Start by marking “Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made” as Want to Read:
Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made

Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A book that proves idiocy is as old as time

Think civilization has deteriorated and that people these days are dumber than ever? Dumb History proves that we didn’t invent stupidity in the 21st century. You’ll find facts from throughout the ages about everyone from Cleopatra and Napoleon to Elvis Presley and even NASA scientists.Consider this:

In 820 C.E., Emperor Hsien Tsung
Published May 29th 2012 by Plume (first published April 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dumb History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dumb History

Ryan Aday
Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made by Joey Green is a hilarious book that gives readers insight on the oddest and most idiotic actions history’s most well known figures have ever done. It tells of the blunders of American presidents, the strangeness of Chinese emperors, and the mistakes of businessmen, baseball heroes, and senators alike. The book also tells of architectural blunders of ships, buildings, and bridges, as well as terrible strategies in warfare and politics. Dumb Histor ...more
Victoria
Well... I'm not really sure what I was expecting from this. I received it as a gift a while ago and had been putting it off. I was hoping it would be funny, at the very least amusing. I just found myself annoyed at most of it.

The worst part, in my opinion, was the lack of organization. The facts jumped from topic to topic and were all over the place. A little organization, either chronologically or by category, would have helped.

I like to save 1 star ratings for the absolute worst, which this
Bjoern
Donovan Richards
Mistakes Make Brilliance

Everyone makes mistakes, even smart people. To a certain extent, brilliance is a product of multiple failures. It’s easy to credit an inventor with a dazzling idea which benefits society. But we often don’t realize the many failures it took to create such an idea.

This principle caused intrigue in Joey Green’s latest book, Dumb History. I wanted to discover the failures behind the brilliant people in history through humorous short stories.

High on Low Brow Humor, Low on S
Daniel Kukwa
Well, that was "disposable" in every sense of the word. Apart from a few interesting anecdotes, this is a very dismal piece of work, for numerous reasons: (1) there is absolutely no logic or rationality of organization -- it's simply thrown together at the author's whim; (2) there are MANY factual inaccuracies (eg. Romulus was NOT the first Roman emperor...and if you don't know who is, you shouldn't be writing any kind of book on history); (3) there are many moments when the author's personal ta ...more
Krystal
It truly is a wonder we've survived as long as we have. This book made me laugh over and over. I loved the small blurbs, they were just the right length to get the punchline across. There is not one person exempt from this kind of book, we all know we've done a few hysterical things-though maybe not funny or ironic enough to write about.

The readers will learn plenty of random facts they can later tell others when searching for a random conversation topic. The book doesn't organize the blurbs, b
Max
This book has some value if you need some quick talking points our if you want to wow others with your random knowledge at a party. Other than that, it's fairly boring. I was expecting a collection of funny facts that would keep me amused for a few hours. Unfortunately, these are just random historical facts. Some were slightly amusing, but most were just there.

I also think the book could have been improved by organizing the facts, either into groups or chronologically. As it is, they are just r
Keri-Lynn
This book did deliver on the "Dumb" promise but not so much on the "History". Yes, I know by one definition "history" is anything that happened before today, but I was hoping for a book that delved a little deeper into the past. Well over 400 of the 550 individual entries were post 1900, and many in the later part of that century, a time period I remember very well, making it an uninformative review at best. Of the 5 two-page sections devoted to a particular person or subject, only 2 had entries ...more
Thea
Amusing way to pass the time but I didn't learn much, and some of these "facts" have already been proven false by scholars. I read this while waiting in a doctor's office, and that's about all it's good for.
Marcia
What a great trivia book! This book has a wide range of information from Aristotle to the present day. Each entry has a full explanation, which is much appreciated and lacking in most trivia books. It is a fascinating collection of information for people who want to what and why.
Janice
Goodreads Giveaway.

I would have liked this book better if it had been organized into chapters by category instead of the apparently random arrangement. I was surprised how many of the anecdotes I had read elsewhere or knew just from general knowledge.
Susan

An easy, fun read. Would have liked it better if the facts were put into categories (sports, presidents, etc) for easy lookup later. Won this book from Goodreads Giveaways and was impressed that it came autographed and with a note!
Roy Zinder
I love this book. It's filled with short, pithy, fun, bite-sized factoids that made me laugh out loud. This book would make a great gift for anyone, really. I gave a copy to my nephew who just graduated from college, and he ate it up.
David
This is a "bathroom" read, with little new "stuff" to offer. I think the title has more to do with the author's choices than historical idiocy.
Ashley
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Very cute, small, perfect for a read on a trip. Funny and informative as well.
Jessica
Pretty good snippets of historical mistakes of much hilarity......but only when viewed with hindsight. Still a fun read.
Michael
i enjoyed it, there's no chapters, just quick 2-3 pages on each "dumb history" moment, good read
Ian
Sep 03, 2012 Ian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humour
Lots of multiple, short entries per page. Amusing bathroom type of book.
Richard Martin
"Darwin Awards" without death. Well, actually, there was one.
Kamaria Nurse
Terribly funny chronicle of historical mistakes.
Marvin
Really funny, liked it.
Tonir
Tonir marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
moshie
moshie marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Savannah Santilli
Savannah Santilli is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Worst Ideas Ever: A Celebration of Embarrassment
  • Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Volume 15
  • The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • Unsolved Mysteries of History: An Eye-Opening Investigation Into the Most Baffling Events of All Time
  • Barack Obama, Abraham Lincoln, and the Structure of Reason
  • Ten Tea Parties: Patriotic Protests That History Forgot
  • Ghost Dances: Proving Up on the Great Plains
  • Secrets of the Civil War
  • Legends, Lies & Cherished Myths of American History
  • Nine Lives of a Marriage - A Curious Journey
  • The Big, Fun, Sexy Sex Book
  • Letters to a Friend
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • What If the Earth Had Two Moons?: And Nine Other Thought-Provoking Speculations on the Solar System
  • The Perfect Companion: Understanding, Training and Bonding with your Dog!
  • The Boy: A Holocaust Story
  • The King's Grave: The Discovery of Richard III's Lost Burial Place and the Clues It Holds
  • Mastering Comics: Drawing Words & Writing Pictures Continued
Joey Green, a former contributing editor to National Lampoon and a former advertising copywriter at J. Walter Thompson, is the author of more than fifty (yes, fifty) books, including Contrary to Popular Belief, Clean It! Fix It! Eat It!, the best-selling Joey Green's Magic Brands series, The Mad Scientist Handbook series, The Zen of Oz, and You Know You've Reached Middle Age If...—to name just a f ...more
More about Joey Green...
Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed The Zen of Oz: Ten Spiritual Lessons from Over the Rainbow Joey Green's Amazing Kitchen Cures: 1,150 Ways to Prevent and Cure Common Ailments with Brand-Name Products The Warning Label Book: Warning: Reading This Book May Cause Spontaneous, Uncontrollable Laughter. Joey Green's Incredible Country Store: Potions, Notions and Elixirs of the Past--and How to Make Them Today