Start by marking “Judy” as Want to Read:
Judy

Judy

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Based on over 200 interviews and full access to her personal papers, letters, contracts, and photos, as well as the complete cooperation of her children, husbands, relatives, doctors, fellow actors, and directors, this biography explores with candor and empathy the tempestuous, theatrical life of Judy Garland (1922-1969). Here, in all her glory and turmoil, is the singer-a
Published (first published May 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Judy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judy

Meichler
This was a gigantic biography of Judy Garland - at roughly 650 large pages, small print, it took a while to get through. That's okay though. I loved it. It was the type of book you can pick up and put down, while reading other books in between. Judy was based on thousands of interviews and was very detailed, at times it could have been edited better, but overall, it was a fascinating read and really gave insight on Judy Garland, her life, her ups and downs, the people in her world, and ultimatel ...more
Natalie
This is a whopper of a biography coming in at 637 pages, but so far it's good. Very good. Gerome Frank doesn't bog you down with borish details as did Mae West's biographer, Simon Louvish. However, he does cover the necessary details as well as just good storytelling.

He gets to her passions, especially those regarding her men, in a way that doesn't portray her as needy/pathetic (as probably a tireseomely dull feministic critic might) but more as an idealistic romantic:

"She was never to have ve
Dianne
What a life!!! Gerold Frank writes it as though he was there and makes you live it with Judy. I was in awe of her strength and endurance one minute and then disgusted by her selfishness the next. But all the way through you can't help but love her and her great big voice!!! I highly recommend this book - very good read!!!!
Shanna
Oh my gosh, I finished it last night & I cried like a baby! It was an incredible biography and one of the most riveting stories I've ever read. I would have paid enormous amounts of money to have seen/heard her perform!
Herb
The best, most intelligently written life of that incredible legend, Judy Garland. If you read no other biography of her (and there are some you shouldn't), don't pass this by. Incredibly good.
Robin
Great biography on a most gifted entertainer who never had a chance in life. A must read for the Judy Garland fan. Makes me want to get out one of my cd's and listen to her beautiful voice!
Graceann
Nov 30, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Biography Fans
Shelves: biography
In-depth exploration of the brilliant, talented, infuriating legend who was Judy Garland. Well written and remarkably detailed, and a very quick read despite its rather intimidating page count.
Anna
The author does a thorough and entertaining job of telling the story of Judy's life. If you have any interest in Judy Garland, this is definitely worth reading!
Amy Herrington
A massive book, both in page size and length -- certainly not portable, but fascinating. It started off my interest in reading celebrity auto/biographies.
Marla Glenn
I'm just not making time to read these days, and I feel bad about it! Having too much fun buying presents!
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Molly Sparber
Molly Sparber marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
erika brown
erika brown marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Brittany Aker
Brittany Aker marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Laure Porché
Laure Porché is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Tonya Johnson
Tonya Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kurt Schlanker
Kurt Schlanker marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Susie
Susie is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
Cecilia Davit
Cecilia Davit marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
  • Don't Fall Off the Mountain
  • Elvis
  • This 'n That
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
The Boston Strangler The Deed Zsa Zsa Gabor: My Story An American Death U.S.S. Seawolf: Submarine Raider of the Pacific