Start by marking “Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made” as Want to Read:
Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made

Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made

A book that proves idiocy is as old as time

Think civilization has deteriorated and that people these days are dumber than ever? Dumb History proves that we didn’t invent stupidity in the 21st century. You’ll find facts from throughout the ages about everyone from Cleopatra and Napoleon to Elvis Presley and even NASA scientists. Consider this:

In 820 C.E., Emperor Hsien Tsu
Published May 29th 2012 by Plume (first published April 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dumb History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dumb History

Bjoern
Ryan Aday
Jan 01, 2014 Ryan Aday rated it really liked it
Dumb History: The Stupidest Mistakes Ever Made by Joey Green is a hilarious book that gives readers insight on the oddest and most idiotic actions history’s most well known figures have ever done. It tells of the blunders of American presidents, the strangeness of Chinese emperors, and the mistakes of businessmen, baseball heroes, and senators alike. The book also tells of architectural blunders of ships, buildings, and bridges, as well as terrible strategies in warfare and politics. Dumb Histor ...more
Donovan Richards
Jun 09, 2012 Donovan Richards rated it it was ok
Mistakes Make Brilliance

Everyone makes mistakes, even smart people. To a certain extent, brilliance is a product of multiple failures. It’s easy to credit an inventor with a dazzling idea which benefits society. But we often don’t realize the many failures it took to create such an idea.

This principle caused intrigue in Joey Green’s latest book, Dumb History. I wanted to discover the failures behind the brilliant people in history through humorous short stories.

High on Low Brow Humor, Low on S
Coby
Oct 19, 2015 Coby rated it it was amazing
Book Review on “Dumb History” by Joey Green

I have been reading the book called ‘Dumb History’ This book consists of satire anecdotes and small stories of history (may be flashbacks) pointing out human stupidity. I read this book in my class Issues in Nonfiction, and here is what I have to say about it.
I personally do not enjoy reading at all. But the door opened when I saw this book in Washington D.C. I had to get it. Months later, I started to read Dumb History. I really like it because it is
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 23, 2013 Daniel Kukwa rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Well, that was "disposable" in every sense of the word. Apart from a few interesting anecdotes, this is a very dismal piece of work, for numerous reasons: (1) there is absolutely no logic or rationality of organization -- it's simply thrown together at the author's whim; (2) there are MANY factual inaccuracies (eg. Romulus was NOT the first Roman emperor...and if you don't know who is, you shouldn't be writing any kind of book on history); (3) there are many moments when the author's personal ta ...more
Victoria
May 22, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok
Shelves: duds
Well... I'm not really sure what I was expecting from this. I received it as a gift a while ago and had been putting it off. I was hoping it would be funny, at the very least amusing. I just found myself annoyed at most of it.

The worst part, in my opinion, was the lack of organization. The facts jumped from topic to topic and were all over the place. A little organization, either chronologically or by category, would have helped.

I like to save 1 star ratings for the absolute worst, which this
ILoveBooks
Jul 24, 2012 ILoveBooks rated it really liked it
It truly is a wonder we've survived as long as we have. This book made me laugh over and over. I loved the small blurbs, they were just the right length to get the punchline across. There is not one person exempt from this kind of book, we all know we've done a few hysterical things-though maybe not funny or ironic enough to write about.

The readers will learn plenty of random facts they can later tell others when searching for a random conversation topic. The book doesn't organize the blurbs, b
Max
Jun 22, 2012 Max rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, history
This book has some value if you need some quick talking points our if you want to wow others with your random knowledge at a party. Other than that, it's fairly boring. I was expecting a collection of funny facts that would keep me amused for a few hours. Unfortunately, these are just random historical facts. Some were slightly amusing, but most were just there.

I also think the book could have been improved by organizing the facts, either into groups or chronologically. As it is, they are just r
Keri-Lynn
Jul 06, 2012 Keri-Lynn rated it it was ok
This book did deliver on the "Dumb" promise but not so much on the "History". Yes, I know by one definition "history" is anything that happened before today, but I was hoping for a book that delved a little deeper into the past. Well over 400 of the 550 individual entries were post 1900, and many in the later part of that century, a time period I remember very well, making it an uninformative review at best. Of the 5 two-page sections devoted to a particular person or subject, only 2 had entries ...more
Roy Zinder
Jun 06, 2012 Roy Zinder rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's filled with short, pithy, fun, bite-sized factoids that made me laugh out loud. This book would make a great gift for anyone, really. I gave a copy to my nephew who just graduated from college, and he ate it up.
Susan
Jun 11, 2012 Susan rated it liked it

An easy, fun read. Would have liked it better if the facts were put into categories (sports, presidents, etc) for easy lookup later. Won this book from Goodreads Giveaways and was impressed that it came autographed and with a note!
Janice
Jun 22, 2012 Janice rated it liked it
Goodreads Giveaway.

I would have liked this book better if it had been organized into chapters by category instead of the apparently random arrangement. I was surprised how many of the anecdotes I had read elsewhere or knew just from general knowledge.
Marcia
Jun 09, 2012 Marcia rated it it was amazing
What a great trivia book! This book has a wide range of information from Aristotle to the present day. Each entry has a full explanation, which is much appreciated and lacking in most trivia books. It is a fascinating collection of information for people who want to what and why.
Thea
Jan 21, 2014 Thea rated it it was ok
Amusing way to pass the time but I didn't learn much, and some of these "facts" have already been proven false by scholars. I read this while waiting in a doctor's office, and that's about all it's good for.
Jessica
Jan 14, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Pretty good snippets of historical mistakes of much hilarity......but only when viewed with hindsight. Still a fun read.
David
Mar 22, 2012 David rated it it was ok
This is a "bathroom" read, with little new "stuff" to offer. I think the title has more to do with the author's choices than historical idiocy.
Ashley
Jun 22, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Very cute, small, perfect for a read on a trip. Funny and informative as well.
Amanda
Jul 02, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Short book with little snippets of dumb moments in history. Some of them I'm not sure I would call "dumb" (mainly the science ones), but there were several funny ones.
Vanessa
Aug 13, 2016 Vanessa rated it really liked it
It was a great don't have to think book. Not sure if a lot of it is true but it was cute!
Kamaria Nurse
Jan 16, 2014 Kamaria Nurse rated it really liked it
Terribly funny chronicle of historical mistakes.
Marvin
Feb 16, 2013 Marvin rated it liked it
Really funny, liked it.
Michael
Oct 12, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
i enjoyed it, there's no chapters, just quick 2-3 pages on each "dumb history" moment, good read
Steve
Steve rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2012
Ashley Hackenmiller
Ashley Hackenmiller rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
May 25, 2012
Elly
Elly rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Tatiyana White
Tatiyana White rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Leanne
Leanne rated it it was ok
May 12, 2015
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Ghost Dances: Proving Up on the Great Plains
  • Secrets of the Civil War
  • マギ 15 [Magi 15] (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, #15)
  • Worst Ideas Ever: A Celebration of Embarrassment
  • The Greatest War Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from Military History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • Ten Tea Parties: Patriotic Protests That History Forgot
  • Unsolved Mysteries of American History: An Eye-Opening Journey Through 500 Years of Discoveries, Disappearances, and Baffling Events
  • Touching America's History: From the Pequot War Through WWII
  • Legends, Lies & Cherished Myths of American History
  • The Lost Photographs of Captain Scott: Unseen Images from the Legendary Antarctic Expedition
  • Doomed to Repeat: The Lessons of History We've Failed to Learn
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • Toby's Tails (Fantasy Farm Tales, #1)
  • Ladies of the Field: Early Women Archaeologists and Their Search for Adventure
  • Lincoln and Obama
  • Scapegoat: A History of Blaming Other People
  • Iceberg, Right Ahead! The Tragedy of the Titanic
  • MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot
Joey Green, a former contributing editor to National Lampoon and a former advertising copywriter at J. Walter Thompson, is the author of more than fifty (yes, fifty) books, including Contrary to Popular Belief, Clean It! Fix It! Eat It!, the best-selling Joey Green's Magic Brands series, The Mad Scientist Handbook series, The Zen of Oz, and You Know You've Reached Middle Age If...—to name just a f ...more
More about Joey Green...