The Beothuk Saga

The Beothuk Saga

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This astounding novel fully deserves to be called a saga. It begins a thousand years ago in the time of the Vikings in Newfoundland. It is crammed with incidents of war and peace, with fights to the death and long nights of lovemaking, and with accounts of the rise of local clan chiefs and the silent fall of great distant empires. Out of the mists of the past it sweeps for...more
Published January 16th 2002 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Beothuk Saga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beothuk Saga

Mary Soderstrom
A week ago, as a group of Native Canadian young people completed a 1,600 kilometer trek from Northern Quebec to Ottawa, I was reminded of a .book whose ending I knew before I started reading, but which kept me fascinated all the way through anyway. It is The Beothuk Saga by Bernard Assiniwi (translated from French by Wayne Grady, published more than a decade ago, but increasingly relevant.

People who have listened even with one ear to the sad tale of North America's First People know that there...more
Sean
It started out in a cheese romance-novel vein crossed with "Clan of the Cave Bear," not an auspicious beginning. Assiniwi tells three stories, the last of which is fragmented and ends up coming from the European/white point of view, which is not the intention of the book. The other two sections are more interesting-- he makes some imaginative assertions, as he has to (there's so little evidence of Beothuk culture). What at first reads like misogynistic nonsense becomes a prolonged, sincere inves...more
Janice
Amazing storytelling. I can't image the research that was needed to write this book. A story that all Canadians should read. Really.
Harlan Hague
This review contains spoilers: A bold attempt at an account of the life of the Beothuk, the tragic tribe that lived in Newfoundland until they were wiped out by the European invaders. The story is fiction, but the author tries to weave his tale around the little that is known for sure of the Beothuk. A bit wordy and convoluted at times, this nevertheless is a useful and interesting story that runs from the origins of the tribe to its tragic end in the early nineteenth century.
Megan
This was a heavy read. It is broken into three sections, The Initiate, The Invaders and Genocide.
As you can imagine the story just gets sadder and sadder.
I knew from history about the Beothuk people, but this book opened my eyes and my heart.
It is unimaginable to me that humans (ie the English, French, etc.) could treat other humans in such a manner.

Highly recommended read.
Blake
book had it's up and down parts, I liked the first section, it was the most that was a like a story, the rest moved to fast and didn't get much chance to know the char. It was sort of the same thing written over and over. Text was written in a very basic form, not sure if this was due to the translation or ment to imulate the way they though/ spoke.
Sharon Angus
Oh man, couldn't even finish it. Pure crap. I wish it were better, but it just wasn't. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it. Ugh.
Goransle
I usually don't read this type of book so it was an interesting break for me. I find myself becoming more and more interested in historical fiction these days.
Lori
Every Canadian should read this book. And it's not hard; awesome story.
Mary
The tears come in part 3.
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Julie Drucker
Julie Drucker marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Zoe Mitchell
Zoe Mitchell is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Elizabeth Barter
Elizabeth Barter marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Finbin
Finbin marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Thomas Henley
Thomas Henley marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Calvin Daniels
Calvin Daniels marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Marc-Andre Rioux
Marc-Andre Rioux marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Jennifer D
Jennifer D marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Le Bras coupé Ikwe: La Femme Algonquienne Windigo Et La Naissance Du Monde Il n'y a plus d'Indiens Indian Recipes

“Rather then try to conquer your fear through reason, you destroy its source” 0 likes