Start by marking “Hexult” as Want to Read:
Hexult

Hexult

When the seas rose and the world froze, much knowledge was lost.

Mysterious twins, Jacob and Elya, shipwrecked in Hexult, discover their superior understanding of science is mistaken for magic by the superstitious islanders.

With the aid of Aulf the mailman and his fiery crewmate, Ingar, the twins must overcome terrible tragedy and danger, to save their reputations and their
Paperback
Published July 2011 by Skymirror publications (first published May 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hexult, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hexult

Miles Allen
May 24, 2011 Miles Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've done some digging and this is the first book of a new UK author. Well hats off to the guy. This is a highly original piece. Set in a future ice-age where technology is thrown back so that even a compass is considered magic, the adventure unfolds around a group of youngsters who bring 'magic' to the isolated islands of Hexult that are seperated by vast sheets of ice. Trouble ensues for them as those with power vie to gain the advantage that the group can provide, and are willing to undertake ...more
Denna
Jun 13, 2011 Denna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the land of Hexult, Aulf delivers the mail between a set of islands aboard the sailboat known as the Aurora. With his crew of one, a small waif of a girl named Ingar, they fly with the wind aboard the Aurora, no one around with a vessel fast enough to catch her. But in this land a boat doesn’t fly over the smooth surface of water. Instead they slide across a frozen sea of ice, a white wonderland very different from the one you and I know.

One day while delivering the mail, Aulf and Ingar come
Donalisa Helsley
Sep 24, 2011 Donalisa Helsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a exciting change from the vampires and werewolves I have been reading lately. This book was a wonderful and entertaining adventure. Hexult is the story of two teens who are shipwrecked and saved. They are brought to a land where they are very different from the people around them. They are attacked verbally and physically due to fear and ignorance. The teens bring with them knowledge and information on how to build helpful items that are considered "magic".

I am always looking for a lesson
Harry Nicholson
May 23, 2011 Harry Nicholson rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the world of ice and the inspired youngsters who struggle through it. I'm rather older than the target audience but nevertheless stayed with this absorbing story. Well drawn.
David King
May 17, 2011 David King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Hexult" by Perry Aylen is an enjoyable adventure story with the shadings of a post-apocalyptic and dystopian tone. It is firmly aimed at the earlier end of the young adults market although I believe that even younger children will also enjoy having this light and easy going story read to them. The genre of this story was am interesting aspect as I had to decide on if I would call this Science-Fiction or Fantasy. However, as the premise appears to imply the story is set in the Earth at an undefi ...more
Leanne Bell
After much kindle trouble I finally got to finishing this book and a big thanks to the author for the endless patience! A big big thank you goes to Perry Aylen (actually two very clever people working on the same novel!) for asking me to review this book.
To kick my review off here's the Goodreads synopsis to give you a brief introduction:

'When the seas rose and the world froze, much knowledge was lost.
L.E.Olteano
What a refreshing idea! Literally, refreshing. With the heat tormenting me, reading about a world of ice made it all better, at least for my mind.
I’ll be honest, I’m quite torn between a 3 and 4 butterflies rating. I’d give it a 4 for originality, age-appropriate tale-like structure, content and characters, but a 3 for the chemistry I had with said characters. Admittedly, I am well above it’s target; so, to make up my mind what rating I’d give it, I thought, if I had a kid, would I give him/her
Sonny
Jun 04, 2011 Sonny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world is covered in ice. The only way to travel in Hexult is by boat.
Aulf is the mailman between the islands in Hexult and Ingar is his crew. One day on their way to deliver mail, Aulf and Ingar find a boat which has perished. Inside were twins Jacob and Elya; their father dead from the crash. When Aulf and Ingar take the twins in and help them, the four of them and the whole of Hexult dives into a world of adventure.
Raiders are around every corner, ready to jump on unsuspecting prizes. The
SARIT
Mar 14, 2013 SARIT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book fold inside a new idea, so much as a Sci Fi book. It will consider brilliant if if it will include other kind of meanings. It will consider out standing this idea will keep your thoughts in every other moment.

Well you all can imagine to yourselves how the vast white plans of ice capture my mind. With this amazing idea of heat from the depth of the planet creating islands which people can live on. So it is really not important if because some kind of future catastrophe, or on other pl
Donalisa Helsley
Sep 23, 2011 Donalisa Helsley rated it really liked it

I am always looking for a lesson
Carol Brannigan
Oct 15, 2011 Carol Brannigan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, er-arc
This was an enjoyable read. The genre is only very loosely science fiction (I would hesitate to even call it as loosely). I would describe this as a YA fantasy adventure with suggestions of post apocalyptic and dystopian tones. Even though it wasn't the genre I was expecting, I enjoyed the story very much. I think this would be a great read for children as it should keep their attention but would also provide some very important lessons.

I was happy about the message but also pleased that the au
Anne Smitt
May 25, 2011 Anne Smitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a refreshing read!

I was drawn into the story straight away, the writing is very accessible.
It starts with Aulf and Ingar sailing across the ice and coming across a wreck. It throws up many questions which, I'm pleased to say, are answered throughout the story. The characters are well defined and the story is nicely paced, not action-packed, but never slow.

I think science-fiction is a misleading genre and would simply call it `adventure' as although it is in a future world, there is nothing
Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?)
Hexult is a highly original story of adventure. It shows us a World where ignorance is not always bliss. With the loss of common knowledge among the people, it reminded me of our own histories where innocent people were falsely accused of witchcraft because they were a little different from the rest. A simple compass is seen as something magical.

Hexult was an enjoyable story. This is the type of book I would have loved to read in Elementary or Middle School and is highly appropriate for that age
Mike
Jul 06, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written, rather pedestrian (considering the possibilities in the scenario), romp over the ice. The characters are well drawn and youngsters should find them endearing. Nice to find a book where science rather than pure fantasy or magic takes centre stage. Not sure about some of the cold world science but it is easy enough to suspend disbelief for it to work okay.
There's Goodies and Baddies, prejudice, injustice etc. to keep YA interest and it rolls along at a decent pace. A touch of young
Sift Book Reviews
Jul 03, 2011 Sift Book Reviews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erica
It is an adventure story aimed at tweens and while it will certainly appeal to middle grade and young adult readers, it is an enjoyable read for adults too; 5 out of 5 stars. Hexult is an exciting tale of adventure from beginning to end and leaves the reader knowing that good trumps evil anyday.

Please see the in-depth review at Sift: http://www.siftreviews.com/2011/09/he...

Review by: Erica of Sift Book Reviews
Sift Book Reviews received a free copy for review from the author. This has, in no way,
April
May 31, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This read takes you into a new world and a new way to look at it. The world is built on ice and long distance travel just is not in the stars here, so when a couple of twins show up from a far away land they are held as unusual and find themselves in a situation they could not have imagined. With their father having been killed in the wreckage and no one left to watch over them and tell them what to do life becomes a challenge and a mystery to them. they must unravel not only their lives both th ...more
Amy
Feb 15, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story.

At first, I wasnt sure what to think because of the weird names - Aulf and Ingar. But, the story was quite captivating.

Jacob and Elya are found by Aulf and Ingar amidst their ruined ice craft. From faraway across the Ice Plain, Elya and Jacob have "magic" that has never been seen before. A compass and flint/steel. They try to fit into their new world, despite a crank "magician", a prophecy and other troubles
Dennis Brown
Mar 30, 2013 Dennis Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hexult by Perry Aylen, this is an Enjoyable, quick read by a new author. This book is marketed to the young adult crown but even adult will enjoy this book. This adventure take place around two remarkable young people who has lost their father, Elya and Jacob, 15 year old twins, Aulf and Ingar find the twins and they adventure begin. This book is a book that I would think would be a good added to summer read for those in the 5th thru 9th grade.
Tam Williams
Mar 15, 2013 Tam Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story and characters in this book. It is quite an interesting idea of an ice world where science is forgotten and even simple things can make people's lives so much better. I am looking forward to sharing this with my nieces and nephew as they may learn from the themes and topics covered within the storyline of book. The only problem is I was left wanting more and cannot wait for a sequel.
Nikki
Nov 30, 2013 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Apparently this book is intended for the junior high school/high school set. The author has far exceeded expectations. What an exciting read from a new author. A fascinating world and three dimensional characters. I cannot wait to read more.
Megan Chambers
Mar 14, 2013 Megan Chambers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this story. I think a sequel is in order, and I would definitely recommend this book to others. I was reading it to my 5 year old and he enjoyed it as well.
Cassie
Mar 20, 2013 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome story. I passed it on to my brother, who has been hooked!!
Alexandra Storm
Read only 15% and stopped. Could not get into the story at all to continue on
Margaret
Jul 02, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was written to a slightly younger audience than I expected. That being said, it's a great little tale. Quite an imaginative dystopia. Not too dark, and very enjoyable.
Joo
Joo rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Etta
Etta rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2013
Perry Aylen
May 22, 2011 Perry Aylen rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kindle
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
I think I've upset someone. 4 11 Jul 10, 2012 03:30PM
What can I say, I'm a pen name; an amalgam of two people. One male, one female, born at different times in different places.
We (Perry Aylen), like a larger genre of books than a mere single entity, but are prone to psychotic behavior due to our split personality.
More about Perry Aylen...