Start by marking “The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)

The Red Wyvern (Deverry #9)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,684 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Katharine Kerr's richly imagined cycle of novels set in Deverry and the Westlands has earned a devoted following--and a reputation as the finest Celtic fantasy being written today. Now she returns to Deverry's war-ravaged past....

In a kingdom torn by civil war, young Lillorigga seeks to shield her dawning powers from her cruel mother Merodda's manipulation. Mistress of a m
Published August 3rd 2011 by Spectra (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Wyvern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Wyvern

Mark
It has been 16 years since I first picked up the first Deverry novel, DaggerSpell, and here in am, 16 years later, about to finish the fifteenth and final one.

Has the journey been worth it? Yes. Was the wait too long? Yes.

I would not recommend anyone starts reading the Deverry cycle unless they intend to read them all, as the macroscopic story is at least as important as the microscopic ones, and as such I am reviewing the books as a set.

I almost give them 4 stars (excellent) but in the end I am
Amanda
This is the first book in a new cycle of novels set in Deverry by Katharine Kerr, and as such new readers can start out at this point. I would recommend vehemently, though, that they do not since a number of storylines from prior novels come together or are referenced in this novel.

For the first time we drift in time forwards rather than backwards, albeit for a short time, when we discover that Haen Marn is adrift in time as well as space. A soldier from a more modern Scotland is cast into the m
Ruth
c1997. I feel pretty ashamed of myself for not liking this book. Before this review, I re-read the book hoping that a bit of time would have changed my opinion (sometimes, I am influenced by mood, what has gone before, workload **gosh - no! never!!***). Sadly, not the case. Perhaps it is because I am never quite comfortable with the "re-incarnation" plot device or perhaps it is just the names. The writing is good, the world building is excellent - it is just the other major components of the tal ...more
Elise
Feb 05, 2010 Elise rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No body
Recommended to Elise by: Unfortunately, myself
I couldnt finish this book.... it just didnt keep my attention
Iben
The Red Wyvern tells the story of a civil war in the land of Deverry. A war that has been going on for many, many years, and this has taken its toll on the land. No longer can the would-be-kings bring as many men to war, and no longer can they command the loyalty they used to.
One of the main charectors, Lilli, is hoping that the war will soon end and that her family makes a good marriage for her. However she is burdende by her mother's constant insistance that she looks for omens for her, an ex
Fantasy Literature
The Red Wyvern is the first book in a new cycle of novels set in Deverry by Katharine Kerr, and as such new readers can start out at this point. I would recommend vehemently, though, that they do not since a number of storylines from prior novels come together or are referenced in this novel.

Broodingferret
As the first book of "scene 3", The Red Wyvern spends most of its time setting up background; most of the book is set in the "past", during the time of Deverry's 100 year civil war, and it's the actions taken during this time by a number of characters that set into motion the interweaving of fate that influences the story that takes place in the series' "present". This book does a good job of quickly catching the reader's attention and holding his or her interest, making it a good lead-in for th ...more
Cris Holdorph
This book continues the pattern of the other Deverry novels. Even though, the book is the start of the "Dragon Mage" series of books, it picks right back up, telling yet another story in the past using some characters we know and adding new characters that are about to become important in the present timeline.

There are other Deverry novels I liked more, but definitely some I liked less. You'll like this one if you liked any of the others. This book does not bring anything new to the table though
Tatiana
Delightful book! Just like Days of Fire and Blood, this is one of my favourites in the series.
The Red Wyvern starts the new Dragon Mage cycle (made of 3 books). It begins on a surprising and I thought fascinating prologue that adds a LOT to the series' mythology, while most of the story will revolve around the end of the civil war in Deverry in the 9th century. It is therefore the occasion to reconnect with old characters while various elements will help shed light on current situations.

I simpl
Vohumanu
She's a good, practised author, but... This book doesn't have as much going for it as the earlier series. The drama is interesting, but it seems less is happening. Also, she used to used parallel editing between past lives, but now it's long blocks of story in one particular time. So where before you were holding your breath to see what effect a past relationship would have on another, here you're just following a single storyline.
Katherine
Oct 29, 2009 Katherine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Deverry Fans
Shelves: fantasy, 2009, dragons
A good book, this book spends a lot of time on the long-running series theme of the old war, and how some of it's characters are in newer incarnations, and what effect that has. I had a hard time putting this one down.
Robin
Okay, I admit it. I am totally hooked on the whole series. Some of the books are better than others but still... they all get a 5 star rating from me.
Tari
I'm so glad that I've been re-reading this series! Age can play tricks with memories & it's been a treasure rediscovering this truly great series!
Dhoulmagus
At first glance I didnt like it at all, but there were some cool parts with the magic called dweomer.
Anja
Gave up too boring, too confusing.
Pioden
Deverry Bk 9 (Dragon Mage 1)
Annie
Great series!
Len Van kerkhof
Len Van kerkhof marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa added it
Rajat Saigal
Rajat Saigal marked it as to-read
Mete
Mete marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Raavyn
Raavyn marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Kathy Allan
Kathy Allan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • Sword of Flame (Artefacts of Power, #3)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.
More about Katharine Kerr...

Deverry (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Days of Air and Darkness (The Westlands, #4)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Fire Dragon (Deverry, #11; Dragon Mage, #3)
Daggerspell (Deverry, #1) Darkspell (Deverry, #2) A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1) The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4) The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)

“By the hairy ass of lord hell." Many characters in the Deverry Cycle Novels” 7 likes