Start by marking “Too Long A Sacrifice” as Want to Read:
Too Long A Sacrifice

Too Long A Sacrifice

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Her man, the Bard Tadhg, was not this thing that shivered by the fire on the warmest summer days, his strange eyes vacant. Maire remembered Brigid's curse: May he wander far, and may you seek him down the years.
She tried to forget the words, and knelt beside the pool. She had never before seen the sacred trout in all the times she had come here. It turned sideways; it glow
Published by Bluejay Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Too Long A Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Long A Sacrifice

Macpudel
Oct 23, 2014 Macpudel rated it liked it
Fascinating segue between fantasy historic Ireland and the bloody recent historical past of the Troubles. I've read books set in the Celtic dreamtime with the fae, and I've read fiction set during the Troubles, but this is the only book I've read that combines them both. It could be described as a time travel story, where the magic follows the characters from the past into the present.
Fishface
Feb 04, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
A very good read, about a woman from ancient Ireland and her husband, who get separated and then, even more unexpectedly, reunited after an unexpected stay in the land of the fairy folk.
Nicholas Whyte
I rather groaned at the beginning with its rather idealised Celtic setting of Olde Ireland. But once we get into the action and our heroes are zoomed forward into 1970s Belfast I warmed to it. I winced at the occasional solecism - a character goes "down Falls Road" from the RVH to Milltown, another complains about Monaghan having been partitioned from Ulster, Newgrange is shifted north of Dundalk (though I'd allow this for artistic reasons) and a Peace People march is confronted by a Loyalist co ...more
Rusty
Dec 23, 2010 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the story of Tadhag and Maire, man and wife from 6th century Ireland, whose life with the faeries leads to quite another existence when they are transported to the war torn Ireland of the 20th century. Tadhag is possessed by The Horned One, a mythical creature who rules the winter month. Maire is possessed by the Goddess who rules the warmer months. It's an entertaining story full of tragedy, death and mythical creatures. Fun read.
Data
Jun 30, 2015 Data rated it liked it
A grand and epic tale, as big as life and time itself, but packaged in a smaller size. There isn't time to get to know the human characters well, yet they are timeless and ageless,so if we know the Irish, we know Maire and Tadhg.Arrived in modern Belfast by the way of the Sidhe, they struggle to find one another as the ancient madness continues on in the endless conflict.
Lorraine
Apr 01, 2012 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad this book crossed my path by accident! It links the ancient world of the Sidhe with modern day Ireland during the time of The Troubles. Very insightful and captivating.
Michael Carnell
Aug 19, 2011 Michael Carnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book long ago and absolutely fell in love with. A terrific intertwining of Irish folklore, history, and the modern Troubles.
Janet Whalen-Jones
Apr 12, 2008 Janet Whalen-Jones rated it it was amazing
mythical story involving the troubles in Ireland...again, with Mythos leaking into reality....most of the books I love do this
Lorna
Lorna rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Fire-in-silence
Fire-in-silence marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
CarolineMcL
CarolineMcL is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2016
Mike Katz
Mike Katz marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Sarah Adair
Sarah Adair marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Katerine
Katerine marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Saheli
Saheli marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Araceli Guajardo
Araceli Guajardo marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Ruchira Datta
Ruchira Datta rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Carole Frost
Carole Frost rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Carol Palmer
Carol Palmer marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Kirsten Rodning
Kirsten Rodning marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
John Loyd
John Loyd rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Beth
Beth added it
Feb 13, 2015
Rowan
Rowan added it
Jan 11, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014