Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever!

Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever!

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Illus. in full color. Favorite Scarry animal characters introduce simple learning concepts and over 700 words.
Published September 12th 1979 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever!

Jessica
This book makes me crazy because I feel like I should read every word in it, but my two year old son loves it and wants it at bedtime. We compromise by following Mr. Frumble and his hat.
Brit
Apr 06, 2014 Brit added it
Category: Concept and informational books
Author: Richard Scarry
Illustrator: Richard Scarry
Title: Richard Scarry’s Best First Book Ever!
Publication date: 1979
Brief annotation: Richard Scarry’s illustrated book introduces over 700 learning concepts and words.
Themes: beginning learners, new concepts, new words
Ways to use the book with children: Beginner’s introduction to encyclopedias and new concepts/words
Sarah Sammis
While there are some oddities in the book (like the parents sleeping in separate beds and Mommy Cat always wearing a dress), it's still a good and solid introduction for vocabulary building. Every page has every item labeled in a variety of situations and places: home, the kitchen, the living room, the laundry room, school, the grocery store, an ice cream parlor, and so forth. It also introduces the basic parts of the body, color theory and counting.

Richard Scarry's books often times contain a r...more
Michael
Jul 27, 2014 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michael by: Aryana
Read it again this year, but made a game of finding the different objects mentioned in the book, from tools, fruits, vegetables, ships, boats, farm equipment, chores, among the many objects and actions found in daily life.

Aug 1, 2013 A1 and A2 had fun learning about colors, the alphabet, counting, good manners, shapes and sizes, the months of the year, and more than 700 words. Yes, I slightly modified the description of the book to suit my review. I have always been a fan of Richard Scarry's boo...more
Mark
Packed with Richard Scarry's detailed and signature illustrations, Best First Book Ever would make a wonderful introduction for a small child to the author's world of Busytown. In the company of Huckle the Cat, Lowly the Worm, Mr. Frumble, Miss Honey and many others small children can learn so much from this book. With over seven hundred words to discover and all sorts of funny accidents to laugh about, small children and new readers will be kept very busy looking through the pages.

I read this f...more
Weeny
Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! を買ったので、内容を比べるために図書館で借りてみました。遜色がなかったのでざっと眺めるだけにして図書館に返しました。同じ内容がBest Storybook Ever!に載っているのだけどイラストの絵柄は違うもので、私はBest Storybook Ever!の方が好みのキャラクターでした。
BoekenTrol
Jan 04, 2009 BoekenTrol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all parents with young children
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: my brother has one
Frankly speaking, When I first read this book I was way to old for it. My brother got it for his 3rd (?) birthday and fell in love with it immediately. He refused to let go of it, took it everywhere he went. Curious as I was (and still am), I took the book in a moment that he was not there and liked it very much too. The humor, drawings, words that were explained, fantastic!
So, when I got the chance, I let my son read it too. And the story repeated itself :)
Liesl
Wonderful book! Covers a ton of basic topics with fun, colorful illustrations featuring Richard Scarry's classic characters that I loved as a child. There was so much to read on each page that I read a little to my 8-month-old son at a time. He was so fascinated by the busy pictures that he kept leaning forward and batting at the pages! We are sure to revisit this book many times in the future.
Vanessa Lee
I remember this book from when I was a kid so perhaps it gets stars for nostalgic value. My children now love it. It is pretty timeless... Well, except for the outdated box television set, radio and landline telephone! Oh we'll, it now has historic value too.
Natalie
My 22 month old son LOVES this book! It is full of words and pictures of things that he sees everyday, and he surprises me now when he can point to the pictures and name the things that he sees without me telling him what they are!
Yvette Benner
This was my favorite book as a preschooler. So when I had my son, I naturally picked a copy of this book up. He LOVES it as well. The illustrations of day to day activities plus the word association is fantiastic.
R.
If you do not smile at Scarry's kitten family then you are a bottomless void of despair.

Also, Scarry's influence is obvious in the set design of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
Brooke
I remember these from my childhood. Grabbed one at Powell's the greatest bookstore on earth. I love the rotary phones and lack of technology vocabulary options. And searching for lowly the worm is super fun.
Heather
Awesome book ~ can keep a toddler entertained for a long time! Highly recommend for waiting rooms, airplane travel...anywhere a little one will have to sit for extended periods.
Michelle
A fun, exciting read to your children about the world inside and out! Teaches children manners and politness towards others and the world around them! My kids loved this book!!
Alexandra Chauran
This book is busy and full. I wish that it was more travel sized, because this is the sort of book that occupies for a long time rather than a quick story read.
Ruth
I almost forgot about Richard Scarry! When I think of my childhood and my parents reading to me, this author is one of the first to come to mind.
Gail
A good companion to Cars and Trucks. Lots of pictures and details.
Benjamin Plume
This guy's stuff is timeless.
Tricia
viv loved it. lots of words.
She can't get enough of it!
Theresa
good early reader
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
  • The Nose Book
  • This is Paris
  • If You'll Be My Valentine
  • First 100 Words
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • 1 Is One
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Little Miss Giggles
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
What Do People Do All Day? Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! Cars and Trucks and Things That Go Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever