The Secret Formula (Bella Street Mysteries, #1)

The Secret Formula (Bella Street Mysteries #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Set in Manhattan, The Secret Formula follows the adventures of Bella, a cool, skateboarding champion and daughter of a glamorous fashion editor, and her friend Felix, a jazz musician and crime buff. Felix is convinced New York is still a seething mass of hard talking criminals - Bella laughs at him but Felix will have the last laugh.

Doc Gutson and her band of misfits schem...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Bacon & Eggs Media (first published April 10th 2011)

Brenda
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this from the author, free onto my Kindle...thanks Clare:)

Twelve year old Bella lived with her mother, Emerald Street, the editor of a fancy fashion magazine, in a very nice townhouse in Manhattan. When Emerald had to go away for a few weeks, she organised a live-in Nanny to look after Bella. But the Nanny wasn’t who she seemed, and trouble started almost immediately Bella’s Mum left.

Bella and her best friend Felix find themselves in the middle of a scheme...more
Lyle Scott Lee
Aug 27, 2011 Lyle Scott Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Young adult
There's bits and pieces of both "The Wizard of Oz" and "Doctor Doolittle" in Clare Havens' "A Bella Street Mystery: The Secret Formula". If you like those two classics, you should have no trouble falling for this contemporary story.

From the penthouse overlooking a dark city, Bella Street, along with her dog Coco, finds herself captive to Doc "Dorothy" Gutson, a cruel and shady "Queen of Evil" posing as a nanny and, supposedly, hired by Bella's absent mother, Emerald. Instead of trying to find he...more
Read2review

** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

As a review site of ALL GENRES it always makes me smile when we are able to deviate away from our “normal” reading tastes into something new and exciting. I don’t read many Thrillers, although it is my intention to read more during 2012; including the sequel to The Secret Formula.

The story is about a 13 year old girl named Bella who is the daughter of a famous fashion designer. While her mother goes out of town she has a new nanny to...more
Dan
Nina
I was lucky enough to receive this book from first reads. I found it a very enjoyable read, about a girl, who struggles to overcome a criminal posing as her nanny. I think that it would be a great read for a 12+ audience. It does get a little bit gritty in parts for some of the younger ones. The villians were very unlikable characters, and I enjoyed seeing their antics. It was a suspensful novel, with some great characters. I'm not sure, but I get the feeling that this is designed to be a series...more
Vannessa T
I was fortunate to receive this from a Goodreads Giveaway. This is a fun thriller, with believable characters whom teens can relate to; especially Bella. Havens does a wonderful job at describing Manhattan, she leaves you feeling as though you have been there.
Bella and her friend Felix have quite the adventure trying to solve the mystery of her new Nanny and ensuring that the secret formula keeps out of the hands of evil. This story is fast paced and perfect for the intended age group(early teen...more
Kim
This novel is a thrilling story designed for the curious mind of a younger audience. The character, Bella along with her friend Felix, are a cross between Eloise and Nancy Drew. Together they must solve the mystery of the new nanny that has come to watch Bella but turns out to not be much of a nanny after all. The story moves at a fast pace and there is a lot of action which is perfect to keep a young mind captivated. I enjoyed reading this book and recommend it to all ages.
Melanie Cusick-Jones

A really good, easy, enjoyable read. The larger-than-life characters immediately draw you in to this fast-paced tale - it felt like I was partway between Zoolander and Raymond Chandler (and I like both so that was a good thing!)

I'd say this would be best aimed at a young, YA audience (11 - 14ish) and would be ideal for fans of Eoin Colfer ready to graduate from Artemis Fowl.

Great stuff - am off to get the next one now.
Bella Street
Had to get it because the title matches my name! :)

My daughter read it (the main character is 12) and LOVED it. She said she wished it was a movie and hoped there were more. I wanted to pass on her recommendation!
A.B. Shepherd
This is a short book, but what it lacks in length it makes up in substance.

A good mystery/adventure for teens, but a little too scary in parts for younger kids.
Ashley
Awesome book, for teens! It was a very short book that was packed with action. I enjoyed the book but, personally, I enjoy books with more detail and length.
Glenda Alexander
Jun 24, 2011 Glenda Alexander marked it as to-read
Sound like a really fun read!
Dan Rogers
Bella Street lives in New York City where she loves to compete in skateboard competitions. She is best friends with Felix Samson, a 13 year old jazz musician who enjoys watching old black and white movies. Bella's mom (Emerald) is usually too busy being a fashion editor to spend time with her, so she hires one nanny after another, each one staying only as long as Bella lets them. Most she has been able to send away quite quickly, driving them nuts with her incessant questioning. Not that she doe...more
Literary
An awesome mystery that starts out with a girl who you think has an over active imagination but in fact has the makings of a good sleuth. Very fun and creative! A definitely good choice for a middle grader who likes mysteries.
Bonnie
My kid actually read this and he enjoyed it a lot. He also said that it was a fun mystery and he was glad I won this. :)
Seb Havens
Awesome Read One of my best books.
Andrew
I won this book for free as part of the Goodreads First Reads program.
This is a book clearly aimed at someone much younger than me, the back cover says "tween" which I assume is post kid, Pre teen. It was okay, but when you remember tha kids of that age would also be above to read thinks like Harry Potter, I have to say that this all did seem rather simplistic, the characters were more like cariacatures and it didn't grab me. Having said that, I am not the target audience and I am sure that som...more
Carol K.
I liked this book I won on Goodreads...the excitement kept going, the plot was intriguing. Some things could have been made more believable, even though this is fiction, like a few more breaks for the heroine, maybe being able to contact her mother about the goings-on, more success in escaping...
Jo-Ann Murphy
I found this bookvery disturbing, especially the tretment of the dog. I wanted to bat the mother over the head fo hrirresponsible behavior. At times, the story drew me in, but overall it just distrubed me and it was not an enjoyable read.
Theadora
Honestly, this book was pretty lame. Nothing seems realistic to me; the plot, the characters, nothing. It did have its good points but overall I didn't like it much.
Melissa
Feb 20, 2012 Melissa marked it as to-read
Shelves: i-own
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Aline
Aline marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Danisha
Danisha marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Jem Yelkovan
Jem Yelkovan marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Ginny Dovi
Ginny Dovi marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
4820047
Clare lived for many years on a street in Manhattan just like the street where Bella lives. She now lives on a high cliff next to a lighthouse in Australia but luckily doesn't have to walk too far to buy bagels.
More about Clare Havens...
Doc Gutson's Revenge (Bella Street Mysteries, #2) A Bella Street Mystery: The Secret Formula 'A Bella Street Mystery: Doc Gutson's Revenge'