Start by marking “Poets in Their Youth” as Want to Read:
Poets in Their Youth

Poets in Their Youth

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  13 reviews
John Berryman and the rest of the crew.
paperback
Published November 1990 by Noonday Pr; Reprint edition (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Poets in Their Youth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poets in Their Youth

Ash Ponders
Painful. Gossipy. At times even trashy. Required reading.
Linda
This is a wonderful wallow in the lives of formerly well-known literary lions who have probably lost their shelf-life. Eileen Simpson, the first wife of John Berryman,(who?) reminiscences about Robert Lowell, Jean Stafford, Ezra Pound and A. Alvarez, some of the better known. They all had "breakdowns" and spent time in mental hospitals. They all had writer's block and missed deadline upon deadline. They couldn't keep their professorial jobs or any job for long, because they were, of course, POET ...more
Brian
Most of these poets I hadn't read (Berryman, Jarrell, Schwarz) or had only read a little (Lowell). There are so many revealing and fascinating stories here, with such intimate detail about the lives of these American poets. In line with Eileen Simpson's best hopes for this memoir, I will be seeking them out: "It pleased me greatly to be told by those who wrote me about my memoir that the book had sent them back to the poetry... I hope this new edition will also send readers to the poems themselv ...more
Silvia Hall
I was attracted by the title of the book, "Poets in their youth". We read about the 'official' biographies of them but there is always something missing in them. This books is written by Eileen Simpson (John Berryman's first wife); both were part of the group of youth poets come together in the late thirties. She describes the times, the hardships, the friendship, also the breakdowns... All of them, Dylan Thomas, Robert Lowell, her own husband, etc. went thru manic depression episodes, drinking, ...more
Doralee Brooks
A really wonderful reminiscence of poets who belong to the most remarkable generation of writers to have come our way. I loved it! What a reading list!
Sara Elizabeth
Compelling story, and beautifully written. Won from a giveaway, and was not disappointed.
Marie
Oct 19, 2013 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was a re-read. The first time I read it was for Liam Rector's seminar called something like "Poets & Madness," 8 years ago. A different mindset really changes the reading of it. The book is an almost gossipy love letter to an amazing generation of poets, with a little vein of sadness running through even the funniest and most charming parts, not unlike the poets themselves.
Rabishu
Great to get a sense of what Berryman would have been like to have been around. Some fantastic anecdotes. Simpson has a very clear and engaging prose style, and, it would seem, a diminuitive ego--given how much she backgrounds herself and her own (considerable) accomplishments to allow Berryman and the other Literary figures in their lives to dominate the narrative.
Ilze
May 08, 2008 Ilze rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ilze by: Prof Joan Hambidge
This is the "inside" story of the poets one reads about ... John Berryman, Delmore Schwarz, Robert Lowell, Randall Jarrell, those guys. On the one hand it seems quite a drab lot - as one would probably discover the Bloomsbury group was too - on the other, one gets information that one doesn't read about anywhere else.
Auntjenny
Why would a book like this ever go out of print? I like her thoughts at the end-- that it wasn't poetry that killed her husband; it was poetry that allowed him to live.
Brit
I seriously underestimated my interest in this book. Loved it. Any recommendations for similiar works?
Jamey
Read it with Kalstone's Becoming A Poet.
Lisa
so far....Awesome!
Caroline
Caroline is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Kurishin
Kurishin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Stu
Stu marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Martin McCandlish
Martin McCandlish marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Lilleenjoy
Lilleenjoy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Riley Ratcliff
Riley Ratcliff marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • Selected Poems: Summer Knowledge
  • Renaissance 2.0: Carnival of Characters, Crusades, and Causes
  • Shelley: The Pursuit
  • Self-Consciousness
  • The Man Who Loved Too Much: Book 2: Entendre (Book #2 of 3)
  • Poetry and the Age
  • Virgin Time: In Search of the Contemplative Life
  • The Names
  • Justice and the Politics of Difference
  • Searching for Mercy Street: My Journey Back to My Mother, Anne Sexton
Reversals: A Personal Account of Victory Over Dyslexia Orphans: Real and Imaginary The Maze Late Love CL Rebel Son G. P