Start by marking “Too Long A Sacrifice” as Want to Read:
Too Long A Sacrifice

Too Long A Sacrifice

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Her man, the Bard Tadhg, was not this thing that shivered by the fire on the warmest summer days, his strange eyes vacant. Maire remembered Brigid's curse: May he wander far, and may you seek him down the years.
She tried to forget the words, and knelt beside the pool. She had never before seen the sacred trout in all the times she had come here. It turned sideways; it glow
Published by Bluejay Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Too Long A Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Long A Sacrifice

Macpudel
Fascinating segue between fantasy historic Ireland and the bloody recent historical past of the Troubles. I've read books set in the Celtic dreamtime with the fae, and I've read fiction set during the Troubles, but this is the only book I've read that combines them both. It could be described as a time travel story, where the magic follows the characters from the past into the present.
Nicholas Whyte
I rather groaned at the beginning with its rather idealised Celtic setting of Olde Ireland. But once we get into the action and our heroes are zoomed forward into 1970s Belfast I warmed to it. I winced at the occasional solecism - a character goes "down Falls Road" from the RVH to Milltown, another complains about Monaghan having been partitioned from Ulster, Newgrange is shifted north of Dundalk (though I'd allow this for artistic reasons) and a Peace People march is confronted by a Loyalist co ...more
Rusty
This is the story of Tadhag and Maire, man and wife from 6th century Ireland, whose life with the faeries leads to quite another existence when they are transported to the war torn Ireland of the 20th century. Tadhag is possessed by The Horned One, a mythical creature who rules the winter month. Maire is possessed by the Goddess who rules the warmer months. It's an entertaining story full of tragedy, death and mythical creatures. Fun read.
Data
A grand and epic tale, as big as life and time itself, but packaged in a smaller size. There isn't time to get to know the human characters well, yet they are timeless and ageless,so if we know the Irish, we know Maire and Tadhg.Arrived in modern Belfast by the way of the Sidhe, they struggle to find one another as the ancient madness continues on in the endless conflict.
Lorraine
So glad this book crossed my path by accident! It links the ancient world of the Sidhe with modern day Ireland during the time of The Troubles. Very insightful and captivating.
Michael Carnell
I read this book long ago and absolutely fell in love with. A terrific intertwining of Irish folklore, history, and the modern Troubles.
Janet Whalen-Jones
mythical story involving the troubles in Ireland...again, with Mythos leaking into reality....most of the books I love do this
Rowan
Rowan added it
Jan 11, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
June
June added it
Nov 17, 2014
Llyren
Llyren marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Susan Quirus
Susan Quirus marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Clio
Clio marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Corky LaVallee
Corky LaVallee marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Dot
Dot added it
Apr 17, 2014
Aaron Mestel
Aaron Mestel marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Carl Schelin
Carl Schelin marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Mushwiz
Mushwiz marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Ku
Ku marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Faery The Demon Of Scattery Isaac Asimov's Space of Her Own Clarion III Stellar #3: Science Fiction Stories