Start by marking “Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)” as Want to Read:
Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)

Daring (Kris Longknife #9)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,485 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Lieutenant Commander Kris Longknife leads a Fleet of Discovery on a reconnaissance of the vast uncharted regions of space. No one, least of all Kris, expected them to find an alien starship, certainly not one that came out shooting. Faced with a shoot first and ask no question situation, Kris shoots back, blowing the ship to bits.

Half a universe away from her superiors, fa
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Daring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daring

**THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS**

FINALLY!! This series started off rather lukewarm, but with a teasing sparkle that persuaded me to carry on. Once I hit Books 6-8, though, I was seriously getting ready to pack it in and give up on the promise of that little something special that seemed to be peeking out at me from the pages every now and then. That promise is finally fulfilled here in Daring.

For all that many of Shepherd's chronic writing and style issues still make appearances - if one more p
Laz the Sailor
This has all the elements of a classic Longknife spare-opera - on steroids. The bad-guys are worse, the politics more convoluted, and our heroine survives with her skin intact, though at great cost.

This is the start of a new story arc, so there is a "To be continued..." at the end. But that's OK, I'll read it soon.
Unwisely
Oh. My. Gods. It's all your favorite characters back again...this time with brain transplants. Several people behaved in ways that were inexplicable ((view spoiler)), annoying-Cara is still there (yes, all the reasons make sense, fine, put her in an aside, stop focusing on her. I want quasi-military SF, not angsty early teenager whininess).

The copyediting was as craptacular as they've been - he is enti
Nathan
I've enjoyed the previous nine books in the series and have enjoyed watching Kris Longknife grow as a person and the plot and universe grow alongside her. This book transitions from the direct political intrigue of previous books and makes a dip back into high adventure while still maintaining the complex multi-book metaplot that causes me to enjoy the series in the first place.

Humanity is in danger and it's going to take one of THOSE Longknifes to do what needs to be done.

Worth a read, but you
Stephen Graham
She did use the gun. Again, more of a coherent novel than most of the entries in the series. Moscoe is accomplishing his purpose: he's extracted more money from me and will likely continue to do so. You can see what could be the series limned in books we have: solid exploration of the mystery of the three and the search for intelligent life in the universe. But much of what actually happened within the novel could have been accomplished without dragging in the large ships or some of the other me ...more
Randy Mccallum
The next installment in the Longknife universe takes us into uncharted territory- literally. This is an enjoyable series and if I had any complaint as a reader it's the lack of hard science in the series, although I understand that the author comes from a naval background not a scientific background. He does a lot with his military background and gives the reader a good feeling of what military structure could be like in the outer reaches of space.
I also enjoy that the author, much like George
Dee
This was great stuff full of action but I had a few issues with some of the new character representations. I'm just not sure I believe the colossal u-turn a supposedly career military man like Kratz makes in this book. A drunken outburst is one thing but the following sober actions are not really believable to my mind. However I enjoyed the new direction we take here and the I found the big bad aliens quite chilling. (view spoiler) ...more
Steven
Daring felt like the book in the series that represented a change. I have read and enjoyed all the books in the Kris Longknife series. Some of the books held my attention more than others. The last book before Daring was less successful for me. I actually like the Cara subplot more than some other reviewers in that past book. Many other reviewers noted the different feel of Daring. I don't know exactly why it felt different. Daring is my favorite in the series at this time. It had the elements I ...more
Colleen
I dropped into this series in what I found out is book 9, with a cast of characters that was full of backstory and a sprinkle of commentary about things that have already happened. I have to give Mark Shepherd a lot of credit for building a book that I could jump into without feeling like I had missed out on anything. He gave me just enough backstory to understand without weighing down the story or slowing down the plot. The characters were likable, personable, and understandable.

This starts as
Mieneke
Daring is the latest entry to the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd. Kris is the one who convinced me that I could read, like and understand SF, so a new Kris Longknife book is always a cause for celebration in our household, especially as my husband is a big fan as well. So when I saw Daring was out, I decided this was what Wiebe wanted for Sinterklaas and got it for him and then didn't wait for Sinterklaas to get here before reading it (for those who're not familiar with him, Sinterklaas ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Kris Longknife: Daring is the 7th book in this series. I was attending a panel where Mike Shepherd was talking about the Kris Longknife series. He said that he decided to write a series with a female protagonist after his granddaughter was born. He wanted her to have books with main characters she could identify with.

The Kris Longknife series certainly meets the requirement for a strong female main character. In Daring Kris is sent off to try to find the aliens that are destroying the Iteeche s
Chuck's Junk
A disappointing addition to a series that built it's reputation as lighter-than-air pulp space opera. Kris Longknife is a fun protagonist, headstrong scion to the richest and most powerful family in the galaxy, a wise-ass who never read a rule--or got an order--she couldn't help but break. There is more at stake in this book than in any of the others, yet Kris and her sycophantic band of underlings have inexplicably developed a severe case of "the Next Generation Blues." Remember how in the orig ...more
Nancy
Lieutenant Commander Kris Longknife leads a fleet toward a region of space where ships have mysteriously vanished. Her worst fears come true when they discover an apparently invincible enemy. However, this enemy has yet to encounter a Longknife. Kris challenges the planet killers and snatches a couple of their people to take home: babies, left adrift when their parents died in battle. Instead of the bug-eyed monsters she’d expected, this race looks human. Who are they and why won’t they respond ...more
Andreas
United Sentients, led by Wardhaven, takes action to find the cause for the Iteeche ships that are disappearing, a topic introduced in Undaunted. Kris, as commander of a patrol squadron, is ordered to lead an exploration into very deep space. Various other states, prominently including the Greenfeld Empire, decide they need to go along. Kris finds herself in the lead of a rather large fleet of exploration, though not in command. The political machinations make her life complicated. The main actio ...more
Ove
Bringing Neutronium to a Gun Fight

Kris Longknife is one of my guilty pleasures. It is about one of those Longknifes. Kris always gets into trouble usually on her grandfather’s instigation. She usually gets out of it by herself with the help of a few colorful friends. This time she teams up with her new frenemie Vicky who brings a few battleships to the alien exploration that Mike has teased us with the last two three books.

This is a turning-point novel in many respects in Kris life with her fami
Bookstooge
Daring - Mike Shepherd

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer.

For the rest of this review, please visit:
John Carter McKnight
The Kris Longknife series has been favorite space opera fluff since its beginning, but with Daring, the series gets hardcore.

The last book had seemed a gassy bit of filler, a distraction from the interesting long arc of rapprochement between the humans and their generations-past former adversary, the Iteechee: it showed the worst side of Shepherd's writing, with a down-to-the-page formula of setup, pitched battle, plot complications and set-piece battle.

Here, Shepherd steps up his game as a wr
Barbara
Well, this is more like it--at least right up to the end. It is the ending that keeps this one from being 4 stars.
Kris and company finally meet up with really nasty aliens and it does not go well.
Lots of action and drama, with Kris having to face some hard choices. The stakes are really high this time, and glory be, she actually thinks and acts like a mission commander. It's about time! Oh, and we actually get a bit of action on the Kris/Jack romance front, too.

However, the ending was a big "wha
Tim
I so wanted to give this 5 starts - we're back to the big space battles, the epic chases halfway across the Galaxy (big echoes of Jack Campbell's Lost fleet series - heck, Shepherd even has Jack Campbell captain of the Dauntless as a character!)

We lose some of the good guys too, which is sad, but things were starting to feel way too safe, especially as we were continually reminded that people who hang around a Longknife often wind up dead.

But

Is there some brain transplant device we were not prev
John
Military space opera, with soldier/princess as central character. Here she leads an exploratory expedition to check out invaders--who look human but inhabit independent warships the size of major moons and kill everybody else they encounter out of hand. As an interior episode in a continuing series it stands relatively well alone despite being full of references to previous events and ending in mid-stride with no feeling of resolution. The author doesn't pay much attention to internal logic (the ...more
Sho
Another action packed, great dialogue filled Kris Longknife story. Lately I was feeling the volumes were one half continuation of the previous storyline and the other half the next storyline. But in this book the story is dedicated to find the BEMs(Big Eyed Monsters), kill them and get back home.

As usual Kris finds herself in heap of trouble and barely finds her way out. I hated loosing some people I have come to like during the past novels, but that's the price you have to pay when you associa
Kerry
I usually enjoy the Longknife books BUT the ending of this book completely spoilt it for me

**Spoiler alert**.

Kris is taken off the WASP and sent back to Wardhaven to face... What??? The build up is that she is going to be blamed for instigating a war and locked up. What happens instead? She yells at her grandpa (again), gives a very short and crap debrief, is offered a new mission and then storms out the door. No lock up pending review of what happened, no being forbidden to speak with anyone,
Eero
What book holds: Deep space exploration, hostile aliens, space battles, techno jargo and adds more depth to characters. And Jack and Kris romance takes goes to new level.

Good things: Deep space exploration is nicely descripted to be boring and exciting at same time. Hostile aliens are nice mystery. Techno jargo is believable enough.

Ok things: Space battles could have been more exciting, but they were good enough that they don't bother reader. Characters get more depth in this book, but sometimes
T J
Kris Longknife as her hands full of aliens and mutiny, how she handles them is awesome to behold. Another good space adventures unfolds in Mike Shepherd's sequel to his National Best Seller: Redoubtable.
Mitchell
Book 9 of an ongoing series. This is the first book I've read by this author and I read it as part of the Endeavour Award. The first 100 pages were essentially boring. But after that the plot thickened a bit. I liked what he did with his bad guy aliens. And the author certainly knows how to write a cliffhanger ending. I didn't appreciate our protagonist being the Princess. Call it 3.5 out of 5 and year I'd read the next book as part of the Endeavour and maybe I'll try the first book some day if ...more
Curtiss Martin
Excellent space opera. How much trouble can one woman find? Plenty, if she is one of Those Longknifes. Nove-Noga!
Sandy
May 29, 2014 Sandy marked it as other-adult-books  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, series
Normally I love this series, but I am just not sure I loved this book...
Dan
Very good, this was the best of the series, so far!
Per Gunnar
This was probably the best book in the series altough I'm afraid that doesn't say as much as one would want it to.

Finally we got some, almost entirely, space bound action instead of the dirt side one in the other books and the usual politics BS is a lot more absent than in the other ones.

Of course they had to shove some of the booring political bickering in at the end whith that ridicolous "arrested for crimes against humanity" nonsense but luckily that passed quickly enough.
McKenzie
Woo! I especially liked this book, compared to the series as a whole. Daring is more of a space opera, and it gets pretty dark at times. You thought Kris had it bad before? Nope. For a Longknife, there is always worse, and in Daring things get pretty rough for everyone—humans and aliens alike.

I am pretty disappointed in myself for not making sure I had the next book in the series on hand to read immediately. I cannot wait to read what happens next!
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • Valor At Vauzlee (A Galaxy Unknown #2)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington, #12)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • Victorious (The Lost Fleet, #6)
A pseudonym used by Mike Moscoe.

Mike was born in the Philadelphia Navy Yard Hospital -- and left that town at the age of three days for reasons he does not presently recall. But they had to draft him to get him back there. He missed very little of the rest of the country. Growing up Navy, he lived about everywhere you could park an aircraft carrier.

Mike was one of those college students who didn'
More about Mike Shepherd...
Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1) Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3) Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5) Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2) Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)