Fire Engine Dead (A Museum Mystery #3)

Fire Engine Dead (A Museum Mystery #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  34 reviews
When the entire collection of the Fireman's Museum ironically goes up in flames, Nell Pratt discovers one of the charred pictures isn't the one that was originally exhibited. But getting to the bottom of the mystery is bound to get Nell burned...
Published March 6th 2012 by Berkley

Fred
The third book in A Museum Mystery series. I really enjoy this series and the behind the scenes work at a museum.

Nell Pratt, president of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society, is asked by Peter Ingersoll the head of the Fireman's Museum any information her museum may have on his. The Fireman's Museum is undergoing renovation and all of their displays and papers are in a storage warehouse that has just had a fire. About the only thing that wasn't completely destroyed in the fire was an old hand-p...more
LORI CASWELL
Nell Pratt, the new president of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society, is busy trying to hire staff and keep The Society running in these hard economic times, but when The Fireman’s Museum loses most of it’s collections to a fire she realizes things could be much worse. She tries to help by gathering all the information The Society has about local fire history to help them tally their losses and file an insurance claim. It is a picture that makes Nell understand there is much more to the story t...more
Ellen

Fire Engine Dead (A Museum Mystery)
~Berkley
(8)
A great author with storyline drawbacks, May 15, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: Fire Engine Dead (A Museum Mystery) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my 3rd in the Museum mystery series. I loved the first 2 and can truly get into the situation due to this creative and original author.
In this latest entry Nell Pratt, the new President of the Pennsylvania Antiquarium Society, has been asked to assist in finding the arsonist t...more
Amelia-Irene
This is the third book in the Museum Mystery series. What makes it enjoyable is that the author is sprinkling some history in the books, also makes you realize that if dear old Aunt Maude and Uncle Henry have some diaries or journals or other pieces of history laying about, before you throw them out in the recycling, you might want to see if some museum might have a use for them....

A local fire museum is being remodeled and all their stuff is in storage in a warehouse. Then the warehouse catches...more
Mirjam
I remember being somewhat disappointed after reading the first book in the Museum Mystery, Fundraising The Dead. It was ok, but I had expected to love her Museum series as much as her Orchard series and I did not. However, it was not bad, so I stuck with it. Now that I have read the third book, Fire Engine Dead, I can honestly say that it may have taken me awhile, but now I do love this series!

Nell Pratt, president of the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society in Philadelphia, is the heart of this my...more
Grey853
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oh, I did like this novel. We had action, suspense, romance, and learned a great deal about fire and suppression of fire.

There is a possible Arsonist at work in Philadelphia, PA. When a warehouse filled with memorabilia and a rare fire engine from a Fireman's Museum is attacked and the watchman killed. Nell Pratt, the President of the Pennsylvanian Antiquarian Society is asked to talk with her peers for any inkling of what is going on by the FBI, in the person of Nell's prospective boyfriend, J...more
Penny McGill
Just as wonderful as I knew it would be. I kept this book for certain evenings when I wanted to dip back into the world of Nell and her museum. Nell's home and office always seem like places I want to visit and of course I know I would enjoy spending a lunch hour with her (as she does with her charming love interest FBI agent James Morrison).

Sheila Connolly is one of my absolute favourite cozy writers. They always make perfect sense to me. Nell will always have friends and colleagues who come to...more
Cris
Fire Engine Dead is smoother than the first two books in the series.

One of the potential weaknesses of a cozy mystery with an amateur detective is coming up with reasons for the amateur to become, and stay, involved in the mystery. I think Connolly avoided that weakness in Fire Engine Dead. Connolly integrated the mystery into Nell's life more believably than in past books. The reasons Nell becomes, and stays, involved in the mystery seem reasonable and flow in believable way from her job and h...more
Terri
Nell Pratt runs a nonprofit in Philly. And after a fire destroys the collection of the local Firemens Museum, she gets involved in discovering who the arsonist is via her conenctions inthe museum community.

Connolly does a great job telling the history of firefightingfrom Benjamin Franklin on. It is a subject I have always been fasincated by since the insurance agency I worked for back in the late 90s/early 90s. They had their own fire musuem of historical items that firefighters came in for oth...more
Debbie Heaton

In Connolly’s mystery novel, the police are scrambling over a series of warehouse fires and the search for the arsonist. The search intensifies when valuable pieces in storage belonging to the Fireman’s Museum are torched, and a security guard is killed in the inferno. But a picture in the newspaper of the museum’s 1825 horse-drawn hand-pump fire engine catches Nell Pratt’s attention. Although damaged beyond repair, the vehicle clearly does not match the museum’s records of the original. Questio...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
There were a lot of things to like about this story: the character interaction, the plot, the setting. Overall I enjoyed the story, it was a nice, easy, enjoyable read. But it's missing the fourth star I'd like to give it due to an excess (imo) of introspection, or "contemplation" on the part of the main character - I found myself just outright skipping over those parts. And finally, the main character still comes across as a bit wooden and two dimensional - I see attempts at humour being made,...more
Nora-adrienne
I didn't get to read this book when it first came out. I wasn't able to acquire it from any of my usual sources. I'm so glad that I found it in one of my local libraries. I love the series and it is fantastic how Nell is growing as a person, a leader, and a main character... Jimmy sure doesn't hurt the story either.

I'll be watching for the 4th book in the series to appear and will be a lot more diligent in getting hold of it more quickly.
Sandybear76
Jun 02, 2012 Sandybear76 added it
Shelves: mysteries
Nell is still trying to fit into the museum's President role. She attends a luncheon where other local museum staff members are also attending. Later, the museum world learns of a tragic fire for the small Fire Museum. The Fire Museum's director asks Nell to have info in the Society's collections that would help him replace his own collections. And James, Nell's FBI friend, asks Nell for info on the museum people too.
Marge
The only difference in this book from the previous 2 is the spotlighted museum. Nell goes to lunch/dinner/drinks its the only interaction she has outside the museum. James calls asks for help, then says don't get involved. Marty talks incessantly about the Terwilliger collection. Nell frets. Time to move on. Does Nell not have any friends? Can she not do anything in a social environment outside of museum affairs?
Darlene Ferland
This book, Fire Engine Dead, really engages the reader in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania's history. Museums are fascinating and Ms. Connolly drawers together firefighters, the FBI, everything related to the successful workings of museums and the police in a great read. She educates as well as entertains. Now I am not sure which of her mystery series I enjoy more - no wait, it's a tie!
Paula
This third in the series is an enjoyable story, with facts about the origins fire fighting in Philadelphia thrown in, as well as the mystery. Looking forward to seeing which museum or historical society will find the next body in book #4.
Maura
This is one of the few mystery series I really like. The setting in Philadelphia is interesting since I know a little bit of the area, and the museum connections are intriguing. Intelligent characters and fairly believable situations.
Daniele
I found this book to be so repetitive, and the story stalled more than once when it went on and on about grant writing and fundraising. I enjoy learning about the behind the scenes workings of a museum, but this was boring.
Nicole
Easy-reading light mystery with some interesting Philadelphia history thrown in. I've never read any of the books in this series or by this author but it was a perfect pick for vacation beach reading.
Hillary
Good entry in the series - Nell's romance with James continues and the mystery is sufficient to sustain the plot. It isn't overdone, but enough museum details emerge to enlighten the interested.
Jenna
Another enjoyable installment to this series. The villains came a bit out of left field, but the read was fun along the way and I gobbled the book up in a day! Next?
Lori
I enjoyed the third book in this series, and I will keep reading them. I do like the characters more in the Orchard books, but these people are growing on me.
Sue
I liked the beginning and the end but found it dragged a bit in the middle. I prefer her Orchard series better.
Erika
Jun 29, 2012 Erika added it
This series is too fun ... so much in there for the museum/archives folk, as well as a good mystery!
Jessica
I should have stopped after the last one. Not going to continue this series. It was too long and dull.
Shelby
I love her Orchard mysteries, but her museum series is slow. SLOW. I'm not sure I'll read another.
Mark
a great who done it for fire buffs and history buffs. Now i need to read the rest of the series.
Linda
Best of the series so far. Interesting and I learned a little history, too.
D
Another solid mystery with the Nancy Drew of Philadelphia museums: Nell Pratt.
  • The Walled Flower (A Victoria Square Mystery #2)
  • One Book in the Grave (A Bibliophile Mystery, #5)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery #3)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Buried in a Book (A Novel Idea Mystery #1)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Beef Stolen-Off (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #2)
  • A Killer Read (An Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Murder on the Half Shelf (A Booktown Mystery, #6)
  • Murder Unmentionable (Sweet Nothings, #1)
  • The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4)
  • Gem of a Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Murder on the House (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Die Job
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
Sheila Connolly has taught art history, structured and marketed municipal bonds for major cities, worked as a staff member on two statewide political campaigns, and served as a fundraiser for several non-profit organizations. She also managed her own consulting company providing genealogical research services. Now a full-time writer, she thinks writing mysteries is a lot more fun than any of her p...more
More about Sheila Connolly...
One Bad Apple (Orchard Mystery, #1) Rotten to the Core (Orchard Mystery, #2) Fundraising the Dead (A Museum Mystery, #1) Red Delicious Death (Orchard Mystery, #3) Buried in a Bog (A County Cork Mystery, #1)