Start by marking “The Mighty Asparagus” as Want to Read:
The Mighty Asparagus

The Mighty Asparagus

Long ago in Italy, a mighty asparagus grew smack-dab in front of the king's castle. Was the king happy about it? No. The asparagus had to go. But how does a king reason with an asparagus of such stature?

With tongue planted firmly in cheek, Vladimir Radunsky tells the uproarious tale of an almost immovable vegetable. Drawing on Italian Renaissance art, the esteemed artist c
Published May 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Mighty Asparagus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mighty Asparagus

Lisa Vegan
Apr 26, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I greatly appreciate the attempt made here, but it ended up not quite working for me, especially because I didn’t find the end at all satisfying.

First the good: The illustrations are fabulous, looking as though they’re from 400 years ago when this story takes place. It is cute, especially the little side note about children not usually liking asparagus. I love the author/illustrator’s sense of humor, which spills over to the title page, the author’s bio, everywhere really.

But, the not so good (f
Dorothy Enders
Sep 17, 2013 Dorothy Enders rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued by the title of this story because asparagus is one of the main sides that my family and I eat on a weekly basis. Everyone in my family likes asparagus with the exception of my middle son Nathan. He usually asks the very familiar question that many children ask as soon as they get home from school "What's for dinner?" On the evenings that we are having asparagus, Nathan always groans his usual groan that indicates his unhappiness.

The end pages or end papers of this picture book
Michelle
May 21, 2015 Michelle rated it did not like it
There is a huge asparagus growing in the kingdom, and the king wants to get rid of it, but nothing will bring it down! They get the royal knight and the royal rhino, but only the smallest creature in the kingdom can make a difference. This is a variation on the Russian tale of The Turnip.
Done with a cut out renaissance characters, the main ones having a caricature look, this is a very original and interestingly set up book. There are several interactive fold out pages (because one page cannot co
Karah Webb
Apr 28, 2014 Karah Webb rated it liked it
Radunsky has created a very humorous book about a giant asparagus that grew overnight in a town 400 years ago. While reading this book, I found myself chuckling over the funny commentary Rudunsky made during the story. This odd book is about how a king wants to take down a very, very large asparagus, but he cannot budge the giant vegetable. He even tries to get a very mean rhino, a knight, his wife, and his daughter to help move it. With all of them pulling, the asparagus did not move one little ...more
Oct 29, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The first Library of Congress classification thingy for this book is: Asparagus-Fiction. That's pretty terrific and the story and illustrations are just as outstanding and original. There's a nice moral to the tale and it is bizarre enough to capture the imagination of the most ADHD child around. It's a book about a mighty asparagus. Really, does anything else need to be said to recommend it?
Dolly
Oct 17, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, italy, russia, 2010
I really enjoyed this book, especially the witty, "Monty Python" humor and the creative illustrations. I recognized it immediately as an unusual version of Tolstoy's "The Gigantic Turnip". And the moral that even the smallest effort can make a difference is wonderful.
Kristy Mcghee
The illustrations are just beautiful. This book can be used for critical practices. It really draws the reader in with the words. As a teacher you can question students as to why the author choose to use the language he used.
Jenny
Apr 15, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
A delightfully zany, oddball story. Visually fantastical illustrations are accompanied by abudnantly silly, tongue-in-cheek text.
Jan 24, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I love asparagus. This book is weird.
Gala
Nov 29, 2007 Gala rated it really liked it
My newest kids' book favorite author. A totally ridiculous and colorful sense of humor-- great conversational text, clever illustrations.
Briana
Jan 14, 2014 Briana rated it liked it
I loved the story, but I didn't like the ending. Illustrations were fabulous.
April
May 01, 2012 April rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Liked it but it's weirdness took away from the story for me (moreso than for my son I think). And I definitely like quirky and love asparagus!
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Noah Edwards
Noah Edwards rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2011
Kira
Kira rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2016
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2007
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Libbyvine Vine
Libbyvine Vine rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2015
Nat Whitman
Nat Whitman rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Svetlana
Svetlana rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Jake Orlowitz
Jake Orlowitz rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Marta
Marta rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Cade
Cade rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2008
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2008
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2009
Hannah Knight
Hannah Knight rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2017
Chris Hays
Chris Hays rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
~*mandy*~
~*mandy*~ rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
193649
Born in the Ural Mountains of Russia, Vladimir Radunsky migrated to the United States in 1982, when he was still a relatively young man. Since then he has become well known for his brightly colored artwork and dynamic collages. Among the many children's books he has illustrated are the Candlewick Press titles HOWDI DO, BLING BLANG, and MY DOLLY, in which his vibrant images bring to life the nurser ...more
More about Vladimir Radunsky...