Start by marking “ Drop By Drop: A Thriller” as Want to Read:
 Drop By Drop: A Thriller

Drop By Drop: A Thriller

"No one puts the crosshairs on Washington, terrorism, and intrigue any better than Keith Raffel. Do yourself a favor and read Drop By Drop!" – Andrew Gross, New York Times best-selling author and co-author of six number one thrillers with James Patterson.

Stanford professor Sam Rockman suffers the crushing loss of his wife in a bombing at San Francisco Airport. Casting abo
Published May 19th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Drop By Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drop By Drop

Fictional Bookshelf
May 31, 2011 Fictional Bookshelf rated it it was amazing
Drop by Drop is truly an amazing thriller that gets you were it counts - your gut. Mine was twisted in knots as I read through the pages with a speed like I’ve never seen before. Keith Raffel, the author, knows how to bait his hook to keep reeling you in until you realize you’re finished with the book.

The emotions of the main character, Stanford professor Sam Rockman, was dynamic and well written. For some of the emotions he goes through after the death of his wife may make you cry. I sniffed a
Shelly King
Jun 01, 2011 Shelly King rated it it was amazing
Truly great read! This is definitely a can't-go-to-sleep-until-I-finish-it book. It's got lots of thrilling plot gotchas, political intrigue, and a main character I'm behind all the way. If you're up for a thrill ride, this book will deliver. I highly recommend it!
Jun 02, 2011 Thoorsell rated it it was amazing
"Drop by Drop" is a sizzler for anyone who likes a political, thrilling and intellectual story. Keith Raffel has the ability to tell a story which keeps you on the edge of your seat. The story opens with a shock and never stops you wondering if you are reading headlines from a national newspaper or another great novel by this distinguished author. By developing strong heroic ties between the characters, this story is a thrilling page-turner. The author gives us an insider look into Washington D. ...more
Bruce D
Jul 01, 2011 Bruce D rated it it was amazing
What an experience. Reading Drop by Drop on my iPhone with the Kindle app (my first time reading an electronic book) was a real screen flipper. I finished it the next day. I was immediately intrigued with its explosive start. Early on, I had a suspicion of who done it, but I wasn't sure and certainly couldn't have anticipated the twists and turns. I concur with everything the previous reviewers have said. In addition, the sex scene near the end was breathtaking; I wouldn't have guessed what woul ...more
Dec 12, 2015 BETSY COLLINS rated it it was amazing
A Good Title for a Good Read

I should save this rating for the "perfect" book.. For my taste this one comes close . I liked the suspense, vocabulary, character development and plot albeit there were parts that were somewhat farfetched. Five years from now I could read and enjoy it again.
Clare Revell
Jun 03, 2011 Clare Revell rated it it was amazing
From first to last, this book is an unputdownable rollercoaster of emotion. From shock to laughter to tears – all in chapter one – this action packed thriller has it all. It’s twists, turns and intrigue as one man struggles to come to terms with his wife’s senseless death and find her murderers, keeps you guessing until the end.
James Saunders
Drop by Drop

A lot better than I thought. The intensity began and I began to be oblivious of distraction. The first half was a little slow and chatty then it changed and the tension began to rise and the drama started to grip my attention. The book ended with a surprise ending to me.
Jun 11, 2011 Scottnewyork rated it it was amazing
DC based thriller ripped, as they say, from the headlines of the day. With unexpected twists at the end. Leaves you waiting to see what happens to the principal characters at the end. Sequel?
Jul 04, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Another page turner!
Dec 23, 2011 Herve rated it really liked it
Drop by Drop is a thriller. Not a Silicon Valley thriller (like his previous dot.dead and Smasher) but a Washington DC thriller. I discovered Keith Raffel while looking for books about Silicon Valley and he is probably the only author who has created his mysteries (at least two) around the high-tech start-up world. [I already reviewed his dot.dead and Smasher].

Drop by Drop is (unfortunately) not about Silicon Valley and start-ups, even if it begins there. The hero is a History professor at Stanf
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
I had this book on my Kindle for quite a while but finally got around to reading it. The jacket info sounded interesting and I was looking forward to it. Now one thing I need to point out is that the book is written by Keith Raffel, an American who has worked for the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee. IT was read by me, a bog standard British woman. The reason I point this out is that if you struggle with American Politics, you may struggle with the initial concept of the book. However, don't l ...more
Debbie Smith
Sep 22, 2016 Debbie Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Hate to rate it less than three stars, just because it wasn't my type of book. The first chapter is good and the writing is good, just not my style, and didn't care for so much politics.
Sep 18, 2016 Beckyhardesty rated it really liked it

A little too slow at the beginning but glad that finished as end is very good. May order another by this author
Nancy Silk
Nov 18, 2012 Nancy Silk rated it liked it
This novel begins with Professor Sam Rockman taking his newly pregnant wife to the San Francisco Airport where she is leaving for a business trip. As Sam is inside the terminal, his wife outside, a car approaches and there is a massive bomb explosion that takes her life. That was the exciting promise of more thrilling scenes to come. But, the promise was not fulfilled. From there the author swings into too much meaningless, mundane dialog that encumbers Washington DC politics and daily affairs. ...more
Jul 06, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery / thriller readers, especially of the political stripe
The right amount of insider's view of Washington mixed with well drawn characters, smart dialogue without being cute, and a believable national security / terrorism story line made this a very readable book, and one which kept me guessing until very near the end.

Only a couple of real negatives mar the praise I'd give the book. One was a jarringly sexual scene that felt like something added on just for titillation value. The author writes well and could have wrapped up the character action in a
Jun 19, 2013 Sher rated it liked it
I kind of don't want to rate this book because it took me forever to read. I just kept putting it off, or reading a little and then leaving it for a while--not my usual MO. I was sucked in at the beginning, and read about half of it before life kept getting in the way of getting back to it, I kept losing track of who the characters were and how they fit into the story. With that said, I did enjoy reading it. I was impressed with the author's vocabulary. Yay for kindle so that I could touch the w ...more
Lynn Farris
Dec 16, 2012 Lynn Farris rated it it was amazing
I found ”Drop by Drop” by Keith Raffel to be an exciting political thriller as well as a fascinating philosophical political treatise. While the political thriller part offered the reader an excellent whodunit, the philosophical discussion is what makes it a powerful book to read. The author handles the philosophical discussion so deftly and evenly, that you can see your beliefs articulated well in the story regardless of what your beliefs may be.

“Drop by Drop” opens with Sam Rockman, a Stanfor
Mark Goodwich
May 20, 2012 Mark Goodwich rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody
I downloaded this book for free on Amazon based on the 4.09 rating overall on Goodreads. I was hoping to find a new author to read. I feel it was worth 3 stars or a little less (price does not matter in my ratings). The storyline was somewhat weak, but the writing style was easy to follow and enjoyed it.

I will not go into the story-line, many other reviews have already done this so I will just rate the book on its elements (0 to 5 being highest):

Protagonist Development: 3
Antagonist Developmen
Mar 28, 2013 kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Maybe 3.5. A great start to the novel, liked the characters, however, somewhere before the middle of the book, storyline became predictable and I would definitely not consider this novel a thriller. I was not on the edge of my seat anxious for the next situation. Good enough storyline, but needed more punch. Too much dialogue.
Jul 23, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller

Again I wish GoodReads would make a
1/2 star as I would give this book 3 1/2 stars not 3. The first chapter got me in a heartbeat but then then the book teetered off for me. It did have its exciting moments though I would not put this book into the category of Thriller by any means, barely suspense. However, it did keep my interest and at the end I enjoyed it
Nancy Anderson
Sep 04, 2016 Nancy Anderson rated it it was amazing
Good action book

The story line included the back office activity that goes on in the Congressional arena. Always an interesting topic to guess whether it is fiction o fact.
bradford t. handy
Jan 21, 2015 bradford t. handy rated it really liked it
Worth the read

Some slow spots, but very interesting learning how Washington works. Lots of characters to keep straight but it all comes together. It picked up midway to a great ending.
Keith Raffel
May 04, 2012 Keith Raffel rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is by me so it's hard to write a disinterested review. OTOH, I thought I'd let my Goodreads friends know that it is free to download at till Saturday, May 4 at midnight. Currently, #7 on the most downloaded list. Why not give it a try? Or suggest it to someone else. Thanks.
Aug 14, 2012 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-book
Another thriller by Keith Raffel. I did not find either of his subsequent books to be as thrilling as his first, 'Dot Dead.' And I read 'Dot Dead' out of sequence. That said, the books are thrilling, interesting, and with some fairly good character development. I do not regret reading them.
Nov 05, 2015 Judy rated it it was amazing
Great story!

Not only is this a captivating story, it is also a warning of what could happen when making rushed decisions prompted by emotions like fear or revenge. I loved it.
Dec 16, 2013 Deb rated it liked it
Pretty good story...kind of skims over everything, nothing deep to this novel at all.... would make a decent hour long procedural on tv.
Shirley McCann
May 12, 2012 Shirley McCann rated it really liked it
This was an awesome book, reminiscent of my fav TV show 24. Popcorn was everywhere by the time I finished. If you like suspense, check this one out.
Jeff Miller
May 11, 2012 Jeff Miller rated it liked it
This could have been a nicely written thriller. Only problem was half way through I new exactly how it would end as the novel politically telegraphed itself.
Clare Coupe
Oct 20, 2012 Clare Coupe rated it it was amazing
Great thriller. Enjoyable read. Would read more by this author.... Only drawback were the typos in the Kindle edition....
Wells Lindsay
Aug 15, 2015 Wells Lindsay rated it really liked it
This was a book that I found off BookBub for .99. It was a good read and I look forward to reading others by him
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • The Ninth District   A Thriller (Volume 1)
  • Capitol Punishment (Art Jefferson, #3)
  • Every Precious Thing (Logan Harper, #2)
  • The Edge Of Trust (Team Edge, #1)
  • 28 Pages
  • Sudden Deception (A Jill Oliver Thriller)
  • Nine-Tenths
  • Capitol Reflections
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • Paydirt
  • Fortunes of War
  • Breaking Cover (Tony Wolf/Tim Buckthorn #1)
  • Never Back Down
  • The Abduction of Mary Rose
  • Knockdown
  • The Third Coincidence (Jack McCall Mystery #1)
As counsel to the Senate Intelligence Committee, Keith Raffel held a top secret clearance to watch over CIA activities. He has also founded an award-winning Silicon Valley software company, taught writing to Harvard freshmen, run for Congress, supported himself at the racetrack, and worked at a DNA sequencing company. These days he stays busy writing his mysteries and thrillers in his hometown of ...more
More about Keith Raffel...