Start by marking “Farmer Boy Goes West” as Want to Read:
Farmer Boy Goes West

Farmer Boy Goes West

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Almanzo Wilder is going west! He and his family are moving all the way from their cozy farm in Malone, New York, to the bustling town of Spring Valley, Minnesota. Almanzo can’t wait to explore, but life in Spring Valley isn’t what he expected. The Wilders have to stay with relatives in a small, cramped house where Almanzo’s aunt Martha is cold and unfriendly. Almanzo longs ...more
Published February 14th 2012 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Farmer Boy Goes West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmer Boy Goes West

Steven
Jun 30, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing
Review with pictures.

Today I picked up Farmer Boy Goes West from the library. The book is written by Heather Williams, which is the pen name of Tui Sutherland. Are you wondering why an author might use a pen name? In this case, one of the reasons is so that the book will show up on the book store shelf next to the rest of the Little House Books. The Little House Books are one of my favorite series of books. In fact, I have all of them in Hardback as well as other books that have been written as
Cheryl C.
Jul 18, 2014 Cheryl C. rated it it was amazing
Farmer Boy Goes West is a superb addition to the Laura Ingalls Wilder and Little House legacy. Meant to serve as a sequel to Wilder’s Farmer Boy, this story of a teenage Almanzo going West captures all the excitement and adventure of the original Little House books, while providing some insight into the man Laura Ingalls would eventually marry.

A healthy blend of fact and fiction, Williams captures the essence of the original Little House books, while maintaining an air of her own style. The even
Mar 29, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Little House in the Big Woods fans
We really enjoyed this additional look into Almanzo's life. It was well written, Ms. Williams did a good job. It gives a little bit of insight into some of the years that are missing from the time Farmer Boy leaves off until we see Almanzo again in Little Town on the Prairie.
Martha
Apr 02, 2015 Martha rated it liked it
This really fits in well with the original series! And a great addition especially for boys who want to know how people lived, building a new town from a wilderness. I think this story makes Almanzo very human and gives a good background for the man he becomes later.
Tiffany
Jan 28, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
What a striking difference between the lives of Laura and Almanzo there is! The children and I were amazed at the life of plenty Almanzo's father and mother have created for their family through their industry.
I was astounded at the meals his mother produced regularly (so many pies!)
We laughed when the parents took a little trip and things went awry!
We laughed harder when Almanzo pulled a trick on his brother and father when they were all shearing sheep!
I loved the lessons his father taught him
Kathy
Aug 16, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-august
Almanzo is thirteen when his parents decide to travel from New York state to Minnesota to visit relatives and see if they would like to move out west. They travel by train taking Almanzo and Alice and baby Perley with them, leaving Royal and Eliza Jane at home to mind the farm. Almanzo loves the idea, except that he has to leave his horse, Starlight, behind. Spring Valley is much larger and more civilized than he expected, including an imposing school with many rooms for the different grades.

I h
Miss Amanda
gr 4-6 300 pgs

1870s, Malone, NY / Spring Valley, Minnesota. 14 year old Almanzo can't believe his luck. His parents are traveling to see Uncle George in Spring Valley to decide whether or not to move there and have said that Almanzo and Alice can come too. His only regret is leaving his horse behind, but he can't wait for the adventures he is sure he'll have out there.

I would recommend this book to readers who have enjoyed the Little House books or readers who like books with horses.

Sequel to "F
Feb 19, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Heather Williams really manages to capture the original tone and feel of the Little House books and I could have convinced myself easily that this was from the original set except for one major point - Almanzo us supposed to be mid teens here and yet comes across as a ten year old or younger. When compared to what Laura was doing at the same age this feels very odd but forgetting this point was easy and the book read very well.
Vicki
Jun 10, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter
Tui has done a great job writing in the style of LIW. I very much enjoyed this look at Almanzo's life since I feel that Farmer Boy is one of the most detailed and hard to read of the beloved original series.
Brenda
May 15, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing
as an LHOP fan this was a nice sequel to Farmer Boy. Easy read, nice to read good life lessons.
Julie
Jun 24, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Carefully thought out and well-written, this fills in the time from Farmer Boy (ages 9-10) until Almanzo is about 13. In reality, this covers until he was about 16, though, as the author notes in the epilogue that she condensed what had been 5 years of visiting and then moving the whole family into 2 years. He's in his 20's when he meets Laura, if I recall, so there's still a lot of room!

The author notes her sources and which liberties she takes with real v. fictional people and timelines. It's
Diana
Mar 28, 2016 Diana rated it liked it
A cute book, it gives some more of the backstory of the childhood of Almanzo Wilder. The author did a good job taking the history of the actual family and fitting it to mesh with the books Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote of her and Almanzo's lives. While not a part of the original series I enjoyed reading a bit more about Wilder family and how they came to move to Spring Valley, Minnesota. I recommend it for people who enjoyed the original series.
Sue Poduska
May 10, 2012 Sue Poduska rated it liked it
In the tradition of fan fiction, this is a continuation of the Little House on the Prairie saga. The reader should realize this is not a true depiction of Almanzo’s life, even though he was a real person. Also, the style and voice are not true to the original Little House series. roughout the novel, the author shows Almanzo’s love for his family, for farming, and for horses. Many children will love this sweet story.
Cindy
Apr 10, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
I saw this somewhere and was curious to see if I'd like it. (I didn't particularly enjoy the books written about Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother--they were too simplistic for me.) I was also curious to learn more about Almonzo's life because I have always loved "Farmer Boy." I found this book enjoyable--not fabulous but very interesting. I think any child who enjoys Farmer Boy would enjoy this...
Elaine
Oct 22, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
So really, I think I'd give this a 3.5, but Erin said she'd give it a 4.5, so I averaged it out. It was a nice imagination of the years between Farmer Boy and when Almanzo comes to De Smet. At the end, the author points out which parts were actual history and which were creative additions, but I thought she did a good job of trying to tie it all in to where Almanzo ends up later on in life.
Megan Anderson
Aug 30, 2015 Megan Anderson rated it really liked it
In some ways the Almanzo came off flat and dull in this book (his only interests seem to be horses and food, in that order), but it actually is a well-written and engaging novel. I'd definitely recommend it to my students, as it is probably one of the best of the "extended LIW universe" novels I've come across. It might not be 5-star material, but it's charming and enjoyable.
Kris Phillips
Nov 01, 2012 Kris Phillips rated it really liked it
I was excited to find this book at the library, when I was helping my daughter find some books to read, and I really enjoyed it. I think the author stayed true to the characters and did well with her research and getting the facts straight. I recommend this book to any fan of the Little House series.
Malinda
Jul 22, 2013 Malinda rated it really liked it
The boys and I really enjoyed this book. We loved Almanzo Wilder so much in Farmer Boy that we were thrilled to see that another author had written a little more of his story. I thought that the author stayed true to the Little House series.
Elphaba
Dec 08, 2012 Elphaba rated it really liked it
found this to be very interesting. It's nice learning more about more about Almanzo and his family and his life after Farmer Boy and before he meets Laura.
Adela
Jan 04, 2013 Adela rated it liked it
Although only very loosely based on real life, Farmer Boy Goes West fits in very well with the rest of the Little House series.
Stacy
Aug 29, 2013 Stacy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I would recommend it to all the Little House fans out there. Laura herself would be pleased with this book!
Paul
Mar 09, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
A look at Almanzo Wilder's life between Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Farmer Boy and the time that he met Laura.
Kathleen
Aug 27, 2012 Kathleen marked it as to-read
Shelves: little-house
Haha, how did I not know about this before?
Brooke
May 17, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it
Almost as good as Farmer Boy.
PWRL
Sep 06, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
April Thornton
April Thornton is currently reading it
May 22, 2016
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
May 22, 2016
Melody Owens
Melody Owens rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016