New Beginnings

New Beginnings

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Sam Hendry is not looking forward to starting at her new school. Things go from bad to worse as the day of truth arrives and all of her fears come true... and then some.

When Sam meets a different group of people who immediately accept her as a friend, she begins to feel more positive.

With her new friends and interests, will Sam finally feel able to face the bully who taun

Published January 1st 2012 by Grimoire Books (first published November 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about New Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Beginnings

Lord of the Flies by William GoldingCarrie by Stephen KingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Bullying
17th out of 202 books — 113 voters
قواعد العشق الأربعون by Elif Shafakساق البامبو by سعود السنعوسيثلاثية غرناطة by رضوى عاشورمئة عام من العزلة by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez1984 by George Orwell
كتب أريد أن أقرأها في 2014
388th out of 1,041 books — 494 voters

More lists with this book...

Debdatta D. Sahay (b00k r3vi3ws)
This is the story of Sam Hendry… A girl who is about to leave her comfortable environment of primary school and her friends to start at a new school where there isn’t a familiar face that she can count on. She doesn’t really want to go leave her friends and ‘start over’ again, but has little choice in the matter. To make her worst nightmares come true, she is picked up as a target by the bully of the school. As grim as her life seems to be, she soon finds friends and a group that she can belong...more
Michelle
This is an endearing story about a young girl new to a school who is bullied. We see her meet new friends and cope quite well through the turmoil of one girl singling her out with her nastiness.
This story has a happy ending. Not all bullying stories have happy endings. My heart goes out to all those affected by horrible situations in school, work and life in general.
A great read for 9-12 year olds.
Becky
Sam doesn't want to change schools, but when her parents decide it's time she started private school she has to make the move. She's terrified she won't fit in and soon her worst fears are coming true. She gets picked out as a target by a bully and she starts to hate her time there, but then she meets a group that accepts her. Can she turn it round and be happy and can she achieve her dream of performing on stage.
Thi...more
Erin
I decided I wanted to read this book first because I work in a school library and this is a book geared for the ages at my school, and second because it is about bullying, and we have had a huge anti-bullying campaign in our schools for years.
I am glad that I chose to read this book - I think that kids will benefit from reading it. Many times victims of bullies remain silent, and let the bullying continue, much to their detriment. They don't know how to handle it, who to tell, if they will be b...more
Beth Kemp
This is a lovely story conveying a clear message about bullying. Girls of around 8 and up will lap this up, absorbing its comfort and advice.

The story told here is charming and engaging. Sam is realistically drawn in her feelings and reactions and it is easy to empathise with her. The bullying is also conveyed realistically, both in terms of the way it builds and the way others react to it. Sam's interaction with the Bullying UK website to get advice is well integrated and clearly demonstrates t...more
Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile)
Review can be found at: www.the-reading-pile.blogspot.co.uk

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This originally caught my interest as it seemed very unique - I hadn't read any books on bullying that didn't have some kind of supernatural element.

The main character Sam moves from her comfortable surroundings into High School which is anything but enjoyable for her. She's bullied, and unfortunately I could relate easily to this character as I went through bullying...more
Susan Mann
I was delighted to hear that Rebecca got her novel published and even more delighted to get to read it when it came out. New Beginnings is aimed at children aged 7+ and I feel every child should read this. As a parent with a child at school, I am pleased to have read it and hope what I have read I can pass on to help my little one.

The story is about Sam and anyone who has suffered any kind of bullying or teasing at school will be able to relate to Sam. I know I could fully relate to her situati...more
Cee Martinez
One of the most pressing issues epidemic amongst our young ones today is bullying. Granted, kids left to their own devices will often pull towards a pecking order war like a pen of puppies dragging each other by the ears, but the trend in bullying these days has gone far beyond that. Tales of bullied children as young as eleven or twelve committing suicide over bullying are become so commonplace that headlines are losing their ability to shock us.

Now is a perfect times for fiction and film to de...more
Jean Bull
New Beginnings by Rebecca Emin is about an eleven year old girl who is bullied at school.
I don't think I've read many schoolgirl novels since Malory Towers, and I can't remember much bullying going on there as everyone was having such a "jolly good time".
However, I soon became engrossed with the story about Sam Hendry, a girl starting at a new school on her own, as her primary school friends have all gone to another. This is bad enough, but then she is picked on by Molly and her cronies who dest...more
Laura Wilkinson
New Beginnings is Rebecca Emin's debut novel, and what a good debut it is. It transported me right back to my own school days and the horrid bunch of girls I was afraid of.
Sam Hendry is a good girl - polite, kind and passionate about singing and acting. She is also unhappy. Isolated at the posh new school her parents have struggled to send her to, she is picked on by a group of girls led by manipulative, damaged Molly. Her confidence undermined, Sam struggles to make friends and share her painf...more
Rachel Connor
All of us - adults and children both - have at some time felt that anxiety about not fitting in. So Sam Hendry's situation is both painful and familiar, and we instantly identify with her as a character. And for 7-12 year olds, thinking about starting new schools and the issue of moving up to a larger secondary school, this is an inspiring story of overcoming the odds and dealing with bullying in a sensible way. New Beginnings is a great starting point for talking about bullying, and a great res...more
Jenni
This book opens with a scenario I’m sure many readers, both young and older, will be very familiar with – the first day at secondary school. Sam is filled with nerves, she’s the only one from her old school going to this school – it’s a private school that her parents have saved to be able to afford, whereas all of her friends are going to the local school. Within the first few pages (and hours at school) Sam has fallen victim to the class bully and her friends. The book then goes on to chronicl...more
Roxanne
Rebecca I am a forever fan! I downloaded your book on my Kindle and read it this weekend. I have young relatives who have experienced what this young girl has, bullying in school. I am going to pass it on to them and my family members who are teachers. Thanks for the web site info too! Your book should be listed as a resource on that website, if it is not. For those tweens/teens who are bullied or even feel alone for whatever reason, this book is encouraging. Too bad that those who bully may nev...more
Emma Debruyne
GOODREADS FIRST-READS:
I wanted to start on this book, ..., but then I got sick and I wasn't able to pick it up for a week! Luckily I got better and finished it in two days as I loved it! This is a fantastic book for young teens (12-14 years). I think everybody can identify themself with the main character and it deals with a subject everybody can relate to. I mean: everybody at least knows somebody who is being bullied, or maybe you are the one being bullied or maybe you are a bully.
I liked the...more
Boo A-c
I received this book on the first reads scheme in exchange for an honest review. Thank You for this opportunity.
This book should have been cheesy. It should have dulled me in two minutes flat and should be getting a negative review however something in me can not do that.
This book is about a young girl being bullied and overcoming it and mastering her talents and it was fantastic. I can’t help thinking when I was bullied how much this book would have meant to me.
Yes it was preachy but to its ta...more
Alison Wells
Sam Hendry is moving on from primary school and her old friends. The transition is not easy. Sam finds herself the victim of bullying as she struggles to find her feet in her new school. Rebecca Emin brilliantly captures the vulnerability and confusion of adolescence and convincingly portrays Sam's experiences and thoughts. The feel good storyline of Sam finding her identity through her talent for music is wonderful and gives the book a great appeal for would be stars! And the ending is just ter...more
Sylvie
** I received this book as a First reads giveaway. Thanks **

This book should be in every children and school library.

It is really accessible and gives clear indications what should be done when one is the subject of bullying.

In the first 40 pages, I found there were many repetitions and it was a bit tedious. After that, it picked up. I liked how Sam's life evolved and the steps she took to improve her situation.

Suggestion : I felt it would have been interesting to have a reminder page at the e...more
Maria
first of all, i would like to thank the author of this book, Rebecca Emin, who sent me this awsome book that i won from a goodreads giveway......this was the first book i read about bulling and one word i can say....excellent....the main character, sam despite the fact that she is too young and the bulling problems she has at school by molly, she has the courage to move on (with the help of very good friends)...that thing should do all the children or whoever faces these problems and the most im...more
Talli Roland
Rebecca Emin's 'New Beginnings' is a heart-warming tale about an issue facing many children at school and beyond. Eleven-year-old Sam is being bullied in her new school, yet isn't ready to tell anyone who can help. What Sam does have is a wonderful group of friends, and a great talent as a singer -- both of which help her gain confidence. With insight and skill, Emin draws readers into Sam's world of fear and worry. As a former teacher, I believe this is an uplifting novel that will help many ch...more
Jorden
I received this book from a goodreads giveaway.

This story follows Sam, a girl who just started school year at a new school, it shows you how she loses her confidence all because of 1 person and how she tries to deal with it.
By reading this book you get an example of the impact that bullying can have on a young girl, even when it seems just innocent, it can cause a lot of damage.
I'm really glad i got to read it and I enjoyed it a lot :) , I would certainly recommend it!
Clarissa Draper
I don't read a lot of YA books but this one was wonderful. My son suffered bullying when he was younger and eventually I pulled him from school to be home-schooled. However, as a parent, I never knew the extent the bullying effected my son until much later. I think one thing this novel does a good job at getting across is the importance of telling someone about the bullying and keeping a journal of the abuse. This book should be read by YA and parents.
Sophie Gonzales
For the full review, visit my blog

New Beginnings is a very easy read (I managed to finish it in under 24 hours), so children won’t have a problem with it. There’s also a lot of extra advice for them on how to deal with bullies, and this will also prove valuable for parents who know or suspect that their child is being bullied.
Danielle Woodman
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book in a goodreads give away and I am so pleased I did. Sam is an eleven year old girl who has moved to a school where she knows no one. We follow Sam as she is bullied and then comes out the other side more confident than ever. This is a real story from the heart that all children and parents should read. New beginnings is a very easy read that anyone can get stuck into.
Melanie Robertson-King
Timely subject told in a sympathetic manner. Bullying happens at all ages and for a variety of reasons. Rebecca's character, Sam, who is the brunt of the bullying is realistic and the reader empathises with her.

After all, when you're being bullied, you don't want people to know but when Sam discovered a website dedicated to the subject of bullying, she decided to do something about it.

Danny
I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads.

I found it very enjoyable and found myself empathising with the main character Sam. As i was reading i was constantly in suspense of what was going to happen next. A good book and would recommend to anyone and especially those who also had a hard time in school.

Thanks very much Rebecca Emin

Danny
Glynis Smy
This is a lovely story of innocence with a painful touch of bullying. The blossoming of a young girl not yet in her teens is a lovely read. How she overcomes the school bully and faces her own insecurities has been portrayed well by Rebecca Emin. The story is a great way of getting across to youngsters how do deal with being bullied.
Mona
I was a First Reads winner. It was a rather sweet tale that underlined the idea about how you have to cope with new surroundings, new habits and new places. Although it had a dull start, it soon caught up and the ending sends a rather strong message. A recommended book for preteens!
Chris Bullock
A pleasantly written story about an eleven year old girl moving to her new school. The story revolves around her making friends, and some enemies, plus her successes and achievements. Well written and easily understood and ideal for a Young Adult readership.
Menardo V.Pineda
It is A Very Super great Job to Rebecca and her new Book "New Beginnings." I Love that Book, great Storyline, and the most of all it is a Great Life Lession to Tell. so i'm Give This Book, "New Beginnings." by Rebecca Emin A Super duper FIVE Stars!!!!!
Maialen
Even thought I liked the book, it was sweet and interesting to see how a child would deal with bullying, after reading the synopsis thought it would be more focused on the bullying aspect. Too light.

All in all it was an enjoyable read.
  • Holding Back the Day
  • Six Weeks to Yehidah
  • The Half Life of Ryan Davis
  • I'm Nobody: My Mother Said It; I No Longer Believe It
  • Sparkelicious
  • Open Heart (Farsighted, #2)
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
  • Sherlock Holmes and The Missing Snowman
  • Shark & The Wolf: Predators and Prey
  • The Eyes of a Stranger (Nan's Heritage #4)
  • The Nature of God: 50 Christian Devotions about God's Love and Acceptance
  • Book of Prophecies
  • Interrupted: A Life Beyond Words
  • Muse
  • Becoming a Butterfly (The Butterfly Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Side of Valor: A Novel
  • Wishless
  • The Patriot Paradox (The Reluctant Hero Series - Book 1)
I have had short stories and flash fiction published in charity anthologies, and also digitally by Ether Books.

'A Knowing Look and Other Stories' is a collection of my short stories and flash fiction published in 2011.

My debut novel, 'New Beginnings' was published by Grimoire Books in January 2012.

My second novel, 'When Dreams Come True' was published on 28 May 2012.
More about Rebecca Emin...
A Knowing Look and Other Stories When Dreams Come True A Rocky Road A Collection of Flash Fiction, Part 1 Nothing but Flowers: Tales of Post Apocalyptic Love