Start by marking “Heaven to Wudang” as Want to Read:
Heaven to Wudang

Heaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,200 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Ancient Chinese mythology comes to life in this bestselling series of martial arts and demons, dragons and gods, legends and lies...and a journey to the depths of Hell. The demons that could control stones and elementals have been defeated, but the most powerful of Simon Wong's associates still remains - the one who can create almost undetectable copies of humans and Shen. ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by HarperCollins Australia (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven to Wudang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven to Wudang

After a much anticipated wait for this book, I wasn't disappointed by the quality and story. However, I was disappointed in the ending. Despite the drawn out question on Emma's unusualness, when we finally find out what she is, it was presented in a casual fashion so much so that you could just skim over the couple of paragraphs that reveal the big truth. The secret of Kitty Wong was more exciting, but it still gave the impression of Chan suddenly panicking and throwing in the twist at the last ...more
Jun 05, 2013 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like: Chinese Mythology or Mythology in general, Urban Fantasy, Martial Arts, Paranormal
This review is pasted for all of the following:
White Tiger (Dark Heavens, #1) by Kylie ChanRed Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2) by Kylie ChanBlue Dragon (Dark Heavens, #3) by Kylie ChanEarth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1) by Kylie ChanHell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2) by Kylie ChanHeaven to Wudang (Journey to Wudang #3) by Kylie Chan

4 1/2 STARS

Reasons I bloody LOVE! Kylie Chan's "Dark Heavens" & "Journey to Wudang" (& soon to be "Celestial Battle") trilogies. . .

#1. You do not need to read the "Dark Heavens" trilogy before reading the "Journey to Wudang" trilogy. It wouldn't hurt, because you'll want to know what happened, but essentially, you can just jump right in at book 4 of the complete series or book 1 of "Journey to Wudang".

#2. These books are written with a lo
Sean the Bookonaut
It is with some embarrassment that I admit that while I had seen Kylie Chan’s books many times before I had always assumed that she was American for some reason and that her books were YA.

Kudos goes to Rowena Cory Daniells and her series of interviews of female fantasy writers for correcting of the first of those misunderstandings and Kylie Chan for the second.

Heaven to Wudang was a review copy sent to me by the publisher. Unfortunately it’s the third book in a trilogy (or sixth if you count her
Heaven to Wudang is the third novel in the Journey to Wudang series by Australian author, Kylie Chan. While the demon essence has been removed from Emma, John has disappeared again, until Simone manages to track the turtle down in Hanoi. His appearances are a bit like a badly-tuned radio station: his form, gender and memory are all highly variable. In this instalment: Gold and Amy make babies and get married; Kitty Kwok and the Snake Death Mother kidnap at least two members of the Chen household ...more
Laz the Sailor
This series is a labradoodle with dreadlocks - a shaggy dog story on steroids! This book concludes the second trilogy - with a cliffhanger! Arrggh! After 6 books (over 3000 pages), we're almost back where we started. There are hundreds of characters, including mortals, gods, demons, sentient rocks, and other mythical creatures. Almost everyone dies at least once.

And yet, I've been compelled to read them. Although the writing is not elegant, and can get a bit repetitive (the characters even comme
3.5 Stars

I hate being left on such a big cliffhanger.

I cannot say to much or I will ruin it - I will say that we learn something about Emma that I thought was kinda annoying.

I hope the next 3 books (which I didnt know was going to exist) redeem this series.

I met the author and had books signed and she said there was only going to be the six books. While I am happy that there will be more. I was expecting this book to finalise everything so I am miffed that it didnt.

Heather Boerner
This is where I get off the Wudang train. I eagerly read all the books in this series, anticipation building for the reveal of what Emma is, for the return of John--all of it. But after six long and sometimes awkwardly written (but entertaining) books, the answer is far from satisfying. When my roommate handed me the first book in this series, White Tiger, she told me she didn't like the fact that the back cover promised to tell us what Emma was but didn't.

I was willing to go along, all to answ
Ray (warrior of randomness) XP
The book was somewhat shocking and it pissed me off on what happened at the end. I like the book but it had less action in it and more gore. The gory scenes would give me nightmares.

The book was really good and I hope the next book is as good as It's predecessors
This whole series is fun, and a quick light read. It gets dark at times, but not so dark as to be unsuitable for most people. The most compelling part is the involvement with Chinese mythology. There's been a start to looking at the mythologies of the other regions of the world, but they've been touched upon shyly at best.

This particular book is the 6th in what appears to be a series of 9 books (I hope, I'm not too sure how much longer Ms. Chan can continue with it). Although this has been prese
This book is a fascinating blend of modern technological times and mystical, ancient deities. The constant troubles that the main characters have to face, all at the same time, makes for an action-packed and exciting read. This book contains many humorous character interactions, internal and subtle conflicts.

My absolute favourite scene in this book is the wedding at the end of the book. The reaction of the bride's mother when she finds out how old the groom is... just priceless. The mother is a
I was very thrilled to pick up volume 3 of Chan's second series. And I couldn't wait to get to the final page to read the conclusion of the story. I was disappointed that book ended with the Serpent is still trapped in the Jade cage of the Demon King, meaning another book or books are yet to come!

Kylie must be enjoying the story and the characters, and so did I, but I feel the stretch!

There isn't any major breakthrough in terms of new ideas or celestial powers. In the earlier volume, I was very
Heaven to Wudang – Kylie Chan

Novella – “Small Shen” Prequel - release date Dec 1st 2012

In this third novel, the conclusion to this second trilogy, but presumably not the series because of the cliffhanger ending, John is now back but most certainly not at full strength. Emma is suffering from a disease that was a most unexpected twist in the plot for me; and she finally finds out just what she is. Leo still wants to die, loved ones are kidnapped and broken, and there is total chaos. This was an
The final volume of Kylie Chan's second trilogy arguably leaves the story even more open-ended than did Blue Dragon, the conclusion to her first one. However, this story maintains the overall quality of the series and leaves potential for the final three book arc.

As Emma and the gang try to prepare for Kitty Kwok's final gambit, desperate measures are called upon to bring John back to life. And if John returns, is Emma's disappearance inevitable?

While I'd like to love this book, and there are so
Matteo Wong
This book, Heaven to Wudang, is an interesting story, and the end of the second trilogy by Kylie Chan. The story is about a woman named Emma, who is engaged to John Chen, who is really Xuan Wu, the Chinese god of darkness and martial arts. The back story of this series is that it is about Emma and John, as well as John's daughter fighting off hordes of demons from Hell. But behind their powerful fighting, they are an emotional family that is learning about themselves and each other. You learn th ...more
I am really disappointed. I have loved this series and while I don't necessarily want it to end, I expected more resolution than I got from the end of this second trilogy. While the revelations were big to the series as a whole, I couldn't help but feel as if some of the main events were simply repeats from earlier books which made the book drag. Not a lot of new, unexpected, exciting scenes. John's return was a bit underwhelming.

I think the problem was that I'd expected this to be the end of th
Heather Rohrer
I admit to not seeing the twist coming so that was refreshing, but that doesn't make up for yet another book where there's a lot of fighting their way through different versions of the same challenges.
Dr susan
Kylie Chan's offbeat, often off color, sense of humor adds refreshing, and much needed, light spots to some very grim books. Characters die in multiples, torture is common, deception is normal, and loss is a normal feeling. That said, HTW is a book full of twisty surprises, shocks, tragedy and steadfast love between Emma and John, who is very present in this book in unexpected forms. Unfortunately, Chan does not understand the concept of 'trilogy', and there is too much story left untold. Hopefu ...more
This is by far the best book so far in the series. This book is packed full of action and so much is revealed. Emma faces several trails throughout this book, and these are some of the worst times she has faced.

The best part of this book is you learn so many secrets of the characters. You also learn what Emma is! Several of the characters have split-personalities, and the reader learns how the characters use this to their advantage. There is more to the characters than you have ever know in the
Jenny Delandro
I am getting increasing frustrated by the lack of actual progress in this book series. (lets just put all books written by Kylie Chan)
Emma and John are still not together, he is absent a lot ...

There is still a looming threat to their life, as always

people grow up .. change partners ... have shildren.. change sides, but still in the back of mind is this single thought...

She could have written one single 3 books series!!!

Instead we have the possibility of 9 books... ???really??!!!! SERIOUSLY!

SHIZ! Cliff hanger! Gah... Need to keep reading!
Sarah Clifton
Bloody awesome!! Loved the bombshell at the end so unexpected that my jaw dropped to the floor :O
Hershel Shipman
I was quite disappointed and frustrated by this book, i had expected resolution and conclusion, and instead it feels like the author is looking to milk the characters and storyline as much as possible and will write another book / trilogy for the sake of it, not sure i'll bother to continue reading this series, but still respect Chan's writing and style enough that i'd pick up a new series or book outside this series by her.
Toni Yan
It's a bit of the same but Kylie's writing style seems to have evolved from her first novel, White Tiger.

While the ending leaves the it open for her next trilogy, it does resolve several problems, particularly for Emma, which had accrued over the books. It also helps unravel the mystery of Kitty Kwok and her role throughout the story.

Overall, it's an enjoyable read for those that like a bit of action mixed with mythology.
I think this instalment was better. Emma is a bit more believable and there was less of the Emma's-so-wonderful-martyrish-incredibly-stupid-here's-a-gold-coin ridiculousness of past books. I'm ready for this series to end and am disappointed there's yet another book to come to see how things pan out. I do feel for the characters the trials they are put through but I think it's time to wrap things up.
Dec 11, 2011 Estara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy series and guilty pleasure
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2011
i love how this is so unlike other urban fantasy. i love how emma is so "shit happens, and then you die" about everything. i can see how some people would feel very strongly about the way it plays out. but it just makes me like it more. the emotional mix, or some might say lack there of, is so different than other heroines out there. can't wait for the tiger one.
Some people said in their reviews that nothing actually happened in this part of the series.

Personally I think it ties up a lot of loose ends, and does progress in the story.

But they're right in saying John's return was anticlimatic - as was Leo's draining.

Either way, still loved it and definitely looking forward to the next book.

• Wounded (Little Goddess, #2)
  • The Queen of All Magick Elizabeth (Aaron's Kiss, #14)
  • The Devil & Venus di Milo (Witches Anonymous, #0.5)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Wolf Who Rules (Elfhome, #2)
  • Love Pistols, Volume 4
  • Black Sun Light My Way (Children of the Black Sun, #2)
  • Corrigan Magic (Corrigan, #2)
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 12
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 5
  • Crimson Spell Bd. 4
Kylie doesn't participate in the Goodreads network. You can find her fanpage on Facebook or visit her website at

Kylie Chan married a Hong Kong national in a traditional Chinese wedding ceremony in Eastern China, lived in Australia for ten years, then moved to Hong Kong for ten years and during that time learnt a great deal about Chinese culture and came to appreciate the custom
More about Kylie Chan...

Journey to Wudang (3 books)
  • Earth to Hell (Journey to Wudang, #1)
  • Hell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2)

“The Serpent lies on the carpet, alone. The city lights shine through the windows. It raises its head and tastes things gone; it drops its head and returns to the sea.

The Turtle raises its head from the water; the lake stretches around it. People point and talk, excited. It goes to the bottom and settles in the mud.”
“The Serpent lies in a cage of jade, the demons laugh and poke it. It does not cry.

The Turtle lies on a hospital bed unconscious in a haze of pain, dreaming of being hole.

They want to be one and know it cannot be.”