Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation

Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,483 ratings  ·  302 reviews
In the bright buzzing room...it is time to power down.

For parents and children alike, here is a modern bedtime story about bidding our gadgets goodnight. Don't worry, though. They'll be waiting for us, fully charged, in the morning.
Published October 27th 2011 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight iPad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight iPad

Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other... by Matthew InmanCyanide and Happiness by Kris WilsonThe Cat with a Really Big Head by Roman DirgeThe Bumper Book of Bunny Suicides by Andy Riley
Books For The Adult Child
8th out of 32 books — 24 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Books with Really Long Titles
112th out of 544 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
I’m going to keep this short and sweet...just like this free little online book.

I thought it was terrific but you can see for yourself. Simply Click it** and enjoy...and hope to all the marketing gods that Samuel L. Jackson is available for another audio narration gig.

A few minutes of happy

**NOTE: "click it" in this context refers to both the link to the cute, clever story and to the “like” button below for the kindly, thoughtful goodreader who led you to it.

I mean c’mon…fair is fair. I'll ev...more
Manny
Damn! I wish I'd thought of it! Still, maybe adding my own verses will help me tear myself from my screen come bedtime:
Goodnight Goodreads, goodnight page.
Goodnight Harry Potter fans, all in a rage.
Goodnight conference paper I still need to write.
Goodnight Internet AND THAT'S GOODNIGHT!!
Riku Sayuj
A short and sweet book. It won't take more than 5 minutes and you will surely love it.

For more, see this brilliant review by Stephen

To read the book, visit here.

Formatting this took more time than reading the book and I am not counting this to my reading challenge for the year. But trust me when I say that I will remember this one!

So Click It - yes, that link above and read it. Also, as Stephen said, "click it" in this context refers to both the link to the cute, clever story and to the “like”...more
Nataliya
Cute. Yeah, we do rely on new gadgets way too much. Yeah, we need to put them down from time to time. But now I feel like a hypocrite since I am reading the book and typing the review on my Mac with my iPhone next to me, and the only reason why I don't have an iPad is that I am a poor graduate student. In my defense my TV is an ancient life form from way before the HD era.

I liked the illustrations - they are what made the book good (in contrast to last year's Go the Fuck to Sleep, a similar sna...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Go Granny Rabbit! You're my hero! The book is called a parody, but the sad thing is that I know people with that many devices. Heck, I have several of them myself (not the TVs or Netflix or Doom, though). It's scary to realize we're headed in this direction, but comforting to know that even the author recognizes the need to unplug herself sometimes.
Nilesh Kashyap
Goodnight iPad is parody of children's beloved bedtime book Goodnight moon. I don't wan't to write a lengthy review of such a short book, which will at most take 5 minutes. Read it here
Our life has changed a lot with all those gadgets surrounding us, and they are like "use me... use me.." So Goodnight iPad act as perfect update of Goodnight moon. Anyway it was just fun from the very first page(from License agreement)
What i found out is a video, it is complete book with narration, but it more fun...more
Adam
Only takes about 5 minutes to read and is pretty darn funny. A bedtime story for the 21st Century. Plus its free.
Lee
Brilliant. OMG did we laugh tonight reading this. Goodnight Moon has been a ned time favourite of my sons for ages. He is also a bit of a tech head and reading this tonight had us in stitches.
Ann Droyd, what a legend. Wondering if we'll finish with this each night now for the next 4 years :).
Kim
A short, sweet book highlighting our dependence on technology and the usefulness of knowing when to put it down.

I say this as I write on a MacBook with an iPhone in my pocket and a Kindle sitting beside me :P
Ronyell
I never thought that I would see the day where there would actually be a parody book done on Margaret Wise Brown’s classic children’s book “Goodnight Moon.” Here, Ann Droyd gives us a parody book of the classic children’s book called “Goodnight iPad” which is “Goodnight Moon” for the current generation and wow, this book is absolutely hilarious!

Set up like the plot in “Goodnight Moon,” the characters in this book is a family of rabbits who are constantly seen playing with all kinds of electronic...more
Kat
Basic plot: Granny rabbit sees (and HEARS) all of the electronic devices around the house and pitches them out the window in an effort to get her distracted family to bed.

I thought this was pretty funny. I grinned through the whole thing and felt almost like I was watching a scene from my own household. I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to chuck my hubby's phone through a window because he was texting at the dinner table. I loved the frustrated/overwhelmed expression on the grann...more
Sherry
Can I give this six stars? I'm partial to satire and parody, and this is terrific! "Goodnight iPad" follows the cadence, rhyme, and illustrated scene sequencing of the original "Goodnight Moon", by Margaret Wise Brown, closely. However, it makes serious fun of our growing addictions to bright, noisy, digital media, and the inherent adult frustration with digital media at bedtime. This book will hit a home run with parents of school-aged kids today. My kids, aged 5 and 11, thought it was hilariou...more
Teresa
Mar 27, 2012 Teresa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teresa by: Sue
I don't even have my own cell phone, and I've never joined Facebook, but I still thought this parody of "Goodnight Moon" (which I've loved for a long time) was great. The last page made the book for me.
Melissa
I went to the bookstore a bit before catching the train home yesterday. I saw this book and I remembered that it was on my TBR list so I picked it up. :D

The book is pretty funny and also relevant to today. I was laughing at some points because the whole thing was pretty funny especially with the pictures. Especially when (view spoiler)...more
Meg ♥

Very cute, short story with a good message. Nice book to read with the kids. Only took me 2 minutes to read, but the illustrations are pretty great.

Here it is for free: http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/good...
Kevin Xu
I'm not sure, but I think the video of the book I just watched on Amazon is basically the whole book.

Also this book really shows how our society needs techology 24/7.
Evan Leach
A fun, high-tech parody of Goodnight Moon, one of my all-time favorites as a kid. Free at http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/good.... 3.5 stars.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This parody of the children's classic Goodnight Moon - will be a hit with fans of Lane Smith's It's A Book. Lots of fun.
David
Goodnight iPad by Ann Droyd, illustrated by David Milgrim is a parody of the classic Goodnight Moon with a focus on today's technology and its increasing encroachment into every aspect of our lives, including bedtime.

This is a humorous satire of today's overly plugged-in culture. Among the many examples are a huge LCD WiFi HD TV, desktop PC's, i-phones, i-Pads, a BlackBerry, MP3's, and a nook. Other details include apps, androids, Facebook requests, texting, viral clips, Doom, Angry Birds, email...more
Keri Payton
It's time to go to sleep...but there are so many technological distractions.

I saw this when I was in a book store with my Mum. We read it then and there. The copy we read was a donated book and we were leaving - but I bought this book as soon as I could. I'm glad I did. It's wonderful.

It had been years and years since I'd read 'Goodnight Moon' and all of my (or rather, most likely my brother's) picture books are packed up in storage back in New Zealand. I wish they weren't because I am finding p...more
Prashant
A small book which opened my eyes to the extent to which we use technologies nowadays. Well, I do not have most of the gadgets mentioned in the book because of student life. But I can't imagine what kind of turn life will take when I take the job. Even now, just with a laptop and internet connection I have to consciously try very hard to make myself to turn off anything and go to sleep. Don't know what will happen when I will get my BB. Huh, I made it sound like it's mandatory to get a BB. That'...more
Nancy
It is so much fun to go back and read children’s books. The simplicity and beauty of the story and illustrations are a joy.

Goodnight iPad is a parody of the much beloved Goodnight Moon book. Those of us who have had to battle teens over shutting down their electronics and just reading a book will find the humor not only in the words, but also in the illustration. And if you look close, even the daddy is a bit troubled by having to give it all up for the evening.

A sweet fun book that you will no...more
Christine
Hilarious. Definitely meant for kids older than the usual "Goodnight Moon" crowd, but I think that even kids who don't remember a time before LCD HDTVs and who don't feel sad when they see the trashcan filled with newspapers as Dad sits in his chair reading his Nook can learn from this book. They probably won't see the humor, but they can still appreciate the value of unplugging for a little while. Everyone in their 20s NEEDS to read this book!
Heidi
Just as the book cover says, this is a parody for older people. And it is a pretty funny parody. My co-worker and I kept seeing various details in the illustrations that made the book either funny or slightly questionable (and still funny!). The lesser known tings that you have to look for (like the copyright info. or the author herself--or I should say himself) are pretty funny. And I absolutely love the very end.
Clare Cannon
Goodnight iPad by "Ann Droyd" is a parody of Margaret Wise Brown's Goodnight Moon; a household of bunnies 'powers down' for the night, switching off phones and computers, TVs and laptops, in order to go to sleep. Simple, not particularly memorable or creative, but the message is apposite.
Elke
A lovely little treat of a story which brought a smile to my face, though it also makes me wonder how far away from this scenario we are today... Fortunately at home real books still rule.
Ian
Wow. The cadence, the pictures, everything. The tone is snarky, but that's why it's funny.

Here's the free book.
Ruthie
Goodnight, electronics...don't you think we should get the message more? Yet the whole world is still plugged in...
Franki Sibberson
I thought this was a fun one--adults will understand the humor. Might start great conversations with kids.
Tracy Mercier
When I recently left for a vacation I found myself saying. "Goodbye, iPad. Goodbye laptop,"
Children's Books: Technology/ IPad book 7 23 Dec 16, 2011 02:48PM
  • Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody
  • How to Babysit a Grandpa
  • It's a Book
  • Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
  • Fall Mixed Up