Start by marking “Saddled With Trouble” as Want to Read:
Saddled With Trouble

Saddled With Trouble (Horse Lover's Mystery #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Equal parts suspense and understated contemporary romance, "Saddled with Trouble" is a fast-paced murder mystery that revolves around Michaela Bancroft, a 32-year-old horse trainer whose personal life is quickly coming apart at the seams.

Struggling through an ugly divorce and in danger of losing her southern California ranch to creditors, Bancroft finds her already chaoti
Published June 14th 2011 (first published December 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Saddled With Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saddled With Trouble

Denise
What a fun, horsey mystery!
Thom Swennes
The book begins with the mundane but interesting dialog between Michaela Bancroft and her friend and roommate Camden. This provides the perfect base for an excellent literary soup. Michaela’s deteriorating domestic situation provides the perfect base and soon the murder of her uncle Lou was added to the mix. Lies, deceit, greed and love are added making the mystery even more baffling. The equestrian aspects form a background that succeeds in bringing the smells of hay and manure and the faint bu ...more
Deanna
I didn't see the killer until the end. That is saying something. I read mysteries all the time and I can usually spot who-done-it pretty quickly. However, I was completely off in this one. Way to go, Michele Scott!

On a side review--- My mom LOVED this book. She grew up with horses, so she could relate to that aspect. And has had to deal with ex-husbands who cheat, so again she could relate to that. I have limited horse history (more than some, but not enough to really appreciate that aspect of t
Marilyn
Good

the murders were so sudden and the young woman who was related to the first victim.the the investigation took many twists.
Tammy
A cute little mystery with round characters and a bumbling Miss Marple wanna be. It's a fast read and pretty good summer mystery.
Phair
Not the best horse mystery I've read. The cover is misleading- it looks to be an English or East coast setting but is rather California and Quarter Horse/Reigning & rodeo. It was a quick read with plenty of suspects & relationships to explore. The horse stuff was OK- not a lot of detail but adequate. I tend to read author notes and extra stuff at front or back before starting a book but stumbled into the epilogue by mistake and read a spoiler before I noticed so that blew the 'mystery' ...more
This was a fairly entertaining read. The mystery was wrapped up in quite a few red herrings and any number of characters could have been the whodunit, so it definitely kept me thinking.

I wasn't too fond of some of the stereotyping or the fact that the book ended with far too many loose ends (though it seems that the story may continue through multiple books?), but I did enjoy the focus on the horse world.
Patty
Nov 23, 2008 Patty rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This book was really disappointing. It read as though it were written by a young juvenile who didn't have much experience with how people actually talk in the real world (or maybe just doesn't know how to write their conversations out?) The plot was okay but trying to get past the bad dialogue was not really worth the effort. I won't be looking for any more books by this author.
Jan
If you like horses, you enjoy this series, this being the first book. Horse trainer, Michaela Bancroft, has worked hard to gain a reputation in a man's world for showing and breeding quarter horses. Her ex-husband leaves her for a rodeo queen and Michaela's uncle provides proof of his philandering. Uncle winds up dead and it goes downhill for Michaela from there.
Kayla Sloan
I have read the others in the series already (even though this is supposed to be book one). They were good. Because I read them out of order, I find that this book is providing a lot of background knowledge about the main character, some of which I already know and some of which is helpful in understanding the two I have already read.
Shawnee
I think I read this before. quick read.
Andy Plonka
I'm not really into the amateur sleuth gig but I like horses and thought I'd give this a try. The plotcenters on Artificial Insemination in horses. It is pretty easy to guess the perpetrator and the author doesn't make you think much. She gives too much information.
Holly
A pleasant surprise! I'm not much into the QH scene, and the last couple series like this I've tried to get into have been disappointing, so I wasn't expecting much out of this other than a "horsey" read. Got much more. I hope the sequel is as good!
Jen
Quick cute story. I want to see where the characters go from here in the next book. Too many options in the killer department for my taste though.
Angela
This was a very easy read. Good mystery story, with details about horse training (which i really liked). The book kept me interested and was surprised at the ending. I'm excited to read the next 2 books in the series.
Sue
I discovered this book, the first in the Horse Lover's Mystery series while I was browsing in a book store while on vacation in Chicago. It was an enjoyable and fun book to read.
Charles Sheehan-Miles
A light, quick and enjoyable read. First book I've read by Michelle Scott, but I'll be picking up more.
Helen Taylor
B.
Good story. Well written. Good background of horse industry.
Jen
i liked this book but I prefer her wine mystery series.
Cassie
How can I read this after I mark it as to read?
Rumeur
Rumeur marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 28, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Connie Anderson
Connie Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Domonique
Domonique marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
  • Killer In The Hills (A Jack Rhodes Mystery)
  • Courage of Fear
  • Unbridled Fury (Thoroughbred, #62)
  • Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4)
  • Pleasure Horse (Saddle Club, #51)
  • The Wicked Flea (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #14)
Michele grew up thirty minutes east of San Diego in an area called Jamul. It was out there in the country that her parents bought Michele’s first horse and she learned how to ride at five. At nine years old she knew she loved to write and one day wrote a short story that she showed to her dad. She’d written it on one of his legal pads. After he read it, he looked at her and said, “You are a writer ...more
More about Michele Scott...

Horse Lover's Mystery (3 books)
  • Death Reins In (Horse Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Tacked to Death (Horse Lover's Mystery, #3)
Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1) Happy Hour Murder by the Glass (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #2) Covert Reich Silenced By Syrah (A Wine Lover's Mystery #3)

“or— and this was a thought she hated” 0 likes