Frog and Fly

Frog and Fly

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Six slurpy stories, two comical combatants, and one laugh-out-loud picture book

Frog and Fly are constant companions. There is only one problem . . . Frog thinks Fly is delicious! This leads to a never-ending battle of wits with laugh-out- loud consequences. Told in six short comic stripstyle chapters, Frog and Fly will delight kids and leave them begging for yet another s...more
Published March 15th 2012 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Frog and Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frog and Fly

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrLove You Forever by Robert MunschThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
Best Books for a New Child's Library
192nd out of 263 books — 151 voters
This is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenCreepy Carrots! by Aaron ReynoldsZ Is for Moose by Kelly BinghamStep Gently Out by Helen FrostLemonade in Winter by Emily Jenkins
2013 Texas 2x2 Reading List
16th out of 20 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

The Styling Librarian
LOVED this book! Hilarious easy reader that will be quite appealing. Enjoyed the 6 stories. Made my son chortle...
Allison Parker
Love the surprising darkness to this set of stories. Spoiler alert: the fly gets it. Repeatedly.
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Lexile Level: BR

Pages: 42 pgs

Summary: Frog loves fly...to eat that is. This comic book style picture book has six short stories about frog and his pursuit to eat fly.

Recommendations or Comments: It is a cute book. The story line progresses with each chapter. Talking with a child on what will happen next will lengthen this book of few words. I am a little confused if Mack is portraying the same fly over and over or if it is a new fly each chapter. I hope for the latter. This book reminds me of se...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
These six stories about a frog and a fly (though not the same fly…the fly has a tendency to get eaten) are quite amusing! In the first story the fly says “hi” to the frog. The frog responds by saying “nice to eet you?” The fly tries to correct him with “No. Nice to meet you.” Then the frog eats the fly and thinks, “No. Nice to eat you!” And thus ends the first story of frog and fly. And yes, each story has the frog “slurping” away trying to eat flies.

These are short stories, with only a few word...more
Tasha
Six very short stories about a frog and a fly are told here. Done in comic panels, the stories are all simple and quite funny. In each story, the frog meets a fly and ends up not really making friends but instead making lunch. Each story is slightly different and filled with little puns. The frog manages to cleverly lure the fly closer by talking with it, but eventually just slurps that fly right up. The arc of the first two stories is very similar. The third brings in ketchup and a burger. The...more
Barbara
These six very short stories told in simple text and through multi-media illustrations follow the adventures of a very hungry frog and a fly--or a series of flies--that flits nearby. Each time the fly greets the frog, it ends up becoming a savory snack for the amphibian. But on one dark night, the frog meets its match as the fly hops onto a large, furry critter much larger than the frog. While the end of each story is predictable, beginning readers are likely to enjoy reading this title and appl...more
Pat Salvatini
Six short chapters of Frog and Fly, except fly keeps getting eaten so it must be lots of different flies. Lots of east rhyming words for beginning readers, bold graphic illustrations. Kids will like the silliness.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I totally love this book! I hope the Geisel Award committee has their eyes on Frog and Fly because it is fun, funny, and really great as an easy reader book. The words are repetitive and simple but still manage to build with the illustrations to make a great six-part story that will have kids and adults laughing. The illustrations are simple, cartoony, and likable but don't have the same sense of expression that Mo Willem's does in the Elephant and Piggie books where the pictures really begin to...more
The Library Lady
The summary makes it seem as if "Fly" is one character and this is akin to, say, Frog and Toad Are Friends. Nope,nope, nope.

Frog IS Frog, but "Fly" is a series of flies who, chapter by chapter, get eaten by Frog. However, it may be a Frog eats Fly world, but Frog has his own place on the food chain for a perfect ending.

This is being classed as a picture book, but it's more of a beginning reader with minimal text that often repeats, and the humor is more kindergarten and up than toddler/preschool...more
Rebecca Plaza
Hilarious!! speech bubble practice partner reading with feeling! 6 super short chapters for goal setting accomplishment. Feels spontaneous.
Mrs. Knott
2015 Monarch nominee
Funny... but disturbing at the same time. Is it always the same fly that comes back chapter after chapter??
Ann Williams
Some of you will think this book is HILARIOUS! There are some great mini lesson possibilities with this picture book.
Maggie KutsBorg
Fun and funny. Typical Jeff Mack style. This one has the kind of soft-shock value that kids of Monarch age appreciate.
Mlh346comcast.net
E MACK, J. 5 short stories in which the frog slurps down a fly. In the sixth, the frog gets slurped.
Bmack
Six “chapters” of comic book style stories about Frog vs. Fly. Fun to read and it has a surprise ending!
Carol
Frog and Fly have such an interesting relationship. Or should I say Frog and Fly and Fly and Fly and Fly and Fly and Fly have an interesting relationship. Each of the "Six Slurpy Stories" is told in a simple comic book format. Frog and a Fly encounter each other in various situations each ending in the same unfortunate way. Or do they? In the sixth and final chapter, Frog tries slurping something even he can't handle. Fans of Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie books will laugh even harder when they...more
Lindsay
A very beginning reader with great humor. So rare! What a treat.
Cheyenne
This was cute and funny.
Heather Ligman
In all honesty, my review is probably higher than it should be. Not many books make me literally laugh out loud. But this book does. Plus, I have a thing for frogs. This is just a funny book to read. It has 6 short, very easy to read chapters. There really is no quality writing here. Over and over the frog eats the fly. Until the last chapter. Could be used as a prediction book. But would mostly be used as an individual enjoyment reading book.
Brianna
This book was about a friendship between a frog, and a fly. The frog would always have someway of tricking the fly to get in his mouth. When the fly tried to play with the other animals they all told fly to shew. So the fly really only had the frog, and they would goof off. I really don't see myself reading this to a class because its kind of pointless, but I could see how it's a kids book because it has their kind of humor.
Kayla
This book is kind of fantastic, which I was not expecting from the cover. It's possible that it takes a certain sense of humor to enjoy it, but my 8 and 5 year old demanded a re-read as soon as we finished it for the first time. Each of the six stories is short and quite funny, kind of like Cowboy and Octopus (which we love, as well). I just really liked reading it.
Joyce
Repetition is normally a good thing for picture books, especially if used in storytime, but I felt like this book missed the boat. The fate of the fly was a bit much, and at a certain point, tiresome. CJ seemed bored throughout the book, and the ending didn't impress her, so I'm not sure what our students will think of this Monarch nominee.
Deanna
This 2015 Monarch award nominee was sort of strange to me. In the end the frog gets eaten by a bear and throughout the rest of the story the frog keeps eating the fly. The stories were all a little redundant but I think this short picture book has the potential to keep young readers attention thanks to it's vivid and fun illustrations.
Joanne Zienty
Uggh -- I can't imagine reading this book aloud to kindergartners and first graders. What looks like a book where two opposites learn to be friends turns out to be a mean-spirited, snarky joke, the humor of which is more on the fifth grade level. But I don't think fifth graders will want to read it either!
Jess
Review for Metro Parent:
Six very short chapters, told in comic book-style panels, show the inevitable relationship between frogs and flies – it always ends with a “slurp!” The predictably humorous outcomes build confidence in young readers, while the final chapter adds a nice twist.
Bethe
What a hoot! Or shall I say gribbet? 6 short stories showcase the tenuous friendly relationship between Frog and Fly and introduce the graphic novel format to the youngest readers. A little fun, dark humor theme, a la I Want my Hat Back, runs through the stories.
Emily
I really loved this book because it is one big story of consequences, which yet again, i feel is an important lesson for young readers. Kids would find this book being funny and Jeff Mack always leaves his young readers wanting to hear more.
Warnie B.
I...didn't really appreciate this one much. I don't do well with short stories, and these are super short--ha! I don't know, the art didn't really appeal to me, and neither did the humor. But I can imagine kids finding it pretty funny.
Wistful Reader
I enjoyed the dark humor, but am really bothered by the beginning when frog "says nice to eet you?" I guess it's supposed to be a play on fly's "nice to meet you," but it was troublesome and ruined it as a beginning reader.
Angie
Graphic novel part might be a stretch ... but maybe not, depending on your definition.

That said ... SO CUTE. Love it.

Only

slight spoiler here ...

if he keeps eating the fly how does fly come back in the next story?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse
  • I Know A Wee Piggy
  • How Many Jelly Beans?
  • The Three Ninja Pigs
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • Digger, Dozer, Dumper