Start by marking “Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #1)

Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  46 reviews
On a scale of one to ten, sixth-grader Danvers Blickensderfer's life is a solid minus two. But he really hits rock bottom when he auditions for the local talent show: his death-defying hula-hooping-ninja tribute to Gonzo the Great is beat out by the world's most obnoxious middle school boy band, Emo Shun.

With his daredevil dreams dashed, Danvers goes to bed... and wakes up
Published September 5th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet

Lori Twichell
I’m a die-hard Muppet fan. I have been since I was a kid and that has never changed. In fact when I was in college, I was interviewed by a national news magazine about the fact that I was 20 years old and had parties in my room to watch the new Muppet show. So when I was asked if I wanted to review this book, the decision was a no brainer.

Danvers Blickensderfer is a great character. He knows he’s not cool and he knows what his issues are, but like many tweens and middle schoolers, he doesn’t alw
Michael Jones
A cute Muppet-infused story in the style of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, except not quite as clever. The Muppets in the book are more "Muppet Show" than "Muppet Movie" - there's not particularly a lot to them. They're wacky, as expected, but part of the charm of the Muppets is that in the movies they began to have distinct personalities and back stories, and they seem very one-dimensional in this novel. There should be plenty of room in a novel for them to be a little more well-rounded. I realize this ...more
Sarah BT
About the Book: Danvers Blickensderfer is the biggest Gonzo fan you'll ever meet. His school reports are all about Gonzo, he has a Gonzo shirt for every day of the week, and he even aspires to be an amazing daredevil just like The Great Gonzo. When Danvers's audition for the local talent show fails and he looses out to the middle school boy band, Emo-Shun, Danvers thinks he's hit rock bottom. That night, Danvers goes to bed wishing he could be like Gonzo. The next morning Danvers discovers he's ...more
Peyton
It's about time for a sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational kids' chapter book! With fun drawings, a hilarious story, and all of my favorite Muppets (or at least most of them) how could I not enjoy this book? When I was in the sixth grade, I would have loved to have woken up to discover I had been transformed into a Muppet (come to think of it, that'd be pretty cool even now). I guess reading about it is the second-best thing.

One thing that I didn't appreciate was all the nake
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Danvers Blickensderfer loved Gonzo The Great from the Muppets. He was always trying to do dangerous and wacky stunts just like Gonzo. In fact, he loves gonzo so much he wished he could be just like Gonzo. Well, he got his wish. When he woke up the next day, he ACTUALLY BECAME a Muppet! His skin was orange and felty, he had a purple nose, his hair was too yellow and he was a bit too skinny. This was NOT what Danvers wanted! How was he going to survive going to school as a Muppet?!? It was all mad ...more
Tammy
I so wanted to love this book, but--some hilarious lines aside--it just tries too hard. It's something I would have written in the fifth grade, but, unlike Origami Yoda and Wimpy Kid, it doesn't come near the level of books designed to appear to be written by fifth graders but that actually achieve something fifth graders can't. How do I explain this? Instead of having a kid wake up as a muppet in a world in which muppets are acknowledged to be the fantasy creation of Jim Henson, Scroggs sets hi ...more
Michelle H
Not bad for the upper elementary/early middle school crowd. Fun for moms in a reminiscient way as I really enjoyed seeing my son reading this and talking Muppets (my heroes!) with him. Not groundbreaking or anything, but fun, particularly for reluctant or struggling readers who have outgrown picture books but still enjoy pictures with their stories.

This book will most likely appeal to fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Big Nate, and Zombie Chasers series.
Thebruce1314
This is obviously not Pulitzer-prize-worthy writing, but he author did manage to capture the tone of the Muppet show to a T. I could hear the characters' voices as I was reading, the jokes were in keeping with Muppet cheesiness, so in that respect, Scroggs did a great job. In the downside, the storyline was kind of blah, and there was no ending (presumably because the publisher intended to release more books and was hoping for repeat business).
The book is a nice mix of text and comic-style illu
Marsh&Emiline
We reviewed this book for our blog! Please visit us at: http://amonsteratemybookreport.blogsp...

Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet
By Kirk Scroggs
Book Report by Emiline

Tales of a Sixth Grade Muppet was one of my favorites because I love the Muppets. Animal is my favorite Muppet because he is crazy good on the drums. Speaking of Animal, he wasn’t in Tales of a Sixth Grade Muppet that much. It really bummed me out. But the book really isn’t about me so I guess I have no room to talk because Danvers, th
Rachel
I found this in the new children's book section and just had to get it. Anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge Muppet fan. So anything new of theirs I try to get my hands on (even though I was kind of mad that the Jim Henson Company sold the Muppets to Disney, but I will admit that they have done really well with bringing them back). The book reminded me of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and "Origami Yoda" with the large amount of illustrations along with a chapter book story, that made it almost seem l ...more
Quinn Rollins
My fourth grade son loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney. And truthfully, so do I. The adventures of a middle schooler who's kid of a loser, told through simple text and cartoony illustrations is a good, fast read, and it gives enough insight into how much Greg Heffley's life really sucks to remind us all that being young isn't all it's cracked up to be. That series has inspired a lot of imitators that I've ignored, but finally there's one that spoke to me--Kirk Scroggs' Tales of ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Growing up a Muppets fans, I adored this book and it's one my son enjoyed just as much as I did. Scroggs does a great job at staying true to the humor and misadventures that the Muppets are known for. I thought it was really creative in the way the story is told, which is through a kid name Danvers who wakes up one morning to find himself now a Muppet. Not only do readers get a behind the scenes glance of all that goes in the Muppet's world, but it was really cool to see how a huge fan of the Mu ...more
Kellie
I really like the Muppets, so when I saw this book I decided I'd give it a read, figuring it would be quick and fun. The story moves at a quick pace and Danvers is a likeable character. There are appearances by every Muppet you can think of! The storyline is fun and although I won't be reading any more of the series, I could see how this series would keep younger kids entertained.
Catherine
Aug 07, 2013 Catherine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Big Nate, the original Muppet Show
Published 2011.

This is a cute, quirky book in a style similar to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, but I would say for a slightly younger audience (probably grades 3-5).

The story's main character, Danvers Blickensderfer, idolizes The Great Gonzo (yes, the Muppet). Danvers spends his time trying to perform stunts reminiscent of those of Gonzo on the old Muppet Show. Danvers is not the most popular kid in school nor the most academic or athletic. He tends to have the same level of success with stunt
Bob (Laine)
SUPER DUPPER COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...more
Mark Baker
Danvers hates his life, especially since no one appreciates his attempts to create stunts that his idol, Gonzo, would love. But one morning Danvers wakes up as a Muppet. What is happening? And how will his life change? I found the book to be a very fast read, the large number of pictures certainly helped. Yet, I also found it quite funny. Any fan of the Muppets will enjoy it, down to the elementary school target audience.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Kellyanne Lynch
What a funny, great little read!
Mandy
Danver's hero is Muppet Gonzo the Great. He loves his fearless nature, uniqueness, and creative mind. Danvers wants more than anything to be like Gonzo, but never in his wildest imagination did he expect to turn into a Muppet!

What a hilarious read that will appeal to a variety of age ranges. The graphics and humor paired with the text remind me of Tom Angleberger’s Origami Yoda series. This is a great recommendation for those fans who wonder what to read next. It is a must for my school library!
Mas5thgrade2014
Something must of happened to him to make him turn into a Muppet. I wonder what was that green flash?
Jessica
A very fun book about a young boy who wakes up one morning as a Muppet! Hijinks ensue, naturally, and I loved the jokes about how his felt arms and legs are all floppy and he can take off his nose!
James
The Tales of a Sixth Grade Muppet is my favorite book. It is magical and it kept me at the edge of my seat. Danvers is so funny and he treats his hero, the Great Gonzo like he is his best friend. It was a super funny book and it would be a book that I would recommend to all kids from the ages 8-13. It isn't hard to read and it is also half a comic.
orangerful
I love the Muppets. I was hoping for a book as clever as 'Origami Yoda' but instead I got this really lame Muppet fan-fiction. It's like they gave Scroggs a list of what Muppets to fit in to the story and he just went with it. I was very disappointed. And they are clearly setting it up for a series, but I doubt the sequels will be worth reading either.
Erin
Kirk Scroggs is awesome. I have been an avid Muppet fan for my entire life. I thought I was the only one who's favorite Muppet was Gonzo. I'm glad this book spreads the love for this adventurous, daring, and incredibly flabbergasting weirdo. This book is Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Muppet style. Highly recommended.
Taylor Oden
This book is really funny it is about a kid who's hero is Gonzo and tries to do all the stunts he does. Then one day he woke up as a MUPPET! His sister helped him get a internship with the muppets. Then he becomes really famous because &^*)^&%)$##^*.
Angie
I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I'd never seen the latest Muppet movie.

Must think on whether or not to get this for school. Just cause I didn't care for it too much ... would the kiddos like it?
Kaniyah
I totally love this BOOK!! It is funny and totally not boring. It's soooo cool! I can relate to a lot of this stuff because I am a sixth grader. So yeah✔
Joshua
I liked it, but didn't love it... kind of seemed like muppet fan fiction at times. and characters were a bit flat... ending was very anticlimactic and things did not feel resolved.
Angela
I am reading this book right now and I love it. It's hilarious. I love the horrible jokes and my kids love reading it together. The dweeb in me is totally eating this up!
Kristin
When one of your kids asks you to read a book they like, you do. Luckily, this was a cute one. And now she is willing to go see the Muppet movie with me when it comes out.
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Ghosts in the Fog: The Untold Story of Alaska's WWII Invasion
  • Bad Kitty Drawn to Trouble
  • Wonkenstein (The Creature from My Closet)
  • Lindbergh: The Tale of a Flying Mouse
  • Nerd Camp
  • Emperor Pickletine Rides the Bus (Origami Yoda, #6)
  • Scary School
  • The Classroom
  • Pioneer Sisters (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #2)
  • Stickman Odyssey, Book 2: The Wrath of Zozimos
  • Captain Disaster (Squish, #4)
  • The Race to Doobesh (The Secrets of Droon, #24)
  • Wildfire Run
  • The Princess Who Had No Kingdom
  • Chickenhare (Chickenhare, #1)
  • Mousenet
  • Frank Einstein and the Antimatter Motor (Frank Einstein, #1)

Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (4 books)
  • Clash of the Class Clowns (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #2)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Fuzzy (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #3)
  • Where No Muppet Has Gone Before (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #4)
Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1) Grampa's Zombie BBQ (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #2) Clash of the Class Clowns (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #2) Bigfoot Backpacking Bonanza (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #5) Super Soccer Freak Show (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #4)