Start by marking “William Shakespeare: A Compact Documentary Life” as Want to Read:
William Shakespeare: A Compact Documentary Life

William Shakespeare: A Compact Documentary Life

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Covering 400 years of Shakespeare scholarship, Schoenbaum's now classic William Shakespeare: A Documentary Life received high acclaim from critics and scholars. The New York Review of Books called it "a masterpiece," and the Guardian labeled it "our best life of Shakespeare."
Making the resources of the world's greatest Shakespeare collections more accessible to all reader
Published May 14th 1987 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published April 21st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about William Shakespeare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Shakespeare

Eric
This extremely well researched book collects all of the available documentary evidence regarding Shakespeare and his associates into one compact life. As a biography it does not give a clear driving narration of the poet's life, but rather tries to tell his story through the evidence that is left to us. He does a great job debunking myths and citing sources. As a "story" of Shakespeare's life, this is not the first volume I would turn to, but rather would look at a biography in one of the "colle ...more
William
There are very few established facts about Shakespeare's life. Because of that most biographers of Shakespeare are forced to speculate. This 'documentary life' tries to avoid the pitfalls of speculation, and builds a life around what few fact we have about the man and the times. It is, perhaps, the best source book for what we do know about the greatest poet and playwright of the English language.
Heraklia
Until I read "Will in the World," I had long believed this to be the best of all Shakespearian biographies, and it still has worlds to offer. Just don't limit yourself to it as a single source!
Tom Delise
I think it is still the best Shakespeare bio out there.
Meadow
Meadow marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Zack
Zack is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2015
Arjay Jean
Arjay Jean is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Aa
Aa is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Bookman143
Bookman143 marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Mumbler
Mumbler marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Mehrdad Kermani
Mehrdad Kermani marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Veronica Williams
Veronica Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
José
José marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Wallawalladingdong
Wallawalladingdong marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Blanka
Blanka marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Delia
Delia added it
Jan 10, 2015
Haider_m24yahoo.com
Haider_m24yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shakespeare's Lives Shakespeare, The Globe & The World Shakespeare: His Life, His Language, His Theater Macbeth: Critical Essays (Shakespearean criticism) Essays Principally on Drama in Its Intellectual Context