Start by marking “Life Without Principle” as Want to Read:
Life Without Principle

Life Without Principle

Kessinger Publishing is the place to find hundreds of thousands of rare and hard-to-find books with something of interest for everyone
Published September 10th 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published April 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Life Without Principle, please sign up.

colagatji ciężkie. bo zbiór esejów, bo pisany przez "wolno myśliciela" który rzuca tu i tam sentencjami ala coelho, bo gdy nie rzuca to opisuje trywialne…moreciężkie. bo zbiór esejów, bo pisany przez "wolno myśliciela" który rzuca tu i tam sentencjami ala coelho, bo gdy nie rzuca to opisuje trywialne czynności, którymi zajmuje się w życiu takie jak np. obserwowanie szczurów wodnych, bo wydanie które posiadam jest napisane specyficznym językiem trącącym myszką, ale byc może wynika to ze specyfikacji orginału, bo czytałam ten zbiór ponad rok, a ponieważ autor ma zwyczaju skakac od jednej myśli do drugiej co zdanie, nie jestem w stanie powiedziec o czym czytałam rok temu. ogólnie zgadzam się z większością jego tez zwłaszcza tych głoszonych w "życiu bez zasad" ale już te z "obywatelskiego nieposłuszeństwa" nie są dla mnie zrozumiałe w żaden sposób. nie wiem czy to pomoże. długo zastanawiałam się nad oceną ale 3 to chyba najprawiedliwsze co mogę dac. czy polecam? raczej nie. jest wiele lepszych zbiorów esejów, którym warto poświęcic czas(less)

Ronen
Jul 15, 2010 Ronen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real gem, liked it better than Walden, which I often got lost in. This is short and straight to the point, which I find Thoreau makes powerfully. Written 150 years ago, but ever so relevant. I found his views on commerce especially interesting- "A commerce that whitens every sea in quest of nuts and raisins, and makes slaves of its sailors for this purpose!"

I've oftened wondered myself about the seemingly endless race to expand, increase, enlarge- to what end? So we'll be able to play high def
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
Straightforward,bold and precise.. It was a really interesting read. This is a criticism of man's tendency to focus on finding a means of living rather than on life in general. Instead of doing what he likes and doing it honestly and sincerely,he goes behind jobs that provide him money because it's money that rules the world of today. Thoreau asks why men go to distant places for gold-digging when there are rivers that come from the golden mountains in their place. He also criticizes the newspap ...more
Himanshu Rathore
"I look down from my height on nations,
And they become ashes before me;—
Calm is my dwelling in the clouds;
Pleasant are the great fields of my rest."
Pripri
Oct 12, 2016 Pripri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Si vous lisez régulièrement Existential Comics (http://existentialcomics.com/), vous avez eu l'occasion de voir l'auteur se moquer du style de Thoreau. Thoreau écrit comme si chaque phrase devait devenir une citation sur wikiquote... et wikipedia ne s'y est pas trompé. Néanmoins, cela ne l'empêche pas de placer quelques bonnes formules et de se rendre charmeur à défaut d'être précis. C'est que Thoreau exhorte :
- à descendre des grands chevaux de la "civilisation" occidentale (salariat, outrance
Bob
May 11, 2009 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
... includes an unforgettable dismembering of "news culture"
Rommel
Sep 09, 2013 Rommel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiago Saraiva
Jun 11, 2017 Tiago Saraiva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este livro é mais uma conferência de Thoreau e no seguimento da "Caminhada", contudo há um maior foco entre o homem e o seu posicionamento face ao trabalho. Thoreau critica o homem que trabalha para o sustento e a monetização do trabalho. A critica à falta de motivação humana desenvolver uma atividade por gosto e o peso da motivação monetária que cega o desenvolvimento do homem desumanizando e mortificando-o, tornando-o "casca e concha, sem nada tenro e de vivo [por dentro]".
Mais um texto vision
David Fernandes
Jun 11, 2017 David Fernandes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A partir de um jovem EUA, Henry Thoreau nesta breve reflexão visionária expôs os desafios que o mercantilismo industrial, incluindo o então embrionário mass media, iria trazer à nossa frágil condição Humana. E já no século XXI, tudo continua igual.
Sunita
Apr 27, 2015 Sunita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Resonates rare determination, very alluring yet easy to identify with -- "This world is a place of business. What an infinite bustle!... It interrupts my dreams. There is no sabbath. It would be glorious to see mankind at leisure for once. It is nothing but work, work, work. I cannot easily buy a blank-book to write thoughts in; they are commonly ruled for dollars and cents.... If a man was tossed out of a window when an infant, and so made a cripple for life, or scared out of his wits by the In ...more
Greening USiena
(da Ibs.it)
Se la "Disobbedienza civile" segnava, secondo le parole di Thoreau, la liquidazione di ogni Stato per via di una rivoluzione pacifica, se ce n'è una possibile, "Vita senza principi", presentato per la prima volta al pubblico italiano, riprende e approfondisce i motivi dell'individualismo e della liberazione dai vincoli del legame sociale. Come per "Walden" vale qui l'invito al lettore: "Stia attento a scoprirvi e perseguirvi il suo senso, che può essere solo privato". Ogni autentica r
Luis Francisco Contreras
"We do not worship truth, but the reflection of truth; because w are warped and narrowed by an exclusive devotion to trade and commerce...which are the means and not the end"

"We must endeavor how to make a living not merely holiest and honorable, but altogether inviting and glorious; for if getting a living is not so, then living is not"

If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, then a daily page of Thoreau or Emerson will flush the consumer out of your system.

Bob Jones
"In proportion as our inward life fails, we go more constantly and desperately to the post-office. You may depend on it, that the poor fellow who walks away with the greatest number of letters, proud of his extensive correspondence, has not heard from himself this long while." p. 14

"The chief want, in every State that I have been into, was a high and earnest purpose in its inhabitants." p. 22
Steve
Jan 10, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Conventionalities are at length as bad as impurities. Even the facts of science may dust the mind by their dryness, unless they are in a sense effaced each morning, or rather rendered fertile by the dews of fresh and living truth.
Janosch
Some really interesting and, even if the book is old, relevant aspects of values and virtues.
I don't agree with everything but it is totally worth a read ( or a listen if you choose the audibook, as I did . )
Darius Liddell
I don't write long reviews, but if you are interested in all in independence of spirit and principle, I highly recommend this -- as, it seems to me, it distills much of what Thoreau is remembered for.
Fog Hill
Sep 26, 2015 Fog Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific essay. This edition is now available free in the creative commons: http://foghillpress.tumblr.com/post/5...
Kevin
Sep 27, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best thing I can say about it is, it changed my life....
Lenka
Oct 01, 2016 Lenka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living."
Moni
Mar 06, 2012 Moni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, to the point, and very eye-opening essay. Even though Henry wrote this years ago, it is so relevant to the world we live in today.
Edwin
Jul 17, 2012 Edwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Thoreau, must I say more?
Bangquito
Agreed, bold, still relevant. But i felt like being preached.
sean thomas gallagher
Insightful.
Eric
Aug 13, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wisdom.
Agent of Fortune
Agent of Fortune rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Louza
Louza rated it liked it
May 22, 2009
Karolina
Karolina rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Stefani
Stefani rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2008
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2009
Shaun Munro
Shaun Munro rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
  • The Conduct of Life: A Philosophical Reading
  • Charmides
  • The Liar's Tale: A History of Falsehood
  • No Magic Bullet: A Social History of Venereal Disease in the United States Since 1880
  • The Hasheesh Eater: Being Passages from the Life of a Pythagorean
  • The Road to Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance in the Arts and Sciences, Sports, and Games
  • Privacy: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Founding of Christendom: A History of Christendom, Vol. 1
  • What is Political Philosophy?
  • Buddhist Ethics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Get It Together: Organize Your Records So Your Family Won't Have To
  • George Washington's Farewell Address
  • The Essential Peirce: Selected Philosophical Writings Volume 1: 1867-1893
  • King Leopold's Soliloquy
  • The Wentworth Letter
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • Hiding from Humanity: Disgust, Shame, and the Law
  • The Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused -- And Start Standing Up for Yourself
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau) was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books
More about Henry David Thoreau...

“Thus men will lie on their backs, talking about the fall of man, and never make an effort to get up.” 20 likes
“This world is a place of business. What an infinite bustle! I am awaked almost every night by the panting of the locomotive. It interrupts my dreams. There is no sabbath. It would be glorious to see mankind at leisure for once. It is nothing but work, work, work. I cannot easily buy a blank-book to write thoughts in; they are commonly ruled for dollars and cents. An Irishman, seeing me making a minute in the fields, took it for granted that I was calculating my wages. If a man was tossed out of a window when an infant, and so made a cripple for life, or scared out of his wits by the Indians, it is regretted chiefly because he was thus incapacitated for—business! I think that there is nothing, not even crime, more opposed to poetry, to philosophy, ay, to life itself, than this incessant business.” 16 likes