Start by marking “Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)

Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad #2)

Mal is a kid genius with a talking dog . . . so why doesn't anyone seem to notice him? When Chad begins having scary dreams, Mal builds a dream portal to defeat Chad's nightmare beast once and for all. Something goes wrong, though, and the beast follows Mal back to reality.
Published January 19th 2012 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Mal and Chad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mal and Chad

Dani Shuping
Jan 19, 2012 Dani Shuping rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
So what are “Mal and Chad” books like? Well imagine "Dexter's Laboratory," "Jimmy Neutron," and a dash of "Calvin & Hobbes" and you've got a pretty good idea. And please don't take that as me saying that Stephen has co-opted these other guys for his own, no no...Mal and Chad is unique in it's own way. This is the second printed adventure for “Mal and Chad” (they started off life as a webcomic which can still be found online) and this adventure is even bigger than the last one. Yes, even bigg ...more
katsok
This was a great addition to the Mal and Chad series. The other kids are mean to Mal, and I don't enjoy that, but I do think it is something other kids will relate to.
Pam
Nov 10, 2016 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
Book two for this clever genius and his dog. A graphic novel that will appeal to middle grade readers.
Dragos
May 30, 2016 Dragos rated it really liked it
Wow this book was awesome. This book is the second book in a series which has three books so
far. This book centers around mal and chad, Mal being the smartest boy in the world and chad being the only talking dog in the world. These two are best friends and go on crazy adventures. However no one knows of mals genius. He stays a normal kid to be … in the same grade as a girl he likes. It seems he doesn’t have common sense. Instead of using his ability for good like solving world hunger or stoppin
Billy Mathis
Mal and Chad: Food Fight is a great short comic series for students. It deals with a boy named Mal and his imaginary talking dog named Chad. This story deals a lot with problems boys can have growing up. The girl he has a crush on, named Megan, has started a club he can't join because it is a girls only club. Eventually, Mal starts having nightmares and his dog Chad builds a machine that allows him to go back into the dreams with him to fight the monster. There are some conflicts that happen fro ...more
Jenn Myers
Feb 05, 2013 Jenn Myers rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite of the Mal and Chad books. For one thing, it's very Chad-centric, and I am all about stories with talking dogs in them. I'm really glad that Stephen McCranie has given some more page time to the little guy.

Short summary for this book is that Chad is forced to face his biggest nightmare, so Mal builds a machine that will allow them to face it together. The drawings of the dream worlds are pretty incredible, and there is one really beautiful moment where Mal goes into Megan's
Courtenay
Sep 11, 2016 Courtenay rated it liked it
I scratched my head at the end of the book, wondering at the title. I think a more appropriate title would have been "Monster Machine" or "Dream Catcher". An okay book. Enough interest that I'm curious about #3.
Samantha
Dec 16, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Kid-genius, Mal, and his talking dog, Chad, are back! This time Mal has created a dream portal that he uses to try to help Chad battle the evil lion that has been terrorizing him in his dreams since he was a puppy.

Meanwhile, at school, the boys and girls are club crazy. The girls start a club and nickname all of the boys in their grade after fruits so they can whisper about them in secret. Mal decides to start his own club, but at first no one wants to join and then when he does manage to get a
Stephanie
Apr 20, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I decided to scan through this while processing it at work. My daughter had read this (even met the author and had her copy signed) and really enjoyed it. The scanning turned into a full out read. It is a quick, easy, and enjoyable book. A story about a young boy who's best friend is a talking dog and the adventures that they go on. This focuses on adventures in their dreams.

Side Note: The author Stephen McCranie actually graduated from the high school that I now work at (in the library). We ar
Samantha
Aug 13, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was really fun and really weird all at the same time. Mal is a total nerd who has a crush ona girl named Megan. Mal's named dog is Chad and he is a worrier. His biggest fright is cats. Chad is the dog who has nightmares all the time, so when he has a nightmare, Mal(being a nerd) got down to bussnis. Mal made a dream portal machine so that chad and mal could fight the dream cat. fallow mal and chad on their journey in the book MAL AND CHAD: FOOD FIGHT!!
Maria
An invisibility spray? A portal into the dream world? This kid has some awesome ideas and creative inventions. Sprinkle in a little discussion of the theory of relativity and you have a book that will appeal to fans of science, adventure, and a little mayhem.

More information (and NF pairings for the series) here. http://www.mariaselke.com/2012/10/sci...
Anne
Sep 26, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
Smart kid Mal and his dog Chad are back! This time Chad is having nightmares, so Mal builds a machine that lets him enter people's dreams. While he is in there, they can confront the lion scaring Chad together. Great illustrations and relevant themes for elementary and middle school students ensure this will be a popular choice.
Kellee
This Mal and Chad felt different to me but I still really enjoyed it just as much. The first book was more about Mal and Chad and his inventions and troubles at school. This one focuses on Mal's crush on Megan and fighting your fears. Amazing the ideas that Stephen McCranie has come up with. Looking forward to the next book!!!
Francis Poesy
Apr 10, 2012 Francis Poesy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've been a fan of Mal and Chad ever since first seeing them on Neatorama as part of a regular caption contest. Stephen has a very good sense of both story and whimsey. I also like his clean lines and the balance of his chock full of detail panels against his simple single character panels. I'm looking forward to his third Mal and Chad book Belly Flop.
May 24, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
Mal (boy genius) and Chad (his dog who's afraid of cats) try to figure out how to cure Chad's nightmares. They time-travel to a place made of huge delicious foods...and from there, it's food fight time! Zippy text and crisp black and white comics move us through this story quickly.
Reader Girl
Aug 06, 2016 Reader Girl rated it liked it
My daughter begged me to read this book after she did. At the beginning I thought it would be too childish for me, but there were some great quotes and interesting plot twists that kept it entertaining.
Nadine
Jun 18, 2016 Nadine rated it liked it
#graphic novel sweet tale of an underestimated boy genius and his dog and their trials and tribulations with boys who bully and the lovely Megan who never gives him the time of day until right at the end. Sweet and fun
Gigi
Feb 21, 2013 Gigi rated it really liked it
A nice graphic novel with an interesting main character (Mal) and his loyal dog (Chad). Mal is a genius inventor who wears a lab coat and creates inventions like invisible spray. It was entertaining with a nice message about talents and fitting in.
Nancy Jo Lambert
These new graphic novels are very well written and illustrated! I really enjoyed Chad and his genius inventions that got him into trouble. Mal is a fun dog with a fear of cats. Their adventures are sure to be a hit with kids who enjoy graphic novels!
Dolores
Mar 13, 2016 Dolores rated it it was amazing
The second entry in this series. Like the first, it's both funny and unexpectedly sweet. And, of course...lots of fun for boys.
Dru
Oct 23, 2012 Dru rated it liked it
Shelves: j-graphic-novel
A fun book that's surprisingly dense in plot for the audience. The cartooning reminds me of Jeff Smith's Bone (without the amazing landscapes.)
Luca
Apr 09, 2016 Luca rated it it was amazing
Mal and his dog, Chad, are one good group!! In this book, Chad and Mal face Chad's nightmare... a Lion! Mal also wants to make a SECRET CLUB! The bookis really funny and good, read it!
Carissa
Another adventure of Mal and Chad--this one with elements of school-age politics (bullies, boy vs. girl relationships, secret clubs, etc.).
Joshua
Sep 30, 2015 Joshua rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-graphic
Another solid volume of Mal and Chads adventures. The more I read these though the more I wish they were in color.
Tim Vandenberg
Apr 07, 2013 Tim Vandenberg rated it it was amazing
Stephen McCranie is a middle-grade comic genius!

The touching dream sequence b/t Mal & Megan was epic on so many levels!

Hugely recommended!
Karen
Apr 22, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
I know students will like this addition to the Mal and Chad series, but I hate how mean the other kids are to Mal.
Steph
Sep 14, 2015 Steph rated it really liked it
So cute! This might be the first graphic novel I've read that the lack of color in the illustrations didn't bug me. Still loved it!
Christiane
I didn't like this quite as much as the first one, but still, it's a sweet, clean comic about a smart, imaginative boy and his dog. Great for young comic book fans.
Andrew
Jun 02, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
It's nice to see something I read in college get bigger. Very cute story that was extremely enjoyable.
Alicias
Alicias rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Captain Disaster (Squish, #4)
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Bird & Squirrel on the Run
  • Earthling!
  • The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table, #3)
  • And Then There Were Gnomes
  • Teen Boat!
  • Cleopatra in Space, Book Two: The Thief and the Sword
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Giants Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette #1)
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Big Bad Ironclad!
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Sardine in Outer Space
  • Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse
  • Stinky
  • The Shark King

Mal and Chad (3 books)
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Mal and Chad: Belly Flop! (Mal and Chad, #3)