Start by marking “In the Spotlight” as Want to Read:
In the Spotlight

In the Spotlight

When sixteen year old Hannah Brewster lands the lead in the school musical she hopes it will be the perfect chance to get the attention of her family and her long time crush, Kyle. The only problem is that school super star, Josh Larson, has been cast opposite her, and he seems to like her as more than just a cast mate.

As Hannah and Josh grow closer, things between Hannah
Published June 13th 2011 by Astraea Press (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In the Spotlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Spotlight

Erin Danzer
Feb 10, 2012 Erin Danzer rated it really liked it
I would actually like to give this book 4.5 stars but GR doesn't allow that. I honestly wasn't overly wowed with this book. I found it a bit predictable and even a little cliched at times (even the MC points out the cliches at one point). But I did meet a group of characters who were all 110% genuine to me. Everyone had a unique voice, unique problems and depth. Grandma cracked me up (and scared me a little - amateur night - yikes!). I know Kyle was a jerk from the beginning and didn't ...more
Cappacino Assasin
Dec 14, 2014 Cappacino Assasin rated it really liked it
This is another of the books that I can turn to when I cannot find anything new to read. Like whenever I'm bored, I borrow this book and read it because the story never gets old. I like Hannah and Josh's romance and all the surrounding high school drama. Plus this is one of the few books I have read about theatre people in high school, so I kind of also get some insight.

Ok lets talk about Hannah first. Hannah was just really cool though sometimes I just wanted to punch her face because of the wa
Julie
Apr 02, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This is a fun YA novel that follows a high school junior, Hannah Brewster, as she navigates the treacherous waters of teenage love. Of course, such a journey is fraught with drama - which Hannah should be well equipped to handle since she is a "drama kid". Hannah's a typical teenage girl who has had a crush on Kyle for about 3 years now. She has loved him from afar & hopes to get his attention this year by auditioning for the female lead in the school musical that he wrote. Then there's ...more
Gunnar
Mar 14, 2012 Gunnar rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Overall this was a fun read. I enjoyed the main characters, Hannah and Josh, who were well developed, realistic, and entertaining as they lived through their high school musical, and as Hannah worked through her feelings for competing guys. The supporting cast might have been better individuated (Mike? who's Mike?) but their roles weren't so heavy that this became an issue, and the ones whose roles mattered were sound. And I love Hayley, and Grandma. Everyone should know a Grandma. Seriously.

Two
Jenny
Jun 10, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
It's been a while since a book has made me laugh out loud, and In the Spotlight did just that!

Hannah was so easy to relate to. She's just a good teenage girl who is confused about her feelings concerning two boys.

Her family, on the other hand, absolutely cracked me up. The situation with her grandmother had me bursting out with laughter and horror and it just kept on throughout the book whenever she appeared. I'm still chuckling over her grandmother. And I won't tell you what happens, you need
Rachel
Feb 29, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved In The Spotlight.

I remember the time when I was just like Hannah so I could relate to her a lot, With boys, crushes and broken hearts.
Hannah seems a bit naïve but that made me like her even more.

I loved her sense of humour and was laughing out loud while reading the book on several occasions with things she said or did, which I have never done before when reading a book.
There was also sadness when she learnt Kyle was not who she thought he was.

The book kept me on the edge of m
Jennifer Comeaux
Feb 25, 2012 Jennifer Comeaux rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a YA story that will leave you smiling, pick up In the Spotlight! I loved the protagonist Hannah as soon as I met her. She's a girl I think many teens can identify with. And her leading man Josh is a total sweetie who will capture your heart. Their relationship develops at a believable pace and has all the cute and awkward moments you expect from teen relationships.

I'm looking forward to more of Botts' work!
Jane
Jan 05, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This book is adorable and sweet. Grandma and Duke stole all the scenes they were in, which weren't alot but I couldn't wait for them to show up again. I loved Josh from the start and Kyle bothered me right away by telling Hannah what part she should try out for. This book is excellent for any age,who doesn't want to read about young love. Its a fun read and you want to jump for joy when Hannah and Josh finally kiss. :)
Ruth Hartman
Apr 20, 2012 Ruth Hartman rated it it was amazing
In the Spotlight is a must read for anyone who's ever felt a little left out in high school. Not a cheerleader. Never had a boyfriend. Not a giggly, like-all-the-other girls, girl. That's the main character, Hannah. She's talented, smart, level-headed and kind. And Josh, the hero, is sweet, funny, and well actually heroic in the way he looks out for Hannah.

A sweet, feel-good read!
Kaitlyn
Apr 19, 2012 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook-read
OH MY GOSH!!! I'm so giggly and giddy from reading this book. It was adorable and beyond cute. Other than the length it took them and the thing with Kyle it is the kind of romance every teenage girl dreams about! Josh is so perfect! Hannah was a great heroine, nothing objectionable about her like in some books. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Judy Cox-Henderson
Dec 20, 2011 Judy Cox-Henderson rated it it was amazing
This book is funny and insightful. Although ostensibly a teen romance, the characters are well-developed and believable. I love the whole family, with all its quirks! And the romance and story of finding one's place in the spotlight is sure to appeal to adolescents.
Stacey
Feb 08, 2013 Stacey rated it really liked it
Cute coming of age story.
Hannah gets the lead in the musical and her leading man is not who she was expecting and her crush turns out not to be prince charming.
Tasha
Mar 15, 2012 Tasha rated it liked it
I liked this story. I really liked Josh, but I could not full connect to the characters. The story line never when past "high school" level. Cute story just lacked depth.
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2012
Bre
Bre rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Kristine
Kristine rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
~Lexi~
~Lexi~ rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Candice Bondad
Candice Bondad rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
Meg Mims
Meg Mims rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Jasmin Victoria Malinao
Jasmin Victoria Malinao rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
Suramya srivastava
Suramya srivastava rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Kcmay4
Kcmay4 rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Olivia Simpson
Olivia Simpson rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Kaitlin Christensen
Kaitlin Christensen rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2012
Deann
Deann rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2014
Maria Bryan
Maria Bryan rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Chloe Goodall
Chloe Goodall rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2012
  • For Always
  • Just Like Heaven
  • A Little Bit of Sugar
  • Unbreakable Love
  • Single-Handed (Single Girls, #1)
  • No Matter What
  • Solo
  • Playing the Game
  • Sleeping Handsome (Sleeping Handsome, #1)
  • Set in Stone
  • A Demon's Kiss
  • Pulled (Twin Flames Trilogy, #1)
  • Love is all around (Looking for Love #1)
  • Snapshot (The Jamieson Collection, #2)
  • If I Can't Have You