Start by marking “Just Imagine” as Want to Read:
Just Imagine

Just Imagine

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  4,917 ratings  ·  202 reviews
Published September 4th 2001 by Avon (first published October 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Just Imagine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Imagine

Mo

Believing that Kit's a boy, Cain offers the grubby rapscallion a job in his stable. But he has no idea what he's in for, and it's not long before the hero of Missionary Ridge discovers the truth. His scamp of a stable boy is a strong-willed, violet-eyed be
Didi
Although I haven't had much success with SEP's more recent stuff, or maybe I wasn't in the right mind frame...I really liked this. It had an epic feel to it, made me think of those sweeping romances. I loved seeing Kit transform from tomboy to vixen and finally to a woman comfortable in her own skin.
At first I felt Baron was an ass, but even he grew on me. His past was very depressing and traumatic. He and Kit shared so much yet couldn't seem to agree on anything. But as fate would have it, some
Karen
OMG! LOVED this one! Review to come...
Misfit

Note: this review is based upon the original 1984 edition. It has since been republished as Just Imagine, and from reading other reviews it sounds like some parts have been revised. I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to be sure, but life is too short for that. From Bavr's comments on this review it doesn't sound like much has been changed to make it more PC friendly (that's a good thing).

The guy. Major Baron Cain was driven from his home at a very young age by his cold-hearted ste
Shelly
I was a little wary of this one, knowing how much I love SEP's contemporaries, and this was her first book ever, and a historical to boot. I thought maybe she stayed away from historicals because she may not have been that good. Although this is the revised edition of the original edition, called Risen Glory, so I don't know how much she changed to make it better. Even still, I could tell this was a SEP novel. It had all the same characteristics of her contemporary romance books, just the settin ...more
Flannery
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I enjoyed this, even though I don't care for Antebellum setting at all. I think a shovel was in order for the overbearing hero (to hit him over the head with), though.
ShoSho
I didn't like the H/H much but I enjoyed the book very much . This book reminded me of "Gone with the wind". There were a lot of similarities .
The narrator was great .If I had been reading this ,I probably would have skimmed the second half of the book. She did a great job of mellowing out the hero's asshat tendencies . She made him sound gentle even when he was saying or doing something cruel.
Delos
Muy, muy bonito.
Se nota que es un estilo diferente al que SEP suele utilizar, pero puedo decir que incluso me ha gustado más. Muy descriptivo y situado con gran maestría en un momento histórico muy importante para los EEUU. La importancia de las apariencias sociales que se vivían en esa época están magistralmente representados en la novela con unos de mis personajes favoritos: la "chaperona".
La historia de amor es fantástica y la tensión se vive a pesar de no contener demasiadas escenas erótica
Jane Stewart
Roshio
My first impression of this was that it was an obvious rewrite of Ashes in the Wind, however what I loved was the tension between Baron and Kit. I'm a sucker for love/hate relationships where the tension reaches boiling point. but as always as soon as they get together, I lose interest. A really decent effort by SEP, I didn't realise she wrote historical romance, good stuff!
Dalila.
What a treat I really enjoyed this book.Kit is an interesting character and I was pleased that she did not lose her independence,
This story flowed from chapter one until the end. I especially found appealing how much both Baron and Kit grew by the end of the book.This was five stars for an excellent tale! It will go on my favorites shelf now.
Dalila.
Jamie
No matter what decade, century, or year SEP writes about or the year she wrote it, she just has that extra something to add to her novels that other romance writers can't replicate.
This book was written in 1984. It is written about life in South Carolina in the few years following the civil war. It was interesting to see the South's perspective of the "damn Yankees" and how the cotton plantations worked. I obviously need to brush up on my civil war era. I always like the secondary characters in
Euge_
I always enjoy reading this author. She has a great way of telling a story with a great premise and lots of romance.

The tension between Kit and Baron make for an explosive romantic backdrop.
Both uses their past to hold on to their heart and to control it and never give an inch. It was heartwrenching to see them wanting to love and be loved and to start over but time and time again they destroy each other bit by bit. Both denying their feelings toward each other...they keep trying to escape it:
Elii Vela

Cuando compré este libro no sabía que era histórico. Siempre he visto a SEP como escritora de novelas contemporáneas, así que me llevé una enorme sorpresa cuando ella escribió en el libro, que esta novela se trata de una edición mejorada de una que escribió en 1984 con otro nombre.

Nuestro protagonista, Baron Cain, es un hombre rico, joven y guapo. Un tipo que se ha hecho a sí mismo después de que su madre (la muy bitch) se deshiciera de él a muy temprana edad, ahora es un héroe de guerra (Gue

Tsukushi
I've read Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Kiss An Angel and I loved it so so much that it was one of my favorite books. Sadly, I've only read two of her books, though I loved those very much, I am not at all easily persuaded into opening my adult genre ebooks.

Fortunately, our school library has a copy of Just Imagine and I immediately jumped for it after seeing it in the shelf for everyone to see. As if anyone would prefer an old tattered historical fiction book than the Divergent, Hunger Games, Meg
Tarah
At first I had a hard time really getting into this book, I've read a few books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips but this was the first historical book I had read by her. After she finished introducing the characters and setting you up for the plot line that is when I was pulled in and never looked up. I loved being back in time where women dressed in petticoats and were instructed on how to be a good wife as their soul educational experience.

Even though Kit & Baron stood toe to toe most of the b
Lupdilup Duffy
This is book had such low ratings on Amazon (for a SEP's book) that I had very low expectations, but I must be one of her true fans, I found this book very enjoyable, I know.. I Know.. the main couple was a little annoying at times, I know...they tried so hard to show each other how much dislike they felt for one another that in the process they convinced me too.LOL.
I did enjoy the setting, the secondary characters, the sexual tension runs high and the love scenes are steamy with just the right
Amanda Sheila
I enjoyed it.

Historical romance with special twists that only Susan Elizabeth Phillips could kick it perfectly. Even though it's not as good as her books I've read before, I still liked it.

I don't really connect with the characters in this book. Even the 'side' story, I still find it pretty unsatisfying. I don't really like the Hero because he's so unstable with his attitude towards the heroine. And yeah, I don't really like the heroine too, because she's childish and a bit annoying.

This book
Jennifer The Forgetful Fairy Queen
This book was a refreshing change from my usual Historical romances. (Normally set in England) This book was set in the south a few years after the Civil War. It was not the main focus of the book but it did play some roll in the teetering romance between the Southern Belle/Tomboy of Kit and Northern Man Baron Cain. Two sides of the same coin they battle head to head. At night they set the sheets afire. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Kit grow up in this tale. SEP is a mater storyteller, I highly ...more
Kellie
Love all of SEP's books!
Amelie
Las novelas de SEP, siempre me llaman para que sean leídas por mi, y yo, como buena lectora, voy, las leo y disfruto, porque eso hace que estás novelas sean leídas por mi.
Pero lo más raro es que haya leído un libro de época -de los que no soy una lectora- y lo encuentre interesante y no pare de leerlo hasta el final, en un abrir y cerrar de ojos.
Y por supuesto lo que más llama la atención es los personajes que utiliza SEP, y sean tan atrayentes, porque si que son complicados y muy diferentes, pe
Jesi
This book, Just Imagine, had one the best heroines I’ve ever read in a romance! Kit Weston is a southern girl, but she is no belle. The story starts just after the Civil War when Kit, dressed as a boy (not a costume, but her every day clothes), travels to New York to kill the Yankee Bastard who is stealing her family’s plantation, Risen Glory, out from under her. She is skinny, dirty, swears like a sailor and detests all things girly. Her goal single focus is to get Risen Glory back and restore ...more
Chris
First novel of SEP and her first historical too. :) I like the plot with resemblance of the novel Gone with the Wind and especially her hero & heroine. Worth trying, definitely a keeper. But I liked its first title "Risen Glory", it fits more perfectly than "Just Imagine". Well, just imagine. :D
Divya
2.5 stars.

So...I really like Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I know the books lost some of their allure after the first few (either I read all the good ones first, or they just got repetitive), but even in a book I'm absolutely hating, there's always a point where I'll fall for the romance just a little.

Something similar applies for Just Imagine. No, I didn't hate it - not at all. I liked the writing, and enjoyed the historical atmosphere. The very many awkward situations that Phillips threw in there
Nicol
Aug 28, 2014 Nicol added it
Shelves: unfinished
Okay, I give up.

THIS BOOK ENRAGES ME.

I had this entire long review written but I clicked accidentally away and it didn't save and I don't care about this book enough to write it again so I'll just say:

Kit acts an infantile idiot in the second half of the book, Cain is a *hero* that I'd punch in the face in real life for being an entitled dick and lapses in character obviously aren't a problem when they move the story forward.

I mean, if someone let me simmer in agony that they have a complete con
Jayjay
Aug 02, 2015 Jayjay marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2read-kobo
The War Between the States may be over for the rest of the country, but not for Kit Weston. Disguised as a boy, she's come to New York City to kill Baron Cain, the man who stands between her and Risen Glory, the South Carolina home she loves. But unknown to Kit, the Yankee war hero is more than her bitterest enemy—he's also her guardian. And he'll be a lot harder to kill than she's figured on . . .

Cindy
Post American Civil War romance with sex. Originally published as "Risen Glory". This is a reread for me, but I've only read it one other time.

I don't know. There's something I just don't like about a post Civil War romance. The heroine is always the Southern Belle. The hero is always the despised Yankee (Major, Captain, ect). There's always the angsty "I hate you Yankee" trope that gets so old so quickly. Now that I know better, I try to avoid these stories.

Saying that, this is a well writte
Jo Lawler
I found myself as tortured as Kit Weston, who cleverly disguises herself to get close enough to kill Baron Cain, the 'bane' of her existence. Falling in love doesn't insure these two an easy go of it - quite the opposite, in fact.

Well written, although a bit drug out in places. Full of the twisting humor and tense relationships we expect from Phillips.
  • The Copeland Bride
  • Silver Lining
  • Firestorm (The Bragg Saga, Book 2)
  • Moonstruck Madness (Dominick, #1)
  • Ashes in the Wind
  • Seduced
  • Shadow Dance
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Then Came You (Gamblers, #1)
  • Wildblossom
  • It Must Be Love
  • Almost A Gentleman
  • Dark Torment
  • No Choice But Surrender
  • The Indiscretion
  • Devil in Spurs
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

The Huffington Post says the books of Susan Elizabeth Phillips provide a “gateway drug to the whole [romance] genre,” which she assumes is a good thing. Bookpage magazine calls her “the crown jewel of romantic comedy writers,” which is definitely a good thing. Since she wrote her first novel on a typewriter in her kitchen, her books have been published in over 30 languages
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...
It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6) Kiss an Angel Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7) Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)