Start by marking “Uma Mulher em Fuga” as Want to Read:
Uma Mulher em Fuga

Uma Mulher em Fuga

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Once Edith Lutz had a life, a husband, and a home. Why did she run?

Edith doesn't want to be found, so she's taken on a new look, a new name, and an anonymous new life in New York City. Hoping to escape her past and start over, she's now working as a live-in housekeeper for wealthy, recently divorced publisher Adam. Edith is a breath of fresh air in her lonely employer's em
Published 2011 by Porto Editora (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Uma Mulher em Fuga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uma Mulher em Fuga

Tiffani Long
Pull up a chair, this may take awhile (and there will be spoilers)...

If you are not currently on nerve medication, it may be a good idea to call for a prescription before reading this book.

While browsing through a bargain bin of books, I was immediately intrigued by both the cover and the synopsis on the back of "A Lost Wife's Tale", so I bought it.

I began reading with hopeful anticipation of what this "lost wife's tale" would be and I was instantly drawn in to the story. The writing at times w
Denise
I picked this book up for a bargain price of $2 brand new, it was small and thought it would just fill the time between books. The first couple of pages certainly didn't grab my attention but such a small book can't be given up on. By the end of it though, I loved it. THis book was fab, it kept me guessing all the way through. A brilliant debut book for a new author, well done.
Lesa
Margarida Cruz
Marion McGilvary estreia-se como escritora com um livro que nos retrata o drama vivido por Agnes, uma mulher assombrada pelos acontecimentos do passado.

Creio que qualquer leitor que olhe para a capa deste livro e leia o título sentir-se-á irremediavelmen te tentado a saber mais sobre esta dita Mulher em Fuga. Afinal, uma boa intriga, repleta de suspense, segredos arrebatadores e personagens perigosamente misteriosas são os elementos mais eficazes na conquista de leitores interessados. E este pri
Sónia
Mesmo tendo lido opiniões menos positivas sobre este livro, decidi lê-lo. Passadas umas páginas, pensei nessas opiniões e em quão certas estavam as pessoas que as tinham dado. Isto porque o início da estória é demasiado confuso. Muitos nomes para uma personagem, muitas referências a diversos locais e uma escrita muito pouco atractiva. Estive mesmo para desistir, mas ainda bem que não o fiz.

Depois de lido, cheguei à conclusão de que o cerne da estória está na sua segunda metade. Um discurso meno
Rhonda
Good one...I kept trying to make this book take place in an earlier era, in my mind, but it takes place fairly recently.

This is one of those books that starts in the middle, only revealing bits of the past as you go along, but it is done superbly, always at the right time, just enough to keep the reader completely engrossed in the story.

We meet Edith Lutz, as she calls herself now, applying for a housekeeper job to a single father in New York City. It's clear she's living a lie, making up her
Denise
Although slow to start this story really fascinated me. While I wanted to see how it all turned out, it is a hard story to walk away from. It is one that has come to mind over and over today wondering what happened next in Edith's life. The main character, is Agnes McBride Morales who we first meet as Edith Lutz, is hiding. She has reinvented herself to take a job as housekeeper though hinting that she has been and could be much more. Marion McGilvary flips back and forth in time filling in the ...more
Suzi
The big secret of A Lost Wife's Tale was easy enough to discern early in the story, but McGilvary kept me turning the pages to find out how it all went down. Agnes/Edith is the only fully fleshed out character, and while she is sympathetic, an entire novel with only one realized character feels somewhat unsatisfying. The issue of rape culture that sits at heart of Agnes' decision to flee Scotland is one that would make for good book club or a feminism-focused literature class. The crux of her pr ...more
Cathy Serpico
I was surprised at how dark this book became, and I loved it for that - it unfolded like an onion from Tim Burton's garden. Edith's voice is biting, honest, frank, and so smart -- her constantly running interior monologue included gems like 'I was drinking white wine, so I had the chardonnay ring of confidence.' McGilvary adapted her original novel to set the American edition in New York, and her edits were exemplary. All in all I didn't want to put this down. Though it's a dense read, the psych ...more
Jenny
Got to page 96 and realised, life's too short! It's written well enough, though narrator, MC Edith (who's not really Edith) comes across as a pretentious smart 'A'. Childhood flashbacks in present tense felt wrong, as did character's Scottish syntax. And even if I could have got past all that - not to mention the over-use of metaphors and similies - the story is simply too boring to stick with any longer.

Thankfully I only paid $10 for this one. Stangely it was on sale less than a year after publ
Lynn
A quite effective effort for a debut novel! I liked the characterization of the two main characters, which was quite mysterious with many unanswered questions. Quite ironic that just as you believe you have hidden your past it can make it's way into your present world with a real punch! I wanted life to be better for Edith, though I was a bit wary of her seeming lack of maternal instinct, though she was only hired as a housekeeper, after all, not a nanny!
Pat
A novel about a middle-aged widow who takes a new name and invents a new history and background for herself then seeks work where she can leave her past behind. She finds a post as a live-in housekeeper for a newly divorced man. Eventually they fall in love and become lovers. Over time her stories begin to unravel and the reader learns about the past that she is running from---a past which is catching up with her.
Anna
The book was a little confusing a first because the author kept switching between the present and the past while introducing characters. I had trouble keeping past and present separate for a while. It's one of those stories where the main character is hiding from events in her past and through events unfolding in the present her past is revealed. It got pretty suspenseful toward the end and I couldn't put it down.
Alan Hughes
This book was a pleasant surprise. Picked, almost at random, from the library when in a hurry I held few hope for it. However, it prove to be an extremely well written book. Genuinely humourous and witty but also managing to keep a taut psychological drama running through its length. I won't give away any spoilers but well worth reading; it won't take long as it will keep you gripped.
Lexi
The book itself was very well written and for about 2/3 of the book I felt as though I could even relate a bit to the character, thinking how she was making it on her own,etc. then when I found out why she left her life, I stopped being able to identify with her and couldn't understand her reasoning in things. Regardless, I enjoyed the book and happily finished it.
Jenny Brown
I picked this book up on a whim and I felt conflicted the entire time I was reading it. It was horribly overwritten and some of the mysteries were clear from the start, but I was so compelled by the main character and the story that I couldn't stop myself from continuing. It was surprisingly, wonderfully dark and never before has a last line stayed with me so long.
Amanda
This was a weird book. I felt compelled to see what happened next and yet the main character is not exactly someone you find yourself cheering for. I think the book ended well in that it left you wondering if Edith/Agnes would have a happy ending. In real life the answer would probably be no so to leave off with some shred of hope for her was nice.
Ingrid
I finished it , but only out of desperation (on a a plane with only Sky Mall as an alternative.) I found the writing clunky, and the main character thoroughly unlikeable. Not that you have to like all fictional characters, but between the novice storytelling and the unreflective and crabby main character, it was a slog.
Jenny Milligan
OK book. Not great as it can be confusing, going backwards in time then forwards again.. you keep reading thinking you'll get the full story of what happened during Agnes's childhood...Disappointing as no proper ending..It just leave you wondering what will happen next...BUT not wondering enough to want a sequel!!
Babete
Pelo resumo parecia mais uma história de amor, mas afinal não tem nada de romance cor-de-rosa e a história desta mulher em fuga é bem real. Fiquei agradavelmente surpreendida, todo o enredo é muito interessante e o final fica na memória, a sua crueza até tem algo de poético!
Lenore
I'm in the middle of this debut novel - she's not bad. Her food writing background resonates throughout the story, and the theme is familiar but fresh at the same time. A woman hiding a secret from her past, taking on a new idenity, and falling in love with her boss. Sound familiar?
Sarah S
Not the greatest book ever written, and there was no real surprise to the reveal of the terrible secret. What made this book so wonderful was the narrator. She's a terrible, foul-mouthed, self-destructive, dishonest person, and I loved her. Maybe just because she swam.
Anita
Plot was ok, but the main character was too annoyingly weak. Some of the author's descriptions were kinda lame, like she was trying too hard. "She crumpled like a weak cracker"? "She thought about doing an Anna Karenina and throwing herself under a car"? Eh, ok.
Linda
This book started out a little slow, but I was interested enough to keep reading. I'm glad that I stuck with the book, because it was well-written. It was not one of the best books I've ever read but worth the time I spent on it.
Harriet
I found the theme of the book intriguing, but became increasingly irritated with the writing style of a difficult subject. At the end, I didn't feel any empathy for the main character and was very frustrated with the ending.
Molly
I loved the author's writing. very frank and descriptive. However in my opinion the 1st half was too much like a fairytale. The 2cd half was too dramatic and harsh. I found myself not liking the main character by the end.
Shannan
This book was a muddled mess. Abrupt plot changes, unsympathetic and unlikeable protagonist, unrealistic leaps of logic, topped off with the worst ending I have read in a long time. Definitely would not recommend.
Elisabete
Not what I was expecting. At first I really wanted to know what happened but as I got closer to the end, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. Despite that, Marion McGilvary did a good job for first novel.
Brandy
This book was hard and sad and somewhat depressing, and I'm still not sure the ending was really an ending so much as the author tired of the poor heroine's horrible life and just stopped typing.
  • Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2)
  • Sunny Days for Sam
  • Blooms of Darkness: A Novel
  • All I Want
  • The Embers
  • Safe from the Sea
  • A Miracle of Hope (The Amish Wonders, #1)
  • Soul