Start by marking “The Cat Behavior Answer Book: Practical Insights & Proven Solutions for Your Feline Questions” as Want to Read:

Cats are lovable, funny, attentive listeners, and wonderfully cuddly. They can also be tenacious, persnickety, and maddeningly aloof. Arden Moore explains the mysteries behind your feline friend s thoughts and actions, from that inexplicable fascination with catnip to kneading blankets, chasing mice, and dozens of other complexities of cat behavior. With a handle on what s ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Storey Publishing (first published June 22nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Behavior Answer Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Behavior Answer Book

Anna
Jul 30, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book was totally amazing!

Despite having read various stuff on cats and despite inevitable repetitions, as well as the fact that a good deal of the information was something I already know, the book is still plain gorgeous. Why? Because of the cute drawings, of course! :) It's one of those things you feel thrilled just to hold in your hands: good paper, good font, amazing black&white drawings, interesting random facts about cats (really enjoyed those), a lot of useful information. I espe
Ryan
Feb 19, 2008 Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, hobbies
Funny little book all about cat "psychology". Mostly in Q&A format, I thought I'd take a look at it since I spied it on the library display shelf. Things I learned from this book: the wonders of double-sided tape for keeping the kitties off the counter, cats mark their territory with oils from their whiskers (that's why they rub up again you), and you can test your cat's IQ by seeing if it has object permanence (just like you would with a small child). Oh, and cats knead because it is ...more
Rachel
Sep 18, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I've only read this book once, but I remember little snippets like cats hiding their illnesses, or going into their liter boxes when they are scared and want to surround themselves with their own scent. I just recommended this book on Litsy; some folks added it to their to-read lists! :p
Leanne Russ
Jul 28, 2010 Leanne Russ rated it it was amazing
When I first picked this book up from a Borders bookshelf, I was doubtful. I thought, "I bet it is just a book that repeats questions, teaches you how to train your kitten to use the liter box, and I don't know, why they meow?" But no, I was wrong.

Arden Moore has written a humorous, factual book that keeps me reading. People send her very short stories of a problem and question about their cat's behavior. The stories are sometimes funny, and I learned a lot about my fellow felines.

Some cool fact
Robin
Jul 24, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: first time cat owners
A good book for a new cat owner, however most information will be obvious to anyone who has owned cats before. There were a few useful bits of information I found in here, but nothing worth suffering through 300 + pages for.

What I Liked
The author seems very knowledgeable about cats.
There's a good list of resources in back of book.
The illustrations are nice.

What I Didn't Like
The question and answer format is annoying. It seems like a poor excuse to use instead of writing an actual book.
Some of th
Meagan Houle
Aug 08, 2014 Meagan Houle rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this informative little book. It's ill-suited to real cat experts like breeders and exhibitors, but the average cat owner may find a lot of useful ideas here. It covers everything from behavioural problems, to clicker training, to detailed insights into how the feline brain works. Again, a lot of this information will seem elementary to someone who has really done their research on cats, but most cat lovers will find this readable and useful. Some of the humour's a little corny, ...more
Sheryl
Apr 17, 2013 Sheryl rated it liked it
A cute, informative book, written with a touch of humor (& adorable pictures). If I didn't already know so much about cat behavior it would have been really helpful. It was still a fun read for those who, like me, love cats. I would say it's definitely a good book for people who have their first cat, or just haven't bothered to delve into what makes those warm, furry, loveable little creatures tick.
Dolly
Feb 22, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cat owners
Shelves: nonfiction, pets, 2014
This is an interesting book that offers answers to common questions that cat owners have. The book is fairly lengthy and covers a wide range of topics. Our youngest daughter picked this book out at our local library, but merely skimmed through it. It was coming due and I thought I'd give it a quick read. It didn't really offer any new information from what I've read before, but it's a good reminder about how to properly care for and train a cat.

new word: crepuscular
Kristine
Sep 21, 2016 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - I adopted 2 furbabies - and I was used to having an older kitty - It helped me remember a few things I had forgotten and taught a few new things ... What they like, why they act the way they do, and I also learned that some kitties do not go by the book :)
Kain
Oct 24, 2011 Kain rated it liked it
Bardzo fajna ogółem. Szkoda, że raczej na możliwość posiadania kota poczekam jeszcze. Jeden minus, że porady się powtarzają, ale tego nie dało się uniknąć, bo na różne problemy może być podobne rozwiązanie. Spoko książka.
Christine
Nov 26, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read, and gave me a lot of insight into my cat. I enjoyed the Q and A format, and the blurbs highlighted in blue sections full of facts and tips. There is a lot of good information presented in this book and the stories are often quite funny and/or cute.
Mar 20, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I learned so many interesting facts about cats and their behavior. Great book!!
Cheryl
Apr 21, 2015 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: cats
I found this book rather educational, although it didn't answer all of my questions as to whether Minerva is abnormal, acting out, or just being a cat when she does the things that drive me nuts.
Courtney
Sep 20, 2011 Courtney rated it it was ok
I didn't care for the question-answer format the whole way through and it was mostly obvious information.
Cara Ellison
Jul 28, 2012 Cara Ellison rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, cats
It's too shallow and meagre to really give insight to cat behaviors. Still, I did find a few tips that I value.
Aug 05, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, ebooks
Very informative, took me awhile to read because i was reading it in between other books. Good advice on traveling plus moving tips which will become helpful next year.
Kristen
Jan 12, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
Fun and easy book. Nothing new for me here, but probably a fine resource for someone who doesn't know much about cats.
Debby Blunt
Debby Blunt rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Chad
Chad rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2010
Cyndie
Cyndie rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2010
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Katy LaFary
Katy LaFary rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2009
Sheri Millard
Sheri Millard rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Shan
Shan rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Lynn-Marie Green-White
Lynn-Marie Green-White rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Teri Zipf
Teri Zipf rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Starting from Scratch: How to Correct Behavior Problems in Your Adult Cat
  • The Secret Life of Your Cat: Unlock the Mysteries of Your Pet's Behaviour
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus
  • The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats
  • Cat
  • Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics
  • Red Herrings and White Elephants
  • Witches
  • Get Motivated!: Overcome Any Obstacle, Achieve Any Goal, and Accelerate Your Success with Motivational DNA
  • Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food
  • Dogs are from Neptune (Dogs Behaving Badly!)
  • A Dickens of a Cat: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love
  • The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats
  • The Cat Owner's Manual
Arden Moore is an animal behavior consultant and the author of 20 books on cats and dogs, including What Dogs Want. She has appeared on The Today Show, Fox News, CNN Headline News, HGTV's "Smart Solution," Martha Stewart Living Radio, NPR and hundreds of other programs. She has been the editor of Fido Friendly and Catnip magazines, and host of "Oh Behave!" weekly radio show on Pet Life Radio.com.
More about Arden Moore...