Start by marking “The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times” as Want to Read:
The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times

The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Now in paperback, a lush and lavish tribute to the greatest music of the last fifty years by the ultimate authority on rock & roll -- Rolling StoneIn the continuing tradition of Rolling Stone's in-depth coverage of the legends of music comes the paperback version of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Compiled by the editors of Rolling Stone and a celebrity panel of ne
Published October 24th 2006 by Wenner Books (first published October 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 500 Greatest Albums of All Times

Varmint
Jan 27, 2008 Varmint rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Found this lying on the table at my dentists. Never understood the whole epic mythos surrounding Rolling Stone. It's just a magazine for people so insecure they need to be told what music to like.
Steven Peterson
Any publication that promises to deliver the 500 Greatest Albums of All. Time is going to face a lot of questions. Fans of one group or another that don't make the list are going to be aggrieved. Or people will disagree about how high or how low a selected work rates. If nothing else these simple facts are going to lead to people discussing this compilation of the best albums of all time.

For one thing, it is simply fun to see how many albums one recalls are listed. It is cool for me to recognize
Kev D'Olivo
I'll admit i haven't read every word, but I'm pretty sure i've covered most of it. This is probably the only cofee table book i will ever pay much attention to but it offeres really interesting details about how albums were made and what was going on behind the scenes of some of the greatest music from the 20th century. The rankings in it really are not that good though. Theres no way in hell Sgt. Peppers is a better album than Revolver.
Christian
Sep 29, 2007 Christian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rock fans who don't have Internet access; if you need a red musical coffee table book
The list is interesting, the essays (for the top-rated albums) spark discussion -- although more comprehensive info can be found at Wikipedia -- but the fact of the matter is that the book doesn't really need to exist physically, as it is available in its entirety at http://www.rollingstone.com/news/stor...
Jim Townsend
Mar 08, 2010 Jim Townsend rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of those "impulse borrows" from the local library. A redundant coffee-table book version of an article and list readily available at http://www.rollingstone.com/, it is a purely subjective ranking of what the musicians, writers, producers, industry insiders, and other critics who voted for them think are the greatest albums of all time. I went through my CD collection and found that I own only 96 of them; including the top seven; nine of the top ten; and ten of the top twelve. ...more
Michael
Meh, Rolling Stone magazine sucks ass.
Thomas
May 16, 2011 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun coffee table book and gets page turns from guests. The list is clearly subjective based on the Rolling [*yawn*] Stone perspective and I can't say I really agree with the ordering at all. Nonetheless, all 500 are great albums and it's fun to look at the original cover art alongside short, interesting blurbs.
Crystal Scott
Jul 14, 2012 Crystal Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent pictures of artist. Excellent album cover pictures.
Dustin C.
An argument starter!
Nathan Booth
Nathan Booth rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Drew Martin
Drew Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Behnaz
Behnaz added it
Jun 03, 2016
Suavi Alper
Suavi Alper rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Paul Deane
Paul Deane rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Redgie
Redgie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
April Taylor
April Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Reginald
Reginald rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Joshua Dabby
Joshua Dabby marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Neeraja Pillarisetti
Neeraja Pillarisetti rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Patsybryant
Patsybryant rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Porsha
Porsha marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Cameron Dempsey
Cameron Dempsey rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Rock Albums Of The 70s: A Critical Guide
  • The Pitchfork 500: Our Guide to the Greatest Songs From Punk to the Present
  • The Rolling Stone Interviews
  • Luther: The Life and Longing of Luther Vandross
  • James Taylor Long Ago and Far Away: His Life and His Music
  • Everything I Know About Business I Learned from the Grateful Dead: The Ten Most Innovative Lessons from a Long, Strange Trip
  • This Must Be the Place: The Adventures of Talking Heads in the Twentieth Century
  • A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks
  • Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped
  • A Cure For Gravity: A Musical Pilgrimage
  • Hardcore Troubadour: The Life and Near Death of Steve Earle
  • A Dull Roar: What I Did on My Summer Deracination 2006
  • The Complete Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics
2198241
Rolling Stone is a U.S.-based magazine devoted to music, politics, and popular culture that is published every two weeks. Rolling Stone was founded in San Francisco in 1967 by Jann Wenner (who is still editor and publisher) and music critic Ralph J. Gleason.
More about Rolling Stone Magazine...