Start by marking “Matrimonio Y Moral/ Marriage and Moral (Teorema Serie Menor)” as Want to Read:
Matrimonio Y Moral/ Marriage and Moral (Teorema Serie Menor)

Matrimonio Y Moral/ Marriage and Moral (Teorema Serie Menor)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Bertrand Russell escribio Matrimonio y moral en 1929. A pesar de los anos transcurridos, los presupuestos y fundamentos historicos que analiza, sobre los que se ha asentado la moral sexual occidental, resultan aun vigentes en su mayoria, y solo en algunos casos en los que el autor acude a ejemplos concretos podrian considerarse superados. En la caracterizacion de cualquier ...more
Published June 30th 2001 by Ediciones Catedra S.A. (first published January 1st 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Matrimonio Y Moral/ Marriage and Moral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matrimonio Y Moral/ Marriage and Moral

Ankur
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
As i started reading this 1929 masterpiece from the great Bertrand Russell, this line just kept repeating itself in my brain in a loop!
Ever since i was a teenager, i hv often wondered how come guilt and pleasure are strongly associated in our society – almost everything that gives you pleasure, is a taboo! Leave alone Sexual thoughts (and thoughts were all we can have), even mundane things like talking to friends (wasting time), eating non-veg/chocolates/etc, drinking or even s
Betül
Russell explains the main reasons of why the societies denigrate sex and gives some useful clues to educate children about sex and to prevent the making sex the fixed idea for them. We can say that some of the ideas of the author is not valid for today's society but his point of view for contemporary morals is admirable: "Its not about an individual's getting hold of oneself about sex (because animalistic sexual desires can be transformed into useful actions, especially via education) but gettin ...more
Forrest
Jan 06, 2009 Forrest rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thinkers
Bertrand Russell rocks. The man was one of the last Renaissance men, and this book, written in the late 1920's, addresses the same set of issues that present themselves to society today, many still unresolved.

I'm not sure that I agree with everything that Russell says in all his writings, but as an observer, critic, analyzer, he has few equals and the lucid manner of his writing makes the reader feel smart.

Marriage and Morals addresses marriage as an institution as well as a relationship, and
Erika RS
Marriage and Morals was terrible, but great fun! My margins are filled with disagreeing and occasionally snarky comments. Russell discusses his opinions on the then current state of marriage and on its future.

You may guess that I disliked the book because of the conclusions Russell draws. However, his conclusions were the smaller factor in my dislike. The larger factor is that Russell conveys the attitude that his arguments are so rational as to be indisputable. He never examines the validity o
Alexander Arsov
Bertrand Russell

Marriage and Morals

Routledge Classics, Paperback, 2009.

8vo. vi, 195 pp.

15. The Family and the State
16. Divorce
17.
P.J. Sullivan
Said Russell, "There is no country in the world ... where sexual ethics and sexual institutions have been determined by rational considerations." In this book he suggests that the system in vogue in Western civilization be amended by the application of rationality to sexual practices. This got him into a whole lot of trouble! And what did he mean by rational applications? That is what this book is about. His views were often controversial, but he argued them with formidable logic.

On page 96 Rus
Mitchell
I am now convinced that Bertrand Russell can write about anything. This book is about more than the title suggests - it's a look at the past and future of sexual ethics and patriarchal society in general, as well as marriage in particular. Although some of the theories he cites are outdated (e.g. Freudian psychology), it is amazing how accurate some of his predictions turned out to be.
Michael Christopher
Russell's predictions were a little off, because some trends weren't readily apparent at the time he was writing... but his analysis of some of the problems that were plaguing Western society at the time was as precise as an autopsy, and his work remains relevant as many of those problems are still plaguing us today. It's a shame that his work isn't required reading in more schools.
Michelle
I can't claim to agree with all he says, but the process of re-thinking what is taken for granted is of paramount importance! This is an impressive example by one of the greatest thinkers of recent history.
Jesse Bacon
Wow, Bertrand Russel is a riot! This has a wonderful satirical bite, and works as an open inquiry. Despite his stated rationalist bias, he really is an enthusiastic proponent of love free from at least some assumptions about it. It is of course jarring when he reveals himself to have other assumptions or some sympathy for eugenics (only racial in the case of Blacks and Native Americans, the rest intellectual eugenics!) But really a little sad but impressive how much of his comments have either c ...more
Ollie
Bertrand Russell is well known for being a provocative and controversial writer. While I'm sure this has caused him many "falls from grace" throughout his long life, his writings on marriage and the morals in particular did so in a more concrete way, like costing him a position at the City College of New York.
Reading Marriage and Morals, it can be understood why this happened, as his views are quite progressive for someone writing in 1929.

There are several interesting points brought up in this b
Prithvi Shams
Brilliant book, hard to believe this was written in 1929. This book is the perfect medicament for the disease that is the intensely repressed sexual tension rampant in the societies in the Indian sub-continent and the whole of the Muslim world.
Nachikethas
Every time I read one of Russell's books I am assaulted by a strong feeling of regret that I didn't come across them sooner. Better late than never, as they say. This book is a sparkling companion to "The Conquest of Happiness".
Brian
I have been looking for /Marriage and Morals/ for years. Bertrand Russell is one of my favorite writers and philosophers. The book is legendary as an Ur-text for the polyamory movement. Several witty quotes have come from it. When I found a used American first edition in a second-hand bookstore in Ithaca, I was overjoyed.

After reading it, I was disappointed, but I should not have been surprised. It was not Russell's best and he knew it. He himself considered it a non-academic work intended for
Halil
Kitapta Freud eleştirileri vs. ile Russell bende bir Hıncal Uluç, bir Deniz Gökçe tarzı her şeyi ben bilirim imajı ile iticilik uyandırdı niyeyse. Bu fikirlerimi bastırabildiğim yerlerde Russell'ın durumlara bakış açısının herkes için aydınlatıcı olduğunu düşünüyorum.
Mike Walker
This is not easy reading, especially for those unused to Russell's style. It requires a fair amount of background in English history and literature, particularly the Bible. If you have a great deal of interest and a Google connection, though, all of the allusions and background can be discovered easily. He gives an interesting, though very Russell-esque background to European ideas of the relations between men and women, the institution of marriage, and the responsibilities of parents. Some of i ...more
Emily Iliani
Sadly something is ironically amiss with this one; perhaps because Russell fails (on epic level) to consider various societies that accept 'un-Christian' marital cultures.
Joshua
This book started out great. I found myself agreeing vigorously with ol' Bertie like I always do. Unfortunately, the late chapter on eugenics really detracts from the value of this book, and I found it quite shocking that someone whose writings and ideas I have admired so much could write that chapter. However, I still think this book is worth reading. Russell was way ahead of his time, and he makes many good arguments about the history and future of sex, open relationships, marriage, families, ...more
Anirban Gangopadhyay
Bertrand Russell was far, far ahead of even the current times. The book covers all aspects of marriage and relationships (marital and extra-marital), and is more radical and rational than I could have imagined.

He even speaks of a society where the father (and even the mother) would be irrelevant, and trained professionals paid by the state would take care of the next generation. What an idea, sirjee !
Cynthia
Although the language and treatment of certain subjects is pretty dated, BR applies his clear and concise analysis in this book to what role society should play in our sex lives. His progressive ideas about feminism and patriarchy were ahead of his time - and it's almost painful to read how optimistic he was about the ability of the feminist movement to radically change the lives of working women.
Sean
Not what you'd expect from a 1920's book with this title. But if you know Bertrand Russell, then you'll appreciate the attempt to strip societal mores from one of our most personal life choices.
I skim read, and only looked at sections that interested me. Unfortunately, there isn't a root category for this on good reads, but I'm not going back anytime soon - so it's in "read".
Ziad Cyclonic
In a matrilineal society, family ambition would have to be confined to women, and as women do not do the fighting, such family ambition as they may have has less effect than that of men.
One must suppose, therefore, that the discovery of fatherhood would make human society more competitive, more energetic, more dynamic and hustling than it had been in the matrilineal stage.
I enjoyed reading this. It should be titled “Sex and Society,” which is what the book is really about. There’s a sad and antiquated chapter on eugenics, which is too bad since the rest of Russell’s views were way ahead of his time. But otherwise this was a very interesting book on child-rearing and the role of sex, men, and women in society. A worthwhile read.
Caitlin
Not surprisingly, this is an amazing book. It is clear and concise and all of his arguements are well thought out. His logic is very analytical, but very focused on the humanity of man. It's not a cold hard sort of logic. Some of his book is antiquated in its thinking (ie the part on eugenics), but much of it is still relevant to modern society.
Μαρία
Η σεμνοτυφία των μεγάλων είναι το αποτέλεσμα της αισχρότητας των μικρών.
Ό,τι διδαχτήκαμε με σύμπλεγμα,μυστήριο και κρυφά νοήματα συνδέθηκε με κάτι το απαράδεκτο,περίεργο,πονηρό.
Λάθος διαπαιδαγώγηση,πολλά ταμπού,γάμος και ευτυχία σα να μην πέρασε μία μέρα:γεμάτοι μεσαιωνικές προκαταλήψεις-προλήψεις και φρενοβλαβιώσεις-ξεπνευματοποίηση και σήψη.
Prasanna
The current reader will be surprised to learn that this book was written in 1929. The issues discussed are as relevant today as they were several decades ago. Russell's views as expressed in the book were cited as reasons to disqualify him from teaching at the College of the City of New York in 1940.
Vipin Goyal
Russell has remained my all time favourite writer . This book is an example of his thought provoking writing skills
The sociological issues raised in the book about marrige and prostitution are examined in a scholarly prespective and expertise.
Hats off to Mr. Russell.
Amy
Great book! Philosophically sound and logically reasoned with very interesting examples and research. Gets a little more outlandish and controversial toward the end as the author branches away from observation and starts to make predictions around his theory.
Dan
Apr 25, 2007 Dan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People not yet jaded with Russell
If a person tells me he has been to the worst places I have no reason to judge him; but if he tells me it was his superior wisdom that enabled him to go there, then I know he is a fraud.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
  • Practical Ethics
  • Introduction to Phenomenology
  • The World as Will and Idea: Abridged in 1 Vol
  • A Woman's Book of Life
  • What Is Marriage For?: The Strange Social History of Our Most Intimate Institution
  • The Moral Arc: How Science and Reason Lead Humanity toward Truth, Justice, and Freedom
  • Wifework: What Marriage Really Means for Women
  • Existentialism
Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell, OM, FRS, was a Welsh philosopher, historian, logician, mathematician, advocate for social reform, pacifist, and prominent rationalist. Although he was usually regarded as English, as he spent the majority of his life in England, he was born in Wales, where he also died.

He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1950 "in recognition of his var
More about Bertrand Russell...
A History of Western Philosophy Why I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects The Problems of Philosophy The Conquest of Happiness Religion and Science

“The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widely spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.” 126 likes
“Love can flourish only as long as it is free and spontaneous; it tends to be killed by the thought of duty. To say that it is your duty to love so-and-so is the surest way to cause you to hate him of her.” 50 likes