
Nov 19, 2012 Frances Plino rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Harlan Coben is one of my all time favourite authors and I wasn’t disappointed by Stay Close.

We have the usual mix of damaged characters, who are never quite what they seem, and an ending that I simply didn’t see coming at all.

One of the damaged is Megan, seemingly happily married with a loving husband and family. But seventeen years ago Megan used to live on the wild side and is now finding her longed for domesticity stifling. Taking a trip into her past connects her with a series of unsolved
Evangeline Jennings
Jul 08, 2012 Evangeline Jennings rated it it was ok
Stay Close is the latest of Harlan Coben's standalone thrillers. It thrilled me slightly less than The Little Mermaid ride at Disneyland.

A lot of people get killed. Nobody really cares. Least of all this reader.

The "twist" is obvious. The killer is neither here nor there. And the "freaky" terror couple are as scary as those gay hitmen from that old Bond movie. They remind me of nothing so much as rejects from an old Modesty Blaise novel.

If you told me Harlan Coben dictated Stay Close over the
Love Fool
Apr 17, 2014 Love Fool rated it it was amazing
This book had me guessing till the end and I still didn't figure it out till I had to read it on the pages. I stayed up and cuddled in bed with my dogs, reading this like I was studying for my finals in college. I'm not going to write the summary of the book because I'm an idiot and will give something away but I will say just read it. And, you're welcome.
Carol Anne
May 07, 2012 Carol Anne rated it liked it
This is my first Harlan Coben book, and I wonder if it wasn't the right place to start. I enjoyed the book and thought it well paced with a reasonably satisfactory conclusion, though with fewer clues to follow than I might have liked. However, I was never really drawn right in to the story, even when the pace picked up towards the conclusion. The narrative style is very self-aware and self-reflective, which in moderation I enjoy but I found a little over-played in this instance. It is very much ...more
Susan
This was a good serial killer mystery with several different past and current stories coming together. The main investigative detectives were interesting enough, however, the story is based more around the backstories surrounding the suspects. Because of a current missing persons/possible murder and an old missing persons case with a similar MO, a group of old friends, that back in the day ran together in the fast lane of sex and drugs, find themselves drawn into the investigation. The Atlantic ...more
Sandie
Jun 12, 2013 Sandie rated it really liked it
You can't go home again. Megan Pierce is starting to realise that cliches stick around because they are based on truth. Seventeen years ago she was living as Cassie, making a living as an exotic dancer and dating dangerous men. When one of those men got increasingly violent and started hurting her, she decided she might need to make a new life. Then came the night when Cassie found his blood-soaked body in the woods and decided that the police would decide she was the killer. That's the night sh ...more
Marleen
May 12, 2012 Marleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the surface Megan is the typical suburban wife and mother. Living in a beautiful house with her loving husband and two children, her life behind the picket fence appears picture perfect. But Megan has a secret. Seventeen years ago she fled Atlantic City and her old life. A life in which she was called Cassie and worked as a dancer in a seedy place called La Crème. And although she knows she should be grateful that she had a chance to leave her old life behind and start a fresh one, part of he ...more
Deanna
Apr 15, 2015 Deanna rated it really liked it
I came across this author only a couple of years ago and have since enjoyed quite a few of his books.
While this one wasn't my favorite it was an enjoyable read.

This book is about three people with huge secrets that no one knows or would suspect. Megan is a soccer mom with a secret wild past. Ray was once talented documentary photographer, but now poses as a paparazzo. Lastly Detective Broome with an obsession to a cold case.

This book definitely shows that no matter how we try to hide and bury
Rick
Mar 27, 2012 Rick rated it really liked it
Coben always delivers on the mystery and suspense and STAY CLOSE is no exception. Multi-layered suspense that keeps you guessing until the very end, when the truth makes perfectly plausible sense. This book, though, stood apart because of its depth of feeling for human relationship and quiet commentary on life and why we stay together.
Mizuki
It's a safe 3.5 stars read, I read the entire book in one go, without any break, the mystery part of the novel is descent and we get to know different characters' backstory and secrets without those backstories being overdone. It's my first novel by Harlan Coben and I enjoy it well enough, but do not love it.
Lesley
Feb 21, 2016 Lesley rated it liked it
Disappointed I bought this book (instead of library borrow) 3 people from the past have something in common 17 years later the past is coming back. It was predictable! And he used the saying "this was her/his mistake" way too much.
melissa
Mar 20, 2012 melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction, 2012
I loved this book! It kept me on the edge right up until the end. My favorite thing about Harlan Coben's books are that you never see the endings coming, there are always twist & turns & this one was no different!
The Behrg
May 15, 2016 The Behrg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
This is a novel that completely confused me. There was no central hook, no through-line of a plot (though eventually it sort of came together), and the premise is one that sounds, if not stale, rather boring. And yet I enjoyed this darn thing way too much.

"Stay Close" is less of a crime thriller and more of a character study, where the past reaches its gnarly tentacles out, grappling to pull back the present. I was endeared by the difficulties shown of suburban life yet Coben proves that, despit
Glenda
May 30, 2012 Glenda rated it liked it
Stay Close is about Megan, who appears to be an ordinary all-American housewife, with two kids and a good husband; but Megan has a past, there are people who will remember her as Cassie - a good-time girl who worked the sleazy bars and lived life on the edge. When Megan revisits her past, her new life begins to unravel. Ray is a wreck, an ex-boyfriend of Cassie, his life has been one big mess for the past seventeen years, ever since Stewart Green disappeared - Ray can't forget the blood.
Detectiv
Ron Arden
Jul 17, 2012 Ron Arden rated it really liked it
Harlan Coben has produced another great page turner that brings together three people who had relationships 17 years ago in Atlantic City, NJ. Ray Levine was an award winning photojournalist and has fallen about as low as a human can get. Detective Broome of the Atlantic City PD is still trying to solve a missing person's case from 17 years ago. Cassie (or Megan as she is now known) is a suburban housewife with a wonderful family, but she still has an itch for her past in the clubs of Atlantic C ...more
Kelly Hager
Mar 21, 2012 Kelly Hager rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that's hard to describe without spoiling things, but I will do my best. Ray used to be a photographer (and a really good one) but now he's working as a fake-paparazzo for events (bar mitzvahs, etc.). Sounds pathetic, right? It is. He knows it. Megan is a suburban mom with a secret. Jack is a detective who is obsessed with a cold case---a married father of two disappeared and has never been seen again. So what's the connection?

Harlan Coben is one of my must-read author
Melodie
Sep 05, 2013 Melodie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is only the second of Harlan Coben's work I have read.Aficionado I am not. But I know what I like and I like Harlan Coben. He has a way of stringing together a plot that is seems to be a twisted ball of Christmas lights. But patience is rewarded and it all comes together. But not first without driving you crazy with the plot twists, seemingly unrelated and unnecessary characters and events.
And Stay Close is no exception. There are a bevy of characters with disparate pasts and presents. A
  • Experience: A Memoir
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • Letters from LA
  • 15 Seconds
  • Taken (Elvis Cole, #15; Joe Pike, #4)
  • The Accident
  • Down the Darkest Road (Oak Knoll, #3)
  • Guilty Wives
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Victims (Alex Delaware, #27)
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • You're Next
  • Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)
  • Damage (Abe Glitsky, #3)
  • And Then There Was One
  • Selected Essays from: How to be Alone
  • Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“... She looks really happy."
"Everyone looks happy on Facebook."
"I know, right? What's up with that?”
5 likes