Start by marking “New Beginnings” as Want to Read:
New Beginnings

New Beginnings

Sam Hendry is not looking forward to starting at her new school. Things go from bad to worse as the day of truth arrives and all of her fears come true... and then some.

When Sam meets a different group of people who immediately accept her as a friend, she begins to feel more positive.

With her new friends and interests, will Sam finally feel able to face the bully who taun

Published January 1st 2012 by Grimoire Books (first published November 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about New Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Beginnings

b00k r3vi3ws
Jan 08, 2013 b00k r3vi3ws rated it really liked it
This is the story of Sam Hendry… A girl who is about to leave her comfortable environment of primary school and her friends to start at a new school where there isn’t a familiar face that she can count on. She doesn’t really want to go leave her friends and ‘start over’ again, but has little choice in the matter. To make her worst nightmares come true, she is picked up as a target by the bully of the school. As grim as her life seems to be, she soon finds friends and a group that she can belong ...more
Talli Roland
Aug 28, 2011 Talli Roland rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Emin's 'New Beginnings' is a heart-warming tale about an issue facing many children at school and beyond. Eleven-year-old Sam is being bullied in her new school, yet isn't ready to tell anyone who can help. What Sam does have is a wonderful group of friends, and a great talent as a singer -- both of which help her gain confidence. With insight and skill, Emin draws readers into Sam's world of fear and worry. As a former teacher, I believe this is an uplifting novel that will help many ch ...more
Michelle
Mar 22, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This is an endearing story about a young girl new to a school who is bullied. We see her meet new friends and cope quite well through the turmoil of one girl singling her out with her nastiness.
This story has a happy ending. Not all bullying stories have happy endings. My heart goes out to all those affected by horrible situations in school, work and life in general.
A great read for 9-12 year olds.
Cee Martinez
Dec 09, 2011 Cee Martinez rated it really liked it
One of the most pressing issues epidemic amongst our young ones today is bullying. Granted, kids left to their own devices will often pull towards a pecking order war like a pen of puppies dragging each other by the ears, but the trend in bullying these days has gone far beyond that. Tales of bullied children as young as eleven or twelve committing suicide over bullying are become so commonplace that headlines are losing their ability to shock us.

Now is a perfect times for fiction and film to de
Tiffany W.
(SPOILERS ALERT !)
Overall: 3.5/5
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 2/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Cover: 5/5
Ending: 3/5 (I know it's a middle school read, but I really, REALLY wanted to see Nathan and Sam together)
Engrossing: 3/5 (The REAL plot/rising action started like, at about 3/5 of the book??)

Overall, it's a quick and fun read. However, the pace was really, really slow. Stick to it, then it starts to get interesting in the middle. (The part when she went on vacation) Maybe it's because I'm a high school student and
Kayla (Kdrewkthebookworm)
I have to admit, sometimes middle grade fiction has better morals and is much more thought-provoking than young adult fiction.

Having read and reviewed Rebecca Emin's other book, When Dreams Come True, upon finding this book on Netgalley, I figured it would be a good idea to read it as well. And it was! I honestly had such a good time reading this book, and I know others will, too.

New Beginnings revolves around 11-year old Sam, who is starting a new school for seventh grade. She is really scared,
Becky
Dec 01, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Sam doesn't want to change schools, but when her parents decide it's time she started private school she has to make the move. She's terrified she won't fit in and soon her worst fears are coming true. She gets picked out as a target by a bully and she starts to hate her time there, but then she meets a group that accepts her. Can she turn it round and be happy and can she achieve her dream of performing on stage.
Thi
Jenni
Jan 20, 2012 Jenni rated it liked it
This book opens with a scenario I’m sure many readers, both young and older, will be very familiar with – the first day at secondary school. Sam is filled with nerves, she’s the only one from her old school going to this school – it’s a private school that her parents have saved to be able to afford, whereas all of her friends are going to the local school. Within the first few pages (and hours at school) Sam has fallen victim to the class bully and her friends. The book then goes on to chronicl ...more
Karen Whittard
Oct 18, 2016 Karen Whittard rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley, Gingersnap books and Rebeca Emin for the opportunity to read this wonderful moving and insightful book. In exchange for an honest review.

I found myself very moved by this story and engrossed in the storyline from the start.

Sam Hardy is not looking forward to leaving the comfort of her primary school and starting secondary school.

Things only get once when she starts as she gets bullied by a group of children. This is sadly something that effects so many people of all ages.
Susan Mann
Jan 27, 2012 Susan Mann rated it really liked it
I was delighted to hear that Rebecca got her novel published and even more delighted to get to read it when it came out. New Beginnings is aimed at children aged 7+ and I feel every child should read this. As a parent with a child at school, I am pleased to have read it and hope what I have read I can pass on to help my little one.

The story is about Sam and anyone who has suffered any kind of bullying or teasing at school will be able to relate to Sam. I know I could fully relate to her situati
Beth Kemp
Jan 08, 2012 Beth Kemp rated it really liked it
This is a lovely story conveying a clear message about bullying. Girls of around 8 and up will lap this up, absorbing its comfort and advice.

The story told here is charming and engaging. Sam is realistically drawn in her feelings and reactions and it is easy to empathise with her. The bullying is also conveyed realistically, both in terms of the way it builds and the way others react to it. Sam's interaction with the Bullying UK website to get advice is well integrated and clearly demonstrates t
Laura Wilkinson
Jan 13, 2012 Laura Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
New Beginnings is Rebecca Emin's debut novel, and what a good debut it is. It transported me right back to my own school days and the horrid bunch of girls I was afraid of.
Sam Hendry is a good girl - polite, kind and passionate about singing and acting. She is also unhappy. Isolated at the posh new school her parents have struggled to send her to, she is picked on by a group of girls led by manipulative, damaged Molly. Her confidence undermined, Sam struggles to make friends and share her painf
Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile)
Dec 12, 2011 Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile) rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, enjoyed
Review can be found at: www.the-reading-pile.blogspot.co.uk

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This originally caught my interest as it seemed very unique - I hadn't read any books on bullying that didn't have some kind of supernatural element.

The main character Sam moves from her comfortable surroundings into High School which is anything but enjoyable for her. She's bullied, and unfortunately I could relate easily to this character as I went through bullying
Nicole
Aug 28, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade
New Beginnings by Rebecca Emin is a book about a girl named Sam Hendry who faces bullying at her new school. The subject of this book that is carefully dealt with is bullying. Bullying is a problem that many students face today. This book also deals with the everyday life of a soon-to-be teenager.

Sam is a girl who is about to leave her primary school and friends to start at a new school. At the new school Sam does not know anyone there. Sam wants to stay at her primary school where she feel comf
Grass monster
Sep 07, 2016 Grass monster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first read by Rebecca Emin, it is targeted at YA and covers the strong subject of bullying.
Sam Hendry, comes across as a lovely normal polite, down to earth girl. Sam is 11 years old and with a passion for singing and acting, Sam has just left primary school and is not settled or happy at her posh new school. Sam is being bullied by Molly and her crew. As things get worse for Sam she decides to write everything down in a note book so she has a timeline when the time is right to confid
Graham
Aug 11, 2014 Graham rated it liked it
I received this book as part of a goodreads giveaway.

First I would like to say that this book is difficult to rate, it is written for a set market and age group and if I was in that age range I might have given it higher ratings.

The book evolves around Sam, a girl whose background is different from all her new class mates, starting a new secondary school. The idea is very good, a book on bullying and how someone can still prove that they are better than the bully and achieve their dreams.

The bo
Jean Bull
Apr 21, 2012 Jean Bull rated it it was amazing
New Beginnings by Rebecca Emin is about an eleven year old girl who is bullied at school.
I don't think I've read many schoolgirl novels since Malory Towers, and I can't remember much bullying going on there as everyone was having such a "jolly good time".
However, I soon became engrossed with the story about Sam Hendry, a girl starting at a new school on her own, as her primary school friends have all gone to another. This is bad enough, but then she is picked on by Molly and her cronies who dest
Erin
Nov 28, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
I decided I wanted to read this book first because I work in a school library and this is a book geared for the ages at my school, and second because it is about bullying, and we have had a huge anti-bullying campaign in our schools for years.
I am glad that I chose to read this book - I think that kids will benefit from reading it. Many times victims of bullies remain silent, and let the bullying continue, much to their detriment. They don't know how to handle it, who to tell, if they will be b
Roxanne
May 26, 2012 Roxanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-school, teens
Rebecca I am a forever fan! I downloaded your book on my Kindle and read it this weekend. I have young relatives who have experienced what this young girl has, bullying in school. I am going to pass it on to them and my family members who are teachers. Thanks for the web site info too! Your book should be listed as a resource on that website, if it is not. For those tweens/teens who are bullied or even feel alone for whatever reason, this book is encouraging. Too bad that those who bully may nev ...more
John Naylor
Dec 30, 2014 John Naylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

I normal recommend who would enjoy a book at the end of a review but if you have a child of between 8 and 14 who is subject to bullying then I would highly recommend either you or they read this.
It tells the story of Sam who is an eleven year old girl starting a new school. She is bullied by one girl in particular at the start and the book goes through how she deals with it as well as the other activities in her life.
I would have loved to
Emma Debruyne
Feb 18, 2013 Emma Debruyne rated it liked it
GOODREADS FIRST-READS:
I wanted to start on this book, ..., but then I got sick and I wasn't able to pick it up for a week! Luckily I got better and finished it in two days as I loved it! This is a fantastic book for young teens (12-14 years). I think everybody can identify themself with the main character and it deals with a subject everybody can relate to. I mean: everybody at least knows somebody who is being bullied, or maybe you are the one being bullied or maybe you are a bully.
I liked the
Alison Wells
Sep 08, 2011 Alison Wells rated it it was amazing
Sam Hendry is moving on from primary school and her old friends. The transition is not easy. Sam finds herself the victim of bullying as she struggles to find her feet in her new school. Rebecca Emin brilliantly captures the vulnerability and confusion of adolescence and convincingly portrays Sam's experiences and thoughts. The feel good storyline of Sam finding her identity through her talent for music is wonderful and gives the book a great appeal for would be stars! And the ending is just ter ...more
smgK8
*I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in return for my honest and fair review and feedback. *

Sam starts a new school and gets bullied by a group of girls. Throughout the course of the book, Sam encounters other friends (outside of school) and successes in her performing arts endeavors and love life. These successes help her to stand up for herself and the bullying.

This is an important book on bullying. It addresses how so few people could know you were being bullied and how danger
Boo A-c
Aug 11, 2014 Boo A-c rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book on the first reads scheme in exchange for an honest review. Thank You for this opportunity.
This book should have been cheesy. It should have dulled me in two minutes flat and should be getting a negative review however something in me can not do that.
This book is about a young girl being bullied and overcoming it and mastering her talents and it was fantastic. I can’t help thinking when I was bullied how much this book would have meant to me.
Yes it was preachy but to its ta
Sylvie
Jan 01, 2012 Sylvie rated it really liked it
** I received this book as a First reads giveaway. Thanks **

This book should be in every children and school library.

It is really accessible and gives clear indications what should be done when one is the subject of bullying.

In the first 40 pages, I found there were many repetitions and it was a bit tedious. After that, it picked up. I liked how Sam's life evolved and the steps she took to improve her situation.

Suggestion : I felt it would have been interesting to have a reminder page at the e
Maria
Feb 15, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
first of all, i would like to thank the author of this book, Rebecca Emin, who sent me this awsome book that i won from a goodreads giveway......this was the first book i read about bulling and one word i can say....excellent....the main character, sam despite the fact that she is too young and the bulling problems she has at school by molly, she has the courage to move on (with the help of very good friends)...that thing should do all the children or whoever faces these problems and the most im ...more
Hauntedbybooks
Nov 02, 2016 Hauntedbybooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Sam is having to go to a new school and she has a lot of worries. Will she fit in? Find new friends? She soon discovers that middle school has its own set of challenges. A bully starts picking on her and no one seems to want to be her friend. A great story that teaches children and adults alike the effect bullying has. This is a really quick and fun read. I received an eBook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from netgalley.
Melanie Robertson-King
Jul 18, 2012 Melanie Robertson-King rated it really liked it
Timely subject told in a sympathetic manner. Bullying happens at all ages and for a variety of reasons. Rebecca's character, Sam, who is the brunt of the bullying is realistic and the reader empathises with her.

After all, when you're being bullied, you don't want people to know but when Sam discovered a website dedicated to the subject of bullying, she decided to do something about it.

Clarissa Draper
Mar 27, 2012 Clarissa Draper rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
I don't read a lot of YA books but this one was wonderful. My son suffered bullying when he was younger and eventually I pulled him from school to be home-schooled. However, as a parent, I never knew the extent the bullying effected my son until much later. I think one thing this novel does a good job at getting across is the importance of telling someone about the bullying and keeping a journal of the abuse. This book should be read by YA and parents.
Sophie Gonzales
Nov 08, 2011 Sophie Gonzales rated it really liked it
For the full review, visit my blog

New Beginnings is a very easy read (I managed to finish it in under 24 hours), so children won’t have a problem with it. There’s also a lot of extra advice for them on how to deal with bullies, and this will also prove valuable for parents who know or suspect that their child is being bullied.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Holding Back the Day
  • Open Heart (Farsighted, #2)
  • Muse
  • Whose Woman Was She? A True Hollywood Story
  • Six Weeks to Yehidah
  • The Half Life of Ryan Davis
  • Gray
  • Shark & The Wolf: Predators and Prey
  • Book of Prophecies
  • Wishless
  • The Eyes of a Stranger (Nan's Heritage #4)
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
  • Sherlock Holmes and The Missing Snowman
  • The effects of childhood trauma on adult perception and worldview
  • Wormwood
  • Flings and Arrows
  • OTOLI
  • The Last Minute
I have had short stories and flash fiction published in charity anthologies, and also digitally by Ether Books.

'A Knowing Look and Other Stories' is a collection of my short stories and flash fiction published in 2011.

My debut novel, 'New Beginnings' was published by Grimoire Books in January 2012.

My second novel, 'When Dreams Come True' was published on 28 May 2012.
More about Rebecca Emin...