Start by marking “Soccer Dad: A Father, a Son, and a Magic Season” as Want to Read:
Soccer Dad: A Father, a Son, and a Magic Season

Soccer Dad: A Father, a Son, and a Magic Season

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The true story of Wetherell's high-school-age son's winning soccer season. The candid reflections of a devoted father and the enthusiastic observations.
Published (first published September 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Soccer Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soccer Dad

Rick
I have two sons who played high school soccer and a 3rd son (with Downs Syndrome) who played adaptive soccer. So i had a high level of interest in this book. And, I felt some deja vu in several of the anecdotes that Wetherell related as I attended darn near all of their matches over the course of their playing careers from kids soccer through their senior years.

Yet I found this book failed to fully satisfy me.

Maybe Wetherell was too close to his subjects and the team. It would have been intere
Dean Miller
Anticipating more soccer and less scenic descriptions, I found myself skimming parts of the novel to find the story of an undefeated season and the roller coaster ride that often brings.

Instead there was much commentary of driving to locations, background character details which did little to engage this reader.

The soccer team and its march to the state championship match is almost an afterthought, which may have been the author's goal. I may have been anticipating a different story here and as
Brian
I know why I put “Soccer Dad” on my list – the title and the price. But I don’t think I really knew what I was getting into when I bought it other than it was about soccer. That seemed like enough of a reason for me.

But W.D. Wetherell‘s commemoration of his son’s final season of high school soccer ended up justifying my decision even if I had moments where I wanted to just give up.

Read more here
Kristi Blatz
As a soccer mom and wife, I spend an inordinate amount of time on the sidelines. I enjoyed this account of a father chronicling his son's senior year, three time state champion season. While I agree that the writing itself is not stellar, the sentiment expressed from father about son is heartwarming .
Perry Allison
As a hard core soccer Mom, I thought this book was great. It is a real inside story for a Father and his son, the soccer player and a fabulous season.
It will ring most truthfully for parents who been on the sidelines, cheering on their players from the U8 all the way to college.
Rick
I really enjoyed this book. My own son recently had his High School Soccer season and this book tells the story of the realationship of a boy and his dad during the final soccer season of high school.
Ashleigh Cramer
I wasn't in the mood for this book I guess. It was well written but kind of slow.
Jack
An interesting look at a soccer season in New Hampshire. Enjoyable, but not remarkable.
Amee
Amee added it
Jan 27, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Andy Noise
Andy Noise marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Alexander Adkins
Alexander Adkins marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Alex Vega
Alex Vega marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Andy Hollums
Andy Hollums marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Mike Litoris
Mike Litoris marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Breanna
Breanna marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A Century of November The Bass, the River and Sheila Mant (short story) The Man Who Loved Levittown Vermont River Yellowstone Autumn: A Season of Discovery in a Wondrous Land