Start by marking “Snapshot” as Want to Read:
Snapshot

Snapshot (Tony Winter #2)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A series of high-profile shootings by a lone sniper leaves Glasgow terrorised and police photographer Tony Winter - a man with a tragic hidden past - mystified. Who is behind the executions of some of the most notorious drug lords in the city? As more shootings occur - including those of police officers - the authorities realise they have a vigilante on their hands. Meanwh ...more
Published June 9th 2011 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Snapshot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snapshot

Inga
My review:

I have quite mixed feelings about Snapshot. It was a very good thriller sending some chills down through the spine but it was also very dark book.

I have read many thrillers, but Snapshot stood out with couple of unusual aspects in his books. Firstly, the main character was not a police officer, but a police photographer, which definitely gave a different narrative to his books and secondly, it was quite macabre in its details and descriptions. Sometimes I had to put the book away whil
Barbara
SNAPSHOT

The second crime novel by Craig Robertson follows a police crime scene
photographer, Tony Winter, as he does his job. It is a job that would be
difficult for most people to stomach, let alone enjoy. Violence has always
visited these places before the cops or the crime scene photographer has
arrived. What the camera sees is the aftermath of destruction, the blood,
the broken, the horror. If it is not true that the face of the killer is
reflected in the eyes of the deceased, Tony believes he can
Book Addict Shaun
I read Craig Robertson's first book last year and loved it. There was a long gap between finishing that and starting this book however and much of that was probably due to the reviews for it on both here and Amazon. I have lost count of how many books reviews I have read either slating a book or saying it wasn't very good only to then read the book myself and feel the opposite. I feel that this book was so much better than reviews would have you believe, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rachel Narey
David Callaghan
This is the second Craig Robertson novel I have read (the first being Witness The Dead)and again found it a real page turner. I was born and bred in Glasgow and lived there most of my adult life and the author has a particular talent for bringing the City, its pubs and characters alive. I noted one reviewer commented on the coarseness of the language but that is Glasgow. Beneath the facade of the up market shopping areas Glasgow has always had a rough and dark side described so well in the novel ...more
Yvann S
“You were more likely to be murdered in Glasgow than in any other city in Western Europe.”

Police photographer Tony Winter has always been fascinated by accidents and murderous occasions, so he is excited by the opportunity to chronicle the deaths of some of Glasgow’s crime bosses, shot by a vigilante sniper. DS Rachel Narey, on the other hand, is miffed to have been removed from the sniper case to solve the murder of a prostitute, but keeps being drawn back to the sniper case.

I had to give up on
Best Crime Books & More
Craig Robertson's first book Random was very enjoyable and I found it easy to read once past the first few chapters. When picking up his second book Snapshot, I found myself with the same problem. The first few chapters just seemed so slow and unfinished that I felt like I couldn't get into the story.

I made the assumption that as the book progressed it would improve and I would again enjoy this book as much as the last one. The story itself is told pretty well but with a sniper seemingly intent
Ellie
Jun 21, 2012 Ellie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
When they start dying, no one seems to care. The criminal set of Glasgow are being gunned down, one by one and many think the vigilante killer is doing what the police couldn’t or wouldn’t do themselves. Police photographer, Tony Winters has a fascination with seeing death through his camera and he begs his best friend, DI Addison to assign him as official photographer on the case. With his penchant for capturing the crowds and the police at work, is he purely a nuisance or could his photos hold ...more
Callum Clement
Not your average 'by the numbers' police procedural. Really quite different with a real plot twist. Dark, sombre, moody but without the sense of redemption at the end. As I say, quite different from your usual police stories. The only thing for me that stops me giving it 5 stars is the over-reliance on stock characters e.g. the hard drinking cynical cop, check; the brilliant but tough but sexy female cop, check; the brilliant, sexy female pathologist, check; the brilliant but flawed, damaged her ...more
Karen
I found the main character creepy and remarkably irritating, even after getting his backstory which sort of explained why he was like that. The body count was ridiculously high and there were far too many conversations about how horrible Glasgow is, just get on with the bloody plot. A couple of minor things - Pollokshields is not spelt with a "c", and in 2011 no one was using Bebo or Myspace! Wont be reading anything else by this author.
Laraine
This is the first book I have read by this author and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't realize it was part two but I think it worked well as a stand alone. I liked it so much that I plan to buy the first and third book in the series from Amazon and I will pass it along to a friend who also enjoys Scottish noir books. So glad to have discovered a new author whose book I found a very good read.
Chris
3.5-I read "Random" by this Scottish crime fiction author a few months ago and I found it to be very original and engaging. This book,"Snapshot", seemed more ordinary to me until somewhere around halfway through, then it kicked into a higher gear and awakened my interest. A plus for me was how the author cleverly integrates some fascinating history about Glasgow into his plot.
Grace
Loved the quotes:

"And the river itself, wide enough to turn a 150-metre Type 45 destroyer but not as wide as most Glaswegians, stretching away as far as the eye could see".

"It all seemed to add up to the C-word. The question was, which cop was the c*** in question?".
Kieran Stott
I did enjoy reading it and thought it was a decent story however I feel certain plot details were left out, 'relating in one case to a child' that loose end is not tied up, as far I can remember.
Nathan
***** SPOILER ALERT *****

This book was quite an enjoyable read. Although I found the latter part of the story a bit hard to believe. The vigilante killer on the loose shooting all the drug lords in Glasgow was a good story. What I did find a little hard to stomach was that the lowly cameraman was the guy who solved the mystery himself without involving any of the police. The bit where he trudges off into the deserted underground just smacks of watching a cheesy horror film, where you would be th
Sophie Houston
Well plotted, but badly punctuated ...
Sue Mcleod
Didn't like this one but have rated it 2-stars because it is better than his first effort 'Random'. Utterly self-obsessed and adolescent minded protagonist in my opinion - just could not sympathise with the character. Plot holes towards the end too made me switch off ... Not sure this ex-journalist really can adjust to crime writing because I don't think he has the ruthlessness needed ...
Sandra
Tony Winter is a complex and well-drawn individual, surrounded by others equally original. Not entirely likeable, and difficult, for me at least, to tell which direction he would jump for much of the book, but the plotting was superb, as was the dialogue - excellent writing, great story, and 'Cold Grave' all ready on the pile of 'to be read'
Petrina
I loved this book. Possibly enjoyed it more because it was set in Glasgow and had loads of "the banter". Glad it mentioned Grahamston as well even though the whole underground village has been disproved.
Jane
a interesting look into the gritty side of the city. Craig really pulls you in with this book, gradually as the story progresses it gets harder and harder to put this down.

8 / 10
Jane
I liked the way Craig really got the nasty gritty feel for all of the shootings and the city.
Patsy
Very disappointing - not sure if it deserves two stars, I must be feeling generous.
Tom Mills
Loved Random, and this is even better! Can't wait for book 3.
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 29, 2015
Chelsea Douglas
Chelsea Douglas marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
KarmieF
KarmieF marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
David Gilchrist
David Gilchrist marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Broken Silence (Inspector Jack Brady, #1)
  • The Riverman
  • Singing to the Dead (Anderson & Costello, #2)
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • Where the Bodies Are Buried
  • The Schemer
  • Good People
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • Natural Causes (Inspector McLean, #1)
  • One by One (Robert Hunter, #5)
  • The Long Glasgow Kiss (Lennox, #2)
  • Telling Stories
  • Afternoon Tea at the Sunflower Café
  • Rush of Blood
  • Slip of the Knife (Paddy Meehan, #3)
  • Dead Silent (DC Laura McGanity, #4)
  • Pariah
During his 20-year career with a Scottish Sunday newspaper, Craig Robertson has interviewed three recent Prime Ministers; attended major stories including 9/11, Dunblane, the Omagh bombing and the disappearance of Madeleine McCann; been pilloried on breakfast television, beaten Oprah Winfrey to a major scoop, been among the first to interview Susan Boyle, spent time on Death Row in the USA and dis ...more
More about Craig Robertson...

Tony Winter (4 books)
  • Random
  • Cold Grave
  • Witness The Dead
Random Cold Grave Witness The Dead The Last Refuge The Passport in America: The History of a Document