Start by marking “Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)

Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Mal is a kid genius with a talking dog . . . so why doesn't anyone seem to notice him? When Chad begins having scary dreams, Mal builds a dream portal to defeat Chad's nightmare beast once and for all. Something goes wrong, though, and the beast follows Mal back to reality.
Published January 19th 2012 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Mal and Chad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mal and Chad

Andy Shuping
So what are “Mal and Chad” books like? Well imagine "Dexter's Laboratory," "Jimmy Neutron," and a dash of "Calvin & Hobbes" and you've got a pretty good idea. And please don't take that as me saying that Stephen has co-opted these other guys for his own, no no...Mal and Chad is unique in it's own way. This is the second printed adventure for “Mal and Chad” (they started off life as a webcomic which can still be found online) and this adventure is even bigger than the last one. Yes, even bigg...more
katsok
This was a great addition to the Mal and Chad series. The other kids are mean to Mal, and I don't enjoy that, but I do think it is something other kids will relate to.
Billy Mathis
Mal and Chad: Food Fight is a great short comic series for students. It deals with a boy named Mal and his imaginary talking dog named Chad. This story deals a lot with problems boys can have growing up. The girl he has a crush on, named Megan, has started a club he can't join because it is a girls only club. Eventually, Mal starts having nightmares and his dog Chad builds a machine that allows him to go back into the dreams with him to fight the monster. There are some conflicts that happen fro...more
Jenn Myers
This was my favorite of the Mal and Chad books. For one thing, it's very Chad-centric, and I am all about stories with talking dogs in them. I'm really glad that Stephen McCranie has given some more page time to the little guy.

Short summary for this book is that Chad is forced to face his biggest nightmare, so Mal builds a machine that will allow them to face it together. The drawings of the dream worlds are pretty incredible, and there is one really beautiful moment where Mal goes into Megan's...more
Samantha
Kid-genius, Mal, and his talking dog, Chad, are back! This time Mal has created a dream portal that he uses to try to help Chad battle the evil lion that has been terrorizing him in his dreams since he was a puppy.

Meanwhile, at school, the boys and girls are club crazy. The girls start a club and nickname all of the boys in their grade after fruits so they can whisper about them in secret. Mal decides to start his own club, but at first no one wants to join and then when he does manage to get a...more
Javier Maya
Stephanie
I decided to scan through this while processing it at work. My daughter had read this (even met the author and had her copy signed) and really enjoyed it. The scanning turned into a full out read. It is a quick, easy, and enjoyable book. A story about a young boy who's best friend is a talking dog and the adventures that they go on. This focuses on adventures in their dreams.

Side Note: The author Stephen McCranie actually graduated from the high school that I now work at (in the library). We ar...more
Pedro
Sep 29, 2014 Pedro is currently reading it
It funny and mest up
Samantha
I thought this book was really fun and really weird all at the same time. Mal is a total nerd who has a crush ona girl named Megan. Mal's named dog is Chad and he is a worrier. His biggest fright is cats. Chad is the dog who has nightmares all the time, so when he has a nightmare, Mal(being a nerd) got down to bussnis. Mal made a dream portal machine so that chad and mal could fight the dream cat. fallow mal and chad on their journey in the book MAL AND CHAD: FOOD FIGHT!!
Maria
An invisibility spray? A portal into the dream world? This kid has some awesome ideas and creative inventions. Sprinkle in a little discussion of the theory of relativity and you have a book that will appeal to fans of science, adventure, and a little mayhem.

More information (and NF pairings for the series) here. http://www.mariaselke.com/2012/10/sci...
Tim Canny
I've been a fan of Mal and Chad ever since first seeing them on Neatorama as part of a regular caption contest. Stephen has a very good sense of both story and whimsey. I also like his clean lines and the balance of his chock full of detail panels against his simple single character panels. I'm looking forward to his third Mal and Chad book Belly Flop.
Kellee
This Mal and Chad felt different to me but I still really enjoyed it just as much. The first book was more about Mal and Chad and his inventions and troubles at school. This one focuses on Mal's crush on Megan and fighting your fears. Amazing the ideas that Stephen McCranie has come up with. Looking forward to the next book!!!
Anne
Smart kid Mal and his dog Chad are back! This time Chad is having nightmares, so Mal builds a machine that lets him enter people's dreams. While he is in there, they can confront the lion scaring Chad together. Great illustrations and relevant themes for elementary and middle school students ensure this will be a popular choice.
Mal (boy genius) and Chad (his dog who's afraid of cats) try to figure out how to cure Chad's nightmares. They time-travel to a place made of huge delicious foods...and from there, it's food fight time! Zippy text and crisp black and white comics move us through this story quickly.
Gigi
A nice graphic novel with an interesting main character (Mal) and his loyal dog (Chad). Mal is a genius inventor who wears a lab coat and creates inventions like invisible spray. It was entertaining with a nice message about talents and fitting in.
Nancy Jo Lambert
These new graphic novels are very well written and illustrated! I really enjoyed Chad and his genius inventions that got him into trouble. Mal is a fun dog with a fear of cats. Their adventures are sure to be a hit with kids who enjoy graphic novels!
Christiane
I didn't like this quite as much as the first one, but still, it's a sweet, clean comic about a smart, imaginative boy and his dog. Great for young comic book fans.
Dru
A fun book that's surprisingly dense in plot for the audience. The cartooning reminds me of Jeff Smith's Bone (without the amazing landscapes.)
Tim Vandenberg
Stephen McCranie is a middle-grade comic genius!

The touching dream sequence b/t Mal & Megan was epic on so many levels!

Hugely recommended!
Dolores
The second entry in this series. Like the first, it's both funny and unexpectedly sweet. And, of course...lots of fun for boys.
Karen
I know students will like this addition to the Mal and Chad series, but I hate how mean the other kids are to Mal.
Andrew
It's nice to see something I read in college get bigger. Very cute story that was extremely enjoyable.
Mary Lee
A boy and his dog. But no ordinary boy. And a dog who decides to face his fears.
Alida
A boy genius that teaches his dog to speak? How can I refuse?
Kate McCartney
Grades 2+

I love Mal and Chad. They have such fun adventures.
Jen
"It was funny, liked illustrations and story details."
Potassium
I love the dream drawings the best in this one. :)
Dawn Trlak-Donahue
Kind of reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes.
NewFranklin School
It was Goofy
and funny
Jacob
Public library copy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • Cleopatra in Space #1: Target Practice (Cleopatra in Space, #1)
  • Captain Disaster (Squish, #4)
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Giants Beware!
  • Bird & Squirrel on the Run
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Earthling!
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table, #3)
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant
  • Explorer 2: The Lost Islands
  • Sardine in Outer Space
  • Princeless, Book One: Save Yourself
Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1) Mal and Chad: Belly Flop! (Mal and Chad, #3) Brick by Brick Belly Flop!: Book 3 (Mal and Chad)