Start by marking “The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Hold on to Your Buns, the Burger Revolution Has Begun! "The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet" takes the popular veggie burger to the next level of freshness and flavor, with more than one hundred daringly delicious, internationally inspired vegan burgers-burgers that stack up to any patty around (meat-full or meat-free) and will wow not only your vegetarian and vegan frie...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Fair Winds Press (MA) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet

Jessi
Some of the recipes in here were good. However, it irritates me to no end that the title claims to have 101 veggie burger recipes. This is a lie. There is no getting around it. Some of the recipes are for cookies- and the author basically says "I know these are really cookies, but I'm calling them burgers". What is the point? You're not eating it on a bun with condiments. It is not a burger. Call a cookie a cookie. I got this book, expecting that many burger recipes. I would have been fine if th...more
Lauren
Heh. It is an okay book for flavor ideas and some minor advice, but the recipe I made came out mushy. Most if not all of the recipes are similar, using flour as a binder which makes them mushy. I was hoping for a book that would help me in creating a burger with texture in the center. The second one I made wasn't much better.

It is a neat book and has some neat ideas, but there needs to be more variety as another reviewer said. Most do contain flour as a binder (even if it might be a different ty...more
Taffnerd
Fun to flip through but the recipies all make really soft and mushy burgers. There's got to be a way to make a veggie burger with a bit of tooth, right? I didn't find it here.
Mike
I've made two of these recipes so far and they were both solid. Other recipes I have used for veggie burgers get smashed, fall apart, and are super messy when you go to eat them but the two recipes from this book have yielded patties with good consistencies that held up on the grill and when eating them.

The "Bacon Cheeseburger" is great- a really interesting/different recipe- but it turned out real tasty. As other reviewers note, I'd say that this isn't for soy free/ gluten free kids (the book...more
Jen V
Some of these look really unique but others look yummy. There seem to be lots of ingredients that go into these. I love all the pictures, though!
Jackie
Too many tofu, seitan, and tvp recipes for my liking. Was looking for traditionsla vegetables like corn, broccoli, and spinach.
Rachel
This book grabbed my attention while I was looking at the stacks in the library. I've been wanting to experiment with veggie burgers so I was so happy to see it!

I was disappointed to see so many recipes that use tofu, TVP, and tempeh. I am not vegan, but if I was, I don't think that I would choose to eat these products very often.

I was also bummed to see so many recipes with canned beans that calls for pureeing. I have nearly perfected my falafel recipe (using soaked, uncooked beans. My experie...more
Emily
Creative...but half of the recipes aren't even burgers... Soy was an ingredient that was used too much for my taste as well.
Daniel Schulte
Amazing! We made the Bacon Cheeseburgers and they were awesome. I can't wait to try some more of these.
Erin
I love this cookbook. I think I've used it more than any other cookbook on my shelf. We have probably 6 packages of leftover frozen burgers in the freezer now from the recipes. The variety is fantastic - from middle eastern to chinese to american. Really fun and easy - although I will say the recipes tend to take longer than the ones from my quick and easy or 30-minute cookbooks. But they are very tasty.
Katherine
So there were a few burgers in here I'd like to give a try: Bacon Cheesburger; Aloha Teriyaki Burger; Zucchini Mushroom Burger; and the Baba Ghanoush Burger. I also liked that there were side dish and sauce recipes in there, too.
I was really put off by the recipes at the beginning that were cookies or pancakes but called "burgers". Those aren't burgers, those are cookies or pancakes!! Geez...
VeganMedusa
I made my 5th recipe from this book the other night for potluck - Seitanic Stuffers stuffed with mushroom, garlic and onion. They were a hit.
So of the 5 burgers I've made, 4 were a success. I'm gonna go ahead and give this book 4 stars. It's definitely one I'll be using again and again, unlike some books I could mention that sit in the drawer unused for too long.
Katy
Just bought this book and its so cool. Its laid out really well with lots of fun notes and whatnot and there are tons of pictures (which I really like in a cookbook.) And lots of crazy fun new recipes...like dessert burgers.

Yeaaaa, fun new book for me!
I actually want to go buy some more copies for my friends! That's how much I dig this book
Grace
I got this out from the library to see if I would be interested in buying it (I love Newman's other cookbooks). The recipes are interesting, seem tasty, and stretch the definition of a veggie burger but in the end it was too many burgers for me (I have way too many cookbooks, so I'm trying to be more careful to only buy ones I'll use regularly).
Lynda
101 globally inspired vegan burgers written by Joni Marie Newman who co-authored "The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions." This book is beautifully illustrated. I can't wait to try some of these new tastes. The ingredients are things you can buy anywhere. The recipes look easy.

Kelly
Sep 19, 2014 Kelly is currently reading it
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't yet gotten around to reviewing The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet - but you can see some of the recipe's I've tried here: http://www.easyvegan.info/tag/the-bes...
This book is incredibly badass. It's got a ton of recipes and they're all things I'd never thought of, plus tons of recipes for sauces and things.
Lusitarius
Toivon reseptikirjojen sisältävän kuvia jokaisesta ohjeesta. Monet kirjan resepteistä kuullosti omalle kohdalleni liian haastavilta.
Sorenconard
this is a 3.5 rating. It's a fun book which will get your creative juices flowing. Some of he excution isn't up
My alley though
Brandy
Planning to buy this one. I liked most of the recipes I tried, and there's still so many that I haven't.
Shelly
I've made 10 or so recipes out of this book so far, and they've all been winners.
Diane Noelle
I really enjoyed this.... Easily one of the best cookbooks I have....fun,easy ideas!
Jeff
Pretty good burgers.
Sommer
Sommer marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Doreen Ciesielski
Doreen Ciesielski marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Lillian
Lillian marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
I am just a regular gal who loves to cook and bake...ESPECIALLY for friends and family. Self taught, and still learning, I spend most of my spare time in the kitchen. When I am not in the kitchen, I really enjoy knitting, painting, wasting endless hours on the internet, hiking with my husband and the girls, traveling, reading, and most of the other stuff regular gals enjoy. I am currently residing...more
More about Joni Marie Newman...
Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love Fusion Food in the Vegan Kitchen: 125 Comfort Food Classics, Reinvented with an Ethnic Twist! Cozy Inside: Delicious and Comforting Cruelty Free Recipes. Going Vegan: The Complete Guide to Making a Healthy Transition to a Plant-Based Lifestyle The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite