Start by marking “Poets in Their Youth” as Want to Read:
Poets in Their Youth

Poets in Their Youth

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
John Berryman and the rest of the crew.
paperback
Published November 1990 by Noonday Pr; Reprint edition (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Poets in Their Youth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poets in Their Youth

Ash Ponders
Mar 28, 2012 Ash Ponders rated it really liked it
Painful. Gossipy. At times even trashy. Required reading.
Linda
Jan 05, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful wallow in the lives of formerly well-known literary lions who have probably lost their shelf-life. Eileen Simpson, the first wife of John Berryman,(who?) reminiscences about Robert Lowell, Jean Stafford, Ezra Pound and A. Alvarez, some of the better known. They all had "breakdowns" and spent time in mental hospitals. They all had writer's block and missed deadline upon deadline. They couldn't keep their professorial jobs or any job for long, because they were, of course, POET ...more
Brian
Jun 08, 2015 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of these poets I hadn't read (Berryman, Jarrell, Schwarz) or had only read a little (Lowell). There are so many revealing and fascinating stories here, with such intimate detail about the lives of these American poets. In line with Eileen Simpson's best hopes for this memoir, I will be seeking them out: "It pleased me greatly to be told by those who wrote me about my memoir that the book had sent them back to the poetry... I hope this new edition will also send readers to the poems themselv ...more
Silvia Hall
I was attracted by the title of the book, "Poets in their youth". We read about the 'official' biographies of them but there is always something missing in them. This books is written by Eileen Simpson (John Berryman's first wife); both were part of the group of youth poets come together in the late thirties. She describes the times, the hardships, the friendship, also the breakdowns... All of them, Dylan Thomas, Robert Lowell, her own husband, etc. went thru manic depression episodes, drinking, ...more
Joan Colby
Mar 22, 2016 Joan Colby rated it really liked it
While the writing can at times be turgid, the portraits of the young Berryman, Lowell, Schwartz, Jarrell, Stafford and others are quite interesting, as are the photos, most from Simpson’s own collection (she was married to Berryman in her youth).
Doralee Brooks
Mar 21, 2015 Doralee Brooks rated it it was amazing
A really wonderful reminiscence of poets who belong to the most remarkable generation of writers to have come our way. I loved it! What a reading list!
Sara Elizabeth
Oct 17, 2014 Sara Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelling story, and beautifully written. Won from a giveaway, and was not disappointed.
Marie
Oct 19, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This was a re-read. The first time I read it was for Liam Rector's seminar called something like "Poets & Madness," 8 years ago. A different mindset really changes the reading of it. The book is an almost gossipy love letter to an amazing generation of poets, with a little vein of sadness running through even the funniest and most charming parts, not unlike the poets themselves.
Rabishu
Nov 29, 2011 Rabishu rated it really liked it
Great to get a sense of what Berryman would have been like to have been around. Some fantastic anecdotes. Simpson has a very clear and engaging prose style, and, it would seem, a diminuitive ego--given how much she backgrounds herself and her own (considerable) accomplishments to allow Berryman and the other Literary figures in their lives to dominate the narrative.
Ilze
May 08, 2008 Ilze rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ilze by: Prof Joan Hambidge
This is the "inside" story of the poets one reads about ... John Berryman, Delmore Schwarz, Robert Lowell, Randall Jarrell, those guys. On the one hand it seems quite a drab lot - as one would probably discover the Bloomsbury group was too - on the other, one gets information that one doesn't read about anywhere else.
Auntjenny
Jun 12, 2015 Auntjenny rated it it was amazing
Why would a book like this ever go out of print? I like her thoughts at the end-- that it wasn't poetry that killed her husband; it was poetry that allowed him to live.
Brit
Mar 27, 2013 Brit rated it it was amazing
I seriously underestimated my interest in this book. Loved it. Any recommendations for similiar works?
Jamey
Nov 03, 2007 Jamey rated it really liked it
Read it with Kalstone's Becoming A Poet.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves:
so far....Awesome!
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Erniehilbert
Erniehilbert rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Amanda Michelle
Amanda Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Ron S
Ron S added it
Mar 24, 2016
D.A. Gray
D.A. Gray marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Daniel
Daniel added it
Mar 22, 2016
Cary M
Cary M marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
David Cannaday
David Cannaday marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Cassandra Jones
Cassandra Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Mary Lynn
Mary Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Alun
Alun rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Samantha Cooper
Samantha Cooper marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Isaiah Vianese
Isaiah Vianese rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Sergio Coddou
Sergio Coddou is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2016
  • Wolf Willow
  • Twentieth Century Pleasures: Prose on Poetry
  • Poetry and the Age
  • How I Grew
  • The Extroverted Writer: An Author's Guide to Marketing and Building a Platform
  • The Names