Start by marking “The Gorilla Man and the Empress of Steak: A New Orleans Family Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Gorilla Man and the Empress of Steak: A New Orleans Family Memoir

The Gorilla Man and the Empress of Steak: A New Orleans Family Memoir

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Gorilla Man and the Empress of Steak is the story of two larger-than-life characters and the son whom their lives helped to shape. Ruth Fertel was a petite, smart, tough-as-nails blonde with a weakness for rogues, who founded the Ruth"s Chris Steak House empire almost by accident. Rodney Fertel was a gold-plated, one-of-a-kind personality, a railbird-heir to wealth fro ...more
Published September 2nd 2011 by University Press of Mississippi

To ask other readers questions about The Gorilla Man and the Empress of Steak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gorilla Man and the Empress of Steak

PLM
Ruth Fertel who founded the famous Ruth's Chris Steak House dynasty was raised very near where I raised my own children and currently still live.
Her brother, Sig owned a great restaurant where members of my own family worked at times.
Ruth's husband Rodney was New Orleans eccentricity at its craziest.
Randy Fertel is their son and tells a thick, spicy gumbo of a tale that is at times so sad I have had to put the book down. It is the story of a Louisiana family thick with Shakespearean drama!
I dr
Megan
Randy Fertel, son of Ruth Fertel of Ruth's Chris Steak House fame, wrote a biography of his rather dysfunctional family. Besides answering the question of how the restaurant got its fairly awkward name, I learned a lot about New Orleans. The Fertels certainly had a history of odd and strained family relationships, and Randy's father comes across as just shy of insane, so there's a lot of drama to pull in the reader. Fertel has a tendency, unfortunately, to delivery very plodding sentences to des ...more
Clairissa D
This book is a memoir text about the Fertel family in New Orleans and it is also about the history of New Orleans as well. In the text I noticed the author used the drawing out the hot spot throughout the text when certain parts were significant to the readers understanding of the characters and the importance of certain things with in the text. This text would good to use for examples not necessarily for the students to read because it is well above the majority of the students reading levels.
Sharon
Given my family lived in New Orleans in the late 50's and I so easily remember how the city, particularly the French Quarter , was then, how could I not enjoy this book. The memories of Audubon Zoo and Park, totally different entities than today, were worth the read. Beyond that, the politics and social mores were interesting, as the lady herself, and her close to insane husband. The tolerance of New Orleans politicians to "The Gorilla Man" says it all.
Gail
I almost feel guilty about this book because I had made a special request for my local library to order it (nobody in the entire county had it). I read 114 pages and then quit. I never even got to the part where the author's mother bought a restaurant(Ruth Chris Steak House). The storytelling is all over the place and it drove me nuts. His parents were quite interesting characters but I couldn't stand the writing.
Mary
Randy Fertel takes the reader on an open and honest tour through the lives of his parents, Rodney Fertel, a colorful and flamboyant character of independent wealth and his mother, Ruth Fertel, the powerful woman and creator of the sizzzzzling Ruth's Chris Steakhouse franchise. Great read!!
Debbie Waggoner
I can't seem to finish it. Not as good as i hoped.
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
M Byr
M Byr marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Seven
Seven marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Ilan
Ilan marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013